Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crowd Limit system

Originally posted by Arithus

I don't really care that you don't live in a want-to-believe world, I, for one, wouldn't participate in that sort of thing , I play the game for fun, not just to find new ways to abuse FC's crappy engine design. And while, yes, the crowd control system honestly has a lot of potential to suck outright and be abused, I would definately prefer it to simply lagging out because AO is trying to load every texture of every item under everyone's trenchcoats.
    You wouldn't participate in such sploits. Neither would I. But don't think there is noone on the whole RubiKa that won't try it.

What 'eaze' is trying to say here, is that someone, somewhere WILL do it. If HE was planning on doing it himself, why would he warn us about it? Why would he let FunCom know? Because he would hate if someone else did it to him, and this is how he's trying to get attention to a possible problem.

Originally posted by Arithus
    I don't really care that you don't live in a want-to-believe world, I, for one, wouldn't participate in that sort of thing , I play the game for fun, not just to find new ways to abuse FC's crappy engine design
    Good - lets see how much fun you'll have the day someone use this tactic to take down your towers. Because if it's possible - someone will do it. You can continue to live in your want-to-believe world afterwards - it just wont have any towers for you.

Why are you bashing on eaze? He's just showed you a big flaw in the crowd limitation system, and you seem to get offended by it. Whats your problem?

There are several more issues with the crowd limitation system too - like who gets to stay, and who gets kicked out of the zone? Becuase they can "fix" the issue eaze mentioned by making such a descission level based. Great! Poof - ****, we lost our lvl 150 doc becuse our lvl 151 crat zoned in.

/tell crat Hey man - zone out, zone out
    You were killed by weapon damage

(Not my intention bashing on crats here - just an example.)

Or how about this - /tell guildie sorry man, you cant come to this raid because you dont kick ass bad enough, and you'll fill up a needed space. Your just too high level and too much of a gimp. No offence bro!

Please - dont let this POS system go live!

Epoz

Re: whatever

Originally posted by Blackwing
    you have seriously researched your posts and actually seen through me.

i tremble in awe.

i have not, nor will i in the near future say anything positive about verant or swg and this is the only thing i will reply to your bait. watch out or you will simply get ignored and how to share your views then?

i fail to see any tactics or strategy involved in the video. would you care to explain what you saw there?

i and the rest of the not so optimistic people here base their points upon logic, common sense and funcoms track record.

your turn again.
    Simple...I didn't have to watch the video, Blackwing

Edit

You failed to see any tactics or strategy because all you had to go on was the video, whose focus was to show off the tower's destruction.

What wasn't seen were things like:
    • The strategy involved on the defenders side in placing turrent and guardians
    • The strategy involved on the attackers side in breaching those defenses
    • The tactics involved on both sides when it comes down to actual battle

That base in the video had no real defenses and it's entire point was to die as spectacularly as possible for the video. Real bases with real defenses will repel an unfocused attack, especially if the base owners decide to take part.

Even lower level org members that can't participate in the battle because of level limits can have a role. They make excellent scouts to send through the grid and report what forces are arrayed against you (they can't be attacked and the attackers can't shut them up).
    Last edited by Kuroshio; Nov 29th, 2002 at 18:17:49.
    History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave. - Edmund Morris

The first faults are theirs that commit them, the second theirs that permit them. - Unknown

Did you ever get the feeling that the world had an abundance of idiots? And that God had arranged for you to meet every single one of them before you died? - Kuroshio

Hope they consider these situations too.

So, I'm in a zone running to a mission. The zone has dozens of my faction already in it just waiting to start an attack. The attack starts. Tons of defenders swarm in.
    Will I get booted while omw to the mission?

I enter the mission and someone takes my space in the zone. I stuff up the first room and try to run out of the mission for a breather.
    Can I leave the mission, or am I trapped with the mobs until I die?
    Do I leave the mission, but get booted out of the warzone, and back to Rome so I cannot get back to the mission until the attack is over?

edit: dang bold tags
    Turchin - Fat Crat member of Illuminati.

?

Originally posted by Kuroshio

Simple...I didn't have to watch the video, Blackwing

Edit

You failed to see any tactics or strategy because all you had to go on was the video, whose focus was to show off the tower's destruction.

What wasn't seen were things like:
    • The strategy involved on the defenders side in placing turrent and guardians
    • The strategy involved on the attackers side in breaching those defenses
    • The tactics involved on both sides when it comes down to actual battle

That base in the video had no real defenses and it's entire point was to die as spectacularly as possible for the video. Real bases with real defenses will repel an unfocused attack, especially if the base owners decide to take part.

Even lower level org members that can't participate in the battle because of level limits can have a role. They make excellent scouts to send through the grid and report what forces are arrayed against you (they can't be attacked and the attackers can't shut them up).
    man, are we playing the same game?

your assumption is that every class in ao pvp is worth the same.

which is not true.

this is why the crowd control system is not worth being implemented. check the posts above. check the profession forums. check the pvp forum. go pvp.

then come back and tell me what you think because the quote:
    "/tell crat buddy move move move you just spam the place of our trader or doc" is so true it is not funny.

include level limits all you want what it boils down to is that there will be no balance in pvp. ao is to complex for that and funcom has given up even trying to reach this hard to get equilibrium.

we have nemesis classes and level caps which might help if you have the perfect group spread in every level range but fact is you will not have that unless your org is really really big.

he who can field 1-2 traders a doc and some tanks will win against the defender as this type of pvp will be ALL about tanking.
    Last edited by Blackwing; Nov 29th, 2002 at 20:15:59.
    sept 03 - the day ao was keeled by sl.

gone now. byebye.

Re: ?

Originally posted by Blackwing

man, are we playing the same game?

your assumption is that every class in ao pvp is worth the same.

which is not true.

this is why the crowd control system is not worth being implemented. check the posts above. check the profession forums. check the pvp forum. go pvp.

then come back and tell me what you think because the quote:
    "/tell crat buddy move move move you just spam the place of our trader or doc" is so true it is not funny.

include level limits all you want what it boils down to is that there will be no balance in pvp. ao is to complex for that and funcom has given up even trying to reach this hard to get equilibrium.

we have nemesis classes and level caps which might help if you have the perfect group spread in every level range but fact is you will not have that unless your org is really really big.

he who can field 1-2 traders a doc and some tanks will win against the defender as this type of pvp will be ALL about tanking.
    If that's what you think, more power to you. But that is exactly what it is. What you think. Not what you have experienced and therefore know.

I actually found the tower battles during the beta to be refreshing and fun. But you'll never know because you've made up your mind that you'll despise it. And that'll poison your experience the entire time.

Back onto the thread topic though, could Funcom have implemented a better crowd control system? Probably not and not due to a lack of talent. The programmers for SWG have the advantage of coding for an engine that hasn't been released yet. They can attempt to code any solution to crowding that they want and toss it for another option if it doesn't work out. Funcom's programmers do not have that luxury. They have to work with the existing engine. And rewriting the engine for a better crowd control system, while probably preferrable, isn't realistic while they have the existing engine to support.

You can bet that if Verant can't get the dynamic battlegrounds working the way they want during beta, they will either A) Drop the idea entirely. Or B) Ship SWG without that functionality and add it later. It's a problem facing every MMORPG out there, as proven by UO on the 1st day it was released (5 minute lag storms), carried over into EQ (turn down graphic functions until everyone looks like a Primitive Object), and on through AC (Portal Storms). So long as people like the concept, there will be a problem in every game with player crowding.

So far, we've seen no real evidence concerning FC's solution (or at least I never experienced it during the beta, which says something in itself). So before I go off ranting how much something sucks that I've never laid eyes on, I think I'll wait and see if it actually does.

You, on the other hand, can sit there being miserable and hoping that you can convince everyone to be miserable with you. Otherwise, you'd be force to admit you might have made a mistake and we can't have that.

Don't bother putting me on ignore Blackwing. I'll put you there after this post.

The first faults are theirs that commit them, the second theirs that permit them. - Unknown

Did you ever get the feeling that the world had an abundance of idiots? And that God had arranged for you to meet every single one of them before you died? - Kuroshio

Talking good saves me some clicks

gone now. byebye.

Re: Re: ?

Originally posted by Kuroshio
    Don't bother putting me on ignore Blackwing. I'll put you there after this post.
    Quoted from Kuroshios sig
    It is better to debate a question without settling it, than to settle a question without debating it. - Joseph Joubert

Re: Re: Re: ?

Originally posted by Epoz
    Can't debate with someone who insists they know the booster pack is horrible based on watching a video and hating Funcom. The debate was settled in Blackwing's mind long ago

reading his posts i wonder

wether he took the time to read mine at all?

ah well who cares. initiated into the ao forums by the first person flaming me for things i have not said woot!

gone now. byebye.

My only worry is how do you keep the game from coming to a crawl from lag with unlimited players in a zone? The potential for exploits here is obvious, one way to curtail them would be to ban and delete accounts that participated in this activity based on credit card billing address. So if you used your booster pack account to creat a level 5 noob to flood a zone, and you were caught doing this, they all accounts that had the same billing address would be banned and deleted.

I would hope that would pose as a deterent to some. I do like to be able to play with as little lag as I can, tonight, even in a 20 on 20 or so fight, the lag was awful.

Also, tower battles feel too much like MMD to me, all this gas line camping again, why did the gas lines even have to be in visual range of the towers? The radius should have been much bigger or grace reduced not expanded. Don't get it. funcom works in mysterious ways.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12