Thread: Time to upgrade / Optimize

Time to upgrade / Optimize

Hurray for an awesome expansion. However the game is creeking and straining now. The achilies heel of this game has always been it's inability to handle too many people in 1 spot.

Time to stop making work arounds (moving whompas grid terms and bank terms) and fix the problem. I am not gonna tell you how to do it as you guys are the AO experts.

Just that it needs to be done. We cannot have a decent battle in this game with 50+ people without client problems, lag, crashing, and zone crashing.

Need to focus on this very big problem.
    Rolled
    Coathanger
    RHD Black Watch Regiment

Remember how fun the first week of NW was?

CC is teh devil!

BUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree

and....

*bump*
    Prepare for Battle!!!I... I see.... Aliens....
    Mrevil By Mr. Fli
    Mrevil My stuff
    Exxon
    And a few other alts...
    People dont kill peoples in Rubi-ka, Lag does!

I also agree.

Nothing like running into 50 omnis and getting 'server lost'
    Fix the problem. Somehow.
    Don't be lonely anymore.

Look at your post, now back at mine. Now back to your post, now back at mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine, but if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate comments it could look like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through posts, reading the posts your posts could look like. Back at mine, it's a reply saying something you want to hear. Look again, my reply is now diamonds. Anything is possible when you think before you post.

Time to UPGRADE!
    NOT time to further optimize!

Sorry FC. Your choice to use less-than top of the line network and server hardware, and reduce the bandwidth needed in order to cut costs has now (well for a while now) biten you in the behind.

Someone in FC has prolly called this "Our competitive edge". What you've really done is gimped your ability to support a large player base.

You're haveing your coders spen way way way too much time minimizing server CPU utalization and data packet size. They should be fixing code bugs (not tacking in workarounds that break next time you patch in additional workarounds) and working on mob/pet pathing (just to name two).

Players, you ever notice your data activity? For example, if you've got DSL, it's the little light that flashes when you send/receive data on your DSL 'modem'. It's sporatic and minimal when you play AO. Play any other on-line game. With most all of them, the activity is constant.

Time to increase client to server comunication. Time to increase bandwidth utalization. Time to increase the data traffic your network can handel. Time to increase the performance of your server hardware.

You have enjoyed the benifit of having almost no competition in the SciFi setting. That is changing. I would hate to see your player base suffer because you refuse to deliver the playability that your compatition has realized they must deliver.

AO is a good game. With more polishing it could be great.
    "Two things get a warrior through life: A staff and a laugh. If you lose either one, you're done for." -- Cwest

Originally posted by WildKard
    Time to UPGRADE!
    NOT time to further optimize!

Sorry FC. Your choice to use less-than top of the line network and server hardware, and reduce the bandwidth needed in order to cut costs has now (well for a while now) biten you in the behind.

Someone in FC has prolly called this "Our competitive edge". What you've really done is gimped your ability to support a large player base.

You're haveing your coders spen way way way too much time minimizing server CPU utalization and data packet size. They should be fixing code bugs (not tacking in workarounds that break next time you patch in additional workarounds) and working on mob/pet pathing (just to name two).

Players, you ever notice your data activity? For example, if you've got DSL, it's the little light that flashes when you send/receive data on your DSL 'modem'. It's sporatic and minimal when you play AO. Play any other on-line game. With most all of them, the activity is constant.

Time to increase client to server comunication. Time to increase bandwidth utalization. Time to increase the data traffic your network can handel. Time to increase the performance of your server hardware.

You have enjoyed the benifit of having almost no competition in the SciFi setting. That is changing. I would hate to see your player base suffer because you refuse to deliver the playability that your compatition has realized they must deliver.

AO is a good game. With more polishing it could be great.
    Well said.
    I agree fully. I do sincerely hope that FC also takes these words to their minds. They Do Need to do something and they need to do it now!

Regards.
    Mrevil By Mr. Fli
    Mrevil My stuff
    Exxon
    And a few other alts...

Cool

Yes!Improve the servers and bandwidth to gain more players,not wait until you think the numbers justify a begrudged increase.
    Its the fundamentals that make quality of life,not the glitz.(although a bit of sleaze never goes amiss!)

What are you guys ready to pay to finance the increase in bandwith?

I could go up to 30 dollars a month.

Originally posted by vorteks
    What are you guys ready to pay to finance the increase in bandwith?

I could go up to 30 dollars a month.
    They do have a large number of players, so $30 will most certainly Not be nessecary. But i could most willingly pay a few $´s more if they can increase their bandwidth.
    But then they Must ensure me that the lag/serversync will decrease MOST dramatically (as one sure knows that there will Allways be some kind of lag).

but surely i would never pay more than $15 for an online game on a monthly basis.

Regards.
    Mrevil By Mr. Fli
    Mrevil My stuff
    Exxon
    And a few other alts...

There are a few threads from a few years ago that shed some light on reason you aren't seeing seeing streaming datagram traffic.

Regardless as to whether we should see continuous data traffic or not, it's clear that FC has not upgraded their hardware since launch.

Since I started playing AO, I've gotten a new PC, increased rdram, and upgraded the gfx card a few months ago...I bet most of the players here have also upgraded...about time FC did the same
    Auri Sacra Fames!

Specialone Clan Fixer RK-2
    Spatialone Clan Bureaucrat RK-2

What are you talking about? Higher utilization of the available bandwith on *YOUR* side means that Funcom is writing faster networking code?

What planet were you born on?

The reason for the low amount of traffic is that FC writes efficient networking code. And for the umpteenth time, FC uses Cable & Wireless (do a trace to lh.d1.funcom.com) for their networking, which is pretty much one of the biggest and best serious ISPs in the world.
    Stabdude Opifex Shade, Atlantean (and my new MAIN!) - native of the Shadowlands
    Slapster - Retired
    Retriever - Retired

This is it

what?

So where is the lag coming from then?

Re: what?

Originally posted by svendor
    any bottleneck anywhere on the internet between you and funcom, and also between anyone you can see and funcom.

Welcome to the wonderfull world of the internet.

Oh, and to all of you who KNOW funcom is using substandard equipment, please post the specs, or atleast the type of equipment they are using, so we can help advise funcom on what to upgrade.

Hugs

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

Wink

Originally posted by svendor
    Hmm. Some say it can't be Funcom, and it can't be my P4 system and 20 ping, so I blame it on the Loch Ness Monster.

Reduce the lag Nessie!

My tone is a direct reflection of your attitude.

220 Wiseguy - Bureaucrat
    ... and a bevy of underequipped 220's

Account Created 16 July 2001