Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: you dont need to buy the CD of NW

you dont need to buy the CD of NW

Actually all the elements for Notum Wars were downloaded in patch 14.7.

All you need is the actication key. So if you dont want to pay shipping fees, find a friend to buy the game in a shop, get the key number and refund him the purchase price (you could even do that in RK crédits =))

That s all folks, enjoy=)

Apparently, you're wrong. There's also some new sound-stuff, new graphics extensions (longer view, better sky) etc. that was *NOT* included in 14.7.

This, according to April Jones who is Funcom's PR manager. I don't have the exact thread, but it's on this particular board.

Slapster: From my information, you are correct, but, its not like you loose sound or anything, its only a few extra added benefits with the cd, nothing that hinders you from being a "flagged" notum wars member, or this is what I am told.

You still get all the game mechanics goodies, just not the little sounds and graphics, which, really is one of the biggest things AO has going for it atm.
    "I got a snake man" -The Bafoon

Well try to activate only with the key and check...you might be surprised...

You want to get sued?

Not to mention it's illegal and Funcom could sue you.

Unless the company authorizes it your breaking the law.

huh?
    engie + ghetto crowd control + no healing + lowest hp + worst evades + bot who is never around. = worst prof in game

Bump for engie fix

How you break the law ? You just activate your account and that's it. And the key is from a copy that has been bought, so what ?

Loophole huh?

Because in America it's a federal copyright law. You can't alter
    the contents of a games distribution without prior authorization from the company. It's a hack and yes it's illegal. Are feds going to arrest you for it? No. But you could face a civil trial.

Also by clicking Accept just once you accept those terms.

Vash,

Stop being so US-centric.

Funcom isn't an American company, and hence doesn't work under American law. It's actullay under Swizz law, last time I checked (Funcom GmBH in Switzerland).

Question huh?

U mean that the funcom division in switserland is under swiss law? Or is all FC activities under swiss law?

If thats what u mean: Why is it under swiss law? Funcom is norwegian. So ok, I live in Norway - then if i have a quarrel with FC - we use swiss law?... lol.
    =Casual is the name of the game=

copyright agreement?

If I have a friend in NYC purchase me a copy of NW this is NOT breaking the agreement. If I then say hey open my copy of NW and read off the key, this is not breaking the agreement. I can play it off that cd key until I the game arrives via ups from him. What agreement is this breaking?

Re: Loophole huh?

Originally posted by Vasherion
    the contents of a games distribution without prior authorization from the company. It's a hack and yes it's illegal. Are feds going to arrest you for it? No. But you could face a civil trial.

Vash,
    gee whiz, read up on your agency law while your at it.

If I have someone buy the game for me, they are my agent, just like the retail distributors are for Funcom. You don't break copyright law by not making illegal copies of the game.

If Funcom wants to alter their licensing agreement to read: you can't use an agent to purchase the software, then fine, but until then, go for it.

Re: Loophole huh?

Vash,
    I can be happy that i don't live in the US then. Here in my country you are allowed to buy software and sell it if you dont want it anymore. Very weird, so in general you are telling me that all US citizins are not allowed to sell the software they bought if they dont want it anymore ? Really weird laws you have there.... Are you allowed to sell your Mercedes there or do you have to write a letter to the manufactor 1st and ask him if you can sell your car ?

Regards,
    Jannerik

No, either A) He misunderstood what you said, and thought you implied that you and your friend (and whoever else) would use the same CD key, or B) He's on drugs and has no clue what he's talking about.

lol

Only talking about the part where original poster said.

"you don't need to buy the CD of NW".

Other people pointed out the details.

Re: lol

Only talking about the part where original poster said.

"you don't need to buy the CD of NW".

Other people pointed out the details.
    sorry to jump on ya Vash. Yes, that one statement would be copyright if people were trying to share their keys. Like that would work though (FC prolly checks for duplicates)

Wake up and go to school!

Originally posted by Slapster
    Stop being so US-centric.

Funcom isn't an American company, and hence doesn't work under American law. It's actullay under Swizz law, last time I checked (Funcom GmBH in Switzerland).
    Ok moron, listen up. If Funcom has a company that resides within the U.S., and since the American Funcom Company does operate in the U.S., U.S. Federal Law does apply.

How about instead of guessing what the law is, go check it first. Per the Digital Millenium Copyright Act of 1997, the use of a product in such a way not authorized by the Manufacturer (maybe you should read the EULA instead of just clicking "I Accept"), is an act of Piracy. Throw out your opinion of what Piracy is and learn what Piracy is in the eyes of the law.

So long as Funcom has a company in the U.S., U.S. Federal Law applies.

'Nuf Said, Uber-Idiot!

Soulmartyr
    Last edited by Soulmartyr; Dec 1st, 2002 at 08:36:43.

Even if it is illegal (which I doubt), there's no way anyone would actually prosecute over it. Do you seriously believe that Funcom would consider something like this important enough to go to the trouble and expense of hiring a lawyer and going to court? That's silly.

Originally posted by Dinfive
    Even if it is illegal (which I doubt), there's no way anyone would actually prosecute over it. Do you seriously believe that Funcom would consider something like this important enough to go to the trouble and expense of hiring a lawyer and going to court? That's silly.
    You're right, they wouldn't come after you in court, they'd just shut off your account for good.

Ok moron, listen up. If Funcom has a company that resides within the U.S., and since the American Funcom Company does operate in the U.S., U.S. Federal Law does apply.

How about instead of guessing what the law is, go check it first. Per the Digital Millenium Copyright Act of 1997, the use of a product in such a way not authorized by the Manufacturer (maybe you should read the EULA instead of just clicking "I Accept"), is an act of Piracy. Throw out your opinion of what Piracy is and learn what Piracy is in the eyes of the law.

So long as Funcom has a company in the U.S., U.S. Federal Law applies.

'Nuf Said, Uber-Idiot!

Soulmartyr

LISTEN!!

We are NOT copying anything. It doesnt matter what country we are in! Im sending my friend money to purchase the game for ME! Therefore, I am purchasing the game.

I will not have the sound, graphics features until the game gets here, but I PAID for the cd key, therefore, im gonna use it.

So shut the heck up child.

Hirum
    "I got a snake man" -The Bafoon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast