Thread: To expand on Whitesand's concepts...(tower defense)

To expand on Whitesand's concepts...(tower defense)

A couple of ideas I can see to improve tower combat and help lag.

1. The controller area is a level capped zone at the high end only. Keep the high levels out of low level controllers.

2. No PvP level caps (except rule #1). I'm tired of tabbing through 100 low levels to find my target. You got 1 min to evac the area...that is more than enough time for anyone to figure out they are in the wrong place. This has a ton of good effects including removing spying and fixing lag in major high-level battles.

3. Something has to be done regarding tower defense when very few or no org members are on. Maybe set a timer based on # of online player until gas returns to 100% (a moving peak during the attack so that players just can't log to reduce attack time). If FC wants ppl to put the time it needs to build good bases, they need to make them reasonably difficult to destroy.

4. Once you are in the controller zone, you are in. If you leave the zone willingly (not crowd control), you cannot return for 5/10/15/(pick one that you like)/..minutes.

5. Once an attack is initiated, update the controller to say when the gas will return to 100%. This way the defense team knows how long they will need to hold their ground. I have yet to do a BS mission since NW came out. Maybe this is a secret nerf on xps and suckered us with that side xp bonus.

6. Coupled with #3...allow the org to 1/day to change their gas to 100% for some time (8-9 hours is a good recommended sleep ). This will allow ppl to actually sleep and enjoy real life without fear of having to re-assemble their 100 tower base over the next 10 hours. It isn't easy cramming 100 towers into those lots of land. It could take hours to layout a good configuration.

I'm sure I went overboard on some of these ideas...and maybe not strong enough on others. I hope these ideas strike a chord with some of ya.

All excellent ideas and none unbalancing in the least. In addition, why not let orgs "pay" a modest amount for "gas scheduling." This would create a money sink and allow for more consistent defense at the same time. Players will work or other responsibilities (and these are FCs most stable customers, i.e. no refused CC charges) will not put up long with logging on to find that their towers were destroyed while they weren't ingame. I for sure won't.

FC has shown over and over that taking away player control, e.g. mezz and charm in PvP, is unacceptable. What greater loss of control is there than losing progress in the game while offline? It is similar to allowing characters to rob other characters' banks.

Last night in BS, besides being a lagfest, was also a strong case for arguments 2 and 4. The zone hugging attackers would enter the PvP zone until the last second of grace and then run right back out, rinse, repeat. Surely this is not what FC intended. Low level players were lagging up the playfield for everyone running about with impunity. It only takes a couple of days for someone to create a "griefing" alt simply for creating lag, ninjaing and disrupting others' fun.

Remove PvP caps in controlled areas. NW is high end content. Trying to make it all things to all people will create a failure.
    Last edited by Jutlina; Dec 4th, 2002 at 18:11:03.

Originally posted by Sanskrit
    All excellent ideas and none unbalancing in the least. In addition, why not let orgs "pay" a modest amount for "gas scheduling." This would create a money sink and allow for more consistent defense at the same time. Players will work or other responsibilities (and these are FCs most stable customers, i.e. no refused CC charges) will not put up long with logging on to find that their towers were destroyed while they weren't ingame. I for sure won't.
    How about implimenting this as something players can participate in along with sinking some cash. For example, a specific device that is used to "modify" the suppression gas ticker. Perhaps an Engineer only tool. This tool is "used" on the controller to add minutes to the ticker. Limit its usage by only allowing so many modifications within a 24/36 - hour period, or something to that effect. The quality of "maintainence" by the engineer could also be dependent on the amount of points in the tradeskills required.

I don't like the idea of the players not having the ability to manage their own creations. I do like the idea of including the players in as much interaction as possible.

/end 2-cents
    At Midnight, All the Agents...
    Veneman
    Fullnelson
    Halfnelson

Agents- lilttle slightly insane people who run around and kill you before you know what is going on... and if they dont kill you fast... well, cannon fodder (altho they are good for scouting) -eternalfiend

The Sock-Hat, it adds 1 to my tempo.

I agree with both your improvements to my original concepts. It is always good to draw gameplay back into the game (e.g. Engies lowering gas through the use of tools).

I think FC can make NW low level content as well...just can't be done with their current rules. People have been complaining about crowd control recently...no better way of doing crowd control than keeping the people out who don't belong first.

lol...

Has anyone figured out yet that a 7% exp bonus on ZERO exp is still ZERO exp?

What good does it do to get an exp bonus that doesn't come close to making up for the lack of time spent earning exp?

The only ones benefiting in exp are the ones that don't participate in NW...I find that highly amusing.

Re: lol...

Originally posted by Nelida
    Has anyone figured out yet that a 7% exp bonus on ZERO exp is still ZERO exp?

What good does it do to get an exp bonus that doesn't come close to making up for the lack of time spent earning exp?

The only ones benefiting in exp are the ones that don't participate in NW...I find that highly amusing.
    I participate in NW all the time. All my characters also benefit from the exp (except one......). In fact, the exp bonus motivates me to participate in NW even more! Hey, when I wanna do missions, each and every one of my characters now has at least a 7% IQ ring on. Not a thing bad about that!
    Warboc - 218 Adv
    President of Defiance

My comment to Silars point number one.

The Defenders decide the PvP range for the attackers that can get into the Land Control in first place. If the defenders is from level 65-85 will only attackers from 57-95 be allowed to enter the Land Controlled area. If there is no defenders around there will the PvP range be calculated out from the level of the tower. But if there is a level 200 Doctor (as defender) by the QL75 Tower, will the range be from 65-200 so high levels may be able to take down that doc healing the lower levels.