Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Testing crowd limiting

I have close to no lag or any problems with max grapic settings be it Camelot or any zone with massive pvp tower battle.

What FC do not want to admit is that you need >2.4 gig processor, >512-750 RAM and minimum GF 4 64 Meg card or equivalent to play it.

Another thing is that if you have this or better, most of the time time the stoneage servers cant handle the load of the inefficient code put to work....And hence will crash it seems for a good word..

P.s CZ, a word of feedback, I played to lvl 200, and pvped to Novice on a stoneage PC, then I bought a state of the art one, and then the game was magnificent compared to anything I had experienced before. But then I know what it feels like to play on anything less less, and I can tell you, its really unplayable for ppl with old pcs......
    So why dont you just state that to play this game with less than P4 2gig 512 meg ram and GF 4, forget it, you are fooked id its more than 6 players present in one place..?

Can we turn off that CC now btw, its purely not working at all btw :P
    Last edited by Hermy; Dec 8th, 2002 at 11:36:27.
    Hermy
    Shadelore
    Retired.

Yeah! No kidding! Funcom, especially given CZ's own words in this thread, should change the required and recommended system specs for AO. If your required specs means the game is almost unplayable with everything turned to minimun, then Funcom has a problem....don't you think?

I mean, c'mon. Let's be honest and at least update the required specs and list that the required specs are with all graphics and etc. at all minimums. As far as I can tell, the minimum requirements are too low to even call this game playable with everything at a minimum, especially with NW.

Maybe if Funcom was more honest and actually stated, like other up-and-coming MMOGs, that their game requires a minimum 1 gig processor and 512 ram, the true minimum and recommended specs, then maybe, just maybe they wouldn't get their forums loaded with so much *****ing from people who don't have medium to high-end systems.

After saying all that, Funcom should also state that patches will go live and still be in testing. Something like, this patch is a test which was introduced, on live, to 2 different playfields and will now be patched and tested on the entire server (we may remove it if it is completely fubar).

Give the players the truth or suffer the consequences of your game falling to the new MMOGs that are far more honest with their requirements, playability, code, and server instability!

Enough of this garbage about players not having a good enough computers if they don't have a 2 gig processor with 512 ram and a 64mb geforce4 card. Unless of course, they crank everything to minimum and still slug around, Ld, crash, etc, etc, etc...

Funcom PR.....a work in progress........PR-Beta.
    Last edited by Chopit; Dec 9th, 2002 at 08:26:18.

Originally posted by Chopit

Enough of this garbage about players not having a good enough computers if they don't have a 2 gig processor with 512 ram and a 64mb geforce4 card. Unless of course, they crank everything to minimum and still slug around, Ld, crash, etc, etc, etc...
    So what about those of us who have those systems, have turned down the settings, and still freeze up going into mass pvp?

Sorry, I've seen all the arguments and I cannot agree that its purely a graphics issue.

Something I have noticed about the situation is that a majority of the problem occurs during and just after the grace period. In cases where there are large numbers already present in the same suppression gas area (like around tara in Camelot), larger battles do not seem to slow down nearly as much as they do when people are crossing gas boundries.

Is there possibly some oddity about the way this transition moment is handled that could be creating this 'lag'? Even something as seemingly unconnected as the way the time to the end of grace period is displayed? Or the way the clock syncs between server and client?

Just a thought...

Jaesic
    171 NT (rk2)

Well CC doesn't work enough testing on live, figure out something to get it right and test it on test
    Fausto Biggfoo Clyburn

Are you some kind of robot? And if so what kind of powers do you have? Do you use them for Good? or for Awesome?

Where is the crowd?

A large group of omnis found the crowd control problems today, and had some interesting experiences. I hope this is the information you are looking for, although this test did not go well from the standpoint of trying to design an effective system.

The group did fairly well in anticipating the problems that would come up. Rather than try to group a large number of people, they broke up into groups much smaller than what should activate the control problem. There were groups of approximately 20 people attacking, with the groups spread out to avoid overlapping zones. By the information previously given, that should have prevented most problems from happening.

The initial portions went fairly well. The defenders had a very good arrangement of towers to maximize density, and it was fairly slow to take out each cluster. The first cluster went well, but as the second cluster was attacked, there were more defenders arriving. As there was no increase in the number of defenders, there should not have been any crowd control issues. However, by the time the second cluster was down, the group, while still at the same number of people, was having trouble moving forward due tothe crowd control. Not only were there no towers left in anyone's range, there were no clanners in range as well. Since there were no other groups overlapping, the only people who could have been in the other area were defenders, who could not be seen or attacked. Even before that hard barrier, most of the close range attackers (MA, etc) were having trouble engaging. And although they could not attack due to crowd control, the defenders had very little difficulty engaging them.

So, the basic issue that came up were a relative problem with close range attacks, as crowd control prevented the attackers from closing; and an absolute barrier that will stop attackers from advancing. So, unless crowd control was supposed to do this, it has failed to do what it has intended -- for people to actually fight in PvP.

And just to ask, and get it on the record, wouldn't this testing have been better served in a more controlled environment, perhaps a beta-test? Most companies use volunteer testers to look at issues like this, in more controlled settings, so they can be fixed prior to release, as not to pass obvious problems onto the paying customers.

good idea... oops sorry it is ironic...
    Vaultcitizen ADV 190. Teh pistol gimpness
    Catspawgirl NT 171. Pnh/Ior Dispenser
    Mareva Fix 167. GSF, Hot and fix grid Dispenser
    Canigou MP 135. CI Dispenser
    Pipboy2001 MA 80ish in gamboling doing /fblock.

Rubi-Ka 1

allways /tell Vaultcitizen

CC is really not working. In an attack today it kept the offense from ever really even reaching the center of the base. 3 times I was teleported to some spot 1km north of the base, clanners were here too, some tried to gank me on 2 of the occasions, it's great that you are still in disgrace after these teleports, so that a ganker can just stand there picking their targets.

Hmm, maybe I should stand at the evac points next time and not bother attacking the towers, do my part for CC and all

Anyway CC in it's current state destroys the intent of land control, it makes strategy, numbers, and flanking tactics virtually meaningless.

Just turn it off now till you have a better solution.

Angry CC BAH !!

Correct me if im wrong, but i believe im paying to play this ENTIRE game, not just certain zones where there aren't a certain amount of ppl. If i want to show up for a tower raid or help defend someone else's or just have fun pvp'n i should be able to do it NO MATTER WHAT. Thats what im paying for !! Im not paying to get a message saying sorry there are already people here doing something that you would like to participate in but the numbers dont add up so you shall be moved somewhere else.This is NOT a feature i am willing to pay for.
    I went to PW today to help take down a lvl 250 omni base.It took me 20min of fighting through the "too many ppl in area" message to get to the tower to help heal the clanners attacking the tower. When we (to our dismay) discovered that we couldn't destroy the tower ,even with the full amount of ppl near the tower allowed by this lame Crowd Control system, without having more damage dealers close to the tower instead of healers.So i then tried to leave the tower area only to be hit with " too many ppl in area" making it impossible for me to leave the area without gridding /terminating or spending another 20 min. trying to fight the damn Crowd Control crap.
    So in conclusion this system sucks.Whats the point of having pvp zone's for land control that only a handful of ppl can participate in.Why not just let the guild leaders slug it out in an arena and let whoever wins have control of the land in dispute.If your gonna turn me into a spectator at least that way i wouldnt have to spend the time flying to the zone and getting warped to who knows where!! For that matter im surprized you just dont charge ppl to participate in events. Lets see we can handle 80 ppl in the camelot dungeon we should sell 80 tickets first come first serve and once there gone no one else can get in. At least that way im sure to get in on the action. If you implement this Crowd Control garbage then my monthly fee doesnt neccessarily mean i get to do anything but missions and thats not what im paying for.

I agree.

Its a very poorly implemented solution. (not that I have any better solution )

Unless uber ql250 bases and uber mobs are toned down so that they are possible under the cap.

No one likes CC. It's truely a case of where the cure is worse than the sickness.

Give people an item that reduces graphics lag (battle goggels that reduce everything to wireframe) or some other such thing. Automatically reduce graphics settings as system lag increases. Optimize code. ANYTHING but CC. It's a bad idea.

Nothing breaks the flow of the game more than running into an invisible wall or being warped out in the middle of nowhere because the server thinks there are too many of you.
    Rolled
    Coathanger
    RHD Black Watch Regiment

Remember how fun the first week of NW was?

CC is teh devil!

Thumbs down

Originally posted by Ityn
    CC is really not working. In an attack today it kept the offense from ever really even reaching the center of the base. 3 times I was teleported to some spot 1km north of the base, clanners were here too, some tried to gank me on 2 of the occasions, it's great that you are still in disgrace after these teleports, so that a ganker can just stand there picking their targets.

Hmm, maybe I should stand at the evac points next time and not bother attacking the towers, do my part for CC and all

Anyway CC in it's current state destroys the intent of land control, it makes strategy, numbers, and flanking tactics virtually meaningless.

Just turn it off now till you have a better solution.
    This is a great post, in case you skimmed over it.

It happens a lot. I could get crowd-control warped to a 'safe spot' miles away from the battle and I would see a few people already there. Since I see the 1 minute timer, I know I'm still vulnerable to attack, so I attack them before they attack me. Killed a few, but only to save my ass.

I can see where those "safe spots" can quickly turn into grieving points.

I literally got warped to the same safe spot 5 times in 10 minutes at a tower battle. I would be much better off camping the safe spot and killing the unsuspecting Omni who get wisked away.

It would certainly save myself a lot of frustration

the best CC system would work like this:

Keep a list of all the players inside the landcontrolled area, but lock players outside if the land is full. If anyone inside the area dies or going out of the land will players standing outside be allowed to enter.

This will prevent all that annoying warping, but if players is unactive for 5 minutes will they be warped (if the tower is under attack)

Originally posted by Krabbus
    the best CC system would work like this:

Keep a list of all the players inside the landcontrolled area, but lock players outside if the land is full. If anyone inside the area dies or going out of the land will players standing outside be allowed to enter.

This will prevent all that annoying warping, but if players is unactive for 5 minutes will they be warped (if the tower is under attack)
    Good intentions, but its way way too simple to be effective. The biggest problem with crowd control comes down to the simple fact that mass battles are not simple. There is no way to write a few rules down and code them that meets the conditions of every battle.

You have to take into account:

Size of offensive and defensive forces. (How fair would it be to hve one side manage to organize a war party of 250 people through charisma and bribes only to get to the battlefield and be able to say "first three squads forward, everyone else, break out a lunch"

Makeup of forces: who is more important... damage dealers, medics, pet people? There's no single absolute. Maybe you got a team put together thats going to make the difference in an out of balance battle... an example from recently, 5 NTs buffed to be using Kel's and a doctor to keep them alive. You hit crowd control and 2 of the 6 members gets warped away (assuming you don't lose the whole team)... which two are the least hurtful to the battle as a whole? Odds are, no matter how you set up the priorities, not letting the players choose who goes in is going to disrupt any effort at prebattle strategy... which means battles are raw chaos.

But more importantly, effectiveness of the system outweighs these two and all the other little factors that change how the rules need to work every time... Crowd control was designed to reduce lag from large scale battles... it doesn't do it... and it doesn't attempt to address the reasons why the lag is created in the first place. There's this constant battle back and forth between FC and the players about where the problem is located. If its really the home PC, then some formal declaration stating what specific settings we should expect to use for mass PvP should be posted from FC. Otherwise, something needs to be done to fix the problem.

Like many other things about this game... NW has the potential to be a lot of fun (and it is, but it could be much more so). All we need is for the people responsible for following up on that potential to do so.

Sorry guys I'm locking this thread for now, I'd like to get a new thread with some fresh feedback. I feel we made an important change today to the way crowd control is handled and I'd like to focus on feedback about that rather than feedback about how it was
    A Genuine Lucien - Accept No Substitutes

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345