Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Takes 20 people and 2 docs to do anything "new" or worth the time in AO now

Takes 20 people and 2 docs to do anything "new" or worth the time in AO now

so in a year, i predict it will take 50 people and 5 docs to do anything they make new, and there will be about 5 omni guilds left

Behold : The bane of Mudflation.

More powerful weapons = More powerful adversaries = More people needed = Uber Guilds
    Alex "Cado" Portello - Atrox Enforcer
    Lakisha "Sheelai" Thompon - Solitus Doctor
    Al "Asdur" Orender - Solitus Martial Artist

I have no nose .. I peeked on Ani while she took a shower!

Pity the poor guy who believed funcom when they said we could solo *snicker*.
    Sredniaka Sherrmanaka Posthasteaka Thanatopsysaka Vashtareliusaka Nnerroaka Alexxander

"Quidquid latine dictum, sit altum viditur"

Sredni Vashtar went forth,
    His thoughts were red thoughts and his teeth were white.
    His enemies called for peace, but he brought them death.
    Sredni Vashtar the Beautiful.
    by HH Munro

I'd much rather they make some uber quests, but only allow a maximum of 6 people to attempt it. And tailor it around that.

Like, some uber tough mission, or something.
    50 people working together to get ONE ITEM is teh_sux.
    Don't be lonely anymore.

Look at your post, now back at mine. Now back to your post, now back at mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine, but if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate comments it could look like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through posts, reading the posts your posts could look like. Back at mine, it's a reply saying something you want to hear. Look again, my reply is now diamonds. Anything is possible when you think before you post.

Angry I Agree Fully!

Funcom please! This has GOT to STOP. It is too difficult to survive with less than a full party with a Doc! This is madness. Two good, experienced players have a Low chance of surviving absolutely anything that is worth their time. Combine this with lag = DEATH

Too many DEATHS= Not fun
    I would rather get PKed repeatedly than to keep doing missions with experienced teamates and have everyone get KILLED so easily. One little mistake is all it takes! A rollerat will get you. Too tough, gross overcompensation on the mobs.

Nothing I like more than soloing at Shades with a Fixer. Really refreshing.

Welcome to Everquest.

That's where we are now. About the time Kunark (Notum Wars) went live and things really went down the tubes.

This sort of thing is largely why I quit EQ. Now AO is going down the same road. I'd hoped this wouldn't be the case, but FC can't seem to find their own way, so they emulate Verant.

I was just on tonight fiddling in Old Athen and happened to notice I was the only virtual person in sight with no guild tag. Brrr....that's scary.

What was special about AO was the fact you could play on your own at your own pace and be (more or less) little different than anyone else, guilded or otherwise. Evidently, that's no longer going to be the case. Hello Kun...err... Notum Wars and mandatory guild membership, or you won't be able to do much of anything...just like EQ.

Very sad.

Re: Takes 20 people and 2 docs to do anything "new" or worth the time in AO now

Originally posted by BoredofAO
    I feel the same way about marital relations in the bedroom. Of course the doctors usually come into play about a week later.

50 people though, man that's just sick.
    Nanomage: The OTHER other white meat

Originally posted by Harpalyce
    Welcome to Everquest.

That's where we are now. About the time Kunark (Notum Wars) went live and things really went down the tubes.

Least EQ was fun and had high level content.

From the looks of things lately, I guess if I want to play I can't solo anymore and I'll be forced to team,,,,, I don't like being forced to do anything. I guess I'll just take my $12.95 per x 2 and find something else to do with it. If enough people leave, then there wont be any reason for employing as many people at FunCom. (believe me, it's not a lot of fun getting that termination notice due to reduction in staff, but don't worry, there will probably be enough players to keep 2 or 3 of you employed)

EQ fun? Hehe, it is to laugh...

EQ was fun...up until about three months after Kunark went live and we all found out what direction the game was headed in.

If your idea of fun and high level content were 40+ people raids and the attendant lag and linkdeaths, all to kill ONE mob...well, it was a blast. Whoopee!

Additionally, we all got some high level content we didn't bargain for: guild rivalries. Yes, MMRPGs DO tend to be zero sum environments. Only so many guilds can kill that uber-mob for his uber-loot...which, by the way, was necessary to have to continue playing in that new "high level content."

Yes, the acrimony, squabbles, exploiting, threats, training, etc. were a lot of fun. So much fun I could barely stand it, so I had to quit. Funfunfun.

Looks like lots of fun on the way here in the near future in AO. Guess that's why they're called Funcom...

Of course, if you just want to see your numbers go up leveling is easy. Who needs uber loot, anyway?

Unhappy

AMEN!

I "almost" logged in because I wanted to kill an hour on Saturday but guess what? I realized that I would have to SOLO and I also realized that teaming is 7 TIMES faster than soloing. So my hour of solo missioning (maybe 1-2 missions at 50%) would yield me about what I could attain in a team in 10 MINS of team play (averaged over the 2-3 team missions).

Took me 5 minutes to alter my decision to play Neocron for the hour instead. AC2 in the mail as well (being picked up at the Fed-Ex center in 10 mins). Choices..choices...

Jitta - RK2

EDIT: Not to mention that any "quest" that a level 176 would need to get involved with would ALSO require teaming = go play AC2/Neocron.

Originally posted by Harpalyce

If your idea of fun and high level content were 40+ people raids and the attendant lag and linkdeaths, all to kill ONE mob...well, it was a blast. Whoopee!

Actually, it is.

Originally posted by Mike "Kinkstaah" Bond
    I'd much rather they make some uber quests, but only allow a maximum of 6 people to attempt it. And tailor it around that.

Like, some uber tough mission, or something.
    50 people working together to get ONE ITEM is teh_sux.
    Ohhh yes... an QL 275 mission or something with increased chances of dropping some uber rare loot so we all dont need to crowd the same bloody 10 hour spawn mob along with fifty uber campers thats just trying to get stuff to their twinks....
    "Yesterday we bowed before kings and bent our necks to emperors, today we kneel only before truth"

A quest that involved six people who did something.

There is no thought put in to these uber encounters.

1-2 people do the thinking. 20-40 people sit and press q.

Imagine a quest that required six people to think and work all at the same time.

But why bother designing such a thing? Afterall, it is sooo easy to just build one mob with 900000000000000 hp and 2000 evades. Designing something that took some thought might cut in to the Unreal playing time at the Funcom office.

I know what you mean, the quest design team is very unimaginative.

another problem you didnt mention yet is that it takes 20 ma/soldier/enforcer and 2 docs to do anything, since all the classes who rely on offensive nanos and/or pets are screwed all over due to the insane innate resists of the new designed mobs and the (still) low AMS of pets.

Well, the problem is NOT that there is some mobs that takes 20 ppl to kill..

The problem is that there is no alternative...
    The problem is that there is NO way for a solo player or medium /small guild to get theyr hands on the uber loot..
    there should be quests, insanely hard, long and require not only killing of mobs, but thinking..
    and the mobs should be in a dungeon that spawns for that player/team only...

FC is killing this game..FAST........
    RETIRED:Cassondra "Hotsy" Magistrale, Proud General of OPEC
    And a gazillion other chars

Member of the Grumpy Old Crat Bunch
    Bureaucrats, Broken as intended
    Chilled:The crat community.. bitter but entirely supportive, kind of like coffee.
    P.S. i didn't proof read this, or check for spelling, I wouldn't want to Nerf my post by actually Fixing the problems.

This post is fucntioning "As Intended" that means i don't have to fix any problems with it. (Snipped from pooncrat).

There's 1 big problem about things that require thinking .... The Internet !

Once a Quest is solved a few times, it will be posted on a spoiler site and from then on no thinking is required since you just follow a walktrough.
    Alex "Cado" Portello - Atrox Enforcer
    Lakisha "Sheelai" Thompon - Solitus Doctor
    Al "Asdur" Orender - Solitus Martial Artist

I have no nose .. I peeked on Ani while she took a shower!

Originally posted by Cado
    There's 1 big problem about things that require thinking .... The Internet !

Once a Quest is solved a few times, it will be posted on a spoiler site and from then on no thinking is required since you just follow a walktrough.
    Yeah....that is a problem whenever static elements are introduced into the game. All it takes is someone to post instructions and there went the mystery....

This is why the introduction of dynamic elements should be forefront in FunCom's mind.

A mission for an item should always be unique to the player. Let's take the Alvin/Dodga pads mission. (I hate using the word quest...it has been tarnished). Find eight weird pieces, put them together, bring back to Alvin. Then tag 9 bots. Then kill all bots. After the first few people completed it and made the spoiler, this became a contest of who could ninja loot the parts the fastest. If the missions handed out by Alvin varied in the parts that you had to put together / bring back...and then varied in the parts where you had to kill certain robots, the quest might not be a no-brainer....

An uber unique mob should NEVER spawn in the same spot twice in a month at least and should NEVER be on some 18-hour timer...what's the fun in that? Make the timer 5 minutes, make the spawn locations RANDOM. And then introduce an item which would require high perception that allows the user to scan the zone to detect only if a unique mob is up....

And then to mention what is needed to bring one of these uber mobs down. The topic says it all there...and why is it that way anyway? Why are these mobs designed so that only three or four professions are actually efficient in combat against them? I know that the mobs have different strengths and weaknesses, but those strengths and weaknesses are way way out of proportion.

I guess it is useless to complain. The devs must have really loved EQ....to the point where their own creations emulate it....sad. Originality...creativity...innovation...you should require those traits from your design team FunCom. What you have now could easily be sold off as an EQ clone. The same couldn't be said many patches ago.
    .: Naraya :.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast