Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Testing crowd limiting

Or just start dropping the gas in the tiles around the edges of the fight as the crowd limit for those tiles gets reached?
    Taren "Jynne" Suitt, Level 216/16 Eternalist
    Knight of Unity of the Rose - Check out our AO Tools!
    The Doctor Guide to: Notum Wars Martial Arts Perks! Nano Controller Units
    The General Guide to: Auto-Combat General Perks

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

I don't like the way it works now. How I like to see it work is:

1. The Defenders decide the PvP range for the attackers that can get into the Land Control in first place. If the defenders is from level 65-85 will only attackers from 57-95 be allowed to enter the Land Controlled area. If there is no defenders around there will the PvP range be calculated out from the level of the tower. But if there is a level 200 Doc (as defender) by the QL75 Tower, will the range be from 65-200 so high levels may be able to take down that doc healing the lower levels.

2. The area should have a table over who got first into the zone, the ones that got first in should be the last one be kicked out, unless they are inactive. A rooted person is not inactive.

3. If you die or leave the Land Controlled area will you be removed from the table and others that is trying to get in will be able to do that.

The essential thing here is the PvP limit, as I mentioned in point 1. Please consider this FC

Waffen, what graphics setting do you run with? High? Low? What was your framerate?

If you had low framerate, it's most likely your computer. If you have high framerate, but it still gets choppy and laggy, it's most likely a server issue.

I was outside Tir myself yesterday, with a lowed end computer, and more people than in most battles, and did fine. And our servers can take more than 50 people before choking.

My guess is that your computer might get so busy loading gfx that it doesn't process messages from the servers, creating something which many percieve as server lag (but which is not). That happened to me a lot before I decided to go for functionality instead of looks, and turned most gfx down to minimum.

{Edit: Added info.}
    Last edited by Cz; Dec 5th, 2002 at 11:33:15.

Question

Would it be possible for the client to automatically reduce graphics settings in a dynamic fashion based on load? The player could then set their 'best' settings and if things start to get busy, the client would reduce theose, and set them back once the load had passed.
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

Originally posted by Krabbus
    The Defenders decide the PvP range for the attackers that can get into the Land Control in first place. If the defenders is from level 65-85 will only attackers from 57-95 be allowed to enter the Land Controlled area. If there is no defenders around there will the PvP range be calculated out from the level of the tower. But if there is a level 200 Doc (as defender) by the QL75 Tower, will the range be from 65-200 so high levels may be able to take down that doc healing the lower levels.
    Cz, please consider this - I have seen to many times that high level docs heals their lowerlevels to attack a QL75 Tower. How on earth can lowlevel defenders deal with this?

Re: .

Originally posted by Redman
    well that all sounds great CZ exept it ISNT TRUE!!!!! its NOT just on RK1 and its NOT only in those play fields,,, and it SUCKS btw
    We on RK2 had it working very well in belia forest ,,, defenders just put enough ppl in thier base to make us getting kicked out and we were like hmmmmm can FC really be that stupid??? geee bad question
    Sounds like some data has not been cleared, or restored in the patch. If so, it runs with a cap of 80 and a delta of 60, effective kicking all attackers, and possibly some defenders. This because somebody got misinformed about how the numbers worked.

I'll make sure it gets checked, turned off if needed, and that we get routines to ensure this can't happen. Maybe we should even limit the settings by code.

Darkbane, I doubt it, but I'll bring it up. I think there are chat commands to change some of the setting though, so you can macro and/or script it, and put it on the hotkey bar.

Krabbus, discussing that in this thread, I believe.

Originally posted by Cz
    Waffen, what graphics setting do you run with? High? Low? What was your framerate?

If you had low framerate, it's most likely your computer. If you have high framerate, but it still gets choppy and laggy, it's most likely a server issue.

I was outside Tir myself yesterday, with a lowed end computer, and more people than in most battles, and did fine. And our servers can take more than 50 people before choking.

My guess is that your computer might get so busy loading gfx that it doesn't process messages from the servers, creating something which many percieve as server lag (but which is not). That happened to me a lot before I decided to go for functionality instead of looks, and turned most gfx down to minimum.

{Edit: Added info.}
    Didn't measure framerate. I have graphics set at medium, 16bit, world view 50, character view 50, ground quality 115, ground full quality radius 5, non-compressed, AND I'm playing at only 800x600 which is a shame with my 19" Trinitron. My ping is usually between 20 and 51.

No offense, but my system doesn't choke with UT2003 in all its full glory. *cough*

I mean come on, I crashed yesterday just trying to zone into the blue superior shop with the "Server lost" message coming up, and I still get the message in my sig on a regular basis. Not to mention the room warping I get since the most recent patch.

Can't all be on my end.

My tone is a direct reflection of your attitude.

220 Wiseguy - Bureaucrat
    ... and a bevy of underequipped 220's

Account Created 16 July 2001

Originally posted by Darkbane
    Would it be possible for the client to automatically reduce graphics settings in a dynamic fashion based on load? The player could then set their 'best' settings and if things start to get busy, the client would reduce theose, and set them back once the load had passed.
    It is actually possible to change visual settings automatically when entering particular play fields using the current in-game Tip system's events. However, it doesn't work perfectly because FC never really finished the code for the Tip system. Maybe someday
    Clan fixer, Fourth Title

Director of Information
    Analog Myth

Arrow

Originally posted by Waffen
    No offense, but my system doesn't choke with UT2003 in all its full glory. *cough*
    Which isn't saying anything as AO and UT2003 are rather different games. I've no doubt AO's engine can be improved. Maybe once Lineage 2 appears, then we can do a comparison (since that is a MMORPG using the UT engine at its core - but even then, its a heavily modified UT engine...)

I've not seen the server lost, but I have seen an increase in out and out crashes, mostly on zoning, since 14.7

And the room-warping is rather reminiscent of the same effect in a game such as UT2003 when the clients idea of position and the server's idea get out of sync. Previously, it would seem that AO made little attempt to reync the two, now it looks like the client is being brought back in sync with the server (as the server is authoritive after all). Annoying, but possibly better than what we had before with invisible mobs and team-mates etc
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

I think it does make a valid comparison, as the requirements to run UT2003 at high res, bitrate and screen size blow AO's out of the water, and is extremely taxing on a system. If UT runs without a hitch, there shouldn't be a problem here.

As for any client-server sync issues, this Wednesday's patch just made it worse. Warping makes it a royal pain in the butt trying to blitz missions as I'll get warped two rooms back with my MA and 900 something runspeed (1 room back if with one of my lowbies and lower runspeed) and find myself up against a wall with all the mobs nearly on top of me then. I have also completely cleared out missions and had this warping just heading back to the entrance.

As for the server crashes, they really started on full-force with 14.6, and aren't any better for me now. 14.5 was fine, but now...

My tone is a direct reflection of your attitude.

220 Wiseguy - Bureaucrat
    ... and a bevy of underequipped 220's

Account Created 16 July 2001

we really need crowdlimit, a small guild can't be attacked by 30+

Crowd control should be based on level range of tower. I.E. those in the pvp range of the tower receive better position on the warp list.

VERY IMPORTANT: don't go with the 3 designated 'warp to' areas per playfield. Just warp people several tiles away, to the nearest open one. This way they can immediately rejoin fight. (They wouldn't be able to enter the area they were just warped from, since its full, but they can engage all the other people who were warped out or blocked off from entering that particular set of 9 tiles.) So battles larger than 40 by 40 could easily occur, but poeple would just have to spread out a bit more. When I ran into the 'area full' crowd control wall, I just turned back and engaged some opponents who were a bit further away. That was totally fine. If I had gotten in, then was warped far from fight, I would've been quite annoyed!

I have to agree with a sentiment expressed earlier:

MMORPG and "crowd-limiting" are conceptually incongruous...

I'll try running my machine at lower settings - but perhaps you could look into Darkbane's suggestions, or allow the client gui to change settings w/o having to relog. I use a custom setting, but it's pretty much all bells+whistles - if I could just pull some sliders back when necessary - can I do that already? I'll check when I get home

as for limiting for guilds: this is ANARCHY not the PTA
    Auri Sacra Fames!

Specialone Clan Fixer RK-2
    Spatialone Clan Bureaucrat RK-2

Crowd Limiting is the stupidest concept ever created in an MMORPG. The fact remains that every single player on Rubi-Ka PAYS for thier subscription. They PAY to go on raids with their guildmates. And nothing is more frustrating then to be told either a) You cant come because you are already at the max number of people who will be allowed in anyway (player side knowldege of how the system work) or b) called into help only to cause certain essential people to be warped out. It's already hard enough to get certain professions to come to big raids.

It hasn't happened to me yet, and I don't threaten things like this. However, I have played this game for over a year. If I am ever warped out of a place because of crowd limiting, I *will* cancel my account. I may only be one person, but I don't threaten that every single day like some people. But dammit, I am a paying customer. I am not paying people to RUIN a large gathering of people to cator to a small few people.

Funcom continually feels the need to cator to a select few people in this game.

Annoying system. now we not only get the lag - we also get warped away from the battlefield. but not enough, it even warps you to the most bogus location that can be choosen.

Regards,
    Jannerik

It's miserable, you can't get in to defend smaller orgs from one huge org attacking.

All it's done is push AO to massive orgs and shuts smaller ones down further =(

Since it's org based not side based everyone gets screwed.

Being in EFP then ending up in Greater Omni Forest just sucks.
    The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live! - Unknown

"I've always wanted to be somebody, but I see now I should have been more specific." - L. Tomlin

Vyker - 182 Fixer
    ** Card Carrying Union Member (team)

Re: Re: .

Originally posted by Cz

Sounds like some data has not been cleared, or restored in the patch. If so, it runs with a cap of 80 and a delta of 60, effective kicking all attackers, and possibly some defenders.
    Hiya Cz , as you can see from another thread started by Skymarshall , i think your Values are off . The exact oppisite happened in EFP and all defenders were kicked from the area yet whne omni attacked clan , no attackers could get in .Now if i take what they say to be true then the Devs might wanna take a look at the coding for the Clan value , it might have an extra zero inside of it making the clan side value greater . Either way though The CC isnt working all that well as it is. If its a goof On the codeing then it might be salvagable , if its not a misplaced value then your CC is total F.U.B.A.R.

I think it does make a valid comparison, as the requirements to run UT2003 at high res, bitrate and screen size blow AO's out of the water, and is extremely taxing on a system. If UT runs without a hitch, there shouldn't be a problem here.

As for any client-server sync issues, this Wednesday's patch just made it worse. Warping makes it a royal pain in the butt trying to blitz missions as I'll get warped two rooms back with my MA and 900 something runspeed (1 room back if with one of my lowbies and lower runspeed) and find myself up against a wall with all the mobs nearly on top of me then. I have also completely cleared out missions and had this warping just heading back to the entrance.

As for the server crashes, they really started on full-force with 14.6, and aren't any better for me now. 14.5 was fine, but now...

well, UT2k3 team knew how to make the game running and running without slowly killing the machine from the moment you start the program.... yes, from the moment u accept the EULA, the true AO starts for ur machine.... as some guy once posted; some things are being loaded 4-5 times.... and it is not removed from ur machine memory before u relog... relog is the only way to remove all the stuff u ever looked at... almost every shot, heal, drain, buff, sky, building etc. is still in ur memory when ur sit down a type /camp... a way of seing when ur machine is about to hit the fan, is to have some kind off memory manager.... when AO gets above ½GB currently used memory, u need to relog... then u have 200MB+ worth of **** u dont need there, in ur memory....

Then clearly you do not understand the engines and what they are doing. UT can pretty much load all required models and textures and other geometry for a level at the start. AO can't do that. That's a pretty big difference right there.

Not that I'm saying AO's engine couldn't be improved, cause, well, we all know it has its problems, and the ability to stream content whilst maintaining a respectable frame rate is one of them. And 14.7 does seem to have improved some areas and made others worse.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast