Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New plot twist, NOT a'okay...

Originally posted by CaptFallout
    Well I guess Snarf isn't spastic all the time

I guess it's good to know since it sort of shows that he is just roleplaying most of his gimpier stuff, so I guess I don't really despise him that much anymore... back to the topic.

GM in the IRC channel basically was *****-slapping me because I kept accusing FC of trying to capitalize on the 9/11 situation, and it really angered me. It felt as though FC was getting flak and GM was just trying to brush it off (in a rather rude manner)

As for people in game... some guy named Gaurd claims his guild is made up of mostly Afghani people who are laughing at the americans who are complaining about 9/11 similarities in game.

Hey Gaurd, come over to my house... I got a 2x4 I want to introduce to your face... a few times.

God damn people... roleplaying is fine, but this isn't a situation that should be dealt with in a game... at least not this soon. What's next? Wanna make a FPS game that takes place in a school and release it next time some kids shoot up their high school?

I mean... Arnold Swarhzenegger post-poned a movie because of it... at least tiny little Funcom could come up with a way to change the story.

Damn.

If 9/11 can't shape the storyline (into something that actually isn't offensive) then we have no chance at all to do that with our worthless RP events or actions in this game.

If one of the worst terrorist attacks in recent memory can't change this game... hell if we are going to.

All I can say is that When The Dark Carnival, Captain Fallout, and Snarf all agree on something... It has to reflect the general viewpoint of a large number of players in this community. I was sickened that Funcom would create a speach that so closely resembles things we have dealt with in real life since Sept. 9th. I hope Funcom gains some tact in how to maneuver around real life matters to not capitalize on one of the most catastrophic disgusting losses in history.

The clan sould have easily been referred to as barbaric rather than terroristic and other better routes could've been taken. It seems as though no thought was put into the fact that terrorist was used in the statement.

[DELETED BY ME] No point...
    Last edited by Hiero; Jan 18th, 2002 at 22:05:46.
    "Maybe Funcom should move 1000 AO players into Clon****, lock down the zone and make dyeable armor to attract more players?"

A DaoC player defending AO

Just to make a comparison here.

My father, a U.N. observer, got killed by a american clusterbomb in Rawanda 1995. I don't know about you, but I feel I gotta redeem myself over some american players because they are, after all, american.

Does it sound childish? It is. And so are you at this very moment.

I do not support the terrorist act of the 11 september 2001. But I do support the story that Funcom has been striving to give to us. For about six months ago, you were whining about 'no story' now when there is one, you complain again since you think this story is a ripoff of an actual event.
    "For the Angel of Death spread his wings in blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he pass'd;
    And the eyes of the sleepers wax'd deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    - Lord Byron

[ alpha.omega ]

Originally posted by Gelder
    People take this way to personal. It was a tragic event that day 11/9-01. So?

I mean, seriously, in the second world war you had no problem of dropping two nuclear bombs on a civil population. Hell, I'd say you just got the title "terrorist". Go to Hiroshima and ask the survivors how they feel by the american presence on Okinawa.

Anarchy Online the game is about a year old, the war between the Omni-tek and the clans are just as old. The bloody 11/9 event is not even a year old! I'd say that fate has a fate of irony here.

Lay down, have some cookies and have a glass of milk and make a reflection of your miserable lives.

I am really thankful that I do not live in the states, because I would be so ashamed of you and your childish behavior.
    Now this post is the most childish thing I have heard. If your mother, father, or a friend were killed by such an act you'd feel completely different. The fact that the event is not even a year old means that wounds have not healed... the fact that we are still at war with the aggressors is proof that the battle is not over. The news reports of added threats and other possible attacks do not help us feel better.

If anyone is cold and heartless it is you. You are someone who can't even understand tragic, can't understand pain, can't understand suffering.

There are reasons why nuclear weapons have not been used since WWII. The results were above what was expected... the suffering well beyond the goal. There is also an enormous difference in retaliation and defense as opposed to taking these actions to an unsuspecting population who is not even aware that you are at war. The two events are very parralleled that you brought up though... research history... those are the only two major foriegn attacks on US Soil (pearl harbor by Japan (later bringing about the retaliatory attacks), and The WTC by Afghani Terrorists)

And Japan exports more products to America than to any other country... so obviously they don't have a problem trading with us.... And Japan sent the naval fleet to support the US efforts in Afghanistan.... So I don't think you have one clue of how the world works. Japan and America share very close trade relations and America has spent years trying to rebuild and help treat those that suffered in the atom bombs and to help rebuild.

And to close I'm just glad that someone as senseless and heartless and as cold a bastard as you are not in the United States. When tragic events happen world wide, we send aid... we assist... WE CARE. I can only hope that others abroad are not so cold and heartless as you. To say that America deserved to have thousands of innocent people killed in the terroristic attack is obsurd (note that Britain lost many as well and over 115 countries lost someone in the attack).

And no I won't be like you... because I will still say I hope you never find yourself on a hijacked plane or in a burning building or a mourning for a loved one who has been killed by a terroristic act wondering what you did to deserve that. NO ONE DESERVES THAT.

Maybe one day you will GROW UP and realize that the world wouldn't have quite as many problems if people didn't have YOUR attitude and tried to help a brother instead.
    Last edited by eleetist; Jan 18th, 2002 at 21:49:59.

Actually, the US isn't at war with anyone. The're branded as ulawful combatants, in direct violation of the Geneva convention which states that a UN tribunal must decide whether combatants are lawful or not.

Eleetist, I mostly smiled at your post because I know, judging from that hysterical tone, that you cannot have felt that pain you feel when someone very close dies.

I did something else instead of making a war. I chose to forgive.
    - Lord Byron

[ alpha.omega ]

thumbs up DC

I agree 100% with what the dark carnival is saying and will join in the protest with all my chars. The spammed war on terrorism messages last night were in very poor taste. BTW that Mikewheather guy really hates Isreal he's got messages up everywhere about it.

Im really wondering why everyone is up in arms. so it resembles 9/11. But its not real. AO is not real repeat not Real. 160 people really didnt die. There is no one called Ross in RL. His speech was aimed at some terrorist that dont exsist. Um why are you all mad. Im an american. Ive felt the pain of losing people before but really people. If your whine about AO whine about the lack of content not the fact that the content they give us somewhat resembles something that might have happened in RL. Sure

1) Apartments blown up MAY look or seem like WTC site but when you pass by the apartments in AO do you salute the fallen 160 people. DO you try and save the 160 people killed or lost in the rubble. DO you try to put out the fires that may be in the rubble. OR do you just pass by the rubble everyday for the past few days since december heading to buy more bullets. This isnt WTC

2) Ross well hey may have said there is a "war on terrorism" a billion times on the broadcast channel but is he a president of a country. Is he Texan. Is he respected by you. DO you actually listen to his speeches. Did you vote him into office (or not vote). Did he have to be sworn into office. He is not GWB

Im very proud to be an american but we all mut move on. Some day someone will make movies about 9/11 and TV shows that reflect similar events. Are we to put down others expressions of history or even entertainment. I for one am glad for the new twist in the story. Maybe now we can get on with the fighting PVP style.

Originally posted by Gelder
    Eleetist, I mostly smiled at your post because I know, judging from that hysterical tone, that you cannot have felt that pain you feel when someone very close dies.

I did something else instead of making a war. I chose to forgive.
    Enjoy it all you want.... I have lost those close to me. And I have been with my brother, by his hospital bedside, within minutes of him taking a 30 odd 6 gunshot to the chest. I had to see him lying in a pool of blood in the Emergency room. I lost friends in the world trade center. I had a friend in the Pentagon. I had several hours where I feared my Older Brother was on the plane that left Boston... AND THAT MY FRIEND IS WHY I AM UPSET AT YOUR BLATANTLY CALLUS ATTITUDE.

You seem way too bitter to have forgiven... anyone who wishes or is happy with harm to another individual has not forgiven... And obviously have resentment towards any and all Americans. I feel sorry for you. You know nothing about me and yet you want to assume you have me figured out.

Gelder, I'm ashamed by your outburst.

Funcom, I'm ashamed that you erased my long post (they said it was because I mentioned Tornquist personally) The similarities don't bother me... bombings occur a lot, and they are sad to see. Sure, Funcom could have just hit upon a coincidence.

What angers me is the use of the line from George Bush. It was not an accident, and it was not done to console or anything even remotely creative... it wasn't done to mock either.

Someone who mocks this wouldn't be "offensive" they'd be the most insulting scum of the earth. They'd deserve what much of the Taliban is getting now. Insensitive and idiotic and beyond the word immature. People died that day, and it wasnt a game.

Funcom is copying. While not as bad as mocking (trust me Funcom, if you mocked the situation you'd better hide in your shelters because you'd have some VERY pissed off Americans and other sympathetic folks) They are copying not because of coincidence but out of poor judgement.

Like I said in my (now deleted post) if someone released a video game based around Fighting off people at a high school right following Columbine or some other school shooting you would expect a large outcry from the reasonable public.

Arnold Swarhzenegger post-poned a movie because of 9/11 due to things resembling what is going on in real life (no direct quotes from world leaders there... just terrorists blowing up a building. Much less personalization that we've seen FC throw in)

Now Funcom ignores the fact that they've made a major mistake in "accidentally" insulting us. Sure, the storyline might have been outlined years ago... but I can promise you that quote was not written any time sooner than G. Bush's speech.

This is a bad sign for this game though.

If 9/11 can't shape the game there is no way we can.

If the deaths of 3000+ people and the following war cannot turn Funcom away from milking a horrible situation, then there is no way our crappy dance parties or PvP battles will be able to change anything.

Now Funcom. Don't delete this post.

I am really thankful that I do not live in the states, because I would be so ashamed of you and your childish behavior.
    This coming from a guy whose country riots and murders when their team loses a soccer game?
    "By the way, if anyone here is in marketing or advertising: kill yourself." --Bill Hicks
    "Have we turned into gerbils? People are paying money to walk up invisible steps over and over again." --Dennis Leary

What if?

What if Ross would have said:
    We must not let this act of terrorism go unpunished.

But i'm sure Bush said that too, in fact i'm pretty sure Bush said every word imaginable that has something against terrorism in it.

And people, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that a sloagan like "This is a war against terrorism" is a good thing to say when dealing with the attack on WTC.(or the happenings in Omni-Ent for that matter)

However i did react the first time i saw the message and i knew alot of people was gonna be angry, and i do belive that funcom could have used a better phrase.

Hmmm...

The only real problem I have with the direction of the story (other than the lack of story involvement on RK2) is the labeling of players as terrorists. Several times I have seen the clans (or in a reverse sort of way, Omni) being called terrorists and linked to these horrible events in the game (I mean, people actually died and cant be brought back...in the context of the game that is incredibly bad).

Considering how painful the labeling of any group (arab, muslim, afganistanian, ect...) as terrorists can be (a stupid and predjudiced label, worthy of ridicule and scorn - and a offence that would cost you your job in my workplace), perhaps we should avoid doing the same to people we share this game world with. This is a game, and my characters are my persona in that game. I play my characters with a great deal of personal pride and honor. I would prefer that people dont try and push my buttons in this game world. I play to have fun, I refuse to use matters of personal pain against other players...have the courtesy to do the same. I hope that FC keeps the 'terrorists' to a third party organization of NPCs and voulenteering players. If FC decides to tell me that I am one of the terrorists...my account will be canceled and they can expect a VERY heated response.

I think that dealing with these issues in the game is not in itself offensive. These issues are real problems that we humans have. But lay off the namecalling when you know that it bothers the person behind the character. Remember that the other players are paying to be part of this world too.

Oh, and go have some fun and blow up some 'evil' NPCs for the good of RubiKa. Keep the fantasy world a fantasy playground.

Emmily, level 60 Trader on RK2
    Proud member of the Omni-Tek Wolfpack
    "When you feel yourself falling into madness....DIVE!"

Unless they make women and children NPC's that you can go out and kill, I doubt your fears are grounded.

Though one could make a case that you are a terrorist if you kill non-agro NPCs. It's all a matter of perception. I dout real terrorists think they're evil.

I doubt Funcom will label any players as terrorists though, but I personaly wouldn't care if they did. I always play as terrorists on Counterstrike. It's more fun to destroy than to prevent destruction. Though preventing the destruction can be much more chalenging.

I also enjoy shooting civilians and cops in GTA3, releasing lions on the public in Zoo Tycoon, and playing as Nazi's in RTCW (mainly because they're the defending team) I'm EVIL like that Can't wait for State of Emergency so I can instigate some riots too

There's another example. Counter-Strike at tournaments.

A special version was designed and removed all terrorist models and instead of "CTs win!" It's "[clan name] wins!" No bombing... it's just a communication bug to install...

And yeah... there are still a lot of losers between now and 9/11 that have played CS and played as terrorists saying "Im going to crash a plane into you" or "bin laden is great!"

Why?

Because most people are ****ing idiots.

erm

What I find strange is why you are so worried about FC using events in games. There are many more real problem to worry about than some speech in a game. Did you care about games or films about acts of terror before the event in america, did you really think that such events where just made up ?

I think you should be more worried about real life events than what happens in games. Dispite the number of shootings in schools as yet the usa has still not banned firearms. Yet you worry about events in a game.

Its as if the recent events has woken people up to the real world, like now we have to suddenly watch what we say. Tell me why one event like this should change what we do while events in the past like WWW I and WWW II, IRA or events in the some of the old soviet countries where ok.

Originally posted by Xombie

This coming from a guy whose country riots and murders when their team loses a soccer game?
    When that happen the last time? Not that I am especially intrested in soccer, but I mean.. heck, I should know.

Aren't you confusing Sweden with some other country?
    - Lord Byron

[ alpha.omega ]

Hehe I think he was just using the "Euros are soccer freaks" stereotype.... all I know is that a few (ireland being the main one) of "your" countries always has a few massive riots cause some of them are too drunk to realize it's just a few guys running around in their underwear chasing a ball.

Originally posted by CaptFallout
    Hehe I think he was just using the "Euros are soccer freaks" stereotype.... all I know is that a few (ireland being the main one) of "your" countries always has a few massive riots cause some of them are too drunk to realize it's just a few guys running around in their underwear chasing a ball.
    Well.. heheh.. you know how it is, since the 900 A.D the descendents of vikings have little choices or had no place to go and today they are just letting out years of repressured rage on the nearest fool available.

They have just exhanged the two-handed axe for a beer bottle.
    - Lord Byron

[ alpha.omega ]

Originally posted by MikeWeather
    "Ok, for all of you ****ers that are perpetuating the get a grip messages, how about you sit before a crowd of us that are very near what this is mimicking and repeat that and see what happens? I ****ing dare you."

I would without hesitation.
    Ok, lets play a little game of lets make a deal then. How about I give your ass a nice highly visible public address and you show up to deliver that speech and we will see if you make it out with every limb intact? Sound like a plan? I bet you would not hesitate to shut your mouth.

Put your money where your mouth is.

Altaire

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast