Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New plot twist, NOT a'okay...

I could care less if I make it out unscathed. I speak my mind, nothing is gonna change that. Not even childish threats of violence.

all i can say is this.. watch out for tall buildings when ur in ur yalm.. otherwise lighten up pls..

Originally posted by Ming
    What pisses me off are Brontoburgers being a clear parallel of cheeseburgers. How dare this thread try to become independant of the original thread on this subject. I won't post my thoughts twice. I won't reroll my post. No I won't.

Oh my god.

The only people who relate it to Sept 11th are the ones that make it seem so.

It's not.

We dont have to compare anything, anyone or any events in the "game" To real life.

Tell me this, can you make a story and not have ONE thing have happened already in real life or in other storys.

I thought bloody right too didn't I.

Luckily I have no loss in sept 11th, I was just anoyed at how some people can be so ****ing sick.

But its over okay, nobody wants to hear your or anyones ranting about it, your bringing the bad memories back for those who dont need it.

I swear, if i make a story and it involves a bomb, the mother cuker who tells me its sick gets a smack in the ****ing face.

Free world, free choice.
    We do what we want, we say what we want.

Just to let you know, CptFallout, I don't read your posts anymore. I'm only telling you because I saw my name mentioned (didn't read any futher than that), and don't want you to waste your time in the future.

When I first saw the spams last night I really didn't think much of it till I read P. Ross' speach. Immediatly I knew people whould raise an eye to the similarities and even "coping" of Pres. Bush's words. But to read 3 pages of people going back and forth over the context of P. Ross' speach and the use of "War against Terrorism" took me by surprised. To see so many people leading the same lives they did befor 9-11. and seeing so many people with the same attitudes after 9-11 is dishearting. Yes, the big bad Americans got attacked, Yes it did effect the world economy, Yes, and Yes, the Americans seem as if they have been the only country ever struck by terrorism. But! Think again. The only thing that happened was the same thing that happened on Dec. 7 1941. The Great Giant was once again woken up.

This came from a Canadian newspaper, it is worth sharing. Widespread but only partial news coverage was given recently to a Remarkable Editorial broadcast from Toronto by Gordon Sinclair, a Canadian television commentator. What follows is the full text of his trenchant remarks as printed in the Congressional Record:

"America: The Good Neighbor"

This Canadian thinks it is time to speak up for the American's as the most generous and possibly the least appreciated people on all the earth.

Germany, Japan and, to a lesser extent, Britain and Italy were lifted out of the debris of war by the Americans who poured in billions of dollars and forgave other billions in debts. None of these countries is today paying even the interest on its remaining debts to the United States.

When France was in danger of collapsing in 1956, it was the Americans who propped it up, and their reward was to be insulted and swindled on the streets of Paris. I was there. I saw it.

When earthquakes hit distant cities, it is the United States that hurries in to help. This spring, 59 American communities were

flattened by tornadoes. Nobody helped.

The Marshall Plan and the Truman Policy pumped billions of dollars into discouraged countries. Now newspapers in those countries are writing about the decadent, warmongering Americans.

I'd like to see just one of those countries that is gloating over the erosion of the United States dollar build its own airplane. Does any

other country in the world have a plane to equal the Boeing Jumbo Jet, the Lockheed Tri-Star, or the Douglas DC10? If so, why don't they fly them? Why do all the International lines except Russia fly American Planes?

Why does no other land on earth even consider putting a man or woman on the moon? You talk about Japanese technology, and you get radios. You talk about German technology, and you get automobiles. You talk about American technology, and you find men on the moon - not once, but several times and safely home again.

You talk about scandals, and the Americans put theirs right in the store window for everybody to look at. Even their draft-dodgers are

not pursued and hounded. They are here on our streets, and most of them, unless they are breaking Canadian laws, are getting American dollars from ma and pa at home to spend here.

When the railways of France, Germany and India were breaking down through age, it was the Americans who rebuilt them. When the

Pennsylvania Railroad and the New York Central went broke, nobody loaned them an old caboose. Both are still broke.

I can name you 5000 times when the Americans raced to the help of other people in trouble. Can you name me even one time when someone else raced to the Americans in trouble? I don't think there was outside help even during the San Francisco earthquake.

Our neighbors have faced it alone, and I'm one Canadian who is sick and tired of hearing about them get kicked around. They will come out of this thing with their flag high. And when they do, they are entitled to thumb their nose at the lands that are gloating over their present troubles. I hope Canada is not one of those.

Stand proud, America!
    Offer a flower to your enemy..
    If he refuses it, offer a hand
    If he refuses it, offer a bullet
    If he refuses it, give it to him anyways...

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

Isn't it just a relief when you wake up in the morning and find you didnt wet the bed?!

Beyond your perfection,
    beneath you and who you used to be
    awaits who I am.

Excess Radio! Bringing you tunage 25/7!

I must say in all honesty that when I read Ross' statement I did wince a little. It did seem a little too close to one of Bush's speeches for comfort.

The plotline of the building being blown up in Omni-1 Entertainment and the use of the Dust Brigade does not bother me because as other posters have pointed out, there has been a long bloody history regarding terrorism. The U.S. is certainly not the first to suffer from terrorist acts and it won't be the last.

But that statement of Ross' was just a little too close to what Bush said and too soon after the event itself for a lot of people.

I don't think Funcom meant any disrespect or meant to hurt anyone. I certainly don't feel angry towards them. But in light of the fact that a lot of people clearly ARE upset and even perhaps angry, then Funcom should reflect carefully on the words they put in the mouths of their creations.
    Anastasia "Aniee" Cervenak
    Martial Artist

Man is the only animal that blushes, or needs to. -------Mark Twain

THink!

Yes, think of the other phrases that could have been used. the "War on Terrorism" did at first seem like a rip off, but what else could they use?

"This is a counter-attack against terrorism"
    "We will commit genocide of the terrorists"
    "Once we're done the terrorist will have never of existsed"
    "This is a conflict of arms against terrorism"
    "This will be a draw out conflict of gurelia forces to crush the terroists."
    "I need my mommy!"
    "Omni-Tek will erradicate the terrorists."

these aren't the best examples, or the least skilled in writing, but lets find one that uses the fewest words and has a broadspan and is easily understood. I got it! "This is a War against terrorism!" yep, that sounds good!
    Lawyer: I'm sorry GW has copyrighted that phrase
    Telgi: What the ****! What about free speech?
    Lawyer: You must also consider that these words cannot be spoken infront of any American until all who lived on Sept 11. have died away as to prevent them from being upset.
    Telgi: So, America still has that phrase copyrighted all the way to year, well whatever year this is on Rubi Ka?
    Lawyer: Yes, even till the end of time the Impossible and Stupid phrase copyright program will remain in effect.
    Telgi: Crap-ola!
    -- Falling never killed anyone, its always the landing.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
    RK-1
    |OT|
    Telgi-61 Solitus Enforcer
    Gauf-31 Nanomage Doctor
    Saruzi- -=128=- Opifex Nano-Technician.
    Manstien-44 Solitus Soldier

Anarchy Online is on par with the movie industry in terms of "moving on". Arnold Swartz. (however you spell it) new movie Collateral Damage was delayed because of the WTC attack, but now they apparently feel its alright to release it.

I'm sure that everyone has a different idea on how long movies/games should wait before bringing up sensitive topics. You can never please everyone.

Make an educated decision if you are ready, or want to be exposed to this kind of stuff and make your entertainment purchases reflect this. I believe that Anarchy Online was advertised as a game about War.

I do not personally mind being exposed to aspects at war. I can understand why others would be bothered by this though.
    OCC Rank: Deacon(President - Republic)

........Truth...........
    Honor--|--Virtue The Order of the Crimson Cross
    .......Loyalty.........

Originally posted by Sxin
    other country in the world have a plane to equal the Boeing Jumbo Jet, the Lockheed Tri-Star, or the Douglas DC10? If so, why don't they fly them? Why do all the International lines except Russia fly American Planes?

Why does no other land on earth even consider putting a man or woman on the moon? You talk about Japanese technology, and you get radios. You talk about German technology, and you get automobiles. You talk about American technology, and you find men on the moon - not once, but several times and safely home again.
    i know u didn't write this ofcourse but i'd like to clear 2 things up..

yes, there are other plane-manufacturers that are non-US and non-russian.. Airbus for one is gaining more and more on Boeing.. Fokker is a smaller company building jets.. about Airbus: Airbus is a European consortium which is the ONLY WAY that the small to medium Euro countries are able to compete with the US for the simple reason that the US has an almost unlimited supply of resources/cash/backers/... compared to any sole Euro country.. hell probably even more then the whole of Europe.

and the space-race to the moon.. well, that only happened 'cause 2 superpowers were fighting for prestige.. once the cold war was over where did the space-program go? on a very low budget.. there's only 1 superpower left now, so.. besides, before there was the ESA (European Space Agency- a lot of euro countries helped build parts for the NASA.. Where did the uranium come from that the US used in their atomic bombs during WW2? Most of it from The Belgian Congo.. All examples not really worth mentioning but I gues a lot of countries (even allies) are a bit bored with the American uber stance on most things they accomplish or don't accomplish.. you're still all mostly European immigrants anyway so you just got a stroke of luck colonizing the vast richness of Northern America to say it simple..

Where would Germany get enough resources on it's own to build a decent space-program? Where would the Japs get it? Most countries don't have any Islands in the pacific, states on several 1000km away from the homeland or whatever.. u wanna go to space or be uber at other stuff? u need big cash, lotsa resources, places to launch the damn thing, ... Small countries don't have that djeezus.. most countries are as large as a small US state, go figure..
    Last edited by Orb!t; Jan 20th, 2002 at 10:55:53.

"other country in the world have a plane to equal the Boeing Jumbo Jet"

Airbus ring a bell? Nothing the size of the 777, but there are only a few of those in service anyway.

Not to menion that the russian Sukhoi Flanker is the most manuverable figter jet in the world, and the russian version of the Apache Longbow (name escapes me right now) is superior in many ways.

"Why does no other land on earth even consider putting a man or woman on the moon? "

China is planning for a manned moon mission. Hefty goal, considering it took the U.S. over 1 million man years to do it.

First they're putting a mapping satelite in orbit around the moon, a first. It'll finaly put the rest (or confirm) the conspiracy theory that we never went to the moon. It will finaly allow resolutions high enogh to see the rovers and LEM base's we left there. No current telescope can see it, except maybe the Hubble, which is booked solid for a decade at least, even then who would want to point it at the moon?
    Last edited by MikeWeather; Jan 20th, 2002 at 14:21:13.

your post says a bout the same as mine mike, so i'll agree with every last point you mentioned..

i don't dislike americans but most i know haven't got a clue of world-politics, history facts or whatever, yet they act like they own the goddamn place half of the time.. even canadians are becoming as short-sighted as US ppl i see.. ah well, that was to be expected of it's closest servant..

Originally posted by Orb!t
    your post says a bout the same as mine mike, so i'll agree with every last point you mentioned..

i don't dislike americans but most i know haven't got a clue of world-politics, history facts or whatever, yet they act like they own the goddamn place half of the time.. even canadians are becoming as short-sighted as US ppl i see.. ah well, that was to be expected of it's closest servant..
    You don't dislike Americans but you will cheerfully insult us all hmmm? Please don't generalize. Yes there are many Americans who are as you describe. There are also many Europeans, Asians Africans, etc. etc. who are as you describe.

People are people. Some are good, some bad. Some knowledgable, some stupid.
    Anastasia "Aniee" Cervenak
    Martial Artist

Man is the only animal that blushes, or needs to. -------Mark Twain

yes, there are lots of ppl like that all over the globe.. but none of them act like "they own the goddman place" or that it's the end of the world when their country is under attack by terrorists..

the fact that Bush, ur president of all ppl, called the war on terrorism a *crusade* at first kinda proves my point..

Film director extraordinairre RandaZ's Avatar
    Damn you. Damn you for your insensitivity. Many men and women died during the day of Sept 11th. A lot of them, risked their lives, knowing full well that they may not see the end of the day.

Damn you for callously using the memories of their lives in such a trivial manner. The "war on terrorism" you equate. "Ripped straight from the headlines." This is not right!

Yes, we all acknowledge that other countries have had their share of terrorism. But have you said to yourself "this is different. This is too close. The time is not right"?

Some say this is only a game. Are they right? Do we not have the same responsibilities to reasonable.... tolerant... sensitive... in this game? Does the fact that we are anonymous make us say things in public which would we otherwise not have said if we were say, on the street corner. The lack of direct eye contact... the windows to the soul... would it hide our own insecurities? Would you use the events of that day as a soapbox, to reach the widest membership? Stepping, trampling, on them as you would a wooden box?

You are from Norway... you are from the States. You are on this Earth. Do you not share our solemn rememberance and respect for the lost souls during that day? It does not appear so, because you throw about equivalence between real and fiction in such abstract terms. Right... wrong... sensitive... insensitive... those are all personal opinions and don't matter here.

Shame on you.

No, this is not a message to Funcom. This is targeted at the rest of you.

[Jan 20 - I felt that I had to append this message since some people have been reading partially my post and firing off replies without fully comprehending. Obviously, they never got to the last line, or never bother to analyze what was actually being said along with the style used. If you feel like replying... please re-read the last line and clear your mind of any prejudices before re-reading the text. A lot of headache and frustration will be saved. - Tap]

T. Solminski
    Last edited by Tappert; Jan 21st, 2002 at 05:20:15.
    Slotine Zembower
    R.U.R. Member (RK1)

Tappert Solminski
    Tailor of Rome-Blue (RK1) [currently MIA]

No Tappert you're not getting it. Most non-Americans feel for our loss, and fully sympathize, what they're saying is the US isn't the only country effected by terrorism, and they're sick of us acting as if we were. Sure it's fine for terrorism to plaque the rest of the world, but as soon as it comes to the US -OMG nobody ever mention terrorism again? Now we're acting as if we own the rights to the entire idea of terrorism. This sh-it has been happening all over the world for years. Were those lost lives any less valuable?

Puuh

Get a life. People like Venge made Counter-Strike change team names from counter terrorist/terrorist to something else and replace word bomb with other...

People who are offended of things like that should really get their heads checked.

Trade center bombing.. I couldnt care less. It didnt affect me anyway. Fact is, people get affected mostly by things happening their "own" home, not in some foreign country. If that would have happened here in my country I would maybe affected but USA wouldnt give rat **** about it except express maybe their condolences.

More people die every second than what died on that terrorist attack. There have been more atrocious things done in 3rd world countries and will also be done in the future.

Zarch and bunch of other chars between 5-139

PS. I dont want you to think that I am unthoughtful but for whole nation to think that just because they got hit everyone in the world should cry with them is something I find absolutely disgusting.

Film director extraordinairre RandaZ's Avatar
    I get it Ming... in fact I feel the same way personally... but please read the last line again.. then read the whole thing again, keeping in mind who am I really talking to. Thank you.

T. Solminski
    Slotine Zembower
    R.U.R. Member (RK1)

Tappert Solminski
    Tailor of Rome-Blue (RK1) [currently MIA]

Actualy if this happened in another country, the USA, despite an onciming recession would have sent aid. The US is almost too overly involved in foriegn afairs, and if the US keeps getting attacked by terrorists, isn't the US doing something wrong? I could give a whole history lesson, but the more the US interacts in saving lives a far, the more lives they'll lose at home. I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but think. If we let Isreal get taken over, then we'd still have 2 WTC towers. If we let Communism invade Europe and Asia, we'd still have many young men survive to grow old in the US as was meant to happen. Don't vote for a war monger of a President if you don't want to go to war! Real life is a giant game of AO. You CAN change the storyline!! Personally when I saw those towers burning in my History class on TV I turned to my friends and said it was "exciting". I knew that the world around me was real and changing. Those stories on the news were brought home. Granted, I was not happy with it. I love sky scrappers, and most likely there were good people in it too, but I can't slow down my life for the fact that our world changed. Records always get broken, there is always a first, and events to follow. If you try to live your life from the pre 9-11 you might be moving on, however, to beat terrorism you must move on and not admit the terrorists succeded. Now during a war on Terrorism we can't cope still, Why? If this was a real war, and NYC was leveled by firebombs and tens of thousands died, what would you do then? stop everything or move on? Use your head.
    -- Falling never killed anyone, its always the landing.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
    RK-1
    |OT|
    Telgi-61 Solitus Enforcer
    Gauf-31 Nanomage Doctor
    Saruzi- -=128=- Opifex Nano-Technician.
    Manstien-44 Solitus Soldier

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast