Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: stuff found why rolling ??

Originally posted by Sanskrit

Jeez, can do without the "doctor/god complex" here... you TELL your group? What an egregious load. You TELL your group? The last thing I am going to put up with at my level is having any teammate TELL me anything or dictate any kinds of terms.

No competent players are going to put up with this kind of delay, and I couldn't type "/ignore" fast enough if a player left a team over something as trivial as someone's refusing to roll for a piece of loot. The only places to conduct a roll, if there has to be one at all, are in the boss room after mission completion or in the grid after blitzing the boss. LOL "STOP KILLING, TEAM!, Billy and Johnny need to roll for this widget." ROFLMAO

BAHAHAHAHA, LOL, we are playing a relatively simple game here, not flying a plane. You are talking about a series of a few mouse clicks on buttons, or even simply depressing hot keys.

1) I tell my teams up front how I like to play, yes I TELL THEM how I play, if they dont agree we dont even go to the mish, I just leave as I want to play the way I like to. I dont tell the team what to do, I tell them how I play. If they agree and dont roll then I leave... called breech of contract.

2) you obviously do NOT play a doc, or if you do you are a crappy one. Yes it is simple, that does not mean that there is a lot to do in a short time if youw want to

a) keep your team at full health (should be a doc's goal in life)
    b) do as much damage as possible (just a carry over from my enforcer main

3) when you get in game, please type /ignore Yazule
    then type /ignore Dnastyone

thanks!

4) "no compitent player is going to play this way" is such a stupid thing to say (you are lucky I dont call many people stupid). What that says is "no POWERGAMER is going to play this way". Guess what bud, the closer I get to 200 the LESS FUN this game really is. When you have done 93274984759374 BS missions come back here and tell me how much fun blazing through missions is. I play for fun, and cool loot IS part of the fun. You play your game and I will play mine (see #3 again please in case you missed it)

honestly I dont care if the team wants to loot or not, but if they do then we are going to devide chest/boss loot FAIRLY (meaning everyone that wants something has a fair chance). I tell my teams (YES I TELL THEM) "do you want to go for exp or loot, your choice". Then a majority rules.

kk, hope to never hear from you in game

*final edit* my post count dont mean squat to me fyi, but when I log into the game and have many people complimenting me on what I have to say here I do feel pretty good. I do my damndest not to contridict myself, and to put my honest opinions on the board, you flame away with no just cause because you "percieve" me some way. I give what I get, that is my board philosophy.

You assumed I wait til there is uber loot and then say "we will roll or I am gone"... well you assumed, now look at the first three letters of that word (assumed) and you will see what it made you.

/edit
    Last edited by Yazule; Dec 6th, 2002 at 05:09:10.
    I am Dnastyone Official Broom pusher for The Professionals
    Painmage my newest funnest guy
    PHEAR ME RK1 Yazule IMMMM BACK

I would have to say that this is an typicall example of how an flame should not look like. You need to think things through and calm down before you try to write an flame... Im sorry but I would rate this flame with an 1. Aggression is to high, grammar and cursing isnt to well planned... Maybe he has an point somewhere in there but I dont even want to find it. - Centurion3

ROFLOL

I think alot of need you to relax.

The way it generally works in 150+ teams, is that IF AND ONLY IF a certain player has the ability to loot chests without grossly interfering with the pace of the team, then:
    1. Any loot that is not contested that looter (ninja) gets to keep
    2. Professions have the priority for their own equipment
    3. If only one person asks for something, it is given
    4. If more than one person want something it is rolled for. In the case of a VERY rare item that all 6 people want, some groups decide to sell the item in exchange and split the cash.

I myself try and loot as much as possible without interfering with the team speed. A good rule of thumb is to position yourself beside the chest as soon as you run into the room, and unlock the chest when the last mob in the room has 5-15% HP left. That way the chest will only open when the mob has just died. This guarantees that if a rat does show up, it will not stack on the other mobs, and you have time to get the stuff while moving out of the room. With some practice, it is possible to loot all chests and not fall behind at all.

I actually find it pretty expensive on my Doc. Maybe it is the way i play but i like to keep my nano pool maxed at all times, as i never know what is around the corner. Also i am one of these people who quite enjoys running without a mezzer, so having 3-4 mobs beting on the team is fun especially when you finish the last mob off and everyone is "phew...close" Then again that goes back to my EQ days and getting the Tank unconcious before Complete Heal lands, hella fun

I think you find as you progress that in reality exp is more important to people over loot on team missions (and the token) this can be due to the fact that you can equip eqpt of a much higher lvl so once you make your initial purchases for eqpt you are restocking your bank account for 20-30 lvls again. As for chests i have never opened one yet on a team mission prolly cos of my -100 BE skills The majority of teams i roll with dont bother with chests, heck, 90% of time we dont bother with corpses and it's a cursory examination of the Boss to see if he has anything good.

Having said all that, if something drops i can use now or in the close future i would like a chance at it, with the character im playing at the time, not for an alt i may or may not have.

Agree rules before hand if it is a concern of your's. If nothing is said then loot what you can, when you want as long as it does not hinder or put your team at risk.
    Pecka Lvl 180+ Soldier RK2 ~~ Imminent retirement ~~
    Hottbuns Lvl 90+ Doctor RK2
    Peckka Trader with original naming policy, 160+
    Alvar 110+ Meatshield

Originally posted by Yazule

1) I tell my teams up front how I like to play, yes I TELL THEM how I play, if they dont agree we dont even go to the mish, I just leave as I want to play the way I like to. I dont tell the team what to do, I tell them how I play. If they agree and dont roll then I leave... called breech of contract.
    The essence of a contract is an agreement, not an edict. I suspect that you actually do dictate terms to your teams and they tolerate it because having a doc in the team is so crucial at midlevels.

2) you obviously do NOT play a doc, or if you do you are a crappy one. Yes it is simple, that does not mean that there is a lot to do in a short time if youw want to
    No, I don't, but several of my friends do and I talk about playing a doc all the time with them, and whether it is that difficult; they universally say, "No, just more boring." One of my best friends in the game is an outstanding (but semi-retired) doctor; he has often said that he goes through missions post 140 hardly ever recharging nano.

On the other hand, last night, I was lucky to team with one of the better doctors on RK, who actually led the team through 3 195 missions (one of them a 150 mob mission done in a little over an hour) without a mezzer with great efficiency and grace. The team was fighting dual real means and aces frequently. So tempering my prior statement about game difficulty; AO is a very easy game to get by in, but to play it well takes lots of concentration and experience.

3) when you get in game, please type /ignore Yazule
    then type /ignore Dnastyone

thanks!
    There are only ten or so people on my ignore list after playing 297 levels with 2 characters. The one doctor I have on ignore shows up 10 minutes late to every mission with a different ridiculous excuse each time, lags the team, heals poorly and I suspect has outright lied to the team on one occasion. Bad actions, not flaming or smack talk on the forums causes me to ignore people. Ignore me if you like, but I have never "ignored" someone over a post in this forum and certainly don't intend to start.

4) "no compitent player is going to play this way" is such a stupid thing to say (you are lucky I dont call many people stupid). What that says is "no POWERGAMER is going to play this way".
    So now you are calling me "stupid?" ROFL.

Point taken to an extent; I suppose there are people who "play" as fantasy more so than as a game, and I think that's great. 99% of the people in AO play as gamers (and I don't really know what a "powergamer" is, i.e. is Michael Jordan being a "powergamer" when he tries to score as many points in the game as possible?). Perhaps the best way to state my position is, "99% of the high level player base will not appreciate delays mid-mission to roll for loot."

Guess what bud, the closer I get to 200 the LESS FUN this game really is. When you have done 93274984759374 BS missions come back here and tell me how much fun blazing through missions is. I play for fun, and cool loot IS part of the fun. You play your game and I will play mine (see #3 again please in case you missed it)
    I hope you find a game more to your liking one day. I love playing AO; comes from living in an isolated neighborhood as a child and few mates to play "army" with.

Have done hundreds of BS missions also; they are still fun for me. Yesterday, one of the teams I was on did a 40-50 mob mission in under 20 minutes. THAT was fun.

Another team I was on had two very mediocre players from the same (usually excellent) guild who had both been doing things in our missions that were really beginning to get under my skin. One of the two found a SF, and though I have never before asked for a roll, did in this case to tick them off (I knew based on the way they played that they wouldn't roll anyway). There was silence, no response whatsoever, so I asked again... silence. Finally, after asking a THIRD time, they began to make all sorts of excuses. The excuses for not rolling were hilarious, my two favorites were "Why roll for it? those things drop all the time, I sold two last week," and "I once gave a GA2 disc to a friend... [and??ROFL]" Finally after torturing them to my satisfaction, I told them not to roll. THAT was not "fun" (but really felt satisfying for some reason).

The point of all this is that the best course of action in team missions is finders keepers. Any loot issue in a mission is going to breed bad feelings, so why even let them arise?

kk, hope to never hear from you in game
    It doesn't sound like we play in the same server/circles so you probably won't. Do you take it so personally every time someone calls "BS" on statements you make in a post, or did mine just hit a nerve?

You assumed I wait til there is uber loot and then say "we will roll or I am gone"... well you assumed, now look at the first three letters of that word (assumed) and you will see what it made you.
    /edit
    So I am an ass now? Yes! I see it now, the first three letters in "assumed" ARE "ass." So because I "ass-umed" something, that makes me an "ass." ... how clever. Guess I'm OK with that.

But wait, aren't you "ass-erting" that I am an ass? Ohoh.

Do you have an "ass" fixation?
    Last edited by Jutlina; Dec 6th, 2002 at 17:57:24.

playstyles

It boils down to play styles, regardless of levels.
    Role-players want to act 'in-character', so looting may or may not be important to them but getting through the mission ASAP is not their priority.
    Explorers want to find new places and loot and monsters, and they don't like missions much. They generally don't give two hoots about going fast through a mission.
    Socializers are there for the group experience and will go for whatever the team wants to do.
    Credit/Item Achievers want loot. Phat loot. Lots of Phat Loot to sell for credits or other items. They will want to loot everything off the mobs and chests.
    Powergamer Achievers want to get as much xp as possible in the shortest amount of time. the goal here is to "win" by getting to 200 in the most efficient way possible. Looting is what they do after they "win".

Most players can work together as a team, but powergamers don't seem to play well with the other groups. They will ditch you if you loot and will kick you if you are not moving fast enough. My advice is that power gamers identify themselves as such as in "I prefer to level as fast as possible and I don't want to stop for looting." If that is ok, then fine. But Yazule is right that you must tell people up front how you personally play or else there will be problems. Going passive-agressive in the middle of a mission and demanding a roll when you don't want the item is just dumb. If you don't loot, don't expect to roll. Rolls should not be a penalty for people who do not share your playstyle.
    Here is my rule of thumb (and apologies to those who have heard me say this several times before on the boards): If your tank is fighting you should not be looting. The tank must set the pace and hold aggro, that is the 2 main functions of a tank. The tank (regardless of level) should consider the group in setting the pace. Charging off to kill the next mob is NOT acceptable if there are looters on your team. Kill, heal, loot, repeat. That is the rhythm that a good team needs. If 150's and above feel the need to change this, announce it ahead of time and the team will either live with it or not. It is NOT about competence; it is simply a matter of style.
    Last edited by BigGreen; Dec 7th, 2002 at 03:32:10.
    BigGreen
    Advisor of Rising Phoenix
    www.risingphoenix.org

current setup

I don't see this as much of a problem, probably because I tend to play with mature people (guildies), and also because I'm not a greedy person. If I'm not looting bodies or chests in a mission (which I rarely, rarely will do), then I shouldn't be "entitled" to any loot found.

Now if a Doc-only item dropped and I was the only Doctor there, I would expect it to be offered to me. If GA4 was found on a body by someone and there was a Fixer in the team with GA3, I would expect it to be offered to him.

If a notum chip or soul fragment drops, I wouldn't ask for it to be rolled for. Though, generally its nice of the looter asks if anyone needs it to use for something. Generally the answer is no, so they keep it anyway.

Perhaps you should try teaming with people you know who aren't so greedy. Or perhaps you should be a little more apathetic about loot. It's really not that big of a deal under most circumstances.

1) i play the same way on any toon, be it enforcer, doc, trader, agent, solja, MP, NT (those are the ones I have played most ... in order

2) a contract is always defined by one side, you dont accept and I just leave, there is no contract. It always comes from one side

3) still like playing AO, powergaming AO is boring though

4) if you FUN (yelled, all caps) is 20 min bs mish's then you are a powergamer, and also very very new to the game. You will change your tune

5) I play both RK1 and RK2 (no, I will not start using their new names for them).... I hope you are omni so the only time I see you is when I am attacking you lol.

6) yes, i think you are the first three letters of the word assumed

I would have to say that this is an typicall example of how an flame should not look like. You need to think things through and calm down before you try to write an flame... Im sorry but I would rate this flame with an 1. Aggression is to high, grammar and cursing isnt to well planned... Maybe he has an point somewhere in there but I dont even want to find it. - Centurion3

ROFLOL

To respond to this post all I can say is that people that I find are only looting in missions and who also sometimes as a bonus refuse to raffle an item they find in a chest, while the rest of us are fighting end up on my list of not wanted characters.
    I also inform my guildmates that this person isnt really doing what the teammission is all about, killing the opponents and getting your xp so you can level.

In my oppinion if you are a so called Lootwhore (i bet that is in ** now isnt it ) you can go roll some solo missions, then you are sure to get the loot, but then again, just tagging along in missions looting and leeching xp doesnt generally improve your real skills so you would probably end up at the reclaim, where i must say you really do belong if you are a Lootwhore...

The only time I loot is when I have engaged in a fight, if im not fighting I wont loot since that slows me down too much.

This is my opinion, if you dont like it, fine, I really dont care...
    (Sadly the people who play like this seem to be increasing in number from day to day)
    TOMTEMOR

I dont think the number of lootwhores is rising (if it is is is very slow) just the number of them caught is rising

bump for a kudo's to funcom for showing us who is ninja extordinare.

I love these posts too, have addd 6 people to my ignore list without even talking to them in game because of their team mission philosophy. That is for all the posts I have seen on this topic, not just this one.

ROFLOL

I love these posts too, have addd 6 people to my ignore list without even talking to them in game because of their team mission philosophy.
    LOL

1. I don't mind people looting in team missions if they can keep up and help dispense with the pain.

2. If they loot something and someone asks for it I expect either a roll or the looter to gracefully give it up.

3. If the looter is always three rooms back and never fires their gun (this happens more often than I care to admit) I often take my leave when that mission is done.

I've assumed that this was the 'norm' in team missions. It's what I've come to expect at least. However, reading some of these opinions are enlightening.

And before someone says well you should up your B&E mine is 450 so :P

Boom!!! You were hit with 2.5k chemical damage!
    Attaced by Real Mean Enforcer!!
    Oh ****!
    Goode 200 Nanotechnician
    Ionsphere 166 Martial Artist
    DrHandy 154 Doctor

Re: Re: stuff found why rolling ??

Originally posted by diatribe

Morseul I'm guessing your first language isn't english (if it is you really need to slow down a bit and proof read).

Because the best way to learn is by correction, here is my correction:

I'm not sure about that last bit - sorry if this seems a bit didactic.
    hehe are you a school teatcher or something in RL (J/K)

EDIT: spelling

Re: stuff found why rolling ??

Originally posted by Morseul
    Yes now is the fashion in team all stuff found notum /ql 200 implant free*/ hot stone / and some diferent objet now i heard
    "i whant roll"
    thats break the rytme of team and i dont understand why people prefere beg roll to climb her ip for have 450 to break entry

i whant know if fc have take a position of thats
    im a doc, docs dont have time to pick chests they spend all the time to spam their healbuttons, want them to heal you or loot chests? thats why its good to share the stuff..
    /Comfortyou

Tha Doc Squad Commander of Wen-Tzu Enclave

My trader

*shrug* I've come to see that... mebbe 1/3rd of all players are lootwhoring leaches and there's nothing you can do about it. There's almost always 2 people in each team who are Contantly lagging behind, who never contribute an equal share of the damage. Who have bags and bags of loot at the end of the mission.

And these are the same people who don't want to roll for loot because they put such effort into picking it up. I just have to shake my head and be thankfull I'm not a scummy greedy pathetic leach like them.
    Sredniaka Sherrmanaka Posthasteaka Thanatopsysaka Vashtareliusaka Nnerroaka Alexxander

"Quidquid latine dictum, sit altum viditur"

Sredni Vashtar went forth,
    His thoughts were red thoughts and his teeth were white.
    His enemies called for peace, but he brought them death.
    Sredni Vashtar the Beautiful.
    by HH Munro

This is my first post on the message board, I'm a Lvl 73 Doc and this is my main character.

I keep hearing alot of people on this post say to go do solo missions if you need cash. Well my doc hasnt been able to do a solo mission since level 5. Maybe it is the way she is specced <shrug>. I have heard that Docs have an easier time after level 100 - but getting there is dam exepensive and alpha loot is great. I only lag behind when it is my turn to loot otherwise I am right there <maybe hiding behind a door after I have been aggroed> with my group healing them. I had one nice team member give me 100K after a mission, said that they had a Doc and knew how expensive it was. Another thing I do - is just ask people to pass on nanopacks if they loot any. My B&E sux so I don't even try to pop chests. Recently I had been blitzing QL47 missions when I was L68.... sad ain't it just for the 6 to 8K reward money.

Rambling on... I think people should remember that not all people have high lvl alts to suplement their poor docs income. And basically the only way I have found to make money is items I find from alpha looting - occasionally I ask for some items from boss loot to sell, just the junk stuff.

Once again this is my first post on the message board but this was a topic I felt I needed to comment on from a new player's perspective.
    Candi "Maraschino" Cherries

The faster you travel the less you see!

I also play a doc, 123 atm, and it's only recently that I've found playing in a team profitable in terms of cash... up until 90 or so the cost of chargers alone meant teaming with some peeps actually *cost* me, spamming heals, watching everyone HP bars, charging nano, and keeping up with tanks cos staying by the leader is the priority, I rarely had time to loot.. alpha loot is a godsend, and the loot chat even moreso.. cos if someone dies while im not in the room chain healing away, guess who takes the rap so looting imho would make me a lousy team member as a doc (until 150..?)

As has been mentioned, I do, and have always had to, solo for cash (I don't have spare ip for B&E if I want to heal AND be able to solo..), but I can only manage that at 50ish%, and it takes a very very long time for a doc to take a mob down (we're talkin point-of-tears at lower lvls), to end up runnin around in stuff the same QL as my level... team mission loot means I can equip armour a bit higher, so my team don't have to wait for me to return from the reclaim yet again cos I can't take a little aggro. Same for keeping my heals up to scratch.. Tried blitzing too, but I guess I've not had enough practice (gotta work on that run speed)

I must have been extremely lucky so far, cos I've NEVER played in a 'Finder's Keeper's' team.. if I've asked I've received (rarely do, time to read loot chat while the window's scrolling, the NT's HP bar has suddenly halved, and an add has jus noticed the healer in the back? I don't think so ¦D)... and doc stuff is passed to me automatically, and I do the same if I loot something prof specific. Fixer's are the main looters in my exp, but the one's I've played with are more than happy to share, and all my heals above ql 110 have come from a couple of great Fixers (thx 2 Daru and Tnek.. and to Flesh for keepin me in armour ) and still have plenty nanos to grow into..

I play a doc cos I love playing in a team, AS a team, as most docs do. I look after them and they look after me.. that goes for loot too... if someone thinks I shouldn't benefit from their B&E ip spend, why should they benefit from my BM and MM ip spend??

It seems the post 150 game is a bit different to the one I'm playing atm, but I hope I stay lucky in my team mates, and they won't mind me stopping for a couple of seconds to loot occasionally, to ask for loot or a roll (what? you need to stop to charge nano AND you want loot? ffs I'm growing old here! /me bursts into tears..)

Enuff waffle, time to kill stuff! Thas my tuppence worth

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123