Thread: Aimed Shot

Aimed Shot

aimed shot needs to be improved, damage-wise. why?

it makes sense. if you take your time, aren't bothered by anyone, and are a very accurate sniper, you should be able to score a very damaging (in real life, deadly) hit. for example in deus ex, if you shoot someone in the head, they will almost definately die in one hit. i'm not suggesting that much of an improvement, but it should be more than a moderate damage increase, nanobots are not.

it's currently almost useless in teams. most people don't want an sniper, because they want the tank to pull, or if there isn't a tank, they want pets to pull. most aimed shotters have little else to recomend them in battle (note i said MOST), especially agents. i don't think i've gotten a chance to use aimed shot more than 2 or 3 times in a team mission on my way to level 50 on my last failed agent (failed because he was my first real character and i didn't know how to spend my ip yet.) if aimed shot did better damage, it could make it a viable option. "we don't have a tank. let's get a sniper to do aimed shot."

it has enough disadvantages that there should be a more solid advantage. you can only do it once per mob (unless you repeatedly zone.) it is time comsuming (sneaking instead of running.) and there is always a good chance it won't work (if the mob sees you,) although this gets a little better with level.

as far as i know, the aimed shot skill isn't bright green to anyone, not even agents. i think it should be, but more damage would make the agents most viable attack a bit more palatable.

it would give us variety in teams, so it's not always the tank that leads. sometimes you could play that way, and sometimes it feels more likea a real mission. the agent leads the group into the next room (they all have shadow filter cast on them,) and takes out half of the next mob's health before retreating and letting a higher hp character take the agro for the rest of it. it would take a little playing skill, but would be a nice change. nobody ever wants to do this, and for good reason: aimed shot just doesn't do enough damage.

it would be mroe fair. snipers usually have relatively low hp. it sucks to aim, shoot, and get only 2 or 3 shots worth of damage and have to fight the rest out, with no other skill cycling (fling, burst, fa, etc.)

i suppose there might be a good reason that this hasn't been done already, but please consider it. thanks.

/me watches the Agent AS for 10,000 damage

/me re-reads the post

Erm, if anything, you should want less agrro, not more damage. As a Doc, when I see the little "Aimed Shot" go off, I sigh and switch to the poor skinny little no-HP agent who is gonna neat a lot of healing real soon.

The main prob with AS is that it recycles so slowly it is pretty useless. But then, 2 Agents ASing in PvP can be pretty fargin' deadly.
    Aleksei "Zagadka" Garcia - Savior, Council Clerk
    Cindi "Razishlyat" Bolieu - Advisor Eternalist

ok, but my idea was that, if as did more damage, then the mob would have less time alive to hurt the agent. and for my money, agents usually dont make hp a high enough priority anyway. thers also a little agent util designed to help him/her lose agro.

one issue though is pvp. if damage were increased dramatically, then it there would have to be changes in pvp, or just leave the pvp damage as it is. but, honestly, i dont think the way that it works now is very realistic.

o, and 10k damage is a little more than i had in mind... more like 2 or 3x its present damage.

i think that an agent of level x should be able to use a gun of level x on a monster of level x and take 20-40% of the mob's hp with one aimed shot. that is, with the appropriatly high concealment, and maybe a concealment buff of ql x.

10K is its present damage after lvl 130-140.

What kind of rifle do you have? Is it an X3? If not, you should try one Oh and I think you misunderstood the 10k figure, that's not a theoretical value, it's the damage you will actually be doing (well max damage) in 50 levels.
    Thromp Uber Soldat (hehe ok uber for 80 seconds )
    Threefitty UberSquishy NanoTech

Ok here it is... at aprox 120-130 you will start getting 10k aimed shots... but ya know what... the other 70+ levels higher... you still get the same 10k.... I think that it should be raised to maybe 20k... maybe higher... just make it so... that way agents can still improve... as Soldiers etc... they get FA 10k's at around 110... but as they get higher.. they get more and more chance of 10k.. Ive grouped with level 180 or so soldiers that get 10k every time they do FA and aprox 5-6k every time they do a burst... not to mention fling shot.. o well

well, excuse my ignorance (not sarcastic.) i havn't taken an agent higher than 50 yet. what hp are we talking about the mobs having that this agent is fighting by the time he starts getting such high as?

and yes, thromp, i've used an x3 quite a bit. it's aimed shots are good, just not good enough so far as i've seen.

i just think that the aimed shot should be extemely powerful, for the agent's level, as that is the only special attack the agent can reasonably use (in terms of ip,) and as their hp is horrifically low.
    Last edited by Nable7; Dec 7th, 2002 at 11:36:52.

mobs have aprox 40-80k HP I think.. just guessin =p

Problem is, not only agents use AS, trox soldiers, ma´s,doc´s with CH all use it, so if it would be boosted it would be way owerpowered.

Make it a check against professions... if an agent uses AS make it as high as 25k at higher levels... while others get 10k still... also do the same check for Soldiers on FA.. and raise the cap for them up to 15-20k....

In pvp its the only damage those stinky docs can do to me . It hurts too, its like 1k everytime and it always hits.
    Suupaslap Master 10th Dan--Rk2
    Smugglerguy Ickle baby fixer--Rk2

im realy not sure about how pvp should work. if as is significantly boosted, it would need to be changed in pvp. what about a full agent-specific nano line of major as boosters, in addition to a big raise in the damage cap? i stand by my algebra in the ealier post. an agent should be able to do as much as 40% damage to the equivelent mob (that's one of the same level as he/she is.)