Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I don't care about PvP.

if you look forward to killing other human beings, you should stick around.

You equate PvP to murder?

Sick.

Originally posted by Miir
    You equate PvP to murder?

Sick.
    Didn't you hear? Charles Manson played Doom deathmatches in his spare time.

Millitary De Sensitizing ( Conspiracy Ahhhhh ) well the Games like Quake and Doom are a bit far fetched and no belivable... But games like Counter - Strike and RainbowSix look alot more RL and have been around for quite a bit.

I myself have played Counter Strike for 3 years b4 stumbling onto AO my first RPG... Before that Command and Conquer- First comp game

All this "Violent" gameing makes up i guess a Love for the Conflict.

Blowing some Guys head off with a Round off a .90 AE desert Eagle makes my day .. but of course not in Real life... but the more you play this stuff the less u see the diffrence between life and Pixels...

Im addicted to this stuff O_o and i dont care... Probably will ruin my life but who cares you only live once and migth as well go down in flames of fun

The pvp or person Versus Person, satifes some sort of Primitive need to prove yourself over another person. Meaning Agression being a primary part of that. Some people Dont like aggression. I do :PPPPPPP. But that means that people who play this game arent all Nutzo Maniacs who would love to get your head in thier cross hairs and blow it off.

Exclamation

Originally posted by Sheffy
    Hi. I said Omni v Clan. Not Clan killing other Clanners.
    Exactly. You aren't playing AO much lately I take it. If the game were about Clan vs. Omni, then the PvP might mean something. But it is just Deathmatch with everyone ganking each other, and UT2K3 is MUCH better at that than AO will ever be.

Make it so that Clanners cannot attack Clanners (ala DAoC) or make it so that if you DO attack folks on your own side you will become KOS to the guards of your home cities. THEN the PvP would make sense. As it is it serves no purpose and adds nothing to the RP elements of the game.

Most active PvP'rs are over level 150-160. When you get up to that level, there is little else to do aside from missions/hunting.
    PvP simply adds another dimension to the high level game which is difficult for lower level players to understand.
    PvP is one of the most fun and entertaining aspects of AO right now for me. I detest lower level PvP because it's just a twink contest.
    I don't plan on playing AO that long. The game is already boring as it is. I will get the money together to get myself a yalm, and that will have completed the game for me. Again, I don't need the stand and shoot someone boring PvP of AO when I can have jumping through the air, blasting as I fly in yer face PvP in the true FPS games when I want.

However, if they had added something of more insterest to the game, tons more dungeons, more entertaining missions, maybe more interactive quests, THEN I would probably be sticking around. As it is I will play my three month subscription, and move on to something else.

I don't plan on playing AO that long. The game is already boring as it is.

Funny.
    Ask anyone who partakes in PvP if they find that aspect of the game boring.

if they had added something of more insterest to the game, tons more dungeons, more entertaining missions, maybe more interactive quests, THEN I would probably be sticking around

They HAVE added static dungeons, dynacamps, new items, missions/quests.

Almost all of the game additions in the past year have been focused for PvE. Until Notum Wars, there has been little in the way of PvP content added (except for camelot). Infact, PvP content has been continually dwindling with the removal of most 0-25% zones.

Almost all of the game additions in the past year have been focused for PvE. Until Notum Wars, there has been little in the way of PvP content added (except for camelot). Infact, PvP content has been continually dwindling with the removal of most 0-25% zones.
    Perhaps that is true, I wouldn't know as I have only been playing the past several months. What I CAN see is that there is almost no real PvE/RP content in AO compared to its competition. Judging the game by what it is today I'd have to say that it must have been horrible a year ago.

Don't get me wrong, they have some great elements in AO that I'd love to see in other games. The missions where you can play by yourself or just with a group of friends is an idea that other MMOG's need to pick up on, badly.

But the PvP element is laughable. A group of clanners killing their own guards, and then walking around inside the city right by those exact same guards without repurcussion is just hilarious, and rotten RP. And PvP combat has none of the excitement or power of UT or Quake.

It's a shame really, because AO has SO much unrealized potential. Someday some game company is going to get all of these elements right, and we'll all be happily playing together for hours. In the mean time I play each in turn and enjoy them for the short time that they are interesting. Sadly, AO has lost it's appeal faster than the other MMORPG's I've played for the past few years. And NW just won't keep me (or some others from the sound of it,) around.

But the PvP element is laughable. A group of clanners killing their own guards, and then walking around inside the city right by those exact same guards without repurcussion is just hilarious, and rotten RP. And PvP combat has none of the excitement or power of UT or Quake.

Uhm, what does guard killing have to do with PvP?
    That's roleplay, not player vs player conflict.

Funny.
    Ask anyone who partakes in PvP if they find that aspect of the game boring.
    just because its fun and exciting for them doesnt mean its the same for everyone else.

Nice thread i myself is on an extended break thanks to all the pvp crap going on in this game. I've been in this game since august 2001, i have played all professions except adventurer. I have played 4 to a higher lvl than 100, i have a lvl 200 char. Still i refuse to pvp cause its boring.

My main is a crat, he is a complete joke in pvp, no fun at all, my highest alt is a doc, she is a complete joke as well, she simply refuses to be killed no fun in that either.

I cant understand why games that are RPGs cant stay being RPGs. People that love 1vs1 or 10vs10 can play games that are made in that purpose.

I'm sorry but i cant see anything but changes in pve thanks to FC wanting people to level slower and wanting changes to pvp.

Problem is and has always been that FC listens to much to the players, players that constantly whine on the forums and constantly sits on IRC gets more attention and that tends to be mostly pvpers, the rest of the players that are more into pve usually stays quiet.

The sum of my pointless post is, pvp isnt fun and i cant see how it is for anyone, either you own or you get slaughtered every time.

Originally posted by Seafarer
    Could careless about PvP. This account will close shortly and will not be renewed thanks to the continous nerf cycle related to FC's PvP push. Good luck everybody.
    Starting to feel the same way myself, Seafarer. Quit once over the pets in solo missions (let's make missions more like PvP) and this whole 'disgrace period' and PvP spread has me close to cancelling permanently.

I'd not mind PvP if it actually had jack-crap to do with the storyline....but for every story-line related PvPer, there are what seems like 20x that number of drooling, quake-rejects out to gank anyone and anything, including their own side. But most every one of these clowns will claim they are 'RPing the conflict'...perhaps as a sociopathic murderer, but not as a clanner or an Omni.

If the PvPers ever managed to drive out the powergamers, the dewds and other wildly OOC gankers that I've encounted in every game that allowed PvP (MUDs, UO and EQ red servers), then perhaps it would be interesting. Unfortunately, PvP in AO is pointless and irritatingly unrelated to the storyline (listen to players talking ingame, 90% aren't building towers to further the plot for their side, its for the benefits <powergamers> and added ability to gank, er PvP <quake-rejects>).
    This space intentionally left blank

I don't give a rats behind about PvP either...

and, yes, if you see me in a PvP zone I won't even shoot back...go ahead and kill me...makes no never mind to me and if it gives you your jollies then I've helped make someone happy.

Originally posted by Turin

So you wont care if I whoop up on you in a PvP zone if I see you there then?

Uhm, what does guard killing have to do with PvP?
    That's roleplay, not player vs player conflict.
    Er, sorry I skipped a few beats there. I was talking about the issue where some neutrals had showed up at Tir and were killing the guards so they could get back to the Arena or something. Then a bunch of Clanners started to help them by killing their own guards! That is laughable.

But the reasoning is the same. Suppose a clanner kills a clanner (which they can) then they should become wanted and KOS in their own cities. That is how a rational civilization would work, even if civilization were breaking down. If there are guards, we have to assume they are there to keep out the bad elements, or at least those who pose a danger to others in the faction.
    Last edited by wrecklass; Dec 2nd, 2002 at 23:41:59.

I used to not care about PvP. But now, with NW and towers and landcontrol and stuff,, well, there is finally a reason to PvP.
    We're actually defending omni territory, attacking clan territory, we're actually capturing and holding territory. I remember we cried about wanting that a long time ago. Now we got it.

It's great. 1 on 1, PvP is useless, pointless, of no real value. Except for friendly arena fights, to prove who's the toughest, but titles somewhat destroyed that IMHO, so I didn't care. Now, team vs team PvP. Or even guild vs guild PvP in mass battles, with waves upon waves of attackers, waves upon waves with defenders... Now, that's useful. That's actually fun.

I just thought I'd share that thought.

Adding my vote to the I dont care for PVP.

All PVP is in this game is to find out who can spend the most time, camping for the best equipment. It takes no skill just alot of time or money.

What I would love to see is a option on character creation or a form that would permanatly remove a character from PVP participation. You cant attack me I cant attack you and thats it no more worries. The only thing is I dont see it ever getting in game because at that point the vocal minority would raise a stink since most of their targets would vanish at that point.

But the reasoning is the same. Suppose a clanner kills a clanner (which they can) then they should become wanted and KOS in their own cities. That is how a rational civilization would work, even if civilization were breaking down.

Maybe the guards are so apathetic because death isn't permanent.
    And the only way to attack a player on your side of the conflict is in Arena or in 5% Land Control Area (1 hour/day)

Irrespective of that, you are still confusing RP with PvP.

All PVP is in this game is to find out who can spend the most time, camping for the best equipment. It takes no skill just alot of time or money

*sigh*
    Yet another person, ignorant of PvP who seems to think that it's a twinking contest.
    In higher level PvP, you can compete on a virtually level playing field without doing any camping whatsoever.

My doc has a mix of MK2 and Carbonum armor, Albrecht Tank and an X3. Basically all of her items were obtained without camping. Items obtained in regular XP teams and a few trips to Smugglers (even leveled 2 times in smugglers ).
    She is quite effective in PvP.
    she has appropriate gear for her level and not one single uber item.

Perhaps if you participated in some higher level PvP, you'd realize that it does take tactics and a little bit of skill to succeed in PvP.

What I would love to see is a option on character creation or a form that would permanatly remove a character from PVP participation

Have you ever been ganked?
    Have you ever taken part in non-consensual PvP?

Funcom has gone to great lengths to make AO unfriendly to griefiers.

You knew, when you started playing AO that conflict and PvP played a intergral part in AO and Rubi Ka.

The only thing is I dont see it ever getting in game because at that point the vocal minority would raise a stink since most of their targets would vanish at that point.

Are the players who partake in PvP suggesting that all players be forced into PvP?
    Are you implying that the PvP = ganking?
    I have never engaged in PvP with someone who was unwilling.

If you don't want to PvP, stay out of PvP areas.
    You can experience over 95% of the game without ever entering a PvP area.

This "vocal minority" that you speak of, is actually the majority of high level players. If AO had no PvP content, the high level player ocmmunity would evaporate.

My doc has a mix of MK2 and Carbonum armor, Albrecht Tank and an X3. Basically all of her items were obtained without camping. Items obtained in regular XP teams and a few trips to Smugglers (even leveled 2 times in smugglers ).

Lets see with MK2, been to smugglers twice and the mantis den 3 or 4 times and I can think of only two things that are worse for camping, TK and Tara. The Carb is a pain finding someone willing to build it for you since FC made the PPPE so rare, the tank is so so and the X3 is easy to get.

Once because of lagging into 20k and because the timer wasnt working right but has no bearing on the fact. It wasnt all that long ago that FC made it so if you got killed by another player they could loot any unsaved items from your corpse, dont know if that is still in but that seems pretty gank friendly to me.

You knew, when you started playing AO that conflict and PvP played a intergral part in AO and Rubi Ka.

I answer this with a quote and a link

http://www.anarchy-online.com/content/game/whatisao/

and the relevant part

Battle: Cooperate with other players to battle dangerous creatures and escaped mutants, or sell your services for cash and equipment taking on unique missions filled with challenges and surprises.

No where on that page does it mention PVP

Now Miir answer me this how would my being flaged non PVP hurt your game play because by making it so alot of areas are PVP limits me

Once because of lagging into 20k and because the timer wasnt working right

20k is not and has never been a PvP area.

I can think of only two things that are worse for camping, TK and Tara.

There's no camping involved in killing Tarasque.

The Carb is a pain finding someone willing to build it for you since FC made the PPPE so rare

I know about 20 Omni and 6 Clan players who can make 200 Carb. Sheets can be bought in shops. Where is the 'camping'?

It's actually easier to get than most other armors because you don't have to mission for it.

I answer this with a quote and a link
    and the relevant part

Perhaps you should have clicked the link at the bottom labeled : The Setting

Now Miir answer me this how would my being flaged non PVP hurt your game play because by making it so alot of areas are PVP limits me

Because a PvP switch can be abused.

Oops sorry not 20k 2ho or it may have been 4 holes, for some reason I always get those confused thanks for pointing that out to me.

I did look at the setting tab and it still says nothing about PVP.

And when I say a PVP switch I mean a permanant one not something that can be toggled on and off.

If you want to see my ideas on it check my thread over on the suggestions board.

I truly dont want to take anything away from those who want to PVP, I just dont want to be part of it and I would like to be able to explore all of Rubi-Ka without having to worry about PVP'ers.

Honestly it wouldnt have bothered me in the least if people who didnt have the booster were not able to participate in tower raids therefore making the gas changes mean nothing to them.

Anyway thats my 2 cents and thanks again for correcting me on 20k

But the reasoning is the same. Suppose a clanner kills a clanner (which they can) then they should become wanted and KOS in their own cities. That is how a rational civilization would work, even if civilization were breaking down.

Maybe the guards are so apathetic because death isn't permanent.
    Sigh, making up RP rationales for an obviously illogical system doesn't fix the problem. PvP doesn't make sense in the game, and it doesn't work.

Have you ever taken part in non-consensual PvP?

Funcom has gone to great lengths to make AO unfriendly to griefiers.
    Really, when? The only PvP I have encountered in Rubi-ka is running missions and getting rooted and ganked by someone while I am in my car and unable to defend myself. I call that non-consensual. Maybe that is what you call "tactics."

Griefers are everywhere in this game, and that is all I see of PvP. Sorry to burst your bubble of great battles with everyone running around forming grand strategies and perfect tactics. What I see is people standing around shooting and occasionally hitting the heal packs or nano programs. Tactics - ROFL!

Are you implying that the PvP = ganking?
    Absolutely! Bottom line: that is all it ever is in these games.

The funny thing is people love KILLING THINGS in missions, outdoor hunting, NPC controlled human beings, very high or very low level relative to them.

But won't fight a player for some reason. Christ, if you want a challenge, then PVP is where it's at. It's your perfect AI opponent that you all crave for in 'interesting' pvm.

My 2 cents.
    Don't be lonely anymore.

Look at your post, now back at mine. Now back to your post, now back at mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine, but if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate comments it could look like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through posts, reading the posts your posts could look like. Back at mine, it's a reply saying something you want to hear. Look again, my reply is now diamonds. Anything is possible when you think before you post.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast