Thread: ClickSaver and Win2k SP3

ClickSaver and Win2k SP3

Just a FYI for anyone doing a clean install of their computer:

ClickSaver does not start up properly if run for the first time under service pack 3. Learned this by reinstalling windows and going right to sp3 before installing anything else.

On the previous install, ClickSaver worked fine under service pack three, but it had been configured, and created it's database under service pack 2.

Anyway, just figured folks would like a heads up, I sure wasted alot of time on the issue.
    Glarawyn L220 OT Adventurer
    It's good to be furry.
    ----
    Lilredhot L220 OT Enforcer
    Don't mind me, I tank without a helmet.
    ----
    Gunslinger19 L150 OT Soldier
    There's a word for people who think everyone's out to get them: perceptive.

Bumping this.
    Good to know. Thanks, Glarawyn!
    So the correct procedure would be install W2k -> install clicksaver and configure -> install SP3?

I was going to do a clean install pretty soon, so you probably saved me quite a bit of time
    Vanguard Mharc. Self-equipper extraordinaire no longer. I'm back!

Glarawyn, could you detail the symptoms ? What does it does exactly when using it under SP3 ?

There's still an annoying bug currently: after updating its database, CS for some reasons bumps the date/time of the AO database file. So, on the subsequent uses, it thinks that its local database is outdated and want to rebuild it again.

I though I fixed it in 2.2.5, but there's apparently more than that to it. At least, I have the problem and I know some others who do.

I hope that I'll be able to complete 2.3 this week-end, as I want to iron out some of these kinks in the database copy stuff (and add a progress bar, it's getting annoying ), as well as improving the buying agent (I finally found why my previous attempts at making it stoppable with the return key didn't work, so I'll be able to make it move the mouse over the request button automatically before each click again)

And how about updating Clicksaver's database after a patch? Will it work on SP3?

I am running SP2 at the moment but now that I have been informed that SP3 is out (I have not been keeping myself updated in the world of Microsoft lately ) I will most likely upgrade.
    Cordell "Lhaen" Streller :: Omni Enforcer with a big warblade
    Tomas "Waeron" Vallegos :: Clan Adventurer, semi-retired until morph movement animation is fixed for wielders of two-handed weapons - or I decide to use up my IP reset points and go for pistols

It must not be an every person thing. I wun win2k SP3 and had no issues installing CS or updating the database.

Of course I stuck that .dll it depends on in the directory with it, since I did not have it in my system32 folder. Cant remember the name of the bastard and I'm at work, but I would make a wild guess and say if you DO have that as part of your system, and its updated with a difrent version as part of SP3 then it may break CS. so if you think of it download another version (as I had to do) or save the old version from SP2.
    IMI Tellus TT Advocate.
    Helsinki Dual wielding Tellus Soldier
    Chlamydia Combat Medic "turn right and cough..."
    Heygimme Gourmet baby chef and connoisseur.

I run Win2K w/ SP3, I play live and Test Server. I've had no problems at all with it other than everytime I switch I have to run the duplicator again, gets old.
    Do you guys think I could put another CS in a different file, run it from there, and not have to go through this anyomre?

Here's hopefully a more deatailed rundown of what I was running into:

Was happily (ok, maybe happily isn't the right word for it) running AO and CS 2.2.5 under Windows 2000 SP3, but the first time ClickSaver setup (where it generates it configs) was done pre service pack 3. CS worked fine, even updated it's database no problem. (Though it did it twice before it actually worked)

But due to some issues with other apps, I reinstalled Windows 2000, and applied every patch from Windows Update before installing anything else.

Then I installed AO, and tried to get ClickSaver to go. And it would display the Madshi splach screen, and that was all the farther it got.

So I started uninstalling patches until I was back down to "freshly installed windows 2000," but in typical Windows fashion doing so caused explorer.exe to go into a infinite crash loop, so I ended up reinstalling Windows again.

This time around, I installed my drivers, DirectX, Service Pack 1, and nothing else, then installed AO and ClickSaver. Works fine. Haven't tried Service Pack 2 yet.

Let me know if there's anything I can help you do to debug it MORB, I'll be out of town most of next week though.
    Glarawyn L220 OT Adventurer
    It's good to be furry.
    ----
    Lilredhot L220 OT Enforcer
    Don't mind me, I tank without a helmet.
    ----
    Gunslinger19 L150 OT Soldier
    There's a word for people who think everyone's out to get them: perceptive.

Originally posted by Igrat
    I run Win2K w/ SP3, I play live and Test Server. I've had no problems at all with it other than everytime I switch I have to run the duplicator again, gets old.
    Do you guys think I could put another CS in a different file, run it from there, and not have to go through this anyomre?
    Of course. You can have several clicksaver installations.

I am having the exact same problem as Glarawyn - freezes at the splash screen after a fresh install of Windows and updating to SP 3. I did have my old installation of ClickSaver intact since I had it on a separate hard drive, but even with everything still there, it won't work.

Thanks for your work on ClickSaver, MORB. You don't realize how wonderful it is until you can't use it.
    Janella "Nevver" McCallagher
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»
    Why settle for less when you can oppress?

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain
    "Nevver: Like the thing that hides in your closet. But worse." - Gueve

Also known as...
    Jacquelynn "Kaitakait" Moscardelli
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

First, MORB, I also want to say THANK YOU for clicksaver!!!!

And as long as you're here and reading this thread, I figured I'd ask if there are any known bugs with using clicksaver and team mission terminals. Everytime I click on the "request missions" button in a team mission terminal, clicksaver crashes. This happens on both my WinXP and WinMe boxes. Does this happen for everyone, or should I be trying to troubleshoot it somehow?

Well, the team mission support in CS is broken. I've heard that it does that only if you used clicksaver on single mission before pulling team missions, so closing it and restarting it before pulling team missions might be a workaround.

Someday, I'll have to try and debug that... But I must get my lazy ass complete the 2.3 already ;)

I had a rather nasty experience wth clicksaver run under win2k sp2. I tried all kinds of stuff to pinpoint the problem, except changing OS, which is way to timeconsuming. It took me a few days to figure out what it was (the bug symptoms was described in the textfile of of 2.2.5, and similar to what happened to me.)

Then it dawned on me. It was the antivirus program running in the background. I have Norton Internet Security and Norton Antivirus Protect, which in some way interfered with CS compilation of the Database. As soon as I disabled them, CS worked perfectly. Just something others might try out b4 formatting and changing OS
    "Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

MORB - thank you thank you thank you!

Simply put, I would not play AO with[OUT] CS. -sorry, misspoke, i love CS and could not imagine playing without it-

But whoa is me. I too am having problems with CS that just started in the last couple of days. For me it also hangs on the Madshi splash screen. I even upgraded to 2.2.5 and get the same problem.

Unlike the others, I am running WinXP, and have Norton AV disabled.

Up until recently - it has run perfectly (or close to it!).

If there are any other details I can provide to help, please just let me know.

Thanks again for your product - it does make our virtual lives among Rubi-ka so much more enjoyable!

-street-
    Last edited by street; Dec 15th, 2002 at 03:33:31.

Was just wondering if this topic should be beacon warped to Technical ( other )

Question

Could one of you post the contents of the ClickSaver config file (and file name) or registry entries that it creates (IIRC, it doesn't use the registry now though)? I'm having the same problem at initial startup and I think manually creating the file would get me past that point.

Thanks,
    Zane

I totally agree, your clicksaver program has saved the game for me!

If you are planning to do some more work on it - please add a selectable check list next to each search item and search area. That way we do not have to retype common search items like certain types of weapons and items - it would be a huge time saver!

Example:

Under search items

concrete cushion [ ]
    NCU [ ]

So if we wanted to search for only a Concrete Cushion we would uncheck all the other items and leave Concrete Cushion checked.

Thanks again for that wonderful program!
    215 MP - Proud member of Band of Brothers

One more tip.

That was my problem as well - hangs on the Madshi splash screen. With WinXP all versions of CS did not function and no one on forums could help. But today problem was solved (at least CS created DB now) and the way to do it is pretty simple:

you right-click on the exe file of CS (to get a list of options), go to Properties and change the Compatibility to Win98. That’s it!

Looks like WinXP accept CS as a Win98 program
    "... when faced with a problem you do not understand, do any part of it you do understand, then look at it again."

--------
    Clora "Littlebee" Villalba - Fixer (Rubika-1)

Just a note, if you happen to have one of many brands of mouse that use em_exec it sometimes will cause CS to hang at the splash screen.

Check your running tasks processes for em_exec if it's there you may need to disable it to get clicksaver running.
    ~Bansioux~

Great tip!

Originally posted by BanSioux
    Check your running tasks processes for em_exec if it's there you may need to disable it to get clicksaver running.
    Many, many thanks, BanSioux! This is not only preventing hang, but AO crash as well.
    "... when faced with a problem you do not understand, do any part of it you do understand, then look at it again."

--------
    Clora "Littlebee" Villalba - Fixer (Rubika-1)

Clicked saver crashed and killed my fish.

On another note. Any way we could get a bit more info on an item on your screen. I find that each time i see an item tha looks interesting i have to examine the mission then take a closer look at the reward item. Just a few more lines about the reward item would rock.