Thread: Rewrite of Today's "News" Item

Rewrite of Today's "News" Item

Rather than b--t-ch and complain, and go on an absolute tirade at today's "news" story update, I have instead rewritten the article, to incorporate information that should have been in there for it to make any sense at all in the context of recent developments. The sections of material difference that I have added are underlined for ease of reference.

If anyone thinks I should add/change/delete anything, post it here. I plan on emaling it to FC on Monday, given that they are undoubtedly far too busy to review it today.

ICC Loosens OT’s Hold on the Notum

Rubi-Ka Headline Services

10:00 November 29, 29476 RST

ANDROMEDA (RKHS) – The repercussions of Omni-Tek’s revocation of the Tir Accord are reverberating throughout Rubi-Ka and the entire galaxy today, as the ICC yesterday released the conclusions of its investigation into Omni-Tek’s decision to discard the revolutionary peace accord.

In a press conference yesterday, ICC Secretary General Isidra Derousse announced some of the restrictions enumerated in the Lease governing notum mining on Rubi-Ka will be lifted. This new system will be implemented immediately and will allow private organisations of all factions to mine notum in designated areas defined by the ICC. There are approximately 200 parcels of land available, all of which had been previously identified by Omni-Mine as containing substantial unrefined quantities of notum.

This deregulation effectively ends Omni-Tek's absolute, unchallenged monopoly on the valuable resource. However, Omni-Tek will still control the refining and shipping of any notum extracted by these private organizations, in order to minimize the economic loss endemic of the duplication of these two capital-intensive functions.

It has also been confirmed that closed-doors, high-level negotiations between the ICC and Omni-Tek have been ongoing for approximately two weeks. It was at that time that Omni-Tek was informed of the ICC’s conclusions, and the resulting deregulation penalty, and quickly engaged the machinations of Omni-Reform. Until now, the motivations underlying Omni-Reform’s furious midnight campaign to erect billboards advertising the new mining technologies, which were created and developed by Omni-AF, have been a mystery to the citizens of the Rubi-Ka.

In the press conference, Derousse stated that the reasons for both the change in ICC policy and the terms of the Rubi-Ka Lease were a direct consequence of Omni-Tek's invalidation of the Tir Accord and as "punishment" for increased political instability.

Omni-Tek was characteristically defiant in its response to the ICC’s announcement. "This is a ludicrous effort by the ICC," Omni-Tek Press Liaison Burton Shogren commented. "Omni-Tek has adhered to every single point stipulated in the lease of Rubi-Ka, but it's difficult when the ICC continues to reinvent the rules. Our lawyers are wording the appeal as we speak."

Derousse however, remained adamant it was the correct decision to make, but wouldn't reveal what impact this might have on Omni-Tek's bid to renew their lease of the planet. "The lease was signed on completely different terms and premises, many of which are invalid today, and our decision will not be revoked. As to Omni-Tek's application for an extended lease of Rubi-Ka: no comment."

Amazing how much difference a few little words can make.
    Last edited by Ammicus; Dec 2nd, 2002 at 13:01:28.