Thread: Power leveling?

Power leveling?

This seemed liek the only place to whack this thread in 0 i know its a shady topic here in ao but when an eq player ask me about it what do i say ?

I know there was a way that this was done by players and was subsequently deemed an exploit and became a bannable offence.

I was unsure if this as i thought all power leveling was illegal in AO, My main question is there any way of doing it legally ? Or is it totally a no no ?

at 152 you would think i'd know it all but i dont so if you can help or if a dev sees this can you advise me please?

Cheers
    Inner Monkey
    Hurrey - Hurrey
    Abbel - Abbel
    "Originally post by __________Crin
    Here ends the story. And the Fixers found their purpose. They are the Bards of Rubi-Ka. Lying face down in the gutter after drinking themselves into oblivioin. Funcom knew it all along. They just wanted us to figure it out for ourselves. Way to go Funcom. Way to go Fixers."

powerleveling is allowed if you don't use any exploits. If you want to play 24-7 to powerlevel you are free to do it, wouldn't recommend it though

One relatively easy way to power level is to group with a bunch of twinks at the edge of your level range.

Another is to use a high level doc or MP pet. The doc or MP is not in your group and doesn't do damage, but heals you. You are essentially invulnerable even against Mobs well out of your normal capability range.

Both approaches can be use in PvP as well as in PvM.

The powerleveling exploit you are referring to:

High level <insert profession here, works best with NTs because of their AE ability> teams with low level nubi......

High level then goes out and hurts a bunch of grey mobs bringing them close to death. Well...grey to the high level, red to the low level.

High level would then bail the team. By doing this, high level loses all of the credit for the damage done because that damage was done while the high level was teamed....

Then high level would kill all, usually giving the newbie multiple levels worth of XP (until the mobs being killed become green/gray to the low level also)....

I don't know if this is the exact methodology as I have never once tried it, but the effects of the fix leaves enough to make a theory out of it....

What I want to know....was that the best fix they could have possibly come up with? That of wiping the damage dealt by a team should it split before the target(s) is/are dead? Why didn't they just disallow people who were too far apart in level to team in the first place????
    .: Naraya :.

i think flat out disallowing

would be to harsh.

i can think of about 3 reasons to make a team with a higher lvl char:

for buffing (lf sfa and ic plz)

for quests (fixer grid quest -> warp capable engineer)

for pvp (ahh our towers are under attack everybody come i grid us there).

what all these have in common though is that the players will give remarkably little to none about xp they earn while teamed.

maybe if you team a person out of mission range should just switch off xp for say a minute or so after the high level guy leaves.

dunno how complicated it would be to code it - i am glad that at least you can now loot the mobs again if a team member goes ld - it was a major hassle losing boss mob due to this!
    sept 03 - the day ao was keeled by sl.

gone now. byebye.

So as long as you can team with someone then its not powerleveling

AO actually warns you now if you group with someone who is to low to get exp and asks weather you want to proceed, so im guessing ...............

The higher level could team with person of the lowest range they can go to and then the lower level would get considerably more exp than if they were to go solo.

This seems the best way as it does not seems to be an exploit

(please feel free to correct me if im wrong)

Ty for the responses all much appreciated to not get roasted for posting this.

Also if any devs out there can clarigy i would be most grateful
    Inner Monkey
    Hurrey - Hurrey
    Abbel - Abbel
    Here ends the story. And the Fixers found their purpose. They are the Bards of Rubi-Ka. Lying face down in the gutter after drinking themselves into oblivioin. Funcom knew it all along. They just wanted us to figure it out for ourselves. Way to go Funcom. Way to go Fixers."

Re: i think flat out disallowing

Originally posted by Blackwing
    would be to harsh.

i can think of about 3 reasons to make a team with a higher lvl char:

for buffing (lf sfa and ic plz)

for quests (fixer grid quest -> warp capable engineer)

for pvp (ahh our towers are under attack everybody come i grid us there).

what all these have in common though is that the players will give remarkably little to none about xp they earn while teamed.

maybe if you team a person out of mission range should just switch off xp for say a minute or so after the high level guy leaves.

dunno how complicated it would be to code it - i am glad that at least you can now loot the mobs again if a team member goes ld - it was a major hassle losing boss mob due to this!
    These reasons kinda suck, and border on exploiting (these fall in the grey area of "semi-exploit")...
    Buffing... If you're not as high as the buffer, do you really NEED the buff? Do you think they really intended for lvl 5s to get IC?

Quests (i.e. fixer grid)... uhm, why not try actually doing the quest? it's fun and challenging. That was the best time I've had in the game. I really wish they would find a way to do away with this semi-exploit- they obviously did not intend it to be this way. This was supposed to be a bit of work for what I consider the most uber reward in the game.

PvP... sure would like to be able to attack this yellow person next to me, but I can't because he teamed with someone high level. Towers? you are supposed to be in the range of the tower... this gives you a reason to have a multitude of levels in your guild.... teaming to be able to attack is another semi-exploit.

-D
    ===============
    First Order S.S.S.C.
    ===============

Re: Re: i think flat out disallowing

Originally posted by Dropcid

These reasons kinda suck, and border on exploiting (these fall in the grey area of "semi-exploit")...
    Buffing... If you're not as high as the buffer, do you really NEED the buff? Do you think they really intended for lvl 5s to get IC?

Quests (i.e. fixer grid)... uhm, why not try actually doing the quest? it's fun and challenging. That was the best time I've had in the game. I really wish they would find a way to do away with this semi-exploit- they obviously did not intend it to be this way. This was supposed to be a bit of work for what I consider the most uber reward in the game.

PvP... sure would like to be able to attack this yellow person next to me, but I can't because he teamed with someone high level. Towers? you are supposed to be in the range of the tower... this gives you a reason to have a multitude of levels in your guild.... teaming to be able to attack is another semi-exploit.

-D
    err, nothing on his list is an exploit (or semi-exploit whatever that is) in my mind.

I am guessin semi-exploit=making good use of game mechanics

or at least I can replace "making good use of game mechanics" with semi-exploit and it seems to make sense to me anyway.

his teaming with higher level was to GET GRIDDED, not fight pvp.
    I am Dnastyone Official Broom pusher for The Professionals
    Painmage my newest funnest guy
    PHEAR ME RK1 Yazule IMMMM BACK

I would have to say that this is an typicall example of how an flame should not look like. You need to think things through and calm down before you try to write an flame... Im sorry but I would rate this flame with an 1. Aggression is to high, grammar and cursing isnt to well planned... Maybe he has an point somewhere in there but I dont even want to find it. - Centurion3

ROFLOL

Re: Re: Re: i think flat out disallowing

Originally posted by Yazule

err, nothing on his list is an exploit (or semi-exploit whatever that is) in my mind.

I am guessin semi-exploit=making good use of game mechanics

or at least I can replace "making good use of game mechanics" with semi-exploit and it seems to make sense to me anyway.

his teaming with higher level was to GET GRIDDED, not fight pvp.
    i'm not saying any of those things a really exploits, they just all have the same "Stink" of an exploit.

The reason I call it semi-exploit is that the line between an exploit and "making good use of game mechanics" is a very thin, very grey and hazy line. Was nuking through walls "making good use of game mechanics"? Zone crash dupe bug? treatment stacking? Tutoring bug? How about the old "q,q,q,q,q,q,q hammer trick"? Old skule "self-snare" run buff (oh man, I miss that one)? Hey, it's just using the game mechanics....

How does it go.. something like...
    Is it being used as funcom intended? Is it giving an unfair advantage? If so, it's probably an exploit
    or something...

-D
    ===============
    First Order S.S.S.C.
    ===============

I guess I see your post saying

"now that they have gotten rid of the major exploits, lets pick the worst of what is left and call it an exploit".

*shrug*

his reasons are completely not exploitive imho.

Just my opinion.
    I am Dnastyone Official Broom pusher for The Professionals
    Painmage my newest funnest guy
    PHEAR ME RK1 Yazule IMMMM BACK

I would have to say that this is an typicall example of how an flame should not look like. You need to think things through and calm down before you try to write an flame... Im sorry but I would rate this flame with an 1. Aggression is to high, grammar and cursing isnt to well planned... Maybe he has an point somewhere in there but I dont even want to find it. - Centurion3

ROFLOL

Powerleveling is a grey area in funcomms exloit library. Then again almost everythings an exploit since teh population stabalized.

heres easy powerleveling for newbies: will get you banned

Take one high level enfo and one group of lvl 20 kiddies.

High level enfo stands in the middle of a patch of lvl 75 mobs and mongos over and over. Mobs take 1 damage every time. Meanwhile newbie group #1 is killing off the mobs attacking said enfo. Newbie group gets mad xp with no risk. works with pretty much any high level doing anything to help low levels kill.

Doc chain healing a lowbie
    High meta sicking pet on lowbie
    anyone chain casting layers on newbies.

Hell I'll probably get banned just for saying it. PUT THE DAMNED BAN STICK AWAY.
    Bill "Rudeboyz" Clinton Nobel Prize Winning Engineer, Crusader for Duct Tape and Reclaim Inspector General of Rubi-Ka Gear

Freshman Bob "Spookyrudy" Dole Buff Dispenser, Sexy Atrox, Master of The Atrox Monkey Love Arts

just one thing drop...

a clan fixer now has to have both a yalm and alot of luck when he does "the damn quest".

considering the minimum level to do the quest is lvl 41 + whatever you need to cast reckless digi, i suggest a clan fixer better team with an engie.

trust me i have done the quest before the omni guards were beefed up. they hit a lvl 140ish char with 3.5-4k acs for roughly 500 a pop and thats no crit.

you can scroll and search a bit on the fixer forum as the smurfs were kinda upset when it was introduced - the fixer quest is a cakewalk for omnis compared to clanners (dunno if neutrals still get fired upon if so include them in the hell list).

about the rest i do not want to talk because going that road you sure want to ban clanners using omni med suits as well.
    sept 03 - the day ao was keeled by sl.

gone now. byebye.

Rude you have a really good idea there so a fixer could stand and area snare also maybe? alot of hate on that one.

So is that considered an exploit or would it be acceptable ? because in way ur not actually doing anything buit holding agro?

Thanks vey much for ur responses its apprecaited.
    Inner Monkey
    Hurrey - Hurrey
    Abbel - Abbel

Smile Powerleveling

If you think its fun Powerlevling, the best way is to twink your char, find other twinks (can be found in arena) I dont think its any fun playin lowbie either, espessialy (bad english) if you got a higher lvl char, then its good to hurry up to lvl 40 ca, then its startin to get phun, well this is my opinion about Powerlevling

Powerlevelling is simply levelling as much and as fast as you possibly can. By definition it involves no exploits or twinking. Both exploits and twinking would PL you faster but one will get you banned and the other requires INSANE ammounts of credits.

Powerlevelling for the regular joe means finding a good team and sticking with em for as long as you can.

/me watches helplesly as the topic disapears into obscurity

TY for all responses peeps, i guess when it comes to the power leveling no ones really sure so i guess this eq player may just have to play the normal way hehe

Hurrey 154 clan fixer signing off
    Inner Monkey
    Hurrey - Hurrey
    Abbel - Abbel

Hmm....I think I understand now..

This subject is touchy in my guild as well.We get complaints in our ranks about our members' low levels but when we asked to be PLed to help out with the tower defense it offended quite afew of them.
    So if I get a Doc to heal me while I fight I can get banned?Because that's how I was planned on trying it.BTW thanks for taking time to deal with this.everyone one on AO seems to see this as some sort of,for lack of a better word,"Taboo".

The Great NPC Race is enough of a bother even without the guards. I had a friend fixer grid me into Omni Ent twice (I'm Clan) and even then I LD'd, got stuck outside the zone border of Ent and almost missed the Dancing Fool drop. 10 minutes is NOT enough time when you have to deal with AO's crappy LD-causing long-zoning code, especially when you lose a very hard to come by nodrop item because of it.
    Originally posted by Whaambulance
    Hi.

This is singlehandedly the stupidest post I have EVER read on these forums. Congradulations.
    'Balancing' Nanos Will Remain Imbalanced Vs. Old Nanos - Because We Said So!

O Gaute, Gaute! Wherefore art thou Gaute?
    Deny thy nerfs and refuse thy lame design decisions;
    Or, if thou wilt not, be but on the forums,
    And I'll no longer be a whiner.

Okay this pisses me off, Listen When people say Im going to power level its not meaning there gonna go and exploit xp out of the game, When i say im gonna power level i mean im twink my toon and go and level.

it usally works best when you have a group that you can do that with.
    ~I am the Virtual Virus

Hehehe... Let me guess, you are an Omni player and you did the quest prior to 14.7?

For a clanner, the fixer-grid quest is a nightmare. If you use the normal grid to get to Omni Entertainment, you die before the zone fully loads and you end up at the reclaim. The only way to do the quest these days is with the help of a fixer who has the team grid nano.
    "On the brink of the dark he stood, with only the dream of the cities, the million books, the spectral images of the people he had loved, who had loved him, whom he had known and lost. They will not come again. They never will come back again."

-Thomas Wolfe (1900-1938), Look Homeward, Angel