Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The plot is a problem

Oh...and following on from MrTeatime's post...

How many times have you heard in movies and books copies or variations on Churchills WWII speech? Or variations on the American "Independance" speech? It's not because they lack originality, but rather because they are great speeches full of inspiration!

You Americans should be proud that people the world over think that your Presidents "War on Terrorism" speech is so inspirational and worthy the history books, and being forever remembered even in the forms of Movies, books and yes...even games!! And really you should not be bashing anyone that thinks and does this just because they believe in what your President said...
    "Maybe Funcom should move 1000 AO players into Clon****, lock down the zone and make dyeable armor to attract more players?"

A DaoC player defending AO

Angry Responsibility

You have to understand that what Funcom did was truly irresponsible on their part.

The sensitivity of the real life events on 9-11 only happened 4 months ago. A year has not even gone by. Had they done the same thing 2 years later from that date some would recognize it and might or might not like it, but it wouldn't be so fresh in most of our memories.

It is by this reasoning that most businesses and even hollywood will not air or push these incidents in an insensitive manner. Time heals. Time is the only thing that heals a nation affected by such a horrible disaster.

Anyone who tries to compare what happened on 9-11 with other tragic world events forgets one single thing. Almost every current movie, every current advertisement, every notable view where NYC was concerned, showed the World Trade Centers. It was a solid beacon and something that showed strength Globally. So much of the "world" were affected because of how many "world" businesses were in there at the time. I worked one mile from the World Trade Center when I arrived to work the morning of 9-11.

Some people will never know the fear you feel when an entire city the size of New York gets shut down like it did that day. I was told by corporate leaders in my building that we would be stuck there for up to a week and being diabetic I had to scrounge for medication. All the while hoping that friends would be safe. So many courageous people rushed to medical centers to give blood immediately following not caring for their own safety to do this. Everyone rushed about trying to hug each other and so many people were crying it was just unbelievable how such a large city could come together so fast.

Funcom issued a sympathetic statement regarding the tragedy and yet knowing the speeches and statements of our President they still *copied* a portion and made it resemble something a few if not most of us remember to vividly.

Time heals a nation. Time heals people. 4 months is not enough time.

Funcom, recheck your thinking and divert the storyline to something amiable to the player community please.

Sincerely,

Drabin
    President of R.O.M.E.
    101st Atrox NT

Angry

"People play games to escape reality, we come to RK so that we can escape the trials of our every day lives and have some fun away from it all. "

Maybe that's YOUR reason to play games, but PLEASE start your sentence with "I" and not "People" then.

If you wanna escape the every-day trials, why did ya choose Anarchy Online as your Online-Game then ? It was always clear, that its all about a conflict between 2 (+) Factions, it was war, there is war and there will be war !

September 11th was a tragedy and may people suffer even today, but that's no reason to claim Funcom for their Story-Settings.

Terrorism is nothing new, it's a sad element of this world since ages. There is only 1 diffrence since September 11th: YOUR houses got bombed and not those of people far away somewhere in the world, u don't care about.

So do you really think it's fair, to play supreme judge here ? Most of you didn't even care a **** about Terrorism some months ago, and now you claim Funcom, just because your pink and happy world got smashed at September 11th ?!

Think about it.
    Former NT Professional and post count farmer.

Goodbye everyone, it has been a blast.

Re: Responsibility

Originally posted by Drabin
    You have to understand that what Funcom did was truly irresponsible on their part.

The sensitivity of the real life events on 9-11 only happened 4 months ago. A year has not even gone by. Had they done the same thing 2 years later from that date some would recognize it and might or might not like it, but it wouldn't be so fresh in most of our memories.

It is by this reasoning that most businesses and even hollywood will not air or push these incidents in an insensitive manner. Time heals. Time is the only thing that heals a nation affected by such a horrible disaster.

Anyone who tries to compare what happened on 9-11 with other tragic world events forgets one single thing. Almost every current movie, every current advertisement, every notable view where NYC was concerned, showed the World Trade Centers. It was a solid beacon and something that showed strength Globally. So much of the "world" were affected because of how many "world" businesses were in there at the time. I worked one mile from the World Trade Center when I arrived to work the morning of 9-11.

Some people will never know the fear you feel when an entire city the size of New York gets shut down like it did that day. I was told by corporate leaders in my building that we would be stuck there for up to a week and being diabetic I had to scrounge for medication. All the while hoping that friends would be safe. So many courageous people rushed to medical centers to give blood immediately following not caring for their own safety to do this. Everyone rushed about trying to hug each other and so many people were crying it was just unbelievable how such a large city could come together so fast.

Funcom issued a sympathetic statement regarding the tragedy and yet knowing the speeches and statements of our President they still *copied* a portion and made it resemble something a few if not most of us remember to vividly.

Time heals a nation. Time heals people. 4 months is not enough time.

Funcom, recheck your thinking and divert the storyline to something amiable to the player community please.

Sincerely,

Drabin
    President of R.O.M.E.
    101st Atrox NT
    I really sympathise you here Drabin, it must have been awful for you...

You need to remember a few things here though. AO is a worldwide community...not an American community. Yes the events effected the world, and brought it to a standstill. But before 9-11 I didn't even know what WTC was. It's unfortuante that FC's quote/story is similar to 9-11, but it is only a similarity. America is not the centre of the world, and every form of media cannot revlove around America.

In my lifetime, I have lost count of the amount of bombings we have had in England. The number of times our PrimeMinisters have nearly been bombed is more than once. And I have been in a number of bomb scares myself. (I cannot even remember the amount).

That aside I do agree with you point about time heals. However I don't think FC need to change anything about their story because of what happened. And my point for this is...can you tell me how many terrorist actions there have been around the world since 9-11? America is not the only nation to have suffered. And the terrorist timeline did not begin on that day...

FC are doing fine. The game is about war and conflict. And either will always lead to acts of terrorism... and Anarchy...

The only daft thing about this...is that I am suprised FC didn't this this reaction coming...
    Last edited by Hiero; Jan 18th, 2002 at 15:53:53.
    "Maybe Funcom should move 1000 AO players into Clon****, lock down the zone and make dyeable armor to attract more players?"

For the clanners who think they are playing terrorists:

Ross is talking about the Dust Brigade, a storyline guild that has no players in it (there is a guild with the same name, but that is not the real Dust Brigade). Both the Clans and Omni-Tek will most likely have to fight the Brigade, because they want to destroy everyone who doesn't agree 100% with them.

Yep. War and killing in a game is fine and dandy until it hits close to home. Welcome to an awareness of your own duplicitous nature. You want to argue with this, but just stop. You kill people in these games and love doing it. But that's ok as long as it's complete fiction. Well, it is still complete fiction, so feel free to kill away. Kill kill kill. kill kill kill. kill kill kill.

But it's ok it's just fiction.

And you know what? It IS just fiction. Everything you kill in the game is a metaphor for a problem, or whatever you make of it. That is why I originally wrote "Don't go here." Why drag RL into it. So what, there are parallels.

I dunno, I agree the art direction was for shiit allowing that to be released. You people make a point, and one well taken. FunCom you are bad bad bad. Ok, but we knew that already. Funcom are NOT tactful, nor insiteful, and have eaten their own feet so many times I've lost count. Yah, and the sky is blue, too. As far as I'm concerned this is just another post for my postcount. thanks for the subject though.

Thumbs down Totally Agree

I don't pretend to understand the reasons for which Funcom decided to use the current themes of 9/11 and plaster them all over the game but I will tell them this:

This is NOT FUN!

This is NOT FUNNY!

This is NOT APPROPRIATE!

But this is:

OFFENSIVE

SHOCKING

PAINFUL

I understand that FC staff is in Norway. I don't know what their (FC's) personal feelings towards America or Americans are. I don't suspect them (or accuse them) of harboring any anti-american feelings or anything that insane. However, I do expect them (as a business) to be sensitive to the feelings of their customers because it is simply good business practice.

Continued behavior such as this will REALLY turn people off from you and your products. I've supported this game from day ONE but the decision to use the term "war on terrorism" is enough to push me away if it continues. Enough said.

Atilius

hahahhaha. Omg too funny. "Attilus the Hun" and terrorizer" outraged by the insensitivity of a game company. You guys just don't get it do you. It IS fun for you, or you wouldn't be playing it now would you. So play the game and like it, or quit! If it's really that offensive quit now. Cancel today. The damage is done. Funcom has shown you they're completely insensitive. Ok quit. See ya. Can I have yer stuff?

Oh no but you won't quit will you. You can't. muahahahaha.

Capt how dare you compare President Bush to a corrupt, kill-workers-in-mines-doesnt-matter corporation.

No matter what side your on, AO was setup so that the Clan side was the ones fighting for freedom and equality and the OT to be the oppressive regime, the evil guys.

and then you go compare Bush to the evil guys?????

People, if you wanna be offended, be offended by that.

Besides that, Capt, you completely miss the point. Doesnt matter wether this was planned or not by FC, what matters is that people get upset by something so obvious like a few words spoken in countless movies, stories and now by a president.
    U bet its exactly like crying fire.

to capt: If you dont know who Emperor Nero was or how much the fire destroyed, then read it, twas a bigger incident than that of the WTC...

America is not the center of the world...

<snip>America is not the centre of the world, and every form of media cannot revlove around America. </snip>

It would only be arrogant to assume America is the center of the world but "English" is the standard trade language of the world. All commerce is revolved around English and The World Trade Center was centered around World Banking commerce as well as International Trade.

I simply stated that what happened affected a "key" element of America.

The pentagon, our leadership stronghold - the WTC, our international icon both for New York City and for International Trade, was attacked. Funcom showed a lot of insensitivity barking out statements related to this incident and then pretending to say they created this from day one? Maybe an initial plot and turmoil surrounding the "Dust Brigade" and some of the events within AO but even the timeline is incomplete and has been for some time. They never created the terms "War on terrorism" - not before Bush. The manner in which they did it and the short time frame in which they did it shows that they liked what Bush said, they enjoyed how it played out in their version of the story and they used it.

Regardless of everything, each person is entitled to their own opinion. Don't tell me about the act of terrorism around the world though. I've known about it since the first time I stepped into a U.S. Military Uniform. I'm a former 12B10 Combat Engineer and familiar with all forms of demolitions and explosive devices from anti-personnel, to anti-tank, to urban warfare. I've trained for the very thing that America has feared so long now. The fact that the next war would possibly be inside our own streets.

England didn't have its royal compound attacked or threatened. France didn't have a plane crash into the Eiffel tower. Germany didn't have its autoban closed for a week.

You can't compare other terrorist activities to what happened on 9-11. Nothing of this magnitude where terrorism is concerned has ever happened. That is not an opinion. Its a fact.

I'm still waiting on the letter of apology from Funcom. And if no one knows why everyone is upset, I'll put together a darn good reason why shortly.

Drabin
    President of R.O.M.E.
    101st Atrox NT

Who cares? I don't see Israelis complaining, or the Irish, or the Indians, or the Columbians etc. Using your logic, using terrorism in a stortline PERIOD would be inappropriate.

The fact is, the story was appropriate before Sept 11 when terrorist acts were being perpetrated all over the world, even against the US. It defies logic to say that after Sept 11 it is inapropriate. If the world trade center were still standing, would you be complaining about FC's insensitivity toward Israelis? Afterall FAR, FAR more Israelis have been killed by terrorist acts than have Americans. There has been a war on terrorism in that country for decades.

How about we remove all refereces to political suppression, out of decency toward the hundreds of opposition supporters being murdered in Zimbabwe?

Or remove all references to facism out of respect for the 200,000 people who were killed by a facist dictatorship in East Timor (which has U.S. military support btw.)?

You people need to get a ****ing grip.

Exclamation Poor show chap

Ming your pathetic. Not everyone here is a PK. I dont get off on beating other peoples avatars up. If you want to tell me this game is about about killing people because I kill bothackers then you might want to check and see what excatly your obsession for killing people online is based on. 3% of the people poled on this board think that PK is the best thing about this game. Not a whole lot of people doing it. So shut up, your making yourself look like a freak with all the BLOOD BLOOD stab kill crap. Its apparently only an issue for you.

People are still diying from stray bombs. Cowards who think they are marters are still trying to kill people who cant defend themseves. The one catch phrase that has been uttered over and over again to symbolize this time and effort to stop this is The War on Terrorism. Fc crossed a line, Even Hollywood has enough common sense to not touch this one.

Do not assosiate People diying in real life with people diying in a role playing game. How is that asking much.

Yes america isnt the center of the world you twit. People have died all over to the bastards that are being hunted now. People are also diying from that persuit. Brittan and America are equal partners on this one, along with a pretty much most of NATO. Its in poor taste to make a mockery of the events that are still being carried out to stop RL terrorism. Everyone over here would like the war with the IRA to stop. That is a Unilateral situation with england and Ireland. Not much we can do except send prayers. Which a lot of people have done. Im sure the same sentiment was sent for the people of 9-11 who were effected.

Yes its a game. I dont care if that exact statment was planed to be said 100 years ago by Ross. It should never of been considered after bush tied it to the current events of the news. As have every leader of a country under Nato.

I strongly dissagree with the originally post.

This is a story line about war. No one feels that offended by the fact that theres 20-30 wars on this planet, that bear resembelence on AO:s storyline..untill it bore resembelence to the war USA fights...

Its been stated all along that the clanners are terrorists, so whenever there were to be a war against the clanners, it was kinda obvious there had to be a "war against terrorism".

Then again, i dont really care that much anymore...
    Father Chagidiel
    High priest in The Church of OmniTek

I totally agree with MikeWeather.

I understand that the Sept 11 has been a tough day for all you US ppl, but terrorism has not began with that day. Its been going on for ages and there are populations that should be more disgusted about Philip Ross statement than Americans.

Sorry, I know its not a nice thing to hear, but it's a fact.

Lets try not to be ipocrit.
    Last edited by Armageddon X; Jan 18th, 2002 at 18:30:28.

Ming your pathetic. Not everyone here is a PK. I dont get off on beating other peoples avatars up. If you want to tell me this game is about about killing people because I kill bothackers then you might want to check and see what excatly your obsession for killing people online is based on. 3% of the people poled on this board think that PK is the best thing about this game. Not a whole lot of people doing it. So shut up, your making yourself look like a freak with all the BLOOD BLOOD stab kill crap. Its apparently only an issue for you.

Umm.. what exactly is the difference between an avatar and an NPC in regards to killing? And no I'm not a freak who gets off on killing. I was making a point perhaps too subtle for you to grasp. You've got people with names like "Ikillwomenandchildren" screaming bloodymurder about FC's apparent insensitivity.

And did I say something about america being the center of the world? No? Then learn to read before you spout off and start calling names. You've got a temper problem sonny.

My point was this.. if killing and death is offensive to you then you are pretty sick and deluded if you're offended by JUST this latest batch of storyline. There is that simple enough? You want me to make a dick and jane version? Semiphor? Cue cards?

Angry The similarities *marked*

Philip Ross Releases Statement, Promises War on Terrorism.

President Bush releases Statement, Promises War on Terrorism.

____

This state of affairs cannot and will not continue. The Omni-Tek Corporation will not stand idly by while the lives of employees and fellow citizens remain at risk. - Philip Ross

The United States will not stand idly by while the lives of its fellow Americans remain at risk from acts of terrorism. - President Bush

____

And still everyone focuses on the same old tired rhetoric, turning this into a clans-versus-Omni-Tek situation, refusing once again to face reality; that we are faced with a new and potentially deadly threat to our society. - statement issued by TAG editor today.

Finally, as the President said in his remarks this morning, freedom and democracy are under attack. The American people need to know that we are facing a different enemy than we have ever faced. - statement released in the September 11th Press Briefing from Ari Fleischer.

____

It's a war against terrorism, against radicals and extremists who treat freedom and justice with contempt.
    I am certain that the Council will cooperate in our hunt for the murderers who hide behind false claims of fighting for the clan cause,
    "Until then, I ask everyone to remain calm, and not to incite to more violence. If any gun should be raised, it should be against the terrorists and those who support their cause - Philip Ross

I also want to speak tonight directly to Muslims throughout the world: We respect your faith.
    The terrorists are traitors to their own faith, trying, in effect, to hijack Islam itself. The enemy of America is not our many Muslim friends; it is not our many Arab friends. Our enemy is a radical network of terrorists, and every government that supports them. --President Bush

----

Does all of this somehow sound vaguely familiar to many of us? I happen to feel it does.

As for time --

President Bush put it best when he said the following :

In time, perhaps, we will mark the memory of September the 11th in stone and metal -- something we can show children as yet unborn to help them understand what happened on this minute and on this day.
    But for those of us who lived through these events, the only marker we'll ever need is the tick of a clock at the 46th minute of the eighth hour of the 11th day. We will remember where we were and how we felt. We will remember the dead and what we owe them. We will remember what we lost and what we found.
    And in our time, we will honor the memory of the 11th day by doing our duty as citizens of this great country, freedom's home and freedoms defender. God bless. -- Bush

_____
    Funcom want to give it some time and change *your* version of the story now?

Thanks,

Drabin
    President of R.O.M.E.
    101st Atrox NT

Thumbs down Ming

You ARE pathetic. The reasons why the term "War on Terrorism" is offensive have already been explained. No further explanations need be made. Also, I made a statement about "continued" actions such as those being a catalyst to turning people off from the game.

If your pea brain doesn't get it then you are too much of loser to understand anything of importance. Pay attention and wake up!
    Last edited by Atilius the Hun; Jan 18th, 2002 at 19:14:02.

I'm wondering if some of the people responding to this thread even read the objections before they started thier rants. This isn't about player motivations for playing (however sick some of them are) or the history of terrorism or many of the other deep left field topics people are dragging in here. It's pretty plain and simple:

Many of us are sick and tired of playing yesterday's headlines as our current "story plot" and want this trend to cease. Some because it's morally lacking and others because it's just uninspired and uncreative (both for me personally). To those who are too hard headed to see how very similar it is, do the names need to rhyme before you get it? And the next person who tells me it can't be so because the story was written years ago... seek help, but not from Ms Cleo this time. It's not just the latest quote, this is part of a trend that's been going on for some time, think about it.

There are alot of valid points in here about many things, most of which have little or nothing to do with the situation. I don't have a problem with pvp, with players rp'ing terrorists (or freedom fighters depending on your view), or with things being bombed. What I do care about is seeing these things happen in a GAME (look up the word) such a short time after their real life couterparts, before even all of the bodies have been recovered.

Yes, there are bombings, killings, and other assorted horrors taking place every day around the world and they are also mirrored in this game, but they are much more generalised and impersonal (not many different ways to portray an A vs B conflict). This is a very specific reflection of an event many are still grieving over.

Imagine a new quake mod coming out a couple months (ancient history some tell me) after your children were shot to death in the worst school shooting rampage in recent history that actually put you in the shoes of the killers, maybe they'll even use (pure coincidence) the time line of the killings. Still just a game?

"You ask, what is our policy? I say it is to wage war by land, sea, and air. War with all our might and with all the strength God has given us, and to wage war against a monstrous tyranny never surpassed in the dark and lamentable catalogue of human crime."

- Winston Churchill

This state of affairs cannot and will not continue. The Omni-Tek Corporation will not stand idly by while the lives of employees and fellow citizens remain at risk. - Philip Ross

The United States will not stand idly by while the lives of its fellow Americans remain at risk from acts of terrorism. - President Bush

----
    You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word. It is victory. Victory at all costs - Victory in spite of all terrors - Victory, however long and hard the road may be, for without victory there is no survival. Let that be realized. No survival for the British Empire, no survival for all that the British Empire has stood for, no survival for the urge, the impulse of the ages, that mankind shall move forward toward his goal.

Winston Churchill

It's a war against terrorism, against radicals and extremists who treat freedom and justice with contempt.
    I am certain that the Council will cooperate in our hunt for the murderers who hide behind false claims of fighting for the clan cause,
    "Until then, I ask everyone to remain calm, and not to incite to more violence. If any gun should be raised, it should be against the terrorists and those who support their cause - Philip Ross

I also want to speak tonight directly to Muslims throughout the world: We respect your faith.
    The terrorists are traitors to their own faith, trying, in effect, to hijack Islam itself. The enemy of America is not our many Muslim friends; it is not our many Arab friends. Our enemy is a radical network of terrorists, and every government that supports them. --President Bush

----------
    ------

Yes, FC maybe were a little rash with their choice of words. But not because they are a bad choice of words. But because the failed to realise just how badly people fail to distinguish between fantasy and reality.

I can make many, many more comparisons if you wish. I have family that still remember Churchills words. Okay maybe it was a long time ago. But it is still very real to them. WTC is neither the first nor the most recent act of terrorism.

Hollywood put movies on hold. Hollywood is American...I hate what happened. But get over yourseleves...not everything revolves around American events...and the rest of the world has to move on.

That said. I perfectly understand how people have found offence in FC's words. But it is not personal...
    Last edited by Hiero; Jan 18th, 2002 at 19:21:25.

...ok Attilius the Hun. You peacemonger, you.

Of course I'm pathetic. Pea brain? Sure that too. Understand anything of importance? Nope not a thing.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast