Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Other Things AO Needs to Rethink (Or "PC in a PC Game")

Red face Other Things AO Needs to Rethink (Or "PC in a PC Game")

Alcohol in the game.

I mean, how many recovering alcoholics use this game to escape the reality of the temptations of substance abuse only to have it placed in their face by the inclusion of "Party Mixer" just standing in the street in Omni Trade? It must be pure Hell for them when you realize so many of the events happen in the nightclubs scattered throughout Rubi-Ka and to participate they have to go into these dens of inequity.

Violence against women.

This is horrendous. I can remember my first missions--women collapsing at my feet in pain, gasping out their last breath after I shot them. It was weird. Striking a woman is out of the question for me in the real world, but in spite of my initial discomfort in the game I can now do it with nary a blink. I just wonder how many victims of domestic abuse see this as a fun and necessary part of the game? Or perhaps watching some big tough guy slap around a female gives them flashbacks. Hmm.

Gender confusion

There's this whole Atrox thing. As if the whole sexual identity crisis wasn't tough enough for some young people. Now you can play a sexless entity. This could be very damaging to someone who, rather than face the turmoil of their internal struggle, seeks refuge in the "sexless" persona of an Atrox. And I won't even talk about the whole crossgender possibilities. Imagine the reawakened trauma of an ex-girlfriend who turned out to be a transvestite that occurs when, after weeks of grouping and talking with "****eywench", "she" reveals that "she" is really a 16 year old boy in Bakersfield, California, working on his roleplaying skills. OH THE HORROR!

I think that AO in toto is just a plot by those subversives in Norway, who are as noted in another post no doubt uncaring and emotionless baztards that probably hate America/Mom/Apple Pie, to erode our mental and emotional stability.

FIGHT THE POWER!
    Last edited by Rhase; Jan 19th, 2002 at 19:45:10.

Yes!

bring up the call!

FIGHT THE POWER!

2 posts are better'n one

Just wanted to say that that some people (rhase) are able to see this stuff for what it is.

Angry Sorry but this is ridiculous

I really don't want to come off as just mindlessly flaming but this post is completely absurd.

Political correctness must be stopped! This is a game. It is not reality. In reality I would never ever in a million years walk down the street with an Assault Rifle and then proceed outside to kill things (be they male, female or other). But this is a game.

While on its surface PC has noble aims, in fact, political correctness is nothing more than the embodiment of self-righteousness. Inherent in the entire PC ideology is an implicit assumption that people are too weak or stupid to know what is right, to be able to distinguish reality from fantasy, and to act properly in the face of any suggestive content. This is insulting and dangerous.

The fact that you would talk of "fighting the power" in this context is simply too ironic to express properly. PC is the power. It is the ideology that dominates. I hope that at least some of you realize how dangerous an ideology this is. It is the ultimate form of censorship. It is the ultimate form of control. It limits and undermines legitimate discourse and seeks to insert itself into all areas of life without consideration to the consequences. It is a Hammer and Avil ideology that by its very logic allows no dissent.

If you want to pander to the oversensitive neo-liberals who seek to subsum all things down to the lowest-common-denominator for fear of offending someone please I beg of you don't do it in a video game.
    "Woe unto those who would tempt us from our path. Woe unto those who would defile the the Spirit in transgression against Him. For them I shall show no mercy. Such is the will of Bantz"

Yes, the post is absurd. Its a form of arguement called reductum ad absurdum, in which one invalidates the other side of the arguement by reducing it to its most ridiculous abstract.

In other words, its a goof.

Thank you, and good night.

*whew*

I am happy to see there are others ppl that think the same I do.
    When I read the first post I was scared to find reply that said "yeah, you're right man, its a crime to include such things in a game"...but luckly it was just a nightmare...
    - ARMAGEDDON X -

Dear omniscum...I know you can't really die on this planet...But that doesn't mean you don't feel the pain when I kick your butts!

Cool

HA!

I got one...*tosses his hook back in the water searching for another*
    Last edited by Rhase; Jan 20th, 2002 at 02:41:42.

Killing women is bad.

But killing men is okay?

WTF ITS A GAME **** THE SHUT UP.

I dont care what I kill, be it man, women, thing..monster...demon...aergh.

If you want to bring the bombings into it, dude shut the **** up nobody wants to here it, just becuase a building was bombed doesnt mean it has ANYTHING to do with past events.

Its a game, the story has been already written and set, "so they say"

You should go play some First person shooters and come back here, they are more gruesome...and, better

Bang bang...your dead.. <--Read it yet?

lol rhase

You would have had more but your opening was just to lame. I felt you would have done better to drop the Alcohol in the game as nobody would have cared about that. It was just to way out there plus you should have waited until you had a few more in the trap and let it run so people could start to defend it that would have been even funnier.

Oh well

You know why people seldom fish in a hatchery?

Its just to easy.

ROFL!

But let's just see how many he catches!
    Anastasia "Aniee" Cervenak
    Martial Artist

Man is the only animal that blushes, or needs to. -------Mark Twain

Fishing in a Hatchery

Yep yep..I know. But it was a reaction to boredom as well as the Sheep Following the Herd Complex. Plus its clear that many will post without really pondering.....and pondering is important..ask Brain.

Even AFTER Canary's post? How sickeningly funny!

We'll see..in any case, I think I made my point

Yes, you made your point...and I still cant stop laughing
    Father Chagidiel
    High priest in The Church of OmniTek

Film director extraordinairre RandaZ's Avatar

Ouch, my sides hurt!

Rhase,

God bless you!

While we're at it, we might also want to call the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. Afterall, what's the first thing out of the Omni-Tek arrival door... but the call to kill innocent furry critters. *sob*

And don't get me started on the quite unsensible women's clothing... with all those holes, just imagine all the unsightly tan lines caused by the two Rubi-Ka suns! Heaven help us!

Tap
    Slotine Zembower
    R.U.R. Member (RK1)

Tappert Solminski
    Tailor of Rome-Blue (RK1) [currently MIA]

I'm posting, so there

So many people online seem to have no sense of humor whatsoever. I'm reminded of an article I read posted on some site. Something like Slashdot, but with less Linux. Anyway, the comments were ten times longer than the article, and fully 90% of them were something like WTF you're obviously wrong well duh you suck! Great stuff.

I guess you had to be there.

I'd go fishing with you, but I'm not very good at writing.

P.S. You also didn't mention the obvious cruelty displayed in some missions. Gargs are stuck in rooms barely big enough to fit them, and they have no way of escaping! It's horrendous. I've seen gargs that couldn't even turn around and hit me, they were so closely stuck in. I suppose FC wants me to put my cat in a shoebox.

HAhahhhaHAHAHHaaaaa... LOL... HAHHAAAAAHhahahaha.. ROTFL.. Oh.. to good.. It hurts.. ouch..
    RPG means Role-Playing Game.

I can't believe nobody has brought up boosted stims yet. These are obviously thinly veiled refrences to methamphetamine. Funcom is obviously a front for an international meth-smuggling ring tyring to brainwash our kids into using stimulants.

And what about runspeed stims? These are obviously refreces to performance enhancing sports drugs which have been banned in professional sports, but not for student athletes. Funcom is trying to get our children hooked on drugs!

This must stop, Funcom, have you no shame? What about the clildren? WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN?!?!?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast