Correct me if I'm wrong, but the first few articles by Gaute that talked about tower combat stated it worked like this...

You build a tower, in a 75% zone, 25% zone.. what ever. Anyway, the zone's supresson gass remains the same. It doesn't change. Considering all outdoor zones are 75% or lower, when you attacked a tower, the supresson didn't change, but you were flagged as open for PvP, and it lasted 4 hours. With this, the guild who owns the tower can teleport there and fight back, without having to worry about a supresson change.

If you ask me, this was perfect. We didn't have to worry about suddenly 90% of every outdoor zone becoming 100% supression (which btw Funcom is RUINING any chance of improving outdoor hunting, let alone ruining it for us who still enjoy it. At low lvl areas the towers are sparse, but in high lvl areas the zones are covered, hardly any area is not 100% anymore in the entire game.)

So why did things change? Why now do towers turn supression around them to 100% and only open themselves to attack a couple of hours out of each day, some not at all?

I'm really confused over this, I thought the original way was ingenous, promoting both tower combat but keeping areas huntable, making tower combat mean something, as you couldn't just take pot-shots at towers (which is happening all over right now) and not have any consiquences. It promoted working as a team to take towers down, because if you didn't, and weren't successful, you were an open target even in your own appartment.