Thread: Distribution problems == Lag?

Distribution problems == Lag?

So, what I get from all this, is that there was one of those good in principle ideas to push the product onto the shelves for the day after thanksgiving.

The person making the decision didn't take into account border delays, distribution bungling, and shipping times. Nor did they take into account delay at the designer side, printing times, and the disenfranchisement of people in remote locations, like Canada, Australia and France.

Well, its not the type of lag that we experience when we are playing, but it looks like there was lag. How appropriate that this nice little idea suffered a lag death.

Maybe its our clients instead of their machine that caused it.

Animosity.

(reposted from another forum)
    PLEASE, give use a simple YES or no answer as to whether or not the CoH chests can be opened

What's the difference between the rest of Europe and France?

Don't get that one.

Originally posted by Tremor
    What's the difference between the rest of Europe and France?

Don't get that one.
    The french distributor have to translate the manual (Thanks Mr Toubon... Not.). And I suppose that french law is full of entertaining complications that makes the life of distributors more fun...

have to, as in required?
    Heh, that's gonna take some time

yep french takes longer

see, french got accents and funny letters and things on the occasional letter c.

Personally, I would love to see FC take the lead with a fully multilingual game, booster pack for on the fly translation for chat channels, and unicode support.

I have had many excellent conversation in game with people from around the world in the non anglocentric areas. It seems a pretty big barrior to force other people to speak english to enjoy the game. I am gonna go a bit John Lennon here, but if we could actually talk and play together, it would increase our chance of finally understanding each other.

(off topic for this thread)

Ani.
    PLEASE, give use a simple YES or no answer as to whether or not the CoH chests can be opened

Talking ono?

Can i be Yoko Ono then *grin*

/me waves the white flag
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
    It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
    The hands acquire shaking,
    the shaking becomes a warning,
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Originally posted by Tremor
    have to, as in required?
    Heh, that's gonna take some time :p
    Yes... We have a law to protect the french language here, that requires that anything you sell in france have a french manual,or something along those lines.

just a question

Originally posted by MORB

Yes... We have a law to protect the french language here, that requires that anything you sell in france have a french manual,or something along those lines.

I understand that the French translate french fries as "English Potatoes" (Pommes Anglais), What kinda racial slur is that?

Ani.

Lightbulb Re: Distribution problems == Lag?

Originally posted by Animosity
    So, what I get from all this, is that there was one of those good in principle ideas to push the product onto the shelves for the day after thanksgiving.

The person making the decision didn't take into account border delays, distribution bungling, and shipping times. Nor did they take into account delay at the designer side, printing times, and the disenfranchisement of people in remote locations, like Canada, Australia and France.

Well, its not the type of lag that we experience when we are playing, but it looks like there was lag. How appropriate that this nice little idea suffered a lag death.

Maybe its our clients instead of their machine that caused it.
    Yep, that sounds exactly right, just as Funcom has absolutely no control over the Internet and the different ISP's that everyone has, they don't have control over all of the distributors and customs laws of individual countries. That's just business as usual today.

It's funny, because if they waited to activate NW on the servers until every area got the game in, it STILL wouldn't be active, and people would REALLY be screaming at them. It would have been absurd for them to wait any longer than they did.

Long term FC made the right decision. It didn't make everyone happy, but it just isn't possible to make everyone happy with these games.