Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New plot twist, NOT a'okay...

New plot twist, NOT a'okay...

Us here at The Dark Carnival are saddened and disapointed in Funcom and their seeming callousness and tactless attitude towards sept 11.

TDC has always been a group of like minded people who banded together to try and make Rubi-ka a fun and interesting place to enjoy our precious and rare spare time.

some of us have jobs and children and other hobbys.. we come from all over the planet to enjoy our favorite MMORPG. from as far away as Austrailia and Germany and China we gather and have a "thing" called TDC....nobody minds if someone types terrible english.. instead we pull together and help each other to better understand each other.

TDC has decided almost to a man(or woman) to suspend all proposed Clan VS Omni battles in protest of funcoms choice of using the world of Rubi-Ka to paralell the pain and suffering and death of REAL and living human beings.....to me and TDC in general we still feel pain towards all who lost loved ones since sept 11th. not just firefighters and those people in the trade towers but the mothers and fathers and children of the people killed in battle on both sides of this conflict....

i for one do not wish to help perpetuate and promote evil... and i refuse to involve myself in a RP game where "war on terrorism" is spammed continuosly....those Clan"Terrorists" are thinking and feeling and loving and caring human beings... this is a game and i feel that the feelings that "war on terrorism" brings is much to harsh to wish on my fellow gamers regardless of side.

yers,

Venge
    162 NT
    President of TDC

http://www.dark-carnival.com/

-------------------

I agree 100% with Venge and if this is the feeling of TDC in general then I feel that this sort of attitude is prolly common among people, US citizens, as well as others who play AO. It is just way to close to what happened just recently and if I was funcom I wouldnt want to touch or put myself near this heated issue.

My suggestion change the plot line quickly before people start to get angry.

slightly concerned

-Meph

terrorism

I came to have the same thought as well when I saw the "war on terrorism" - to much 11 Sept. in this one.

Sad this is...
    All men, and all women are stars

ARK response

/petition Might take some time to read the AO.com messageboards. More particularly Rollplaying->Story , some of the sentiments on that board are going to spread quickly and the people over in Europe better figure out what they are doing with this quickly or there is going to be alot of angery customers...Please forward this information to the appropriate people so that we can see some sort of action based on CUSTOMER feedback which is primarly negative. Thanks, hopefully for you at funcom it isnt too late to undo the damage already done...let me remind you that if the storyline isnt unique which it doesnt look like it is, Event: Building explodes in omni ent. "war on terrorism" which is way to close to september 11th very uncool.

-----

"Hello. Thank you for your feedback. We are very aware of the players feelings on the boards, and our CR department (is) discussing what to do as we speak. Take care! "

-rinlleojm

------

My response:

Hopefully we will see some sort of official release tomarrow morning or the day after?

-------

"Yes, Hopefully."

-rinlleojm

-----------------

thought you all might find that at least somewhat interesting

Agree with the sentiment of the original post: the whole terrorism spotlight that is being put on the storyline is unoriginal and inappropriate. The latest Ross speech is a blatant rip of Pres Dubya.

Terrorism of course can be an element in a story such as AOs, but making it the focal point is just tasteless at this time.

Snarf
    Snarf: Level 165 Atrox NT

"At one time you were maybe a little useful Snarf. Now you're just being annoying." -- Hawkman

"Well one guy said Atrox was the worst breed for the NT. The other guy said......'You tell that to Snarf....he'll kick your arse!' You are a NT Rockstar!" -- Hemicuda

"Snarf, Snerf, Nerf. It's YOU that brought nerf to NT's you you!" -- Rhayden

"Snarf cuts to the core of the problem like a chainsaw to a bunny rabbit." -- Deaddreamer

Just curious...

Hi, capt...

I just wondered... Was comment no. 17 here posted by you?

http://www.ao-basher.com/mem_show_co...&memcategory=1

couldnt be the real capt, its too short, to precise...

regarding the words of Ross..: How can people compare Ross, who leads an oppressive regime, a corporation who historicly put thousands of people into mines to work for them, who use genetic manipulation for make humans that were made for the sole purpose of working for them, how can anyone compare such a man to President Bush.

Even if you dont vote for Bush, which I dont, I suggest you back him up in his reallife war against terrorism, because that war is for real.

What Funcom does is different. They have turned the situation upside down. They have made the big strong evil corporation the ones saying they are against terrorism.

God, I am offended by people who compares this to reallife!!

Angry jeez-uz

get a life lamers- this does not mirror real life events
    this is a freaking game
    go find something to do and quit trying to find fault with every little thing FC or anyone else does

What pisses me off are Brontoburgers being a clear parallel of cheeseburgers. How dare this thread try to become independant of the original thread on this subject. I won't post my thoughts twice. I won't reroll my post. No I won't.

Who cares? I don't see Israelis complaining, or the Irish, or the Indians, or the Columbians etc. Using your logic, using terrorism in a stortline PERIOD would be inappropriate.

The fact is, the story was appropriate before Sept 11 when terrorist acts were being perpetrated all over the world, even against the US. It defies logic to say that after Sept 11 it is inapropriate. If the world trade center were still standing, would you be complaining about FC's insensitivity toward Israelis? Afterall FAR, FAR more Israelis have been killed by terrorist acts than have Americans. There has been a war on terrorism in that country for decades.

How about we remove all refereces to political suppression, out of decency toward the hundreds of opposition supporters being murdered in Zimbabwe?

Or remove all references to facism out of respect for the 200,000 people who were killed by a facist dictatorship in East Timor (which has U.S. military support btw.)?

You people need to get a ****ing grip.
    Last edited by MikeWeather; Jan 18th, 2002 at 18:12:42.

Angry I agree!!!

I just posted a topic on the world of Rubika on the same page.

I was doing a mission when I kept getting spammed "Phillip Ross Has declared a war on terrorism." It's a major mockery of real life tragedy. Espescially, considering Omni-tek insdiers where the ones who blew up the omni trade district.

I am however glad the amnesty is over. Granted im not in a guild or a twink so my days are numbered.

Ok, for all of you ****ers that are perpetuating the get a grip messages, how about you sit before a crowd of us that are very near what this is mimicking and repeat that and see what happens? I ****ing dare you.

Building blown up and reduced to rubble in Omni-E, negotiations to turn over those responsible, and now a message from the head of Omni saying "This is a war on terrorism"...

That is a line for line substitution sans airplanes for the most part. The bottom line is that it IS tasteless and it IS offensive to many people. As for the folks who are victims of so-called terrorism in other countries across, the world, I feel for them as well. I do not see the world in my own little bubble. I am VERY aware of what occurs in this world, so don't feed me that get a grip **** and make light of the very recent turn of events.

If you want to ban me for a personal attack, or whatever, do it. I think this flame is justified. I could care less.

Altaire

By the way, despite my response to the "get a grip" crowd posters, I do not necessarily think that Funcom should change the story to appease us becuase it is similar to the recent turn of events.

I just don't like hearing people come here and flap their gums and make light of people's sentiments regarding the recent turn of events.

Given the lack of anaychy in anarchy online, something needs to happen for us to play a role.

Altaire

"Ok, for all of you ****ers that are perpetuating the get a grip messages, how about you sit before a crowd of us that are very near what this is mimicking and repeat that and see what happens? I ****ing dare you."

I would without hesitation.

Originally posted by Altaire
    Ok, for all of you ****ers that are perpetuating the get a grip messages, how about you sit before a crowd of us that are very near what this is mimicking and repeat that and see what happens? I ****ing dare you.

Building blown up and reduced to rubble in Omni-E, negotiations to turn over those responsible, and now a message from the head of Omni saying "This is a war on terrorism"...

That is a line for line substitution sans airplanes for the most part. The bottom line is that it IS tasteless and it IS offensive to many people. As for the folks who are victims of so-called terrorism in other countries across, the world, I feel for them as well. I do not see the world in my own little bubble. I am VERY aware of what occurs in this world, so don't feed me that get a grip **** and make light of the very recent turn of events.

Altaire
    People say "get a grip" because this is not really offensive.
    Does Funcom seem to be glorifying "The Dust Brigade"? Have you seen anyone, anywhere express support for the Dust brigade? NO. Why? THAT would be offensive.
    Is it a little silly how the storyline is starting to imitate r/l a bit? Yes, it is kinda cheesy. Those of us over 15 know that's it is kind of lame, but we also know there is no reason to be pissed off.
    Should people be up in arms? NO.
    Even if I had lost my whole family in the 9/11 events, I would not be offended just because the game had a building blow up, and a "war on terrorism".
    I hope none of you guys ever play Rainbow 6.... there's terrorists in that game too! And they try to blow stuff up! OMG!

The real problem is, there are too many whiney teenagers who play this game, are getting bored, and are just looking for a cause. Jump on that cause bandwagon!

-Summon that cause, baby!

-D

"Ok, for all of you ****ers that are perpetuating the get a grip messages, how about you sit before a crowd of us that are very near what this is mimicking and repeat that and see what happens? I ****ing dare you."
    The keyword here is "mimicking" which is NOT "mocking". There is nothing inherently wrong with mimicking something, as long as it's not mockery. I do not feel that FC has in any way mocked the events of 9/11. Great leaders often "mimick" other great leaders, especially when speaking in public.

-D

Thanks MikeWeather.

Strange that I should have a moment realization in a FC message board. I never realized how I totally dissmissed the bombings that have been hapening in Isreal/Palastine. However None of those bombings killed @4000 people at once, and none of them did billions in collateral damage at once. And for you telling people to get a grip... that I have to disagree with. People have feelings and opinions about this. Let them have them.

Everyone else--

Wars have included terrorism since the beginning of time. Poisoning the wells, assasinating civillians, etc. I think that terrorism ads to the realism of this game. War is ugly and horrific, and we are role playing it. Kudos to FC for the incorporation of bombings and terror. I think that there should be more of that as the violence escolates. I think that Omnis should be focusing on military targets and the clans should bomb everything because its a tactic that underfunded and undermanned armies have used since bombs were invented.

However, I think the blatant copying of George W's speach and the declaration of "war on terrorism" is unoriginal, and horribly so. The mirroring on real life events may be lacking in sensitivity toward the gamers, but I am going to leave that out of my post and just shake my finger at FC and say shame on you for copying George Bush.

Shame shame shame.

Kristi3 103 NT
    OSS
    Director
    Being a circus trainer has to be the best job in the world, until the bears figure out how to take off the muzzle.

" I never realized how I totally dissmissed the bombings that have been hapening in Isreal/Palastine. However None of those bombings killed @4000 people at once, and none of them did billions in collateral damage at once. "

At once or over several years, doesn't make any difference in my book.

Besides, Ross's stance is more akin to Sharon's that to Bush's.
    Last edited by MikeWeather; Jan 18th, 2002 at 20:45:07.

Ever stop to consider that maybe this was the story line all along and just maybe it got postponed a bit because of the real life events.

-Bruz
    Atrox Enforcer

Headcracker

Ever thought about the fact that this story was written LONG ago
    High lvl content is the key to fix the game. Add new hunting grounds, make some viable loot and money-dumps for higher lvls.

People take this way to personal. It was a tragic event that day 11/9-01. So?

I mean, seriously, in the second world war you had no problem of dropping two nuclear bombs on a civil population. Hell, I'd say you just got the title "terrorist". Go to Hiroshima and ask the survivors how they feel by the american presence on Okinawa.

Anarchy Online the game is about a year old, the war between the Omni-tek and the clans are just as old. The bloody 11/9 event is not even a year old! I'd say that fate has a fate of irony here.

Lay down, have some cookies and have a glass of milk and make a reflection of your miserable lives.

I am really thankful that I do not live in the states, because I would be so ashamed of you and your childish behavior.
    "For the Angel of Death spread his wings in blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he pass'd;
    And the eyes of the sleepers wax'd deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    - Lord Byron

[ alpha.omega ]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast