Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What does MOB stand for?

Originally posted by Jynne
    COD - Circle of Death. It's where you'd KITe a mob in a big circle by keeping it aggroed on you, while your group stood in the middle of that circle and shot it with ranged weapons/spells.
    Oh! Like what we do at The Pest!

Originally posted by Alphafemale
    woot = something excitingly great. even tho some people missuse it. my guess it cuz they dont know is real meaning. "woot" is slang for "what", which in america if you say it loud and you sound plesantly excited, it sounds like woot, and it means your really happy for yourself or someone else.

example: Player 1: I lvled 20 times today!
    Player 2: woot!

Player 1: I won Dragon Chest in raffle!
    Players 2-100: Woot!
    Eh?

This looks like second-hand information.

For the most part, you are correct (excitingly great, etc) but it's NOT slang for "what" in the U.S.

If anything it's a relative of "woo!", "woo-wie!", "yippie!", "hoot!" and the like. Basically, it's just another excited exclamation.

If anyone would like to know what a gimp or a twink is IRL, PM me, because I don't think Funcom would like it explained here on these forums.
    -=STRATAH=-

TFC coup co-conspirator
    Member of The Mocker's Naked, Co-ed, Full contact, Drunken, Synchronized Blitzing Team

-=The Mockers=-

I believe that "twink" is a shorthand word made up from the word "tweaked", "tweaked out" or "tweaked out character". Computer hobbyists typically "tweak" their systems with the most minute little adjustments to software and hardware to get maximum performance out of the device. Sometimes this takes an amazing amount of effort for a trivial gain in performance but it is the pursuit of that last little edge of efficiency which drives these individuals.

Translate that to individuals who massively over-equip, implant, and otherwise find ways to push their 'toons to ultimate capabilities for no reason other than they can just do it and you can see where the phrase "twink" comes into play.

Marquess
    Marquess - Martial Artist (Rimor)
    Countdmoney - Doctor (Rimor)

Member of Project EDEN

actually twink comes from twinkie

you know that delicious treat that is completely artifical and has no food value but everyone LOVES to spend money on?

(it is an EQ term from WAYYYYY back)

I am Dnastyone Official Broom pusher for The Professionals
    Painmage my newest funnest guy
    PHEAR ME RK1 Yazule IMMMM BACK

I would have to say that this is an typicall example of how an flame should not look like. You need to think things through and calm down before you try to write an flame... Im sorry but I would rate this flame with an 1. Aggression is to high, grammar and cursing isnt to well planned... Maybe he has an point somewhere in there but I dont even want to find it. - Centurion3

ROFLOL

'Killing in transit'? That sounds like it was made up after people already started using it. Was under the impression it came from the simple image of a kite; something you string out a certain distance behind you and keep it there.

Originally posted by Stratah

Eh?

This looks like second-hand information.

For the most part, you are correct (excitingly great, etc) but it's NOT slang for "what" in the U.S.

If anything it's a relative of "woo!", "woo-wie!", "yippie!", "hoot!" and the like. Basically, it's just another excited exclamation.

If anyone would like to know what a gimp or a twink is IRL, PM me, because I don't think Funcom would like it explained here on these forums.
    I don't know which part of US you live in, but I can asure you I heard people use "what!" , slightly missounding and sounding like "woot!", way before I played AO (my 1st and only mmorpg), like 10 years ago, here on east coast, NYC vicinity. And yes, it had pretty much the same meaning most people try to get out of saying "woot" in AO. Of course I never heard someone use it about "phat loot" until AO. Was used to say stuff like: Damn, that girl got big butt! Woot!(really saying What!) Again this might be NY/NJ/PA only thing, but i definatly heard it way before. But then again, mybe its all just a big coincidence and one has nothing to do with another.

And wth is "hoot?"
    Last edited by Alphafemale; Dec 6th, 2002 at 18:25:05.

MOB :
    This is indeed an abbreviation of "Mobiles" but a friend just bonked me on the head and told me that "Mobiles" is actually an abbreviation of "Mobile Objects".

So we end up with : Mobile Objects ---> Mobiles ---> MOB

Damn those lazy programmers.

woot :
    This is clearly an exclamation, like "woooo". It has it's roots in american slang.

congorats :
    No idea just where those rats came from .. but they rule !

hoot :
    It's something Owls do when they want to talk together, they hoot.

phat :
    Some sort of American slang.

gank :
    I think this one comes from the middle ages, when someone was robbed really badly, he had been "ganked" by thieves. Later on used by the millitary for sure, since "ganking" an enemy would mean almost no danger to yourself and is a "good tactic". Obviosly this was used in First Person Shooters when they hit the gaming industry where small people would group up to "gank" someone, just because they could. And finally, those gamers took it to the MMOG scene.

Heck, if there will ever be space combat, there will be people ganking each other by then - It's one of those immortal words like "fuc|<", "bit.ch" and "$hit" (and all 3 will probably be filtered by the messageboard).

kite :
    This is indeed from the idea of dragging something behind you, like a kite.
    There's more to it than that though ... like "reverse-kiting", "aggro-kiting", "ping-pong-kiting" and the ever so elusive "teleport-kiting" (which can be a ***** if it goes wrong).

Basically, you make your enemy slower than yourself, or make damn sure you are faster then him.
    Then you get his attention by, from a distance, throwing something at him that hurts him a little, then you run a bit, hit him again ... rinse and repeat until enemy is dead.

Even a caveman could have done this with enough stones to throw at something moving no faster than a turtle.

The doglike animals called Hyena's in australia actually use a form of "reverse-kiting" since they choose a target and then chases it until the target is so exhausted that it can run no further, much less fight back.
    I believe the millitary term for the "reverse-kiting" strategy is "harrying" an enemy, nib at the flanks until the fight is over.

So it's hardly something new, even if it haven't been labelled as "kiting" before.

Kwerk said :
    I never hear 'DING' before Everquest where leveling has a similar sound, but I never heard 'WOOT' before then either...
    It is correct that EverQuest brought it into the MMOG industry and this is probably why we use it today in AO.
    In an old EQ interview though, one of the developers said that he had been riding the elevator and when he reached the 17th floor (which was the same level as his character at that time) it gave a great big "ding" ... so he recorded it and used it for levelling sound.

In other words, it says "ding" because you reached your next "level/floor".

Now, I wonder where the elevator developers got the idea of a "ding" from ?

I never saw a MUD where it said "ding" ... they always says something like "Congratulations, you have reached level xxxx !"

diatribe said :
    BTW: Cado/Jynne is your knowledge of DikuMUD more than passing.
    Actually, I never really played MUDs as such, but since I was heavily into programming at one point, I accidently wound up on visits to Copenhagen University because back in the days, they had the knowledge and the hardware. Coincidentally, DikuMUD was developed there, so I probably met quite a few of the original developers and never knew it.

BUT - We had many heated discussions on wether or not object based coding was really worth it since it was so complicated and those rogue pointers always seemed to get the better of us.

Later on DikuMUD was developed upon by a lot of people and I think CircleMUD was probably the most widespread one for a looong while .... not sure if it still is. Anyways, DikuMUD history is probably somewhere on http://www.dikumud.com so knock yourselves out.

Anyways - Saying that EQ / AO / UO would not have excisted without MUDs is probably unfair, I think they would have come anyways, but probably 5 years later. The real source for those games mostly lies in the D&D / AD&D universes which are a great inspiration to a lot of games, including the MUDs.

Oh .. and for the name :

The game originated at the Department of Computer Science at the University of Copenhagen (in Danish: Datalogisk Institut ved Københavns Universitet; or, amongst friends: DIKU) and then they slapped MUD on the end.

MUD = Multi User Dungeon.
    Alex "Cado" Portello - Atrox Enforcer
    Lakisha "Sheelai" Thompon - Solitus Doctor
    Al "Asdur" Orender - Solitus Martial Artist

I have no nose .. I peeked on Ani while she took a shower!

WOOT

Actually "woot" started back in the 80's when the Arsenio Hall show came on. He would walk on stage and the audience would raise thay arms and make a fist and shout "WOOT!!!" over and over again.

Here's another discussion on the word w00t - no more conclusive than this one I'm afraid.

http://www.invasionforums.com/showth...p?threadid=285

Re: WOOT

Originally posted by lit
    Actually "woot" started back in the 80's when the Arsenio Hall show came on. He would walk on stage and the audience would raise thay arms and make a fist and shout "WOOT!!!" over and over again.

Actually I'm pretty sure it was "woof", and you would make a fist and spin it at the side of your head. I'm loathe to admit that I have done this before in my life, but hey, it was the 80's, I can blame it on wall street and all that coke, oh, and the big hair and bad clothes.

yah .. it was "woof" on the Arsenio Hall show.
    Looks pretty silly too when they do it.
    ralphred420, shame on you !

Originally posted by Cado
    MOB :

Actually, I never really played MUDs as such, but since I was heavily into programming at one point, I accidently wound up on visits to Copenhagen University because back in the days, they had the knowledge and the hardware. Coincidentally, DikuMUD was developed there, so I probably met quite a few of the original developers and never knew it.

BUT - We had many heated discussions on wether or not object based coding was really worth it since it was so complicated and those rogue pointers always seemed to get the better of us.

I wasted 6 years of my life playing and programing DIKU based muds, and they are certainly NOT object oriented in devleopment or design. As a mater of fact, I don't think there was even an attempt at any sort of object design at all in the base DIKUMUD code. It was all procedural, even jusy by looking at the names of the files and functions. Not to mention it was writen in C and not a OO language like C++ or smalltalk.

It was a real pain to try a work on a game that was just perfect for object based coding, but was developed strictly as procedure based.

Doesn't mater anyway, MMOGRPGs are way supperior to text base muds. not so much for visual content and pretty graphics, but because you can have 100 times more features and ways for players to expand their characters.

y'know .. I never said that DIKUMUD was object based.
    In fact I have no knowledge if it is object based or not.

And besides, if you WANT to do object based programming in C, you very certainly can do so. Heck, it's even possible in the ageold Pascal language. Granted, it takes a lot of hard work, but it's possible.

Besides, how do you think C++ was made ?
    Why, with C offcourse.

And yes, I agree that the new graphical MMOG's are superior in most aspects. I especially love the immersion that most MMOG's give players. Nothing like watching that double sunset over the Reet Retreat.

Heck, it even gives the Real Life world a good run for the money in it's own quirky way.

I don't want to expose how long I have been involved with computers, programming and computer gaming but everything I have heard coincides perfectly with what Cado posted above.

The Arsenio thing was really off though. I quote from a bio of the show:
    The set had an area at the stage left of the band designated as the "dog pound" where a group of guests would sit and cheer Hall with barks ("Woof," "Woof," "Woof!") while moving their right fists in circles above their heads.
    I believe this actually originated in the old Apollo Theatre but I don't have the time to dig up the documentation.

Twink, as I understand it, was derived from Twinkie the snack cake because it had a soft cream filled center which is a metaphor for the real character underneath all that good armor.

Couldn't twink also owe some of its meaning to the similar word tweek (tweak?) as in to adjust something bit by bit: "The usage of stepping implants allowed Dumbo to twink his armor much higher than one would expect for his level" or the fact that someone with bright shiny highlevel armor could be said to twinkle.

The twinkie reference makes sense if twink is used as a noun, but I most often hear it used as a verb, in which case the whimpy tweak version makes more sense.

But then again, we're talkin origins, not logic and admittedly, I don't have a clue (about anything, but I am accepting quarters). Heck, I started this thing 'cause I didn't know what MOB meant...
    Last edited by RoboKa; Dec 7th, 2002 at 20:31:41.
    RoboKa & RoboKaKa
    Solitus Neutral Engineer & Pet

WOOT Wonderful Loot (Everquest gaming slang; also seen as W00T)

I am NOT making this up.
    Originally posted by Whaambulance
    Hi.

This is singlehandedly the stupidest post I have EVER read on these forums. Congradulations.
    'Balancing' Nanos Will Remain Imbalanced Vs. Old Nanos - Because We Said So!

O Gaute, Gaute! Wherefore art thou Gaute?
    Deny thy nerfs and refuse thy lame design decisions;
    Or, if thou wilt not, be but on the forums,
    And I'll no longer be a whiner.

The terms 'Twink' and 'Tweak' are in no way related.
    Indeed 'Tweaking' means to fine tune and adjust to perfection while 'Twink' means to over equip a low level character far beyond it's abilities unless you have another character providing the items.

The origin of the term given by Miram Webster Dictionary is:

The origin of the term3 : to make small adjustments in or to <tweak the controls>; especially : FINE-TUNE
    intransitive senses : PULL 1a, PLUCK

Some say that the use of tweezers to adjust the wire on a crystal for AM radio was the origin of how we use the term today and that may be true.
    However I believe that it came into more widespread use when electronic components consisted of tubes or semi-solid state circuits which incorporated the first transistors. The whole device was dependant upon potentiometers (POTS) which could be adjusted to 'tune' the device until it worked properly. To tweak the most sensitive devices required an oscilliscope. Just ask any old US Navy electronics veteran. The term 'Tweak the POTS' eventually became 'Tweak' and a very fine long slender de-magnetized standard screwdriver, the type used to adjust the POTS, was even called 'a Tweaker'.
    Last edited by Kwerk; Dec 8th, 2002 at 04:14:02.

Originally posted by Sheffy

Oh! Like what we do at The Pest!
    lol! True that. =)

-Jayde

Originally posted by Kwerk
    The Arsenio thing was really off though. I quote from a bio of the show:
    The set had an area at the stage left of the band designated as the "dog pound" where a group of guests would sit and cheer Hall with barks ("Woof," "Woof," "Woof!") while moving their right fists in circles above their heads.
    I believe this actually originated in the old Apollo Theatre but I don't have the time to dig up the documentation.
    I have no idea if the barking started in the Apollo Theatre or not, but the first I heard it was from the 'Dawg Pound' at the (then) Cleveland Municipal Stadium in the mid '80s at Cleveland Browns football games.

P.S. I still say Flip when I level. Sadly, I must educate most people as to what I'm talking about.
    Animacion 160 Opi Enforcer equipment
    Takima 166 Trader
    Proud member of First Order for 3 years and going.

"All things around you grow stonger from your spilled blood. Now, you grow stronger from theirs."

Most of the time I don't say anything when I make a level, but when I do I say 'bong' just to be different Never had anyone ask me what the heck I was talking about.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast