Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5% needs to be done away with *now*.

Originally posted by Kuroshio
    I'm saying like it or not, until there is a viable solution ready to be implemented (which we won't hear about until it's done), we might have to live with the current system. In fact, I'd prefer to live with the current system than have the 5% gas yanked.

The current system provides for pressure on the Funcom programmers and developers to change it. Yanking the 5% suppresion would solve the problem but it removes that pressure. I do it all the time at work: unless my boss specifically tells me to do something the hard (but often correct) way, I will opt for the quickest way possible. It's not because I'm a bad employee. It's because in a 24 hour day my schedule is allocated for about 26 hours of work,, only 8 of which I'm actually working. Same goes for Funcom.
    I was trying to offer ideas on how to change the way towers operate in 5% gas instead of arguing to get rid of it completely.

Do you not agree that, with some tweaking and additional brainstorming, the proposal I laid out in my last post would be a potential "fix" for the current problems revolving around large battles in 5% suppression?

If you don't agree, how about putting out ideas instead of saying "live with it" or "it's going to be this way, like it or not." That's not very productive.

Originally posted by Sheffy

I was trying to offer ideas on how to change the way towers operate in 5% gas instead of arguing to get rid of it completely.

Do you not agree that, with some tweaking and additional brainstorming, the proposal I laid out in my last post would be a potential "fix" for the current problems revolving around large battles in 5% suppression?

If you don't agree, how about putting out ideas instead of saying "live with it" or "it's going to be this way, like it or not." That's not very productive.
    Heh...you're the least of my concerns. It's the people that yell "This sucks...Remove it!" are the ones that concern me the most.

Gotta understand these forums a bit. Whenever someone dislikes a feature AND offers a proposed fixed, they're the people least dangerous. The real danger comes from the people that dislike a feature, offers no suggestions, but takes your alternative as proof something should be removed. What's dangerous about them is they don't follow their actions through to the end. And then if/when exactly what they demanded is implemented, they get smacked in the face with the flaws. Then come right back here and complain some more.

Static dungeons. People asked and demanded them. Lord knows I was against them because when you put 30+ people in the same area together and put something valuable in that area, instant campfest.

The incoming PvP buff/heal change on Test. Exactly what people demanded, while the people that were saying "NOOOOO!" prolly got lost in the demands. It's not so much me replying to you as me replying to the people around you that ain't listening. Either thee thread length makes them go away or repetition finally sinks it through
    History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave. - Edmund Morris

The first faults are theirs that commit them, the second theirs that permit them. - Unknown

Did you ever get the feeling that the world had an abundance of idiots? And that God had arranged for you to meet every single one of them before you died? - Kuroshio

This is a problem that gets annoying. When we had some bases that were under attack the defenders from other orgs had a hard time helping because our towers kept shooting them as well. Kinda got annoying specially after losing the controller heh
    GalxandJoan "Toxinator" Rox :: 202 Doc
    He "Tearspoint" Totem :: 215 Nano Tech :: Equipment :: Perks
    General :: Band of Brothers :: Band of Brothers Forums

Account Created
    2001-08-23 04:59:27

Account Status:
    Open

Heh...you're the least of my concerns. It's the people that yell "This sucks...Remove it!" are the ones that concern me the most.

Gotta understand these forums a bit. Whenever someone dislikes a feature AND offers a proposed fixed, they're the people least dangerous. The real danger comes from the people that dislike a feature, offers no suggestions, but takes your alternative as proof something should be removed. What's dangerous about them is they don't follow their actions through to the end. And then if/when exactly what they demanded is implemented, they get smacked in the face with the flaws. Then come right back here and complain some more.

Static dungeons. People asked and demanded them. Lord knows I was against them because when you put 30+ people in the same area together and put something valuable in that area, instant campfest.

The incoming PvP buff/heal change on Test. Exactly what people demanded, while the people that were saying "NOOOOO!" prolly got lost in the demands. It's not so much me replying to you as me replying to the people around you that ain't listening. Either thee thread length makes them go away or repetition finally sinks it through
    Heh, both of us understand these forums very well... no need to explain to us what we observe every single day. But you puzzle me... I say do away with 5% until the alliance system is in... you say no. Why not? You're talking about spewing out ideas with no backup being something that worries you, and you go ahead and spew out ideas (even ones in support of my proposition) with no brainstorming or support at all. Simply a 'this doesn't need to go' with no backup at all.

So you state that there needs to be a period where the factions can infight... have you watched the towers chat recently? Since release, I've seen maybe two or three instances where omni fights omni, or clan fights clan. Of those two or three, I know one was an accident that was no real fight at all, and there's a good chance that the others were too. But guess what... every day defenders get cut to pieces by friendly towers because of the unnecessary 5% grace periods...

I'm sorry but you're coming across as one of those 'needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many' people. When the alliance system is up and running, which will hopefully be soon, then toss 5% gas back in. I never said 5% had no place in the game, I never said I didn't like it. Instead I said that without an alliance system it doesn't work. Until both systems are ready to go, neither should be running.
    <Cheeze|Work> i told iwi to start her own guild
    <Cheeze|Work> "downward spiral"
    <Cheeze|Work> instead of "uprising"

Originally posted by Meurgen

Heh, both of us understand these forums very well... no need to explain to us what we observe every single day. But you puzzle me... I say do away with 5% until the alliance system is in... you say no. Why not? You're talking about spewing out ideas with no backup being something that worries you, and you go ahead and spew out ideas (even ones in support of my proposition) with no brainstorming or support at all. Simply a 'this doesn't need to go' with no backup at all.

So you state that there needs to be a period where the factions can infight... have you watched the towers chat recently? Since release, I've seen maybe two or three instances where omni fights omni, or clan fights clan. Of those two or three, I know one was an accident that was no real fight at all, and there's a good chance that the others were too. But guess what... every day defenders get cut to pieces by friendly towers because of the unnecessary 5% grace periods...

I'm sorry but you're coming across as one of those 'needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many' people. When the alliance system is up and running, which will hopefully be soon, then toss 5% gas back in. I never said 5% had no place in the game, I never said I didn't like it. Instead I said that without an alliance system it doesn't work. Until both systems are ready to go, neither should be running.
    And I'm saying given the very new nature of the Notum Wars and the resulting land grab, with no 5% gas you immediately lock out the possibility for people to gain territory for their bases.

Right now, the land situation is in a free for all stage. Everyone needs/wants land to place their towers and few are overly concerned with who they take it from. That will stabilize as the booster pack gets sold, bases get fortified, and people get settled. But until that happens there has to be a way for people to attack towers, even from their own faction if necessary. The RP reasons for not shooting a fellow OT Employee will come in later. But until the tower 'boom' settles down, the 5% gas is a necessity.

You talk about the needs of the few outweighing the needs of the many, but like I said in my reply to Sheffy, when your 'pull the gas now' comes full circle and bites you on the ass you'll be right here demanding a way to attack other people's towers.

You don't close down an option like this one in a situation like this one. The current situation is currently in flux but it's known there are more people wanting/needing land for towers than is land availible. Funcom will keep it that way to provoke conflict. Until the initial boom stabilizes, you can't remove the option to attack based on the HOPE that Funcom implements an alliance system sometime before AO2. Cause that's all it is: a hope that nobody has promised nor set a date for.

The first faults are theirs that commit them, the second theirs that permit them. - Unknown

Did you ever get the feeling that the world had an abundance of idiots? And that God had arranged for you to meet every single one of them before you died? - Kuroshio

As I said before, how many folks have you seen taking bases from others of their same faction? I monitor the tower chat every day, and like I said... it ain't happened yet. :P

The people who have land don't need to attack the same faction, and the people who don't have land can..... take it from the neutrals. ()

It's an option between making the vast majority of the pvp playerbase who spends all day defending towers happy, and making the extremely small percentage of the pvp playerbase who lusts after their neighbor's base happy.

Nothing is going to bite me on the ass, thank you. If the only areas available are controlled by clan, we'll do without towers... but that most certainly isn't the case. Do you look at the LC map very often? It's in the launcher.

And I really hope Kuroshio isn't your main... because I personally don't think a level 27 crat has had much experience defending towers. :\

/edit: He's not in a guild either. Lots of land control going on for ya?
    Last edited by Meurgen; Dec 10th, 2002 at 18:52:39.

5% ALL the time??? Do you realize that there are some guilds that don't have HUNDREDS of people with NO outside life to sit around a tower guarding it 24/7???

Damn...[

QUOTE]Originally posted by aaronb
    Hmm, and I was just about to post asking for 5% all the time. [/QUOTE]

And I really hope Kuroshio isn't your main... because I personally don't think a level 27 crat has had much experience defending towers. :\

/edit: He's not in a guild either. Lots of land control going on for ya?
    1. No 'Kuroshio' is not my main. I wouldn't submit my main character to /tell spam from people from these forums. I like to play in peace.
    2. Next time you're in near Tir, why not stop through Kuroshio Forest. That was a reward from Funcom given to me because of the effort I put in during AO Beta Phase 2 (along with an AO T-Shirt and an AO Keychain).
    3. I am a member of a guild with my main

Satisfied? Or should I toss in the Notum Wars beta for kicks?

/me mocks the cry-babies. "OMG I got killed!!!" "Nooo... not possible!" "OMG I hate 5% cause I GOT KILLED" "Nooo... Not you... Not in 5%" "OMG Im gonna cry to FC" "Good idea!" /unmock

Jesus Christ, big deal you got killed. If you hate 5%, stay out of it! Simple as that! Its part of the game. What next? You gonna cry cause the Omni Elite toasted me. "He was only 200+, I could of killed im, except for the glitch where he attacked me BEFORE I COULD EVEN ATTACK ME! HOW FAIR IS THAT?"
    AsclepIIus - Evil Doc
    AsclepIIIus - PvP Twink

TSO Link Please click on it and make my friend happy

1. No 'Kuroshio' is not my main. I wouldn't submit my main character to /tell spam from people from these forums. I like to play in peace.
    2. Next time you're in near Tir, why not stop through Kuroshio Forest. That was a reward from Funcom given to me because of the effort I put in during AO Beta Phase 2 (along with an AO T-Shirt and an AO Keychain).
    3. I am a member of a guild with my main

Satisfied? Or should I toss in the Notum Wars beta for kicks?
    Very nice, now back to the argument... any real reasons here? Or are you just against useful change?

i can understand where 0 or 5% may be understandable. the towers isnt one of them. get rid of 5% and replcae with 25%. lets say u fly intop a base youre trying to defend. les say for seom reason your pet or soemthing auto aggros a tower. congradulations your guild's towers are at 5% for 7 hours. how retarded is that? please limit towers wars to 25% or at the very least make towers stop auto aggroing the same side.

Very nice, now back to the argument... any real reasons here? Or are you just against useful change?
    As I said before, your suggestion to disable the 5% gas comes at the worst time: while the land rush is going on. Until that situation stabilizes, removing the 5% gas would be a mistake as it removes an option to take a controlled area from someone in a more easily controlled playfield.

Removing that option with no alternative and a PRAYER that something gets implemented is stupid. Especially considering the situation right now: people want to try their hands at tower attack/defense and aren't too particular about who is the target.

What land rush? There was a land rush that occured in the first 5 hours of release, and it's very over now. Very few bases have exchanged hands between the same faction, and those few have all been voluntary exchanges. Yes, I've seen a lot of raids happen, every single day. People do want land but guess what? They're taking it from neuts, or the opposing faction.

If there is some group out there plotting to take land from a fellow clanner or fellow omni, I hardly say we shoot ourselves in the collective foot just to appease their need for a base. I've already said it: just look around you... if people want a base, they're more than willing to attack the *opposing faction* to take it.

5% gas does have it's reason to be here, but it's outweighed by it's reason *not* to be here.

Well,what about if during the 5% gas period, the opposite side brought down your shield, the gas automatically went to 25% (not reseting the shield timer) But if someone from the same side disabled your sheild, the gas stayed at 5% ?
    Unrealshadow
    Corvair

Proud Vet of the one and only SF
    Synergy Factor

Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they hide is vital.

As much as I can't stand Meurgen and his damned dominate MC nano...

I have to agree here. It's usually a mad scramble for the defenders just before the 5% hits to try and get anyone that owns the tower into thier team so they don't get attacked by the very thing they're there to defend.

Simple fix...

Remove 5% change as it is.

Base goes 5% when same side uses a shield disruptor on the controller allowing them to attack.
    The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live! - Unknown

"I've always wanted to be somebody, but I see now I should have been more specific." - L. Tomlin

Vyker - 182 Fixer
    ** Card Carrying Union Member (team)

BUMP! Keep 5% as it is
    Gimme sammich!!1

Reborn Sammich

Originally posted by Unreal
    Well,what about if during the 5% gas period, the opposite side brought down your shield, the gas automatically went to 25% (not reseting the shield timer) But if someone from the same side disabled your sheild, the gas stayed at 5% ?
    That's a damned good idea. Wish I thought of it. It would also accomplish another thing I deem necessary for tower battles: the requirement of using a shield disabler for ANYONE to attack at any time. Not just people w/o towers.

Vyker: hahahahaha, I'm glad you like em! /s TRY THIS ON FOR SIZE!

Executing Nano Program: Nano Shutdown.
    Target countered your nano program.

D:

GET RID OF 5%

The problems, and stupidity of 5% in this type of pvp is rediculus.

Make it so there is a special item that a guild can use to attack a same factions base, i.e. change it to 5%. but is only usable in 25% times.

That would work much better than the way it wirks now. Right now, guilds are being punished for not being 24/7 online with 394893030 people....

It doesnt work, much like the land control system
    215 Solitus Soldier RK1
    Advisor Midnight Reveries.

Do politics exist? Yes.
    Who's involved in them? Anyone who wants to be.

If you spend your time worrying about what everyone else is doing in their lives, you'll miss what's happening in yours.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast