Thread: Future Use of the Beta Server

Lightbulb Future Use of the Beta Server

Greetings

I think the current beta server should be left running as one of two entities:

Option One: Leave it open and start allowing the players who currently have access to start testing Shadowlands, and then open it to more players as the testing would progress.

Option Two: Convert the server to being a Test server. Keep it as is, buffing system in tact, so that there would be a wide range of player levels, as some people will not opt for buffing. It would then create a situation where things could be tested properly across all levels.

I would prefer option one, but of course, the two options could always be combined, having it become a test server after Shadowlands.

Regards

Re: Future Use of the Beta Server

Originally posted by Deleted
    Option One: Leave it open and start allowing the players who currently have access to start testing Shadowlands, and then open it to more players as the testing would progress.
    Do you have a sense based on reliable information that Shadowlands is approaching Beta stage? If not, wouldn't it be a squandering of resources to leave it open? Why not set up a new one, optimized for Shadowlands testing, based on what they have learned from NW testing, when the time comes? Otherwise, it would just be another server that needs to be patched and kept up to date until it is ready for use - excess overhead with no return.

Option Two: Convert the server to being a Test server. Keep it as is, buffing system in tact, so that there would be a wide range of player levels, as some people will not opt for buffing. It would then create a situation where things could be tested properly across all levels.
    Why not just move that functionality to the existing test server?

Re: Re: Future Use of the Beta Server

Originally posted by Vydas

Why not just move that functionality to the existing test server?
    Good answer. I like the idea of the level buffing scripts, and I highly think that FC should put those onto the test server. Not very many people want to level to 200 basically by themselves as it is impossible to find a team on the test server.
    My Characters!

Jamison "Thakilla5" Dartt 200 Martial Artist
    Proud Member of The Dojo
    "Swiftrush" 70 Agent

Re: Re: Re: Future Use of the Beta Server

Originally posted by thakilla5

Good answer. I like the idea of the level buffing scripts, and I highly think that FC should put those onto the test server. Not very many people want to level to 200 basically by themselves as it is impossible to find a team on the test server.
    Why not just rename it to the Preview Server instead?

The problem with the boost scripts is it can't tell the difference between a player that knows what's it's like to play a level 150 Trader and a player that wants to toy with high level stuff. And that could carry serious repercussions to testing.
    History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave. - Edmund Morris

The first faults are theirs that commit them, the second theirs that permit them. - Unknown

Did you ever get the feeling that the world had an abundance of idiots? And that God had arranged for you to meet every single one of them before you died? - Kuroshio

Why not ship it to my house

I could use a new computer for playing AO!

-Mega

Re: Re: Re: Re: Future Use of the Beta Server

Originally posted by Kuroshio

Why not just rename it to the Preview Server instead?

The problem with the boost scripts is it can't tell the difference between a player that knows what's it's like to play a level 150 Trader and a player that wants to toy with high level stuff. And that could carry serious repercussions to testing.
    Uhm, give them some credit . It might be possible to flag people to get a boost, no? Actually fairly easily, too. So that some selection could be made.

Furthermore, there should also be a de-boost script. Things need to be tested at all levels, not just 1 and 200.

If its possible they should add its resources to the live server banks to decrease the lag or something like that. Live these days is like a giant ball of lag floating around.
    Suupaslap Master 10th Dan--Rk2
    Smugglerguy Ickle baby fixer--Rk2

LVL boost problem, No probelm at all

Why not use an image of the "Live" severs Chars iplemented on the test... so that i can play a copy of for exampel my L 104 engi on test or my L 70 adv ... that would solve all the problems whit palyers just wanting to check out how it is to play a lvl 150 char.

Or am i missig some other issue here?
    Synaptikk, Adventurer, Omni, RK-1
    Zhaga, Engineer, Omni, RK-1
    Foulplay, Agent, Omni, RK-1

KEEPER OF "ADVBOT" @ RK-1, JOIN!! (read about it)

"Moment of terror is the beginning of life" - Front242

Talking

Originally posted by Megaram
    Why not ship it to my house

I could use a new computer for playing AO!

-Mega
    Hehe,good Idea.
    Free P4's for all tester ;D

I think we'll group up in two damage teams to slay it and use the loot for building on the other three dimensions as needed.

2 damage teams hmmm... You gimps.. I could solo a server with just a cardboard box and a scredriver... sheesh... come on what are you 3 teams of MA's in a political zone or what
    Q u o t e:
    ((OOC))

Pardon me for hijacking the thread, here..

But, Brion - if you don't want your mother to know you were up and on the computer at 3:29 in the morning - DON'T post on a forum that she reads.

Busted.
    Grounded.

From the WoW forums. best PWNAGE EVAH!!!

If they are 3 teams of MA's they better try not to get tangled in any wires. Might take them some time to get free then

Yup have to wait 80 seconds to try to get lose... ROFLMAO
    Q u o t e:
    ((OOC))

Pardon me for hijacking the thread, here..

But, Brion - if you don't want your mother to know you were up and on the computer at 3:29 in the morning - DON'T post on a forum that she reads.

Busted.
    Grounded.

From the WoW forums. best PWNAGE EVAH!!!