Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AORC.exe

AORC.exe

I downloaded this AO chat program and obviously am a bit concerned.

It asks for username and password. Obviously I didnt.

This is normal for logging into AO ingame chat, but how doI know my passwords are not sent to some malicious unknown destination?

So you can see my concern and why I cannot use such a 3rd party tool?

So, Im wondering, who made this tool so their validity can be ascertained...

Thankyou
    Last edited by Orchid; Dec 8th, 2002 at 09:15:28.

Why not use the already exisiting 'official' one?

And you shouldnt really ever, EVER have to put your ao user/pass into a third party tool.

Its asking for trouble.

I did say that I didnt use this tool. I am merely asking for verification on it before considering it.

It does appear to be much nicer then the java one onsite.

You can never be sure about any third party tools.

Everyone should use a firewall though by now, and with those you can block or free specific connections.

For example for a chat tool, only allow it to connect to the chat server you want to reach in the Firewall and don't give it full access to the internet.

A lot of people use aorc, so far I never heard of any problems.
    RK1 Guild Apocalypse

Dillon "Duradas" Belote, Fixer
    Kiyoko "Selarana" Vallone, Meta Physicist
    Donald "Jorman" Dublin, Bureaucrat
    Burl "Gnorrg" Marinos, Enforcer
    Florence "Florania" Aronstein, Doctor
    ----
    RK3, Arnold "Gideon" Reineman, Enforcer

AORC was written by a guy in my guild.. we have all used it for a long time and it's a great proggy... If you use ClickSaver/AOMD.. u shouldnt be afraid to use this great lil puppy...
    Just use a firewall! :P
    McDaddeh - Enforcer RK1
    "STFU or i'll shove your head down your throat."'

Wuushu - Soldier RK1
    "Soldiers don't die, we just go to hell to regroup."

Phizzer - Fixer RK1
    "I'm teh l337 h4xz0r-$mürf"

Proud Veteran of Synergy Factor

clicksaver/aomd dont ask for your account password.

How does that matter? A good programmer can retrieve it from your system anyways..

But im sure when Sarel*** didnt intend to steal our guilds passwords when he wrote it for the guild Leet. We have never have any problems with accounts in our guild and we've all pretty much used it..
    McDaddeh - Enforcer RK1
    "STFU or i'll shove your head down your throat."'

Wuushu - Soldier RK1
    "Soldiers don't die, we just go to hell to regroup."

Phizzer - Fixer RK1
    "I'm teh l337 h4xz0r-$mürf"

Proud Veteran of Synergy Factor

If there was no password necessary I could log in as you and say whatever i wanted...

AORC doesn't steal your password.
    ~Chris

I have heard only good things about this tool so I am not really su****ious, but being investigatory in a healthy way I think.

Better safe than sorry!
    But, so far, I haven't had any problems.
    ~Q~
    [QAETUS]-[FIRST ORDER]
    Qaetus the Chain Insurance Claim Caster
    ‘I asked God for strength that I might achieve; I was made weak that I might learn humbly to obey.
    I asked for help that I might do greater things; I was given infirmity that I might do better things.
    I asked for riches that I might be happy; I was given poverty that I might be wise.
    I asked for all things that I might enjoy life; I was given life that I might enjoy all things.
    I got nothing that I asked for, but everything I had hoped for. Despite myself, my prayers were answered. I am among all men most richly blessed.’

My guess is Dev and ARK has checked this out fully.

Originally posted by Emiko_MoK
    clicksaver/aomd dont ask for your account password.
    clicksaver/aomd have been known to record keystrokes and send them to other computers, jsut because it isnt blatent doesnt mean its not there =].

Re: AORC.exe

Originally posted by Emiko_MoK
    This is normal for logging into AO ingame chat, but how doI know my passwords are not sent to some malicious unknown destination?
    I guess you really don't. I do not transfer the usernames or passwords in ANY way out of AORC. This is meant to be a nice third party chat program for Anarchy Online, and in no way would I ruin the application's or my own reputation by adding things like that.

But then again, you can't just take someone's word for it. As others have suggested, you can set up a firewall to only allow AORC to connect to the specific hosts and ports for the AO dimensions (you can get those hosts and ports in the latest version of AORC).

Basically it comes down to trust. This really isn't asking you to trust anymore than CS, Nano Nanny, or any other EXE that you willingly download and run, and could either help you with your clusters or erase your entire harddrive.

As a side note, I also develop professionally for a living IRL, so this also plays into ethics. Again, you don't know me from any other online scum, but putting back-doors, virii, trojans, etc in my applications is something I would NEVER do.

Anyways, if you do build up the trust to try out AORC, I very much hope you like it

I would just like to thank the creator of AORC for replying. I also code and have made the same speechto people I have sent files to. Also it applies to transfer items for someone in game.

Trust.

Anyways, what you say rings perfectly with how I sound when I explain a similar situation to some one with the same concerns. So, thankyou again for replying

Quoted from another post:______________________________
    clicksaver/aomd have been known to record keystrokes and send them to other computers, jsut because it isnt blatent doesnt mean its not there =].
    __________________________________________________ __

I have to disagree with the above statement. I have my firewall (NIS2002) set to warn me whenever anything attempts to connect or send data either incoming or outgoing and neither CS or AOMD has ever been flagged.

If you think you have spyware on your system download and run AD-AWARE.
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/index.html
    All the file sharing programs like Kazaa and download managers like Mozilla and products like Gator send your info to their data tracking servers.

PS How do you inset the copied quote like Sarelrons?

I would just type it here, but it would turn it into a quote

See this link for vB code help and scroll down to where it says "Quoting Other Messages" for the code.

Originally posted by Sheffy
    I would just type it here, but it would turn it into a quote

See this link for vB code help and scroll down to where it says "Quoting Other Messages" for the code.

Or far easier is to just hit the quote button on the post you want to quote. (It is next to the edit button)
    Active Characters consist of.

Wingto proud to be a member of The Dojo
    Doktaw stunned to be a member of Friends of The Dojo

Inactive Chars consist of

Severena happy to be a member of Friends of The Dojo
    Shackira a proud member of The Sentinals =TDF=
    All on Rimor

Arrow

Indeed, though if responding to a long message, don't quote it all if you don't have to... most irritating...
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

I'll vouch for it too, sarel was in my guild and I've used it since he mad eit, its great and hes a great guy that wouldnt steal your password...

However always virus scan these progs etc, because although he wrote it with good intention, other hackers could add their own trojan to it or something.
    If you can't beat them, Hit them in the face with a wrench

Rubirango

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast