Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I don't care about PvP.

"Just out of curiosity, have most of you saying you don't like PvP ever actually tried it out and gave it a real shot?"

Nope. But to be accurate, I said I don't care about it, not that I don't like it.

My point, which I should have been made clearer, has been picked up nicely by some other posters: I dislike changes that nerf or harm PvE in order to balance or boost PvP. More changes in this direction have the potential to make Anarchy Online unenjoyable for me.

Ok. I'm really glad so many people are adding "I don't care for PvP" in this thread. It makes it so interesting. Keep it up guys!

To be fair, I didn't care about PvP either until last night when I had my first experience with tower defense.

It's definitely interesting and offers a whole different way of looking at the game. I still like PvM more, at the moment, but am willing to at least give the PvP aspect a try and see how it sits. I'll never wander into the Arena and try it that way, but at least with the towers and so many variables to balance for attacking and defending PvP is finally appealing to me on some level.
    Chinarain
    Omni-Exploration Corps.

I don't care for PvP either. And this is the main reason that I don't care too much about NW - as all us non PvPers get are some nice gimmicks, but nothing *really* useful.
    I'd wish for some *real* new content, rather than what we got - oh well ....

Originally posted by Sheffy
    Ok. I'm really glad so many people are adding "I don't care for PvP" in this thread. It makes it so interesting. Keep it up guys!
    More interesting than going LD in trade, taking 5 minutes to log in, and definitely more interesting than actually doing pvp.

I don't care for pvp in AO.

PVP works great in games engineered for it, of which, I can play whenever: Half-life and HL mods, Quake and Q Mods, Neocron (where I get rewarded for pvp-ing regardless of win or lose, and where how I pvp changes my character).

Originally posted by Spacegipsy
    I don't care for PvP either. And this is the main reason that I don't care too much about NW - as all us non PvPers get are some nice gimmicks, but nothing *really* useful.
    I'd wish for some *real* new content, rather than what we got - oh well ....
    Well said. Notum Wars is a cop out. They can't figure out how to make better missions, or more interesting quests, so instead they go the easy route and add a system for gankers to kill people in more places.

I can get PvP in tons of other games, this is an RPG, add some RPG content and I'd be a lot happier.

I am Sam
    Do you like
    green eggs and ham?
    I do not like them,
    Sam-I-am.
    I do not like
    green eggs and ham.

I would not like them
    here or there.
    I would not like them
    anywhere.
    I do not like green eggs
    and ham...

-Dr. Seuss

If you stick with this game for any good length of time, chances are good that you will develop some interest in pvp, at some point.

How does the old cliché go? Don't knock it till you try it?
    Lucas "Madhava" Graves || Gear
    Level 203 Chief of Staff Surgery
    Advisor of Synergy Factor

Chakra "Accessory" Red || Gear

I care about PvP to the extent that it impacts my PvM game. I will never PvP, it's a personal thing I have, but I have friends that enjoy it. I would like for my friends to have fun. I would like to have fun, myself.

For a pure PvM'er, this game has become much like trying to play a game with a spoiled brat. Rules change on a whim, characters you've worked months to develop are suddenly left without the keystones on which you built those characters.

Which is why I have cancelled my account.

Originally posted by wrecklass
    I can get PvP in tons of other games, this is an RPG, add some RPG content and I'd be a lot happier.
    How can you say land control and huge Omni/Clan battles is not RPG content? It's just not solo content.

Here's the problem as I see it:

It's impossible to make professions completely balanced in PvP versus each other. Why? Because some professions are based around tradeskills. These classes have opportunities that combat classes do not. Therefore to compensate and be fair, the combat classes should be better at combat since that is their field.

In duels then, it should technically be perfectly fair for enforcers to win every PvP round: They're character is made for combat, correct? Would it be fair for an Engineer that focuses on trade skills to excel against combat classes? If you think about it, no actually, not at all. Then again, engineers suck at everything, but that's beyond the point.

This is why I don't like 1 on 1 fights. They're Purposely imbalanced FOR THE SAKE OF BALANCE. If you understand what I mean. Sorry, I'm tired. Notum Wars however, is ok since you have buddies to compensate for your deficiencies.

Some people might interpret this differently, but I think that balance should be the ability for every class to become very good at the thing that they were created for. To have something that other classes can't dream of, and to be happy about it.

Bah, all of this shows just how stupid it is to try to balance all of the professions and to give them new stuff in the process. Tell you what: Stop single duels and only allow team battles or something, then you can give professions lots of new stuff without worrying to have to balance the whole mess out as much.

{Disclaimer} These are just my views of the situation, not a serious analysation as you can see. Just a tired and lazy view of the problems with AO class balance and PVP. Don't flame me please, just say that you disagree and that can be it.
    Ernest "Zane0" Bunke - Equipment - Perks
    Obsidian Order
    Advisor

Fix 200+ Engineer Slayers

Engineers make a very, very good addition to mass pvp. AoE blinds for instance.

Enforcers are the ones that are supposed to charge across the zone and run over your nanomage arse like a freakin mack truck at 80 miles an hour. Traders stay behind the Enfs and debuff the opponents. Fixers root the enfs, soldiers lay payment to specific targets, and agents use thier skills to sneak around, gather intelligence, and lay some serious payment to a key target when it all goes down. MA's run up and kill themselves on enforcers damage shields, Crats remove the roots from the enfs so they can flatten the NT's that are destroying the grid armor wearing fixers, and so on and so forth.

Its a beautiful thing really. As you can see however, in order to have a good group pvp situation its not necessary for every single profession to be able to duel every other profession with a 50% chance of winning. I think the image of PvP has been tainted by the fact that there was no RP reason to PvP before, it was basically all about the titles.

Sure there are a lot of ppl put off by the thought of actually competing against something other than mindless NPC's, but this is going to end up being a big draw for AO.

If you ask me the thing they really need to change is the ability for high level people to heal low level people. This feature makes having a ql 100 tower totally obselete, since a few lvl 100 ppl getting healed by their lvl 180 doc friends will take it down for kicks (yes this exact thing happened to my guild earlier today.) If they put some sort of restriction on this then there would be a point to PvP before level 150. As is it now I feel forced to level to participate in notum wars.
    Isisnorfret RK1 - Main

Originally posted by Sheffy

How can you say land control and huge Omni/Clan battles is not RPG content? It's just not solo content.
    Because it is not?

So I'm standing outside Tir getting a new mission when I hear folks attacking the Guards. I turn to look and some neutrals are trying to kill the guards so they can get back into Tir. But then I look and some clanners are trying to help them. That's just stupid. The fact that you can have clanners helping neutrals, and omnis killing omnis defeats all the RPG content you might want to speak of.

Tell me, if you were to kill someone in the country you live in, would you be allowed to walk the streets afterwards?

NOW, if a ganker kills someone, and then becomes KOS to the guards of the cities because he is a known killer, THEN we'd have a valuable PvP system. Until then it is just kids ganking kids. No content, no RPG at all.

Hi. I said Omni v Clan. Not Clan killing other Clanners.

gg

PVP is the cancer of this otherwise great game.Its gone from an optional form of gameplay to the center of the universe.I am just aimlessly wandering around in missions trying to improve and enjoy myself but can't because all my time is spent breaking roots divests debuffs and what have you.After the 1st of the year some good games will be hitting the shelves that will compare to what this game used to be.And for your information scrotum wars is the nail on the coffin for this particular great rpg.They just don't realize it yet.They should have kept the codes seperate from the get go(different servers)too late, rest in peace AO.

As a matter of fact, Sheffy, I have tried PvP but I don't have milions of creds to spent on twinking and don't want to camp hours and hours for phat l00t and most of all I like to play fair Given the above PvP just isn't the thing for me.
    And Templar red I have been playing AO since september 2001 so it's perfectly possible to play this game for a length of time and still not like PvP. That doesn't mean I won't PvP in NW to help my clan protect or attack towers, as long as they don't ask me to like it.

EDIT: I'm not saying all PvP-ers gank just that it's the only way to win in PvP combat at my level if you don't have creds or the proper items.
    Last edited by Ensign M; Dec 1st, 2002 at 23:11:10.
    "Omni-Tek protects"?
    So does Durex, so what?"

-Caloss2

I don't have milions of creds to spent on twinking

Don't confuse actual PvP with newbie twinking contests.
    Higher level PvP less dependant on gear and more dependant on strategy/tactics.

don't want to camp hours and hours for phat l00t

Most players can PvP effectively without 'rare' or 'uber' loot.
    Some of the best PvP weapons are common as dirt.

perfectly possible to play this game for a length of time and still not like PvP

It's also possible to level from 1-200 without ever taking part in PvP.

One more thing. I notice that you are level 93.
    Most active PvP'rs are over level 150-160. When you get up to that level, there is little else to do aside from missions/hunting.
    PvP simply adds another dimension to the high level game which is difficult for lower level players to understand.
    PvP is one of the most fun and entertaining aspects of AO right now for me. I detest lower level PvP because it's just a twink contest.
    Last edited by Miir; Dec 2nd, 2002 at 03:06:02.

FFA is the best -)free For All(- ... When everyone just gose nutz killing everything in sight no matter what side :P as long as there plenty of Lagg-Burgurs to keep everyong Disoreinted and confused to run the mayhem

The argument that people need to get to high level and be unsatisfied with the rest of the game in order to appreciate the wonders of PvP and how much fun it is lacks in every conceivable way as a sales pitch. Don't apply for a transfer to the marketing department or apply for positions in the advertising industry if this is the best you can come up with.

The argument that people need to get to high level and be unsatisfied with the rest of the game in order to appreciate the wonders of PvP and how much fun it is lacks in every conceivable way as a sales pitch

It's not a sales pitch.
    It's the way the game is.

Low level PvP sucks.
    High level PvP doesn't.

If someone is unsatisfied with "the rest of the game" then maybe they should cancel their account.

Poll the people who have posted on this thread saying "I don't care about PvP". It's likely that most of them don't have a character over 150.

A bunch of us already did cancel our accounts. The message, in essence, is that if you look forward to killing other human beings, you should stick around. If you don't, well, that is all there is to look forward to, so you may as well leave.

Which we are doing.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast