Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This isn't playable

After the fight in RHD towers vs the clanners, I pretty much gave up mass pvp. Its not an Org VS Org fight its a total Clan.Omni.Pure.Lag.Fest. The winner is the group who bring the most friends. No tactic involved since the lag will destroy it anyway. There should be a limited number of ppl depending on how many players can defend a tower and how big the base is..

Originally posted by Skymarshal
    The lag that we are having is very much unbearable.

The Blinds/roots suck to...

well, i guess playing /chardist 0 so i have less lag, means that blinds are pointless
    Good point.

Hard to see a solution to the problem, crown control AND side control can maybe work, but have to be both, else just the attackers come with tons of peole and no defenders can get in, but with side control i can also be a prob ofcourse if all docs suddenly get warped away and teams get splitted that way.

Can make it so it's org vs org only, but then the big orgs will win every time.

I think the only good solution would be....ta da...fix the damn servers so they can take more than 10 people at same spot at same time!
    Azzazzimon

Clan Apocalypse - The guild for models

Account closed.

I have to agree that its not our lag its server lag.. Becasue while storm was trying to take over legion base today we were at the pest and there were only 2 teams and the pest is half of the map away from legion base then why do we get horrible lag over there?

Ah anyway upgrade servers put that crowed control feature lower ammount of people able to attack and lower base defences couse it wil be imposible to take over of fully fanctional ql 200-250 base with 20-30 people.
    Two sisters practicing medicine on Rubika and Shadowlands Pomy and Julka.

As a doctor i would prescribe you to use some common sense and a vacation to Real Life"

If i ever start a new character in Eve i will choose a name something like "aieerjjnnvajjnasdio11e3".

[i]I think the only good solution would be....ta da...fix the damn servers so they can take more than 10 people at same spot at same time! [/B]

rofl.....yeah right...quit smokin' that crack Azz

Actually for the record, in today's assault (around 20 vs 20, perhaps more) I had little to no lag. In the worst instances it took me 3 or 4 extra seconds to throw out a nano, but that was rare. Usually my ping was green.

Full chardist, 800x600x16 with AA turned off, a cable modem and a decent comp. I thought it went very well. The people who were screaming most about the lag admited to having high graphics settings afterwards.

Not saying it's good, but letting you know that not everyone is bogged down quite that bad.
    <Cheeze|Work> i told iwi to start her own guild
    <Cheeze|Work> "downward spiral"
    <Cheeze|Work> instead of "uprising"

Yesterday's battle at Legion's base was horrible.. I was "running" around with 39k ping. As an NT my job is to disable enemy with aoe blinds and work in coordination with crowd controllers to aoe nuke.. well.. FORGET IT!!

Server lag is so bad that you basically have no idea what is happening to you. You may be already dead for the past 10 minutes, you just don't know it. That's what happened to me. About 10 minutes into the battle the damage started scrolling.. Turns out I have been dead for quite a while actually, but then I died again.. TWICE! When I was back at reclaim (3-4 minutes after I died !!!) I looked at the list of the people who did damage to me and saw that I personally killed 2 of them.

Smaller tower wars are great fun, but these large scale battles are a waste of time. Looks like DAV and EFP are very hot zones at the moment.. is the hardware that's running these zones up to it?

-= Legion =-

/stuck is your new best friend!!!

Originally posted by Meurgen
    Actually for the record, in today's assault (around 20 vs 20, perhaps more) I had little to no lag. In the worst instances it took me 3 or 4 extra seconds to throw out a nano, but that was rare. Usually my ping was green.

Full chardist, 800x600x16 with AA turned off, a cable modem and a decent comp. I thought it went very well. The people who were screaming most about the lag admited to having high graphics settings afterwards.

Not saying it's good, but letting you know that not everyone is bogged down quite that bad.
    Well lag wasnt that bad today. And it was more then 20/20 i must say 20 clanners and 30 omnis. The only problem was when you run into large crowd. Its posible to awoyd it if people will attack from several corners insted of just pushing one.
    Two sisters practicing medicine on Rubika and Shadowlands Pomy and Julka.

As a doctor i would prescribe you to use some common sense and a vacation to Real Life"

If i ever start a new character in Eve i will choose a name something like "aieerjjnnvajjnasdio11e3".

Well it gets bad once there are more than 80 people involved in the fight.

Regards,
    Jannerik

Well at legion's DAV base last night it was a joke.

Good job Storm (no sarcasm) at mustering an ungodly amount of attackers. As I said I didn't know that many people even played AO when I saw them. I didn't count but we were outnumbered about 3:1 or more, not that I wouldn't want the same odds if I was attacking, so again, not a flame.

But yeah, Funcom should look into dumping some resources into EFP, DAV, PW, Mort and any other hotspot or sought after place that the larger orgs will definately be duking it out.

As it is now I'd just as soon not play NW, I don't even have the CDKEY yet thanks to the wonderful shipping job, and really all it's doing is destroying my org's fun xping and doing uniques because you always have to be worrying what crap is going on at the lagpits we call "bases".

LOL! Noer!

I am no longer "Bureaucrat Neriax of Storm"

I am now known as: "Bureaucrat Neriax, lemming of Storm"

Hehe, good one!

Btw: Im with you on this topic..

Crowd Control....Lag Control..

What about SELF-Control.

I know everyone’s eager to pop a cap at a new enemy, but think a few things here.

"Swarming" a base when its well known about Lag issues, is not necessary. Hell Tactically...if you own several towers (2 or more controllers) its very unwise to commit all of your forces in an Attack upon a enemies base. While all your men are ....what’s was the term..."Lemming-Swarming" a enemies base....your own bases are wide open.

Tactically wise Commander would keep some of his people in reserve...not only stationed at bases..but in the grid (hanging around near the Controller exit). That way they have flexibility.

Same goes for defense. If I want to take a tower of yours...Do I attack the one I want out right??

Heck now. I send a token force at another tower of yours to attack. Or I trick another guild into attacking another of your towers. Either way...I send some guys to make some noise...you overreact and send all your troops to defend.....then I send the REAL army or people to the base I want to take. By the time the confusion is settled..the Base I want to take is already under siege.

What’s happening now is this:

Guild A attacks Guild B. Guild A brings everything that moves..spawns and can be summoned to "Lemming" the other guilds towers.

Guild B calls for help from allies. Guild C comes running to help Guild B

Guild A smiles and calls its allies..making a general announcement to all Guilds on Guilds A side.

Guild D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K etc all come running to various Sides to help.

Server Shuts down. Someone at FC laughs his ass off watching.

(shakes head) I would hope after several weeks things might settle down and people wont grab a gun and run off as soon as they hear of a battle...any battle ..even to help a guild in your own faction you don’t like.

After a few times people start loosing towers because their guildmembers are out attacking 19 other guilds at once....people will settle and learn.

Give me a few weeks..and people will be staying closer to their own towers,..and not so interested in helping their buddies attack everything (laughs nastily)
    Last edited by Metalynx; Dec 3rd, 2002 at 14:58:52.

Well, I'm sure the crowd control system will help, and the latest patch on testlive contains some fixes that should help the situation in the interim (though if you stuff more than about 50 people into one area, even a cable modem will choke regardless...)

The server has to actually run the game, receive player input and process them. It must then send updates to all relevant clients. And that input and those updates must fit down your pipe. Given a fixed bandwidth, you can either limit the relevant set, or reduce the frequency of updates (you can also prioritise, effectively trying to maintain update frequency for a certain set of data, whilst being less worried about other data and therefore accepting a lower update frequency, or even no updates for the lower priority data).

Even in a standard FPS, these are issues, and in a MMORPG the situation can be many times worse.

AOs 'graphical lag' is a seperate issue, being basically client side, and as such would be amenable to engine optimisations or re-writes (maybe Shadowlands?).

There are undoubtably things FC can do to improve the situation, but they aren't going to happen overnight, so we'll have to live with it for now
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

Originally posted by Darkbane
    Well, I'm sure the crowd control system will help, and the latest patch on testlive contains some fixes that should help the situation in the interim (though if you stuff more than about 50 people into one area, even a cable modem will choke regardless...)

The server has to actually run the game, receive player input and process them. It must then send updates to all relevant clients. And that input and those updates must fit down your pipe. Given a fixed bandwidth, you can either limit the relevant set, or reduce the frequency of updates (you can also prioritise, effectively trying to maintain update frequency for a certain set of data, whilst being less worried about other data and therefore accepting a lower update frequency, or even no updates for the lower priority data).

Even in a standard FPS, these are issues, and in a MMORPG the situation can be many times worse.

AOs 'graphical lag' is a seperate issue, being basically client side, and as such would be amenable to engine optimisations or re-writes (maybe Shadowlands?).

There are undoubtably things FC can do to improve the situation, but they aren't going to happen overnight, so we'll have to live with it for now

lmao, dood its been almost 2 years
    -Rhalla OMNI Fixer RK2

Originally posted by Nexuss
    Yesterday's battle at Legion's base was horrible.. I was "running" around with 39k ping.

pings dont go up to 39k.. timeout usually happens around 1500. i believe whats happening with that shows that while the servers might be lagging, there's also a certain amount of client lag.

It certainly is server lag. Whole DAV server is lagging. Hard to do the uniques in the zone due to the wars going on there. And the battle you see in fastforward when you run out of the areas clearly indicates that. Yes, client-lag is bad aswell, but servers got a big problem. EFP server gave up and crashed last night.
    "Should start a combined raid/NW bot, where people get points if they help take down a clan base. Should be most effective." - Said by Waikase 14th of May 2003 in sarcasm to the appearance of the first raidbots on Rk1.

Well.....

After fending off the faint at Rennesaince base last night, I was part of the attacking force headed for Storms EFP base.

As soon as I got close enough to target a tower I get 3-4 attack messages and my comp freezes up.

I then reboot, and try to log back in, this time with "Camelot settings" (640x480x16, /chardist 0). Every single time I get booted out before the splash scrren finishes loading.

My comp is well equipped and I play on a DSL line, so I doubt the problem is on my side of this.
    When I hit such a zone there are simply too many textures to draw and process... BLAMM... comp freezes and I may as well go to bed, because I wont get in until the zone is clear
    Legion
    Beartwo

and a whole litter of bearcubs ...

"Only the dead have seen the end of war." -- Plato
    "You see me now, a soldier, of a 1000 psychic wars...." -- Blue Oyster Cult

Originally posted by Rhalla

lmao, dood its been almost 2 years
    Well, nearer 1 1/2 since launch... the fact is (at least prior to 14.6), things had improved somewhat, and I daresay many of the issues introduced with 14.6 will be resolved in the near future (some already have).

You do have a point though, which is it would appear that any major improvements may well require a significant re-write of the game (at least at the networking level). Which may never happen of course...
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

Seems to me...

...that the only serious problem this game still faces is just this -- lag. Hopefully their crowb control plans will pan out.

It will only get worse as more and more people get the stupid booster. This had so much promise.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast