Thread: Question on weight limits

Question on weight limits

I know they used to exist but I never experienced them. They do sound like a groovy idea, but I'm guessing they didn't work or were hugely un popular.

So what gives? What hapened?
    Kissysuzuki 220 - 24 - 60/70
    Minisuzuki 205 - 9 - 13/70
    Riders of the Lost Org

"Enforcers are being nibbled to death"

I remember the weight system in AO pissed me off during summer last year.
    I seem to remember it was like having a -750 run cast on you, or something like that.

It's kinda fun now thou, running around with cars / boats / planes and tons of equipment in one backpack. The real weight on all that is probably several tons ..... heheheheh
    Best Regards,

Samuz

4ever seeking ULTIMATE POWER

Samuz - Lvl 155 - the original Blackshirt of Zuwadza nipple twistin' MP (RK1)
    Alphaville *4 ever young* - Lvl 112 GAMKII smurfy' Fixer (RK1)
    Digitize - Lvl 50 Solider (RK1)
    Samuz - Lvl 29 Beam whippin' Enforcer (RK2)
    -= Played AO since the Beta days =-

Timezone ; GMT+1

** Re-activated AO on May 1st after being gone and playing other games for the past 14 months - I feel like the total n00b **

Well, the weight limits on backpacks, if I recall, only ever applied if you actually went to put them on your back. As for the weight system, I thought it was a fun tweak in the game. I mean... I do find it kind of ludicrous to be running around with a 500 Run Speed with Heavy Tank Armor and a full suit of armor on, but hey, it has helped gameplay to have the weight restrictions removed.
    Rhiannon "Krystanova" Pourier
    Xenobiologist and Explorer, 179 Adventurer
    Explorer 100%, Achiever 53%, Socializer 47%, Killer 0%

Visit Faunlore: Rubi-Kan Wildlife, the Anarchy Online bestiary!

Weight

We used to have a weight system, but we never succeded in making it work well, so we removed it. A weight system has few other uses than adding "realism" to the game, so we have no current plans to spend resources on making it work again.

It used to be morannoying then useful.
    If FC ever wanted to add realism then they would ditch that 50% crit rule.

Anyways, it would make the life of a ninja looter hell.

At launch, I would run a solo mission and half way through I would have to stop looting because I was bogged down by "too much" loot, which is silly because it was usually 1 backpack full.

I think Ammo used to weigh you down at first too. I remember buying a lot and not being able to move -- but I could be remembering incorrectly, as it was nearly a year and a half ago.

Certainly made running home from missions a chore though And the previous poster is correct, more annoying than anything. This game does not really need that kind of realism, otherwise you'd never be able to run with a yalm in your pocket.

Arrow

Its the distant future, theres plenty of explanations.

Heres a fun one:

The newbie underwear we all start with has antigrav generators that can compensate for the first ~10 tons over your character's weight...but it also has a tamper proof (and fixer proof) governor that doesn't affect your natural weight

BTW, if you do try to tamper with it, usually it malfunctions and adds ~10 tons to your weight, enough to even kill atrox.
    mercatura -ae f. [trade, traffic; merchandise]

Moved off-world and found real tradeskills...along with many other things

The weight system was a pain. As sheffy I remember those low level days where half a mission worth of loot would slow you to a crawl... Its also part of why AO didn't get reinstalled back in september 2001 and stayed out until I looked at the AO videos january 2002... Well the real reason was blue screens

ya the weight system that existed at launch did more harm then good.

FUncom removing it was a step in the right direction. Funcom dev does alot of good things we dont thank them for.

1) weight system

2) fullheals requiring 1 ncu was removed too

3) morph floats fixed

etc etc

so thanks