Thread: How to make custom voices in AO

How to make custom voices in AO

Custom Sound Tutorial.

The files for the new voice sounds are stored in the folder below as default.
    • C:\Program Files\Funcom\Anarchy Online\cd_image\sound\sfx\player

The files are of the format .wma (Window Media Audio).

Each .wma file has a .txt file with it that adds an 'on-screen' comment when the file is played.

And the format of the name of the files relates to the Breed_Sex_Style_Voice_01

Example: When a female solitus charactor uses the '/voice yes' command with the 'your voice' slider set to military (found in OPT-Audio) , AO playes the file solitus_female_military_yes_01.wma & also uses the file solitus_female_military_yes_01.txt to write in-game the msg 'Affirmative!'.

Now for the fun part... to add your own custom sounds you need some .wma files, most of the sound files i wanted to use were .wav files from a collection of sweet clips i've had for ages, so i needed a file converter.

The converter i used is linked here http://www.wma-converter.com/

Just use the converter to convert any .wav file to .wma format & put it into a temp folder on your desktop.

Rename the files to use the Breed_Sex_Style_Voice_01 format so AO can find the file to be used.

Example: hello.wav -----> becomes hello.wma after conversion. Then is renamed solitus_female_military_hello_01.wma.

After this your nearly there... add a .txt file named solitus_female_military_hello_01.txt with the following text in it 'Hello custom sounds!'

Now copy your new sound & txt file to C:\Program Files\Funcom\Anarchy Online\cd_image\sound\sfx\player

Fire up AO... then test your new voice with the command /voice hello ( Remember to be a solitus female with the 'your voice' slider set to military (found in OPT-Audio) if you followed this post like a tutorial ).

Enjoy..

ps. dont try to add new custom sounds while AO is running...

um i find this weird... all my files are wav to start with... didn't have to use any wma files...
    Q u o t e:
    ((OOC))

Pardon me for hijacking the thread, here..

But, Brion - if you don't want your mother to know you were up and on the computer at 3:29 in the morning - DON'T post on a forum that she reads.

Busted.
    Grounded.

From the WoW forums. best PWNAGE EVAH!!!

after checking ... your correct... you can just use the .wav files without converting them...

I stand corrected

so k What i do find interesting is that you can use wma files.. makes me wonder if you can use MP3's... will check when i get home...
    Q u o t e:
    ((OOC))

Pardon me for hijacking the thread, here..

But, Brion - if you don't want your mother to know you were up and on the computer at 3:29 in the morning - DON'T post on a forum that she reads.

Busted.
    Grounded.

From the WoW forums. best PWNAGE EVAH!!!

However if you do convert .wav files to .wma files it saves space on the size of the file... 1.3 meg wav converted to .wma format at 160 KBit/s --- 44,100 Hz --- Stereo saves a 0.37 megs.

So if you put a big compilation together it might be a good plan to convert to save space...

Well I made a set and it worked great as .wav then I converted it to .wma so I could post it to my guilds forum. The .wma doesn't work. Or I didn't do it right one. Are you sure you got it to work with .wma file formats? Or did you leave the .wav file in the folder too and It just played that?

Why would anyone want to change the cool mage voices?

Groovy baby, yeah!

I looked into the .wma file playback issue & found only a few .wma files played back in-game... not sure why..

I suggest you just use the .wav file & rename them.. & pop them in a zip file for compression..

Sorry if this has wasted anyones time in big batch conversions

Hmm, i tried renaming sound files in other games to what AO loads up as a script for a sound. for example, in fallout tactics i took the file 'laser1.wav.' I found a custom sound i liked in a different folder, renamed it 'laser1.wav' and then dragged it to the sounds folder. It asked me to overwrite, and i clicked yes, and then ingame any weapon that loads 'laser1.wav' would play my custom sound. So my question is here would that work with AO too? like could i calibrate sounds to certain weapons, certain songs to specific areas by naming another file the same and overwriting it?
    "A man is someone who has a cause he's willing to fight for and has a woman in his life he'll do anything to protect."
    -SDI Ssgt. Port, USMC, MCRD Parris Island S.C.

Experienced Stars "Stromm" Nstripes - Retired

Fun stuff: 1 2 3 4 (NEW!!)

Another question:

WHen using these custom sounds - are you the only one who hears them or will these actually be transmitted over the net to other users so they hear them aswell ?

/D
    Bullmuzzle - Borealis armsdealer
    Darumar - Retired Blitzer

To Grid, Shoot Straight and Speak The Truth.

The human race have always sought outwards, they built spaceships, explored their solar-system, other planets, then the galaxies. We seek inwards, into the Grid - infinite possibilities in finite physical entity - through wires, connectors, processors, transistors - we build a world without boundaries.

To answer Stromm's question, I'd probably say yes you can just swap .wav files... I havent tried this yet so dont take that as tried & tested.

If you do try it... i would suggest backing up any files you wish to change 'just incase'

To answer Darmar's question - the sounds you create are only on your PC... unless you send them out to friends to hear too.

Maybe someone should make a site for AO custom sounds to upload & download from... so we can all get some Role Play voices that are a lil' bit better than the ones FC added in NW.

Check out the sounds that are already in the sound folders... there are quite a few cool clips in there.... its just a matter of hunting them down

Check out these 2 clasic Yutto songs found in C:\Program Files\Funcom\Anarchy Online\cd_image\sound\sfx\creatures\yottos

Listen to yutto_song_07 & yutto_song_08

I spent several hours on /follow at the yutto camp when i first found it, just for these

lol. Didnt know yuttos could speak norwegian.....err sing I mean
    Mithrax 220 agent gimp. My current armor and symbiants.
    Proud member of ze Legion

"If you don't like something change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
    Maya Angelou

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude."
    Thomas Jefferson