Thread: A New Separate History for Rubi-Ka

Lightbulb A New Separate History for Rubi-Ka

After reviewing the recent official release of the Rubi-Ka timeline by the Omni Tek Historians I have an important suggestion to make. As a Clan member I feel very strongly about Rubi-Ka being my home and as such feel that the history of this planet deserves its own present day acknowledgement. Therefore it is my plea to the citizens of Rubi-Ka that we change the year dates that we refer to.

I propose that the year 28702, the year that first land fall occurred on Rubi-Ka, be hence forth referred to as year 1 AC (After Colonization) and that years previous to this time be referred to as BC (Before Colonization). This change would make the current year 774.

What relevance do events that occurred over 28,000 years ago on a distant star that none of us will over see have on our culture today? Those of us who were created through technologies developed on this planet and those who have been born here from generations whom have built up our societies over the many years of struggle and determination deserve not only a Rubi-Ka culture of today, but our own history as well, separated from the timeline of the Omni-Tek Corporation.

I may be a simple common citizen of Rubi-Ka, but I hope that my plea reaches the ears of Henry Radiman, the Council, and all the Clans of influence. The acknowledgment of a separate Rubi-Ka history will root us into today and help us to foresee a better tomorrow.

I welcome any public discussion. Thank you for your time.

Long live Omni-Tek

Nonsense.

Dates should start at 0 O.T., celebrating the formation of the greatest MegaCorp to ever exist.

It's not so much a history of RubiKa or Omni Tek than a history of the human race

Be mindful, history repeats itself. Theres more to this conflict than two opposing sides fighting over mining rights.
    Marcos Ryback Doniger
    lvl 57 Martial Artist
    Clan Opposing Force

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." - Bruce Lee. Martial Artist of 20th Century Earth

Exclamation

It is not my intention to imply that we wipe away reference to human history. However, an overall feeling amongst the members of the clans feel that we deserve a culture that is attached to our own history, separate from the mega corporation Omni Tek and the distant past. There is a definite feeling of “before” and “after” for the vast majority of us on this planet in referring to the establishment of our home here. The revolution established the passionate need of the people of Rubi-Ka to claim their own culture, what better way to symbolize this then by declaring the beginning of our culture and adjusting our dates accordingly?

But you are then denying and/or ignoring your own past. Whatever Omni Tek may or may not stand for and no matter our personal opinions of the company; you, me and every other person wouldn't be on this planet if it weren't for Omni Tek.

Like it or not your past is linked to Omni Tek. Omni Tek's past is a large and relevant part of the human race. Therefore it makes sense to have the timeline represented as it is.

Think of the confusion that would arise if every group/company/organisation in history demanded their own separate timeline.

By your own reasoning OT would have the same rights to their own timeline separate from the clans. How can this be possible with the past, and the ongoing relationships? And what of the neutrals? Should they have a separate timeline?
    Marcos Ryback Doniger
    lvl 57 Martial Artist
    Clan Opposing Force

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." - Bruce Lee. Martial Artist of 20th Century Earth

Thumbs up Before Colonization, After Colonization

Omni-Tek, Clans not important, really. Rubi-Ka is important.

Time here should be measured from the day first colonist arrived. I like the B.C. , A.C. designation. Many other colonies (especially those not ruled by cold, irresponsible corp)
    use this designation.

Now, for Sllaagor, it is the year 774 A.C. OT slaves can call it whatever date they like. Sllaagor is a slave no more.

Neutrals? I care not for fence sitters. Choose side, or it may choose you.

- Sllaagor

Exclamation

I am not ignoring Omni Teks role, but I am considering the planet Rubi Ka more. This planet had no life on it, now it does. Omni Tek may be responsible for that, but it will continue to have life long after Omni Tek is done with it. The Nano and Atrox breeds were created on this planet, entire species that know only of Rubi Ka. This planet deserves the respect of having its own documented history, not just a footnote in some company report database.

Giving Rubi Ka its own timeline is a huge symbolic gesture of our society’s independence.

Wink

Originally posted by Lumoxx
    ...Giving Rubi Ka its own timeline is a huge symbolic gesture of our society’s independence.
    ay yep, indeed .... ,)

what about we just have 3 time-lines ? an omni, a clan and a neutral timeline ...

then we could open 3 new boards ... omni timeline, clan timeline, neutral timeline ...

in there 3 sticky threads called "Additions to timeline" .... there people representin those factions can give the collected (and maybe rephrased ehehe) suggestions from the forum ....

could be some great fun talkin (postin) about what to add and what not ehehehe and of course it would also give us some identity ... ,)
    tradeskillz ?

As a long time Omni-Tek employee I have a slightly different perspective about the question of dates than the narrow minded clanners. Rubi-Ka is but one planet in a vast interplanetary community. No consider the effect on the community if ever planet had its own timeline, based on its time of colonization or whatever. It would be a different year on each planet. Can you imagine trying to keep anything straight when you have shipment orders from one system dated 1/13/774 and another dated 1/13/2001 and another dated 1/13/28,702? It would be utter confusion. Noone would be able to tell when anything was done or when something needs to be done.

The addition of the suffix (A.C, B.C, etc) wouldn't help much either. There are so many star systems that have been colonized that it would be impossible to give each a unique or meaningful suffix. Besides that noone could keep them all straight.

I hope that this has opened some of those beady little clan eyes a bit. Rubi-Ka is not the center of the universe, mearly one planet amongst a greater community of the stars. For Rubi-Ka to thrive as a commercual or industrial center it must not be cloistered away due to irrational feelings of misguided patriotism, but rather it must continue to be a part of the human community.

Thank you

Angry Trade? Shipments?

Hah. Everyone knows the only important and profitable outgoing shipment from Rubi-Ka is the notum that I helped mine against my will as an OT "creation" (read: slave). What does it matter what date on shipment, receivers just happy to get notum.

Imports? It's all Omni-Tek controlled anyway. There are no competing corporations here. Where is Sol Banking? OT hide important info from official surveys. Won lease hands down by controlling information.

If OT is so advanced, so magnanimous, why will Omni-Med not make Atrox genetic information available (or modify genetic template of Atrox) so that we can become a true breed that can self ... propagate.

774 A.C. ... I care not for the people on other worlds. Rubi-Ka is as good a world as any, better. If notum is all they say it is (as Atrox I have little nano ability, prefer it that way) no one will care what date we put on our shipments.

We should break from the historic corp dominated governmental structure and try something else. Something where all can benefit if all do their part. It's beyond hope to think anything like that can happen ...

- Sllaagor
    Clan Atrox Enforcer

You are all saying Omni Tek/clans/neutrals don't matter, yet you are allowing personal feelings to cloud your view.

Omni Tek did not create this timeline ICC historians did and I must concur with FakoNamo. In order for Rubi Ka to survive in the galaxy we cannot have different timelines.

Sllaagor, using this one timeline helps the ICC historians to make their jobs easier. You must have asked for better tools/equipment from Omni Tek to make your mining job easier and I am sure the ICC historians "dont care" about that.

Come my friend, don't allow your anger to consume you. I know you well enough to know you are not ignorant but a truly unique Atrox.

On a final note. By all means keep your own timelines for your journals perhaps encourage local historians to do the same for local records, unfortunately it just isnt logistically possible to try and get the ICC to do the same.
    Marcos Ryback Doniger
    lvl 57 Martial Artist
    Clan Opposing Force

Unhappy Perhaps you are right, Ryback.

I do at times let my feelings cloud my judgement.

It's very easy when you have had bad experiences with OT as I have. It's very easy when you feel cheated of your humanity.

Galactic history is pretty much closed book to me. Thanks to OT, I have more of a ... limited brain ... than I would like. I work long and hard to overcome this but very difficult to beat your genes. I must discard that which is interesting but not useful to my cause.

The only entry on the timeline I wish to see would be: "OT releases Atrox genetic information and/or modifies the breed to allow it to self-propagate." I have devoted my life to this end.
    I may not survive to see the day, but I will start small.

I will place a small snowball at top of mountain. I will push it. It will grow and grow and smash into OT at the bottom. I will flood the nets with my views. There must be others who feel the same as I.

OT must understand what they do when they create life irresponsibly. One of their ... creations ... must turn the tables on them.

- Sllaagor
    Clan Atrox Enforcer

Angry

And what happens when Omni-Tek has sucked the planet dry of it's precious rocks and ICC has no more interest here? The terra-forming has created life on this planet and it will continue on long after Omni-Tek has blasted off to find some other world to plunder. I have little doubt that the clans will want to stay with their home on Rubi-Ka and we will always remember that this society began with Rubi-Ka’s colonization. The year is 774 AC and time marches on with or without the ICC and Omni-Tek.

Sllaagor, he who wants to move a moutain begins by moving small rocks.

A man who knows this wisdom does not have a "limited brain"
    Marcos Ryback Doniger
    lvl 57 Martial Artist
    Clan Opposing Force

Silagor should be content...

With not having his race phased out, now that robotics can do essentially everything an Atrox can, nearly as cheaply. Unrestricted replication is likely to become a problem with the other manufactured races as well...Nano and Opifex overpopulation is a legitimate concern since the environment of Rubi-ka is terraformed and not entirely self-correcting - despite all the clan overtures about the planet going on long after Omni-tek is gone. Sure, the planet will go on, as dead a world as it once was within 1500 years of Omni's departure.
    The doctor is not responsible for filing your insurance claim forms. Please see the front desk for further assistance.

Documents meant for galaxy wide distribution must continue to use the ICC method of dating since that method takes all of human history into account.

Documents or references that are Rubi-Ka only could use a Rubikan dating method. And I would suggest that Year 1 be when the first human set foot on Rubi-Ka. That is not necessarily the same year that the first colonist arrived.
    Anastasia "Aniee" Cervenak
    Martial Artist

Man is the only animal that blushes, or needs to. -------Mark Twain

The Planet will not go on without Omni

This is because Omni will never leave. You cannot seperate omni from the timeline. They put us here, and they will remain here long after the notum is gone, they will remain until either they are killed off by clans, or the clans are removed. The media is the building block for any mega-corp like omni. If they left in the middle of a fight they would drown in all the negative media. That's buisness.

So considering that the first colonists were omni, and considering that they will remain here. Why should they not be considered in the timeline? The government will not allow a seperate timeline... why would they?

Actually...

Once the profitability of mining notum is gone I expect we'll leave the planet. Maintaining a functional biosphere just for the sake of all the whining homo nanos and the backstabbing traitors in the north isn't worth the expense. When the notum is gone, then you clanners can have the planet all to yourselves and do whatever you want to, if in fact you can have any semblance of peace among yourselves if you don't all have Omni-tek as a common enemy to keep you united.

Then again there is enough notum here to last into perpetuity. We can't mine it and transport it offworld faster than it forms naturally.

You are right about one thing though: The year is whatever year Omni-Tek tells you it is.
    The doctor is not responsible for filing your insurance claim forms. Please see the front desk for further assistance.