Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ares Pact: CoA, Cabinet and Sentinels

Arrow Ares Pact: CoA, Cabinet and Sentinels

This is a personal statement.

Brothers and Sisters of the Clans!

Council of Ares was formed to provide common defence for those who wished to unite. Now, the strength and wisdom of that union finally meet their first true challenge.

A situation has come about where a force which has not even been considered as a 'player' by the majority of the Clan and Omni-Tek populations has emerged and made a sudden and effective grab for power. Yes, the Sentinels.

It starts to seem sometimes that the Sentinels are the best thing that ever happened to Rubi-Ka - both Clan and Omni Tek seem to be united in their outrage at this action. While I can understand why Omni-Tek is disappointed at the emergence of a protection force in one the main Clan cities, I fail to understand why certain CoA Cabinet members are already pledging the resources of the member Guilds to the fight against Sentinels.

I would like to point out that in order to avoid a disastrous situation CoA endured during its previous run, an Ares Pact has been put in place. And it is the duty of the CoA Cabinet to abide by it. There can not be a declaration of war without the Board of Leaders' authorisation. No pro-active action without authorisation. We are not warmongers and do not seek to impose our rule above the rest. Should Sentinels come to be a government of the Clans, it is within the Ares Pact for an order to CoA to disband to be valid.

However, in the present it is not so, and, in my view, it is unlikely that Sentinels will rule the Clans. President Redruum is absolutely right - no CoA member will take orders from Sentinels,they are not a government as of yet. Sentinels have no authority to give any orders to anyone but members of their own organisation.

Ares Pact includes a procedure to curtail the Cabinet when it seeks to act beyond its powers. CoA leadership and members are politically inclined towards Republican values and the Rule of Law. I, among others, would eagerly exercise my rights under Ares Pact to prevent the Cabinet from exceeding its authority.

Cabinet members should watch carefully what they say - a public post comes at a price: people give weight to the words a public figure says as the words represent those who stand behind that public figure.

Long Live the Clans!
    Last edited by Fiqh; Dec 2nd, 2002 at 20:35:59.
    "Everything that one thinks about a lot becomes problematic" - Nietzsche
    Zorf
    Member of CAS
    Vito's Personal Atrox Punching Bag
    Holder of Pie
    Weilder of the Horrid Mauser
    Desecrator of the Temple of Three Winds
    Fiqh
    Member of CAS

Re: Ares Pact: CoA, Cabinet and Sentinels

Originally posted by Fiqh
    Ares Pact includes a procedure to curtail the Cabinet when it seeks to act beyond its powers. CoA leadership and members are politically inclined towards Republican values and the Rule of Law. I, among others, would eagerly exercise my rights under Ares Pact to prevent the Cabinet from exceeding its authority.
    So Fiqh, what about when the Board of Guild Leaders over steps their powers as set forth in the Ares Pact. The decision of the Guild leaders was made by them.The Board did not ask any members of the CoA Guild. They decided on their own and according to the Ares Pact the Board has no power to conduct military actions in the name of the CoA:

"It is the primary Duty and Obligation of the Cabinet to organise and conduct the common defence of all Clans throughout the Clan territory...The Cabinet has '*express*' authority to organise a defensive action against any hostile act by a third party upon Clan territory"

No where in the Pact does it say that the Board can decide to unprovokedly attack Omni mining facilities. If you think the Cabinet is wrong then oppose us. But the Ares Pact, the document on which our organization was founded backs our statements.

If you dont see it then I fear the CoA is doomed as you were one of the people who wrote the Ares Pact. Certainly if you cant see that the Board has violated procedures then we are doomed to failure.

Also Fiqh the CoA does not condone the actions of the Sentinels. Redruum has made a post about this himself in another thread on this forum. Silverstone has brought to us a unique opportunity to gain peace in our lands, to give us back a free government for the Clans.

The CoA as protectors of the Clans are willing to do whatever it takes to ensure that the Clans are protected, short of outright attacks. That is our purpose:

"The Council of Ares is a military alliance of Clan guilds. The aim of the alliance is to provide a common defense for all the members of the Clans until such time as the Clans establish an effective self-governing structure."

This will help to ensure(protect) that the Clans have a peaceful future, where the Clan people can form a new government.
    Last edited by Fixerben; Dec 2nd, 2002 at 20:59:46.

Benjamin "Fixerben" Bacarella - L212 AL10
    Haywood "Brawlking" Jablomy - L220 AL21

I will deal with this point by point:

1. Board of Leaders cannot overstep its power - its power is absolute. The Board can do whatever it wants - from dissolving CoA to declaring war on every single member of OT. The Ares Pact provisions were specifically created to facilitate the functioning of a unified defensive command, i.e. the Cabinet, not to limit the actions of the Leaders of the Guilds.

2. I can see a clear difference between a defencive action (a reactionary action) and aggressive action (a pro-active action). As per Ares Pact, the Cabinet is specifically authorised to initiate the first and cannot initiate the second by itself - for aggressive action an authorisation of the Board of Leaders is required.

3. One cannot do whatever it takes to achieve ones goals - one can only act with that which is allowed. Ares Pact sets out clear guidelines as to what is expected of the Cabinet.

4. While CoA does not indeed condone the actions of the Sentinels, the Leadership of the CoA is yet to declare war or authorise action against the Sentinels. Disapproval is not an automatic license to start a war.

5. If the Cabinet does initiate an action against the Sentinels, all that would be required to silence the dissatisfied voices is to produce clear evidence of attack upon CoA by Sentinels. Let me add that the mere taking of Tir clearly does not qualify, since it is clear that Sentinels have more manpower and command a superior force to that of all CoA guilds put together. It is also clear that all previous attempts to keep our fair city free from Omni has only been effectively completed by Sentinels. For once, the city of Tir is safe for Clanners.

6. Let me stress this once more. The Cabinet does not rule CoA - Board of Leaders and High Assembly do. The Cabinet has within its power to mobilse CoA forces on short notice, conduct the defensive action and perform all other tasks as authorised to do so by the Board of Leaders, such as negotiations and political work. The Cabinet, however, cannot go against the Board of Leaders or the Assembly.

Hope this clears things up. I am not opposing anyone. I only wish to see that the Pact functions as is designed and for the purposes identified in it.
    Zorf
    Member of CAS
    Holder of Pie
    Fiqh
    Member of CAS

So by your point by point break drown the Cabinet of Elected officials the is established in order to maintain a balance of power and act as a true republic is nothing more than a front or Faicade.

This is great to know.. and should be noted as it shows the CoA's true intent. A Council to be used for the soul benifit of the guild leaders. Redruum and windguaerd..

*Sigh* and to think I almost fell fo rthe propaganda that the CoA was created as a ture Republic and Protector of teh Clans..

Thanks but no thanks..
    ~*~ Nanoprincess ~*~
    Katelin Cyani Kerans

Please do not put words into my mouth.

COA is a defensive alliance. It has as political aspirations a Republican rule for the clans, and will work towards this end. However, in light of the previous reputation of CAS/COA/MD and previous issues, a defencive alliance and only defencive alliance has been put in place. It has been done so that none may be coerced into anything they dont want to do, to ensure effective common defence and to prevent the CoA in anyway from interfering in the political life and free choice of the clanners.
    Thus, Cabinet is a unified command structure. And has clear authority to defend the CoA in case of attacks. BUT CoA is expressly forbidden to attack clan unless attacked first. Sentinels are clan and thus only the board of leaders can declare war upon the sentinels.
    Cyani, only by being present at the table can u influence the course of events. CoA has not power to rule the clans in a way it is consituted now. It is a purely defencive alliance - you were among the people who said that CoA will be used to achieve political goals. It was made a purely defencive alliance for this purpose also - to provide for unity without sacrificing other people political aspirations. Now, the leaders behind the CoA have clearly spellt out to you that they stand for a Republican way, the way of democracy. Cabinet was not designed to be ruling body of the CoA. Board of Leaders has within its power to initiate changes within itself and add further organs for the future republic. Cabinet is also a part of that vision. It is a unified defencive command, as already been explained. In addition, the board of leaders to my knowledge has already authorised the Cabinet long ago to conduct political work and negotiations on others joining the CoA and also work on creating a republican government in co-operation with others for the Clans.
    So, now that we are clear on certain issues. What is the problem again?
    Zorf
    Member of CAS
    Holder of Pie
    Fiqh
    Member of CAS

As a result of the internal discussions, Ares Pact may be ammended in the near future to reflect the new exciting changes in the structure of the CoA.

The above posts have been part of that ongoing discussion and should not have been released into the general public. I take blame for this.
    However, the release of those posts has done a greater service to CoA than anyone will probably ever realise.

So please await some big changes sometime next week
    Zorf
    Member of CAS
    Holder of Pie
    Fiqh
    Member of CAS

It seems to me that the problem is twofold. First, the CoA claims a republican ideal, but asserts the power of a non-elected body (the board of guild leaders) over it's elected governing body (the cabinet). The other is that the CoA claims to be purely a defensive body, yet you yourself state that the board of guild leaders has unlimited power to take action in the CoA's name, including waging war upon Omni. I think that sums the problem up.

Thank you Dinfive .. perhaps I wasnt clear but you summed up my point precisely..
    ~*~ Nanoprincess ~*~
    Katelin Cyani Kerans

(On a side note, Fiqh and Ben--your debate and differences are interesting pattens of leaves pushed by different winds. And how I love the winds, both the balmy ones from the West, and the frigid ones from the North!)

Fiqh--CAS and the CoA object to the Sentinels because of their extremism, for example, as displayed in reference to murdering neutrals in Tir. That the Sentinels are clanners is of no moment. It's an issue of humanity. Killing neutrals in Tir is immoral, plain and simple. To the clanners that tell Neutrals to get off a fence, I would remind them that they've been sitting on it so long they need to get it out of their ass.

For the current state of affairs between clanners and omni--with their daily bloody encounters and history of tit-for-tat--leads me to one conclusion: neither side can claim to be Mother Teresa (assuming her to be a moral archetype--which I do not). Which is why I focus on the future. Here issues can actually be fruitfully debated. And a Republican future for me for thinking, breathing, living, laughing souls is a natural as a rock falling down. For those that endorse Corporate Rule, they appear to me to arguing for rocks falling up--unnatural and, well, not a good thing heh.

Sorry for the rant, but Fiqh I'm not sure what you are driving at? Has the Cabinet actually exceeded its powers? Or was this just warning that you would oppose them if they did? But why do you feel inclined to warn us? Is something afoot?

On the other hand, the problem with the CoA--I suggest--is not the Cabinet exceeding its legal authority--it's that many important Clanners and Clanner organizations do not take it seriously (like lovely Cyani--who I would ask to wed but for Nelida haha). Why? Because, as Cyani states--Clanners refuse to see it as a Clanner org, but rather only as a Redruum/Windguaerd self-promotion org. Also because most see CAS as an extremist Org without principle and interested in power as the end in itself.

Both of these views I believe are incorrect (the second I know has been false now for months, being an Advisor of CAS) though I will not deny there is no truth to these views (excuse my double negative lol--but I wish to be vague here lol). The CoA is a neutral Org, and can generally be co-opted by whoever can convince others in a competition of views--thus, I think it is a genuinely promising and democratic venue. CAS itself has been moderate--practically revolutionarily democratic and republican--now for months, although not so during its long and past history.

Which leads me to wonder whether prominent and strong Neutrals may be best placed to organize a structure where sympathetic Omni, Clan and Neutral Leaders can build bridges? Perhaps some Neutrals are not so lacking in the practical virtues and not so filled with ideological notions of freedom as to seriously entertain this?

In any event, /end what began as a response and ended as a rant that has nothing to do with either Fiqh or Ben lol.
    Last edited by Kungwho; Dec 3rd, 2002 at 06:47:54.
    Kungwho Buddha-Bellied MA
    Zapsta Notum-Plump NT
    Awdd Keepster Gimpster

Unfortunately Fiqh...

The recent unprovoked attacks by CoA member guilds on OT organization's towers including non-agressive ones rather prevents me from supporting CoA. These attacks can in no reasonable way be construed as "defensive" in nature. Is CoA once again going to claim they've 'changed' and are now peaceful? You attack today then tomorrow throw up your hands and claim you've changed?

Sorry...it seems until you get your renegade member guilds on a short leash you will not have credibility as 'defensive'.

Originally posted by Fiqh
    Please do not put words into my mouth.

COA is a defensive alliance. It has as political aspirations a Republican rule for the clans, and will work towards this end. However, in light of the previous reputation of CAS/COA/MD and previous issues, a defencive alliance and only defencive alliance has been put in place. It has been done so that none may be coerced into anything they dont want to do, to ensure effective common defence and to prevent the CoA in anyway from interfering in the political life and free choice of the clanners.
    Thus, Cabinet is a unified command structure. And has clear authority to defend the CoA in case of attacks. BUT CoA is expressly forbidden to attack clan unless attacked first. Sentinels are clan and thus only the board of leaders can declare war upon the sentinels.
    Cyani, only by being present at the table can u influence the course of events. CoA has not power to rule the clans in a way it is consituted now. It is a purely defencive alliance - you were among the people who said that CoA will be used to achieve political goals. It was made a purely defencive alliance for this purpose also - to provide for unity without sacrificing other people political aspirations. Now, the leaders behind the CoA have clearly spellt out to you that they stand for a Republican way, the way of democracy. Cabinet was not designed to be ruling body of the CoA. Board of Leaders has within its power to initiate changes within itself and add further organs for the future republic. Cabinet is also a part of that vision. It is a unified defencive command, as already been explained. In addition, the board of leaders to my knowledge has already authorised the Cabinet long ago to conduct political work and negotiations on others joining the CoA and also work on creating a republican government in co-operation with others for the Clans.
    So, now that we are clear on certain issues. What is the problem again?

Well let me first start out by saying one thing. I never declared war on the Sentinels. I simply said I would put our full resources into it. I was referring to opening talks with the Sentinels. No military action was implied.

Second, This recent controversy has sparked a change in the CoA. Over the next week or so we will be revising the Ares Pact and restructuring the CoA. At the moment we can not answer any questions as to the new form our governing body will take. All we can say is that it will be Republican in principle.

As for my disagreement with the Board actions I still stand to it. It is not outlined clearly in the current Ares Pact what the Boards purpose is. It does not give any listing of their appointed duties, and given powers. Therefore according to the documentation I received and my understanding I was not incorrect in my claim. This is the cause for the reformation of the CoA.

Many things will be cleared up and the structure of the CoA will become more streamlined, and moe checks and balances will be put in place to be sure no one person or guild gains undue power.

I look forward to this exciting change as does the rest of the CoA. And we hope that no one will be too quick to judge as we are still just beginning in our fight towards a more republican CoA. We will become stronger through this, and our ideals only firmed in our minds. I hope no one takes this as a breakdown. It is more of a Tuneup.

I look forward to sharing the new CoA with all of you in the near future.

Okay, let me get this fixed.

The CoA is a clan allience, who have now formed a "legal" body, with boards, cabinets and so on. Now, who elected these board members? The CoA member clans it seems, cause there have not been any commen vote, nor voice heard from the other clans, outside the CoA.

As far as i can see, then the CoA have taken the power without a legal vote, and thats suppose to be democratic? It sounds more like a dictatorship to me, where only the strongest and richest get something to say. Its not far from what Omni-Tek does, your more like your enemy then your afflicted.

And what about the old council members, like the knightsa dn they... unormal leader? What about them? Dont they got anything to say? they are bigger, as well as alot of other "old" clans. As for the sentinels, if you screw with them, then you have yet an enemy.

It sounds like a civil war could happen within the clans. And now what about those notum towers? You say that you want to stay within clan areas, but yet, tehre are clan towers in Omni-Tek areas....

(OOC: Weee, now lets see what happens )

As I understand it the areas opened by the ICC for private mining fall outside of the normal scope of "omni" or "clan" territorial sectors. Anyone who applies and builds a control tower has mining rights on that turf, be they Clan, Neutral or Omni. Once that mine is open...it seems to me that the CoA could defend any Clan mine they choose, but attacks on Omni property (ie. mines) without provacation should be outlawed.
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    Former President and Founder,
    -Whisper's Edge-
    Former Member of the Atlantean CoT Clerical Staff

Socializer 73% Killer 53% Explorer 53% Achiever 20%

Kissysuzuki -
    WTB small enough brain and lack of imagination to be able to sit and solo hecklers for 5 days straight.

"The CoA is a clan allience, who have now formed a "legal" body, with boards, cabinets and so on. Now, who elected these board members? The CoA member clans it seems, cause there have not been any commen vote, nor voice heard from the other clans, outside the CoA.

As far as i can see, then the CoA have taken the power without a legal vote, and thats suppose to be democratic? It sounds more like a dictatorship to me, where only the strongest and richest get something to say. Its not far from what Omni-Tek does, your more like your enemy then your afflicted. "

Arila you so often get confused. The CoA is an alliance of Clan guilds. The governing body we are forming is only to give stability to the guilds within the Council. We are not trying to govern all the Clans in any way. So our decisions require no outside influence as they are strictly internal, and not affecting to anyone that isnt a member.

You still seem to think that the CoA wants to govern all the Clans. We only want to help people defend themselves. Our forming of a political body is simply to help us form alliances and conduct military actions properly.

So to answer your post. Anything that you hear going on with the CoA is strictly internal and has nothing to do with any Clan guild not in its ranks. Therefore no common vote from all the people is required as it does not effect everyone.

(That was very redundant, I hope you understand.)

And yes Vix unprovoked attacks should be outlawed. This was not made clear by the first Ares Pact. The reformed Ares Pact will have more contingencies. No specific details are available yet.

To clear up the "property rights" issues before they get out of control, the ICC undertook a full deregulation of the market for the mining and extraction of notum reserves situate in areas that were previously identified ((I'm assuming by Omni-Mine)) as possessing substantial unrefined quantities of notum.

This full deregulation effectively places every citizen - regardless of political affiliation - on equal footing and being no less entitled to engage in mining and extraction practices as any other citizen. The parcels of land available are thus, as Vixentrox stated, irrespective of politics.

Based on my preliminary analysis, the following exclusive property rights apply to an organization who acquires, whether as a "first mover" or from another organization, any parcel of mineable land:

1. the right to engage in the mining and extraction of notum reserves situate beneath that parcel of land, which, for greater certainty, includes:

(a) the right to erect any and all structures involved directly with that pursuit; and

(b) the right to erect any other structure of ancillary function to that pursuit, such as towers to conduct and support the defense of the structures mentioned in 1.(a) above.

Based on the exclusive nature of the above, it is quite reasonable to assume that the rights conferred also include the right not to be disturbed while conducting business, which includes a right not to be attacked by another party, regardless of political affiliation.

It is also interesting to note that, notwithstanding these exclusive rights, an organization cannot prevent the peaceful passage of another organization through its mining territory. Any unprovoked attack by the landowners against passersby is similarly illegal.

Oh, and before I go, I do hope the honourable members of the Council of Ares secured the 75% vote required from each, every and all constituent clans as set forth in Article 10 of the Ares Pact, failing which, I might add (and I quote from Article 10 of the Pact: "...the changes shall not be effected."

Alamexis we are still rewriting. It has not yet been propsed for approval. It could go through many drafts as other documents have.

So to answer your question, No we have not conducted a vote yet. But we also have no document to vote on. So until the document is finished and submitted there cant be a vote. But once there is a document you can be sure that we will have a nice vote on it. And if it requires further refinement we will be happy to do so.

Very nice Ben...

While I deplore the recent actions of a few rogue Clan orgs...
    I also applaud the efforts of Benjacrat and those striving for a peacefull Republic.

Should the CoA reform and rewrite its governing laws in such a way as to prevent such rogue aggressive actions as demonstrated recently by CoA member guilds, and put into place a mechanism for grievances by ANY org that may be wronged be they Clan, Neut or Omni, then I would be very interested in supporting the CoA in their efforts to unite all of Rubika under a peaceful, free and just Republic.

Thank you for your efforts Benjacrat.

Based on the admissions of yourself and various members of the Council of Ares, it is my understanding that the actual mechanisms and governing structure of the Council are currently considered of full binding force and effect to its constituents, even though the process for implementing such devices seems as if it is being willfully cast aside. That certainly does not bode well for republicanism, Benjacrat.

Although I do understand the Council of Ares is currently undertaking the often turbulent process of formation and establishment, it is this very absence of effective rules that has led to the recent conflict between the two executive bodies of the Council - the Cabinet and the Board of Guild Leaders.

Edit - to clarify the second paragraph above, the "conflict" arises because "two-headed creatures are quite inefficient by nature; one head tends to a nasty habit of gnawing on the other, and vice versa, and fails to chew the food in front..."
    Last edited by Ammicus; Dec 3rd, 2002 at 16:44:25.

Alamexis the CoA has cast nothing aside. The Ares Pact has not been changed yet. We are still awaiting a draft to be proposed. The reason for this reformation is because the power was unbalanced in the CoA. After the Ares Pact has been rewritten and we agree to its new structure the power will once again be balanced.

We are reforming to a more refined republic system that will contain more checks and balances to keep everything balanced.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast