Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20 days In-game as a Fixer (long)

20 days In-game as a Fixer (long)

I am writing this, not as a memoir, but rather in hope that some other people will read this and perhaps better understand my profession. I have approached at this point, 19 days and approximate 19 hours in-game as my Fixer, Ofos. I feel that at this point, it is appropriate to share with you what I have learned from this experience. Believe this all or not, I hope this may change a few things about how you all view Fixers. By the way, I post this on the World of RK forum not the Fixer forum, as I'd like other professions specifically to read this. No, this is NOT my life story.

I should start this off with some honesty. I originally created my Fixer and named him Ofoz with a Z, as a joke. I thought it could be a deal of fun to goof around. Hang out by the NPC Ofoz and maybe confuse a few people. Just muck around. Well, I did have my fun. A few people actually sent me tells when I was in missions, talking to me like an NPC. Quickly enough, GM got ahold of my scheming and my name was nerfed to Ofos with an ugly S. At this point, I sort of thought that my fun was over, as I no longer possessed the name. I might have deleted old Ofos right then and there and most likely quit the game, if not for a rather life changing event......

......I really had no idea that day, that there was going to be a "Fixer Convention". I was just aimlessly wandering Borealis. Bored out of my skull. Then I came across a crowd of people, all of them Fixers. At that time, I thought all Fixers were the same. Twinky alts wearing Love Armor. But when I saw this crowd of people, Omni/Clan/Neut, all gathered.... I realized my mistake. I was quite shocked to see all these people of all different factions. They were wearing everything from Nano Armor to Nadir to Elite to The Blue (GA). Some carried Chironis', some MCS, some Sleeks, some even had MTI Riot Shields. I hadn't ever seen such a diverse group enjoying themselves so immensely, all conversing and ignoring the obvious lackings of their mates. All of them completely disregarding faction and organization. Well, except for the Mockers... Those boys and girls seem to stick together fairly well

Attending the FixerCon completely changed the way I perceived the community. While there I met some of the greatest people in-game. I even found a few old friends who had escaped to Fixer alts. These guys were like gods and celebrities to me. I met Argulace, Trellame.... I think Fiix, Hydeo, Gogliostro and more were in attendance. Speaking specifically of the aforementioned 5 and of a good deal of others as well, these are some of the most wonderfully sociable people on the planet. Many of them more well-spoken and intelligent than I thought possible for RK. I'd like to specifically cite Hoops and Stromm here. But it wasn't just seeing these people come together for each other that I was so amazed by. It was also watching as they accepted my little phix0r toon into their arms, simply because I was a member of the same profession. By all means, it was a beautiful thing.

That was more than enough to convince me. I decided that this was the profession that I wanted. After almost a year, and 11 other professions played for long hours, I had come to the one which I'd always avoided since it had been branded a GIMP. It was a real blessing, but something I almost felt I had to make work. If this wasn't the profession for me, the game was over.

At this point, I think it best to make it clear that I wasn't making a twink. I don't have and never have had some rich high lvl mule. To date, 1 year and 3 months of play, my lvl 85 Fixer is my highest level. I'm not ashamed of it, because level means absolutely nothing to me. I've accomplished all of my goals in this game without having to break the barrier of 100. And I think that says a lot more than some 2 month player who's lvl 110. The reason that I'm so amazed by this, is because it isn't just me who built this character. It's really the entire Fixer community. No other profession helps their brethren to a higher degree than the Fixers. Time to give a few examples.

1. There I was, Omni Fixer, hanging out in Tir's Happy Rebel. I took a seat, wishing I could get trashed because I was broke as hell and I needed a new gun bad bad bad! Now, as I sit here sulking in my own anger, I'm joined by Slaggermulps, a clan Fixer who'd just gotten his GA MKIV. We got to talking, and it was obvious that he like many others didn't care he was talking to an Omni scum. I eventually mentioned that I needed a new gun, so he asked what kind I used and what ql. I gave him the appropriate info and he said that he would get me a new gun. I tried to be courteous and tell him no-thanks, but he refused to see another Fixer in plight. I was practically forced to accept his generosity, and at that point I expected him to leave and go blitz for a gun. Well, that wasn't the case. It seems that a certain girl owed him a favor. He used that favor to have her blitz me a gun. Rather than save that bit of help for when he might need it, he gave it to me without a second thought. Now, that was nice, but what he did later was even better. See, I had accidentally miscalculated what QL Kerans I could use, so the one I was given by him was a bit too high to equip. When he asked how the new gun was, I told him it turned out to be too high, but that it'd be fine. Well..... let's just say I had another new gun an hour later. Thank you, Slaggermulps.

2. One of my major goals as a "post-love phix0r" was to really just NOT be one. In my opinion, that's not what I was or am. I never had some rich alt funding me and farming me Love armor. I also thought it was important to show that you didn't have to use a high lvl alt to strengthen your character and get some Grid Armor, despite the astronomical prices. While I was on my quest to find or buy Grid Armor, I met many snags in the road on the way there. There were one or two occassions when I was in teams who found it and the looter ninja'd and sold it. That sucked. I've also had the most unfortunate experince of being made to believe that X person was going to sell me Grid Armor for a cheap price. Those people sucked. I killed so many bosses solo, died so many times, killed so many plants and claws, horded away so many credits.... But still I couldn't get GA even after many many months. It was quite a depressing thing. I have to say, when you're a rapidly evolving character who needs constant imp/armor/weapon upgrades to stay in the game, saving for a 60m+ item is nothing easy. As many of you know, I made my precense and non-stop demand for Grid Armor well known on the boards. I was determined to get it. And if I couldn't afford it, I was determined to drive that damn price down to what I deemed suitable! Rar! Well, I never single-handedly killed the inflation.... but I tried. Fast forward a bit, as to keep this short, to an auction last month. MrHaga was auctioning off a shiny new MKII. At that point I had accumulated about 10m of my own and I had friends who were willing to donate a good bit of cash to my cause. All in all, I was free to bid up to 70m. So I thought that might buy me some GA if I was lucky. Well, as it happens, MrHaga gave me a little bit of that luck and closed the auction, and named me winner, even though I had been outbid. Thank you MrHaga. However, troubles later arose when said donating friends mysteriously disappeared along with almost all of my GA money. I met with MrHaga, told him/her my situation and I was given one day. I had 24 hours to come up with approximately 60 million creds. Something I thought was nothing short of infathomable. I wasn't high enough to blitz any good items, so that I dea was out. I didn't have some rare stockpiles, so no big clean-out sales. My org bank had a very dormant 35-36m in it, but for some reason I wasn't even allowed to BORROW any of that money. There was only one option left.... and that was to go "door to door" asking my friends and acquaintances for loans or donations. It was a task I very much loathed, as I hate begging for money. It made me feel very inferior, but it made me realize just how lucky I was to be a Fixer. Many unsuccessful attempts were made and in the end it came down to three people. 1. Hydeo 2. Corgan 3. Zendog.

First up, I talked with Zendog, a very kind and optimistic Fixer buddy of mine. I stressed to him that it would be just a loan and that I hated to take cash from him. He offered to give me 20 million. That seemed like too much from one person, I told him. I refused to just take it. So, he bought a q200 Manex off me for 20,000,000c. Best deal I've ever made. Thank you, Zendog.

Next, I talked with Corgan, who I really didn't know and still am not very good friends with due to unfortunate circumstances which I hope to soon remedy. I had met her before and she was pretty cool, we were really just acquaintances. Corgan was most gracious considering the situation and how late it was. She was so kind to loan me 20 million, which is soon to be repaid. I'm a bit late on payments due to a few large-scale RL issues. I do apologize greatly. Thank you, Corgan.

Finally, came the real curve-ball of the affair. As I was lingering at the NLC grid considering my situation and relaying it to Corgan, one of my Fixer idols gridded in. Hydeo. I thought, 'Cool, I never thought I'd meet this guy. Only seen him on the boards and heard about him by word of mouth.' It was all good things I'd heard. But, being the timid haxor I am, I left him to talk to whoever else was hanging around. Well, in a most unexpected turn of events, I suppose Hydeo overheard me say that I still needed to borrow 20m to buy my GA. I had nearly forgotten he was there, so I was a bit shocked when he sent me a tell simply saying "Hey man, are you good to repay that 20 mil?"

/me's jaw drops as his Fixer idol offers hima large-scale money loan O.O

I explained to Hydeo that it would definitely take some time, but yes, I would be reliable in repaying my debt. Once again, I am late on this repaying due to the aforemntioned circumstances. In all my experience, I couldn't fathom someone just approaching me and offering me that much money.

While I was thanking Hydeo a thousand times, he just told me to relax, because "it's what Fixers do". He told me that people did the same thing for him. He used to need help from higher lvls, and Fixer brothers and sisters were always there to help him. I couldn't believe it! My toon could grow up to be just like Hydeo! One of the people I thought it was impossible to match to! I was told that most of the greats started off that way, and that's why our community is so tightly knit. It's not because we share creds and equip, it's because in the Fixer community, we all start off as broke ass little toons. Having Hydeo tell me all that was such a huge booster. I got to thinking, if I could be like Hydeo and get a Rookie title and be a respected community member, what was stopping me after that? What would stop me from becoming a Neophyte and being president of a powerful org, just like Argulace?

The answer is nothing. In the Fixer community anyone can become a king among hackers, because we are all brothers and sisters. We all help each other. We aren't constricted by faction like all the other professions! Get real, people. When was the last time you saw any really successful org made up of one profession, other than The Mockers.

And that is the true beauty of the Fixer. We don't just help fix other people's problems. No, above and beyond that.... and first and foremost, we fix eachother's problems first.

I am Seto 'Ofos' Kaiba. I have played for approximately 19 days and 19 hours as my Fixer. Due solely to the help of other Fixers and community members, I am level 85 and barely rising and I have accomplished every one of my goals for this 'life'. I have and always will help the people of Rubi-ka and fix what they need fixing. But above and beyond that lays the duty of helping other Fixers.

~Alone, I am a Fixer. Together, we are a family.~

This is for Argulace, Fiix, Hydeo, Trellame, Neff, Zendog, Gogliostro, Slaggermulps, Hoopspro, Stromm, Nucleic, Ollli, Slyyam, Nettie, Gene13 and for every Fixer who thinks that they're alone.
    Pfft, the GMs and ARKs aren't rid of me yet! Back for a third round, in this corner, we have Vamp. Weighing in at a buck-fiddy and lovin' all the bitties.

Donations to the "Why Did Vamp Give All His Gearz Away" fund are now being accepted. Either that, or a friendly hello.

bumping for a piece of work that took up my sleeping time before work.

root my thread, Cz ^_^

j/k
    Pfft, the GMs and ARKs aren't rid of me yet! Back for a third round, in this corner, we have Vamp. Weighing in at a buck-fiddy and lovin' all the bitties.

Donations to the "Why Did Vamp Give All His Gearz Away" fund are now being accepted. Either that, or a friendly hello.

btw, if anyone can tell me what a bump is, plz leave me a private message. thanks.

/bow

Nice piece.
    -=STRATAH=-

TFC coup co-conspirator
    Member of The Mocker's Naked, Co-ed, Full contact, Drunken, Synchronized Blitzing Team

-=The Mockers=-

nice story sounds kinda like my experiences with my lvl 82 fixer but with GA1 inplace of GA2 hehe,
    Xolinlevh 202 NT Armor
    owner of 2x qual 108 freedom arms notum! and member of The Black Hand
    now wielding a qual 200 freedom arms G2!!!

Recoil04 158 agent Armor

I feel much like you, in the respect that I was able to accomplish everything I wanted to in this game without ever hitting 100, although that time might come soon... I don't feel dissapointed at all. Although I do recieve some "Why don't you level faster q?" stuff.

However, I was lucky. I found GA2. And sold it.

Good luck on your future endevours!(Bah, I probably spelled that wrong)
    But I have to say. The crat community is wonderful too.
    ~Q~
    [QAETUS]-[FIRST ORDER]
    Qaetus the Chain Insurance Claim Caster
    ‘I asked God for strength that I might achieve; I was made weak that I might learn humbly to obey.
    I asked for help that I might do greater things; I was given infirmity that I might do better things.
    I asked for riches that I might be happy; I was given poverty that I might be wise.
    I asked for all things that I might enjoy life; I was given life that I might enjoy all things.
    I got nothing that I asked for, but everything I had hoped for. Despite myself, my prayers were answered. I am among all men most richly blessed.’

Well, I thank you all for hopping into my thread and sharing some intelligent commentary

I guess it is possible for me to post without getting flamed. But knowing my luck, Ollli or someone will show up and flame me just for kicks

Don't delay, hug a crat today.

Talking

Nice story!

Corgan rocks btw

Q - you need to get some levels

cooglow

Nice story Ofos, gl in game and RL

Ascession/Alantria

/slap

And how could I have forgotten the always lovely Ascession. A wonderful young lady who has been so very kind and supportive of me ig/rl. Love ya, Ascession.
    When are we gonna go kill TIM? ^_^

Bah! Go away cool

Yes! Hug a crat today!
    ~Q~
    [QAETUS]-[FIRST ORDER]
    Qaetus the Chain Insurance Claim Caster
    ‘I asked God for strength that I might achieve; I was made weak that I might learn humbly to obey.
    I asked for help that I might do greater things; I was given infirmity that I might do better things.
    I asked for riches that I might be happy; I was given poverty that I might be wise.
    I asked for all things that I might enjoy life; I was given life that I might enjoy all things.
    I got nothing that I asked for, but everything I had hoped for. Despite myself, my prayers were answered. I am among all men most richly blessed.’

I've always liked this about fixers. It seems like the one profession that really supports itself, regardless of class. Well, at least this is my point of view as an outsider.

The way I see it, regardless of alignment, fixers had a common enemy: the Gimpdom. Those of you that struggled through that war, I think, did a lot for all fixers. The best part was that it brough many closer together.

There's also the shady side of being a fixer. I've heard rumours of fixer networks that goes across alignments. As a non fixer it really seems like there's a large network of fixers that stay in touch and that if I need something I can go see a fixer and he'll find me what I need directly or via another fixer.

Fract

You sound like Malcolm X when he visited Mecha and realized everyone from all walks of life seek enlightenment from perecution and hopelesness. YOu sound like you had a truly enlightening experience and Im very happy for you

That's kind of funny. I remember slagger asking for a ql 100ish kerans and wondering what in gods name he was going to do with it. Whatever the reason, I wasn't doing anything important so i grabbed him one (which he paid for, it wasn't due to a favor being owed) and he apparently gave it to you.

That's the cool thing about fixers, they are the only profession I've seen in game that actually takes care of their lower leveled members.

Thanks to people like Calvara, and Angeleye,adventurers do too

Great Story ......

And Corgan is a Goddess!!!!

She has helped me countless times..
    I am very honored to have her as a close friend..
    ~*~ Nanoprincess ~*~
    Katelin Cyani Kerans

Kewly, Zol. What a strange coincidence.

Bump.

Not for me, for my signature. Because Fractaloon is my main man. And thx Fract for the reminder that we need to thank those who pioneered their way through the Gimp Wars.

I love "my" Kupo. ^_^ Fixers rock this planet.

By the way, Fractaloon. We disavow (spelly?) any knowledge of any said underground markets....

Cyani, stop letting your toon hide behind a mask. You have nothing to fear from Vamp as long as you act a lady, thus I a gentleman.

Control the rage!!

Well said. I've been playing my fixer since day1 and it has remained my favorite profession since that day. To much fun, even when we were gimped. I've had to reroll him once, and by no means am I a fast leveler. I just hit level 100, and as one of the original old school fixers, I kinda got left in the dust by some of the other original fixers. But no matter.

Glad your enjoying the profession, and perhaps a few will read this and realize not all fixers are little twink fix0r d00d alts of high lvlers just messing around and throwing away money. When we had our love patch, we saw an influx of these folks, and there rep still hangs over our heads.

You should have tried the profession before our love patch, sure we were gimped back then, but our community was 10x as strong as it is today, and thats a sad fact.

Xaielao - Co-Starter of the RK2 fixer community, although now on RK1. Still spreading the love by building MCS's for every newbie fixer I see lvl5+ still using there newbie gun hehe.

There are still several non-guild oriented fixer 'communities' floating around, and if your not a part of one, you perhaps should be. But thats not up to me Lets hope those it is up too see this post.
    Last edited by Fion; Dec 11th, 2002 at 06:43:55.
    http://community.anarchy-online.com/...1/name/xaielao
    "Yea, I've got your information.. you got my money?"
    Proud member of 3305 Local
    A non-GA Fixer, and pround of it!

Fergus ~ 27 Soldier (after wipe) ~ Test
    "No escaping pain! You belong to me.." Megadeath-Skin o' my Teeth

Fion ~ 25 Opi MA (after wipe) ~ Test
    "Woh look at that MOB! Think I can take it? *SMACK* OUCH!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast