Thread: Need improved targetting in PvP!

Need improved targetting in PvP!

Right now this is one of the biggest probs for me in pvp. Because of the level restrictions in pvp and the large level range teams, its very difficult to figure out who can be attacked. I seem to spend a whole lot of time tabbing through targets and seeing if i can attack them. Combined with the lag, this makes it pretty hard to pvp.

This could be solved by adding some sort of designator to both the map and the actual playview screen. Perhaps a colored border around their names, and the same color dot in the map view.

How about implementing Shift-Ctrl-Tab that cycles through things you can attack?
    Heals - they're not just for tradeskills anymore
    Hypos omni doc RK2 <-- stupid enough to have thought that going past level 150 would help her be a better doc
    Phlair omni mp RK2 solo char
    Nerfbat omni enf RK2 awarded the hammer of braveness
    Shadow Ops

that sounds like a great idea to me.. what do the rest of you guys think?

Originally posted by Hypos
    How about implementing Shift-Ctrl-Tab that cycles through things you can attack?
    Or just do Ctrl-Alt-Delete?

That was a little useless, Cold =P

I think both the map and the tab+other button ideas are great. It shouldn't be too hard to do, just incorporate the code that tests whether pressing q will let an attack start into the code for ctrl+alt+tab. Think that would take much extra time (i.e. laggy)? I don't think it would, but it might cause some noticeable difference in tab time.

If the map idea was to be made, it would have to recalculate every time somebody deteamed that was currently displayed on the map, and calculate every time somebody new came on to the map. Same question: would this be a lag issue, or completely not?

Also, would this be effective in every suppression zone, and represent who you would be able to attack IF you were in a PvP zone? Or would it represent everybody that you are currently able to attack?

Also, this would present knowledge to an enemy of who one is teamed with, in some situations. This could be a good thing, or a bad thing for both sides, depending on one of the many situations.

Basically, a lot more thought should be put into this before FC decides to look at it as a real option. We should make sure they don't screw anything up by having an almost finished plan. Post your replies to the questions I posed, please!
    -Stexer 'n Sterex

I am adored

Support the addition of non-level-restricted dueling

Type KSA -
    Killer 93%
    Socializer 40%
    Achiever 33%
    Explorer 33%

Ok, to add something serious to this discussion:

How about making a section in the options menu where we can assign "filters" for our tabbing like we can on the chat etc?

Things I want be able to filter out is for instance:

- People below my PvP range
    - Neutrals
    - Omni
    - People in grace?
    - People who are not PvP flagged
    - People in my PvP range who are teamed with low levels, making them outside my PvP range

I'm sure there are tons of other things we could filter, anyone got any more ideas?

-Traders

But just those who eat babies.
    Last edited by Insida; Dec 5th, 2002 at 02:34:23.

Originally posted by Insida
    -Traders

But just those who eat babies.
    I'm sure NTs would like a keypress to target any enemy fixer in range.

Traders, and every other profession.

Coldstrike, you have a fact wrong. Teaming with somebody lower than you does not affect your PvP range, only teaming with somebody higher.

But filters are a great idea.
    -Stexer 'n Sterex

I am adored

Support the addition of non-level-restricted dueling

Type KSA -
    Killer 93%
    Socializer 40%
    Achiever 33%
    Explorer 33%

While we are talking about interface improvements and new options, how about also adding an option to deny all friendly buffs? Like a checkbox for allow/deny friendly buffs or something. I'm sick of that cheap arsed tactic some people use where they fill up peoples NCU with crap.

Part of the tactics of large fights relies on attackers having to find appropriate targets. If you take away some of the targets by default, you've made it too easy.

Sort of like the situatoin with NTs and Grid Armor nukes. GA is the ONLY thing you can immediately spot on the battlefield. You don't have to try to find it or tab to find it. The NT sees it without having to do any work andthen kills the fixer.

While anything that helps you win a fight is technically a tactic, finding targets SHOULDN'T have to be one. Combined with lag, its mostly frustrating. If you could actually target everybody who was color coded appropriately, then it wouldn't be so bad. However, depending on teaming, you can attack some people in your pvp range and can't attack others, and you have no way of knowing which is which. Which means the only way find out is to check each potential target individually by trying to attack them.

Besides highjack, the easy targetability of the fixer is something you've complained about several times. If people could actually target OTHER enemies without as much hassle, maybe they wouldn't gun for you everytime. NT's can already find your blue butt easily, so improving targetting wouldn't really exacerbate that problem at all. Remember, PvP is supposed to be fun. This means you actually get to fight other players, not spend most of your time running around a lag fest area trying to find a valid target.

How about altering the crowd control to "filter" out people who aren't within the level range of the originally fighting parties? (yeah yeah, tower applicable only, but low levels can fly through when there isn't fight)

Combined with the other changes mentioned, which are also applicable in arenas, that would: cut down on lag at the towers (to a certain degree); allow you to fight with anyone that you can target; and keep outside-of-range people from interfering with these Maquis's Rule of Engagement.
    Last edited by Ecce; Dec 5th, 2002 at 20:22:22.