Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should you upgrade your system?

Should you upgrade your system?

I'm sure those around at launch can identify with this.

Remember taking your first few steps, and how it would take a minute to hour to get from point A to point B?

Most, if not all, of us are still running on the same system and same connection speeds as we were at launch. Notice how much faster you can move around now?

If you're moving around better today then you were at launch, and you've made no changes to your system, how can your system be the problem?

Something to think about before you start spending money into system upgrades, and faster connection speeds, to reduce lag and server crashes.

I upgraded my system heavilly since i started, much much better now.
    Gatorojo - Proud member of Apocalypse

Power to the Atrox!

The upgrade I did that had the biggest impact on gameplay was adding RAM. At launch I had 256 MB. I now have 1 GB.

This helps a LOT. But I still have sync errors, texture loading pauses, uber long zoning times etc.

The "lag" that is network related cannot be fixed at the client side, but quite a bit of the HD trashing can be eliminated.
    Seid. Clan Nano Technician, Atlantean
    Proud member of Opposing Force ( Website )
    Seid's Hideout : Home of the Friends List Tool
    I would like to see a mail system in AO, for letters, money and goods, and with mail order !

If it helps any, I found that a better hard drive and a lot of RAM is far better than a video card/CPU upgarde (unless there's some incredibly decifient parts, like a 400MHz PII or a Voodoo2 or something like that). I prefer my system over many other systems I've tried simply because I have 768MBs of RAM and a 15k RPM SCSI hard drive (the now "old" Seagate Cheetah x15-36lp, in case anyone's interested). Zone loading times for me is incredible compared to other systems. Other systems I've tried have had far superior vid cards (DX8/9 gen vid cards vs. my GF2) and CPU's (AthlonXP 1.4GHz vs. a 1.8GHz AXP and 2GHz P4) but had mediocre amounts of RAM (usually 256 or 512MB) and 7.2k RPM IDE hard drives, yet my setup made for much more relaxing gameplay simply because of the constant RAM and hard drive workout, especially now with mass PvP.

As Cemetary said, AO's program efficiency is constantly improving so you may not need an upgrade at all soon, but if you have 256MB of RAM or a 5400 RPM IDE drive... I'd upgarde anyway.

The server side lag will always be a part of these kinds of games im afriad. FC cannot do anything about it. Sucks to be us though. They CAN improve it though. I have dissected and looked at their packets. Very sloppy.
    Nitsobar - lvl 219/13 Doc - Equipment - Perks - History
    MrBruce - lvl 204/6 MA - Equipment - Perks - History
    MsHackalot - lvl 123/9 Twink Fixer - Equipment - Perks - History

Veterans of Synergy Factor

Click to email me

Heh heh heh, Neuro - I agree w/you entirely but what you didn't mention is a key point here: SCSI drives and controllers range in price from surprisingly expensive to wow-I-can-buy-a-whole-new-computer-for-that-much expensive.

Oh, another thing about harddrives - the larger on-drive RAM buffer, the better. There are 10k rpm 8MB buffered IDE drives out there that are arguably getting pretty close to SCSI data throughput speeds.

Yeah, I know they aren't as reliable yet; but, for the average gamer, the price difference will make getting SCSI the stuff of dreams only.

And, for all that dough, the harddrives are STILL the primary speed bottleneck of any system.

RAM is the chit, though, especially if you run RAM-sucking Windohs 2k or XP.

Also, another thing that helps quite a bit is to tweak winblows to either not use virtual memory or only use it when there's no more RAM left. The first is easy to do but can make the system unstable sometimes, (since there are a few things that winhoes really REALLY wants to put in virtual mem). The second is easily accomplished using one of the system tweak utilities on the web.

Now, getting back to Cemetary's comments...

I was there at launch and, yes, I heartily agree that the game runs much better on FC's end than it used to and, baring the occassional hicup w/a new patch, it continues to get better.

I'm running the same setup since launch.

But, as far as upgrading - I gotta do it... 'tis my hobby - when I can afford it.

I started on:
    PII 500 OC'd to 560
    256Mb PC100
    GF 2 GTS
    15Gb ATA 66
    Win ME

Now have:
    PIII 750 OC'd to 840
    512Mb PC133
    GF 2 GTS
    45Gb ATA 100
    Win2kPro

Adding Ram & changing to Win2k were the biggest factors in gaining speed & stability IMO.

I hope to go to Athlon XP or P4 soon. Maybe even get a GF 4/4600 someday.
    O b i t u s Atrox Clan Enforcer My trade skill? Smackin' stuff till it cries! Obi's Rig
    Unit Memer of S t o r m

Never Forget

Well, I was implying more of an upgrade to 7200RPM IDE drives from the beyond-budget 5400RPM IDE drives... but if someone wants to switch to SCSI, I won't stop them.

I haven't heard of any 10K IDE drives from any major manufacturer released or being developed. The 7200RMP 8MB cache drives are alright though. No SCSI, but a step above previous IDE drives.

Originally posted by Starr
    Heh heh heh, Neuro - I agree w/you entirely but what you didn't mention is a key point here: SCSI drives and controllers range in price from surprisingly expensive to wow-I-can-buy-a-whole-new-computer-for-that-much expensive.

Oh, another thing about harddrives - the larger on-drive RAM buffer, the better. There are 10k rpm 8MB buffered IDE drives out there that are arguably getting pretty close to SCSI data throughput speeds.

Yeah, I know they aren't as reliable yet; but, for the average gamer, the price difference will make getting SCSI the stuff of dreams only.

And, for all that dough, the harddrives are STILL the primary speed bottleneck of any system.

RAM is the chit, though, especially if you run RAM-sucking Windohs 2k or XP.

Also, another thing that helps quite a bit is to tweak winblows to either not use virtual memory or only use it when there's no more RAM left. The first is easy to do but can make the system unstable sometimes, (since there are a few things that winhoes really REALLY wants to put in virtual mem). The second is easily accomplished using one of the system tweak utilities on the web.

Now, getting back to Cemetary's comments...

I was there at launch and, yes, I heartily agree that the game runs much better on FC's end than it used to and, baring the occassional hicup w/a new patch, it continues to get better.

I'm running the same setup since launch.

But, as far as upgrading - I gotta do it... 'tis my hobby - when I can afford it.

Talking

http://photos.georgiairon.com/nurgle/comp_side.jpg

Athlon 1.2 GHZ T-Bird
    512 Megs RAM
    ABIT KT7a Mobo ( ATA 100 controller )
    60 gig IBM 7200 RPM DeskStar Drive ( ATA 100 compliant )
    Gigabyte GeForce 2 GTS 64 MB DDR Vid Card

(need to upgrade to a new mobo soon)

The only time I have lag is due to a large number of players OR a network issue (most cases not my end).

There also seems to be an issue with certain areas of AO that I know will slow down. The two main ones:

1. Gathering spot for groups ( whompas, mission booths, etc. )
    2. Any area where store entrances are next to each other
    Last edited by Viray; Dec 10th, 2002 at 21:22:22.
    Graduate of the Elite Academy

Viray's Yalm Cleaning Services

Viray's Taxi Co.

The moral highground was levelled the very day the first player landed in a backyard, saw a cute leet and said "I wonder what it drops?"

- Savoy

my comp is exactly the same as when i started, and lately the game has become almost unplayable. so the game, for me, is becoming better, cemgate, it's becoming worse.

i so wanna hate this game so i don't have to spend my precious few monies on an upgrade, but it seems i will have to, before the game becomes fully unplayable. damn you fc, for making an addictive game! wish game companies would stop doing that, it's costing me too much.
    Oryl - 143 Trox MA... Troxxoration(™) Get-up.

XP1800
    768MB DDR 2100
    80gb 8mb cache 7200 rpm HDD
    GF3 (Asus v8200)

1280x1024, windowed, with 2x FSAA. Playable, and very very good looking.

215/15 | Lagerlad Atrox Adventurer | eqp | Mostly indestructible
    214/13 | Xpie Atrox Meta-physicist | eqp | Supernova!
    Member of Ragnarok

Wink

Heh. I can run AO windowed at 1280x960 on my primary monitor, and still have my secondary 1024x768 monitor open with the forums, or IRC, or anything really, and not see much slowdown.

Gunned down the young. Now old, crotchety, and back.

My home computer has been upgraded a couple of times since the launch. RAM has been doubled two times, processor has been changed 2 times as well and graphics card I had in the beginning I can't even imagine still using.

I bet most of the people have upgraded their systems along the road unless they had some super computer to begin with and even then what was very good back then is most likely very bad now.

Since launch Funcom has made alot of tweaks which helped AO run alot smoother. Funcom can make alot more changes which could save everyone, thinking of upgrades, money.

goremonger, good point about receint changes.

Since Funcom's synch fixes (health bars, damage recieved and recieved xp) other synch issues have occured (black doors, looping and rubber-banding). But again, let's not be so quick to blame your computer and rush out to upgrade. Give Funcom time to fix the problems instead.

Reading these posts, and discussing with persons face to face, I'm more inclined to believe RAM is a needed upgrade. Also, Funcom should change the 'minimum' RAM requirements from 128 MB to 256 MB, and 'recommended' RAM requirements from 256 MB to 512 MB.
    Last edited by Cemetarygate; Dec 18th, 2002 at 02:34:50.

Originally posted by Kiryat-Dharin
    Heh. I can run AO windowed at 1280x960 on my primary monitor, and still have my secondary 1024x768 monitor open with the forums, or IRC, or anything really, and not see much slowdown.

Kiryat, stop prending, we all know you run this game on a Commodore Vic 20

Hugs

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

Originally posted by lilnymph

Kiryat, stop pretending, we all know you run this game on a Commodore Vic 20

Hugs

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

now quoting yourself is just blatant post count padding lil

If you REALLY want ao to fly...

Get a motherboard that supports 2gb of RAM. Set 1gb to a ram drive and install AO to it. I suppose it could be done with 1.5gb ram as well...

Make a copy and keep it on your normal hard drive. If you ever crash or reboot, you'll have to redo the whole deal. Just ghost it, and transfer it over.

You can find tips on how to do this on various hardware helper sites.

You'll blow away any SCSI based system for less cost.

John

Originally posted by JohnMclain
    If you REALLY want ao to fly...

Get a motherboard that supports 2gb of RAM. Set 1gb to a ram drive and install AO to it. I suppose it could be done with 1.5gb ram as well...

Make a copy and keep it on your normal hard drive. If you ever crash or reboot, you'll have to redo the whole deal. Just ghost it, and transfer it over.

You can find tips on how to do this on various hardware helper sites.

You'll blow away any SCSI based system for less cost.

John
    ...or you could just turn off virutal memory and it's still about as fast. It still has to read new textures from the hard drive, but, it's still a lot faster, being that AO likes to keep about 300 megs of itself in virtual memory at all times, heh.

~Chris

Nahhh... It won't be about as fast because during zone loads and entering areas with lots of players the hard drive will still need hit and that is the bottleneck.

However, if you're already storing the entire texture database in ram...

John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast