Thread: Remove the range checks from lockpicks

Remove the range checks from lockpicks

Well, the title pretty much says it all. Let me just put down my 2 cents on why it should be removed ( Then the flaming can commence ).

My main is an agent, and before the the patch that instituted the range checks all he could do well was sneak high ql missions. Now, and this isn't pissing and whining, this is the absolute truth, he can't do anything well. I made so he could sneak the highest missions he could roll effectively. He can't PvP ( lost every match ever had even against the lowest levels ), he can't solo a mission to save his life, except for doing damage he's a drag on a teams doc. And I don't have enough IPRs to change what he is.

The ONE thing he did well was sneak missions. And that's because without the range checks I could be creative in how to open doors and not be spotted. Now, it's a " Close you eyes, use the lockpick and hope for the best". This is because alot of the missions I roll tend to have more than 50% of the doors locked and 90% of those locked doors have 2 or more mobs guarding them. Now, before the patch, I'd have fun trying to figure out where to hide so I could unlock the door and not get spotted, it added an element of strategy.

Since the patch that added the range checks, every door I unlock means a trip to the reclaim. You've totaly sucked the fun out of sneaking missions.

I'm sure I'll hear that the reason for the range check was because there was an exploit linked to it ( man, everything's becoming an exploit ). So, if you can't do that, make a special lockpick that you'd have to do a quest for that doesn't have the range check. Or, make it so an agent doesn't come out of sneak after unlocking a door unless it was trapped ( though, I have a feeling most people won't like that idea )

I'm sorry for this rant but, I've just died for the seventh time sneaking a mission I used to be able to do without dying or only one or two deaths and it kinda has me a little mad ( can ya tell? ).

Let the rebuttals commence,
    Thews
    Seems like the classy thing to do would be not to draw attention to it.

Have you tried use another mission setting ? I use full Bad, Order, Money (the other 3 in the middle) and I rarely see a locked door
    Funcom Content Designer

How to get started on TestLive
    How to write bug reports

A lot of small steps make one giant leap forward.
    "Patchnotes: Nerfed all characters named Metaing, they where too powerful."
    To bug or not to bug, that is the question
    Run like a man or Die like a woman

_Karanya
    Set Open vs. Hidden to full "Open" and you'll get less/no locks.

--K

Talking Sorry

You're both right, this post was just me venting for getting killed so much in a mission.

Though, I'd like to bring up some questions:

1.) What's the point of having the range check on the lockpick. This isn't a rant or anything, I'm just curious.

2.) why does turning around while you're casting stop the casting?. I mean, it's not like you're going anywhere, just having a look around.

3.) Why isn't there a 'Drunk' emote?. I mean, if you can drink why not get drunk and stumble around

( okay, the last one was cause I have this thing with always putting down a minimum of 3 choices. Disreguard if you like )

Anyway, sorry again for the previous rant, I was being irrational.

Ciao!,
    Thews

the answer to #1 is people standing outside the range of a trapped chest (obviously a RR does not matter) so that they dont get the negative effect (damage, blind)
    I am Dnastyone Official Broom pusher for The Professionals
    Painmage my newest funnest guy
    PHEAR ME RK1 Yazule IMMMM BACK

I would have to say that this is an typicall example of how an flame should not look like. You need to think things through and calm down before you try to write an flame... Im sorry but I would rate this flame with an 1. Aggression is to high, grammar and cursing isnt to well planned... Maybe he has an point somewhere in there but I dont even want to find it. - Centurion3

ROFLOL

Another 'point' to the lockpick range would of course be logic. How exactly does one use a tool on a lock when they are all the way across the room, behind a rock or whatever? Logic tells you to manipulate the lockpick on a door or chest, you would have to be within arm's reach of it.

I'm an Agent too (level 88), sneaking is my speciality. When I roll my 100% sneaks (QL 167 missions), it's at full Bad, Money, Stealth, Physical, Order, and 50% on the Open/Closed slider. I get very few locked doors, maybe 2 or 3 in a mission tops, and very rarely do those prevent me from gaining my objective. The other benefits to these settings is I never get monster type mobs, always humans. I appreciate that, since critters have much higher perceptions than people.

So I suggest playing with your settings, 'til you find ones that work for you. Although it took a little adjustment in my play style, I support and approve of the lockpick range. It's still generous enough to let me do what I need to.
    "Oh she wants to conquer the world completely
    but first she'll conquer me discreetly
    The female of the species is more deadly than the male." - Space

Originally posted by Tzanntiel
    Another 'point' to the lockpick range would of course be logic. How exactly does one use a tool on a lock when they are all the way across the room, behind a rock or whatever? Logic tells you to manipulate the lockpick on a door or chest, you would have to be within arm's reach of it.
    Are you assuming that the locks being used are pin and tumbler locks. I'd think 29K+ years in the future they'd have done away with such things.

Even so, you'd think someone would have developed a laser lockpick to do it from afar .

Now that that's responded too. How in the name of everything sweet and squishy do you lock hanging vines?. Is it just me that's kinda wondering that. I laughed when I did my first cave mission.

Have fun,
    Thews

Originally posted by Thews
    Now that that's responded too. How in the name of everything sweet and squishy do you lock hanging vines?. Is it just me that's kinda wondering that.
    really good genetics
    ~I am the Virtual Virus

Hehe. Without a range check, I could open every chest from the entrance hallway. Even my Doc could sneak missions under those conditions.