Thread: Still no notes on this 5 hour downtime patch?

Still no notes on this 5 hour downtime patch?

Will we get some notes as to what new and old bugs you will add 5 minutes before you upload the new patch to the server? 5 hours has to contain many bugs. I can't imagine 5 hours for the croud control thing (that will do nothing for the lag), seems a little long.

Re: Still no notes on this 5 hour downtime patch?

Originally posted by Unit99
    I can't imagine 5 hours for the croud control thing (that will do nothing for the lag)
    Silly, didn't you read Gaute's article? All the lag is cause of our slow computers not loading the textures. Can't possibly be slow/overloaded servers! Can't be!

Re: Re: Still no notes on this 5 hour downtime patch?

Originally posted by Ratty

Silly, didn't you read Gaute's article? All the lag is cause of our slow computers not loading the textures. Can't possibly be slow/overloaded servers! Can't be!
    I think it's a combination of FC needing to streamline their communications to the client AND some people needing to update/maintenance their machines.

I've got a AMD 1.3 ghz with 1.5 gigs of ram and a ASUS Geforce 4 card in my machine. When I enter an area with a bunch of people (exiting the whompa into Omni Ent, hitting areas of NLC) or open a door to a new large valume area in a dungeon (the newbie subway, camelot, ect), I get an immediate stutter effect and latency jumps. But after a few seconds, my machine will return to normal framerates. Usually around 30fps with the lowest I've seen (after the stutter effect has gone away) in the low 20s.

I've noticed a bit of improvement, it seems, when turning off all the combat spam. Especially in the dungeon areas where a bunch of people are beating up on a bunch of things...

Then again, I just had O&O Defrag check my drive that AO sits on and there are only 5223 fragmented files with the drive resting comfortably at 44.50% fragmentation. One of those fragmented files, of course, being the 468mb AO ResourceDatabase.dat with 76 fragment.

Noooo...that couldn't be affecting my system's performance one ounce
    History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave. - Edmund Morris

The first faults are theirs that commit them, the second theirs that permit them. - Unknown

Did you ever get the feeling that the world had an abundance of idiots? And that God had arranged for you to meet every single one of them before you died? - Kuroshio

I was mostly mocking the spin Gaute puts on it, blaming it all on the end users system.

I have 2ghz with geforce3, and the problem is when you're in large group of people that are attacking and doing stuff. If youre just running around in NLC or something, its not bad, but if you're in some outdoor area with 20 people all attacking some high level mob, things get sooo sluggish. And it has nothing to do with my computer loading textures, I dont care what Gaute says, there is a bottleneck on the server side.
    Bandwidth isnt an issue I have DSL with a 80ms ping to the servers.
    Load lag I can live with, its when I'm in a massive battle and cant calm adds because the server is so lagged it's not processing my commands.
    And I'm sure those on tower raids are seeing similar things, so the crowd control stuff goes into place.

Hmm, servers down for 5 minutes, no patch notes, launcher still says "servers are going to go down" like it hasn't happened yet.

This would be ok if it was some free service on the internet where it's someone doing it in their spare time and doing it out of the goodness of their heart.

Did they lay off THAT many people?

Looks like someone remembered to communicate to us (not in the forums yet). Page is updated.

http://www.anarchy-online.com/conten...oduction/live/

Things I dont see fixed:

1. Neutral team bug, neutrals can't play with omni/clan friends and do missions anymore unless there is at least one clan and one omni in team. This is a huge showstopper.
    2. Crat charms break the mobs half the time leaving them unresponsive to commands, and unattackable. Mostly just really annoying, can live with it.
    3. I won't list #3 cause it's an exploit, which I reported. I guess I can check to see if it's fixed when the server's back up.

Originally posted by Ratty
    I was mostly mocking the spin Gaute puts on it, blaming it all on the end users system.

I have 2ghz with geforce3, and the problem is when you're in large group of people that are attacking and doing stuff. If youre just running around in NLC or something, its not bad, but if you're in some outdoor area with 20 people all attacking some high level mob, things get sooo sluggish. And it has nothing to do with my computer loading textures, I dont care what Gaute says, there is a bottleneck on the server side.
    Bandwidth isnt an issue I have DSL with a 80ms ping to the servers.
    Load lag I can live with, its when I'm in a massive battle and cant calm adds because the server is so lagged it's not processing my commands.
    And I'm sure those on tower raids are seeing similar things, so the crowd control stuff goes into place.
    It surely has to do with low end computers on the client side. If 50 ppl just stand around, moving a bit and chatting, the clients dont have to be synchronous together, BUT if a battle appears and 20 ppl are involved in the fight, each client have to be synchronous with the other, participiating in this fight.

I.e. Player A (Highend PC) shoots at Player B (Lowend PC), but Player Bs PC is busy with loading all the textures around, which could take several seconds (Thats Hard Disc lag, not Connection lag), then Player Bs PC might be unable to respond in a normal time to the Server. Im not sure how the engine works, but I guess this leads to more delay on Highend Clients as necessary.

The problem are all the different textures for armor, breeds, guns, environment and additionally in combat the different animations and shooting effects. This all slowes a PC temporarily down, but much more on the lowend side, which makes Synchronization worse for the highend side.

I might be wrong in some details, but I hope you got the point?
    No need to PHEAR ME! anymore - Im gone

Lag

Well I run a 1.3 ghz amd athlon, and a geforce 4 mx 420 with 740 megs of ram, and ive never run into any lag, maybe a tad on a saturday or sunday afternoon in Omni1, But thats it. Iam not saying thats teh problem, but I dont have any lag issues. Also I have cable that runs at 30+ mbs.

Thjat said I woudl like to welcome myself to the community with my first post.

Any given client should never be able to slow down the world, that would just be stupid. Games like Quake learned this early on, because its extremely exploitable.
    I don't recall ever seeing any kind of lag if someone is going LD.
    I do not believe for a second that a client's lag can slow down all the clients around the person. I think you are just making stuff up at this point.

What about those that are in USA, Pac Rim, and SA. the
    normal ping is 400 for them and that is a green link.
    but the worse that I have seen is 15000 ping spike. never have I seen that before but the rest of the group
    just kept going. 40sec later I can't see their positions only to find that they went to the next level. however
    I do see that I have to defrag the drive that AO is on
    constantly. it is sitting on a RAID-0 partition with nothing
    else on it and it still needs to be defragged each week.
    hey kuroshio how well does O&O defrag. I want a defragger but Diskkeeper is too expensive.