Thread: Is this all AO is???

Is this all AO is???

Maybe Suggestions isn't the right place for this but...I do hope someone in FunCom reads this.

I've been playing AO for 2 months now for several hours a day (been on sickleave). I have great fun and love the game but just now I had a eye opener.... is this all the game is?

I understand that there is supposed to be Quests around but how do you find them? I liked the popup message u now get when reaching lvl 5 (the subway message), but don't we get any more messages like that?

People tell me to ask around and read the forums etc but seriously...a game can not be sett up in such a manor that we have to read forums and ask people to try to find a game relaited quest??? How dumb is that?

Take a look at Baldurs Gate, u have multi quests in a great story. There has to be some way to mix it like they did. Like find cules that will lead to a Quest person/location (like a jigsaw puzzle)? I know Baldurs Gate is in a class of its own when it comes to story, but I can't see a hint of story in this game. It gives us a faint smell that one may be found (with the CGI series and political stuff in the site) but in the game u can't get a feel that u are part of anything besides a oversized gangwar....

I do know that there is a quest u collect things to (like dogtags) but in the end the quest it for..yes thats right...a item..... D'oh!!!

I have sadly now seen this (above) and the fact that AO has turned out to be nothing more than an "item" game like Diablo2, and D2 had more story to it....

I'm not sure if writing this will get me baned, but this is how I feel. I'm not asking for a big happening but some other satisfaction is needed here besides the fact that everyone is item hunting.

I am not leaving AO yet, but I do hope that something in the direction of a story or better quest oriantation happens. Other then that the game is pretty darn good. =)

Or maybe some kind person out there reading this can point out some other side to AO that I have yet to see?
    Last edited by Death_Metal; Dec 7th, 2002 at 01:45:51.

http://www.anarchyarcanum.com
    http://ao.stratics.com/
    http://www.ao-basher.com/
    http://auno.org/

to mention a few of the major guild webs with lots of information on quests etc.
    Funcom Content Designer

How to get started on TestLive
    How to write bug reports

A lot of small steps make one giant leap forward.
    "Patchnotes: Nerfed all characters named Metaing, they where too powerful."
    To bug or not to bug, that is the question
    Run like a man or Die like a woman

If you have any info on trader's quest i would appreciate it too

Laziness is disgusting, which is why I will NOT reveal any of the quests I have found which so far HAVE NOT been stuck on a webpage... Pull ur ass out of them damn missions and look...trust me, it isn't THAT difficult... You need to stop getting used to things GIVEN to you, the rewards are much more enjoyable if you work your way to the end....

Unhappy Lazyness?

Perhaps, however 90% of the "quests" I've been on in AO have consisted of 2-3 vague and near nonsensical sentences from NPC's which then generates a mission with a totally inadequate task description, that fails to yield return if you deviate at all from the "correct" course of action.

Experimentation is a privilege you do not have in AO, unless you are prepared to randomly lose many hours work, hence the value of guides and quest walkthroughs.
    Last edited by SM; Dec 9th, 2002 at 11:00:56.

Re: Lazyness?

Originally posted by SM
    Experimentation is a privilege you do not have in AO, unless you are prepared to randomly lose many hours work, hence the value of guides and quest walkthroughs.
    Umm.... how can you loose many hours of work in this game?

Your statement makes no sense.
    Kissysuzuki 220 - 24 - 60/70
    Minisuzuki 205 - 9 - 13/70
    Riders of the Lost Org

"Enforcers are being nibbled to death"

Never played Diablo II but compared to AC2 wich I wasted 50$ on for nothing this is excellent. Even after more than a year AO is still more interesting AC@ which is nothing more than a level treadmill with nice graphics. After 2 hours I was bored after maybe a week I couldn't stand it and scrapped my account. The most interesting part of AC2 to me was trying to my graphics card to work with the game. AO is alot more about how you setup nad play your char even without alot if special items then AC2, DAOC, and EQ. Although if AO does get to be more of a level based game it will start to play as badly as those others metioned.

MHO
    Yesiamstoned 152 nt RK2

There's more...

There's more to AO than just levelling. Join a guild. Make a character that you will Roleplay with (RP). After all, this is a Roleplaying game. Be active in the Notum wars and help your guild.
    Read the Anarchy Online novel. I mean, this game has great background story - "Prophet without honor".
    Go explore the world - everything hasn't been discovered yet. =P

or u can try to run around and try to speak to any NPC...
    Vaultcitizen ADV 190. Teh pistol gimpness
    Catspawgirl NT 171. Pnh/Ior Dispenser
    Mareva Fix 167. GSF, Hot and fix grid Dispenser
    Canigou MP 135. CI Dispenser
    Pipboy2001 MA 80ish in gamboling doing /fblock.

Rubi-Ka 1

allways /tell Vaultcitizen

i feel you, i wish there was more 'clues' myself to whats going on in the world, you stumble across a few npc's here and there, they tell you interesting bits of info. but it's very rare that a player can put together information to get somewhere or learn something about the RK story because of asking questions. its a little odd IMO to find tags, and baskets that are nodrop, but find these seemingly worthless items with no idea of what there for. on one hand it gets people to look for the linking quest but on the other you have to wonder why in RL would someone pick it up in the first place without motivation to do so. it would be nice if at some of the static dungons, and on various npc's was link to something more sinister. that only through the conversations through npc's would lead you to other npc's that would lead you to other npc's and in the end.
    but finding things by exploring is a good thing. gets (some) people out of the city.

Wink Re: Re: Lazyness?

Originally posted by Kissysuzuki

Umm.... how can you loose many hours of work in this game?
    Your statement makes no sense.
    Um, Dodga2? You target TK then his lacky and the whole mission is dead, then you have to do Dodga1 again.

i think she was saying that it's a game, not work. efficiency shouldn't really be an issue with a game, and there is enough info out there about quests to get you started. think how cool it is when you find one you havn't heard about. just talk to every random npc you see, if they don't have a generic name, they might give you a cool quest. ao is very good for those who like exploring and discovery. ...and there's nothing wrong with using websites, w/ ao, that's part of the gameplay.

Originally posted by Nable7
    i think she was saying that it's a game, not work. efficiency shouldn't really be an issue with a game.
    Very, very true and I would be the first to denounce such websites/guides if the game was all fun, but it isn't. My fun/drudge ratio is about 2/3 right now, and I will do _anything_ to up my fun quotient and thus if I want shoulderpads to make my life a little smoother then I will use a guide, and ask my clanmates for help.
    Because otherwise I may have to do the same thing again and again and again, and that _is_ work.