Thread: Camping - Camp Sharing

Camping - Camp Sharing

I've thought about this a lot and never thought it would come to posting a thread like this but someone needs to do it.

With the implementation of many new quests, new nanos, the thrust to the outdoor camps, and NW, there should be some new rules put in place. Now before I begin, I "DO NOT" believe that a political area 25% or lower should have these rules in place but in areas that are 75% they should be implemented 100%.

Camp Sharing - Many guilds are combining and combining and combining so much and so often that you are going to see 300/400 member guilds soon. Much of the smaller guilds get swallowed up or those growing because they encounter more difficulty with a spot due to competing with sheer numbers.

A lot of the initial problems first surface when a person or person(s) happen to be camping a particular area or mob. Another person comes to compete for it and realizes that they don't have the capacity to compete and so they invite guild mates or friends and start forming uber groups or massing out to dilute the damage in the battle to such that their "kill" group gets the win. This is nothing more than an event of killstealing but some events go without anyone getting upset or calling names because the situation is so common now that it's expected.

Many people, including myself, do not feel this way. I believe that in 75% areas where certain mobs spawn there should be some type of camping rule in place so that it is a shared area. For those mobs which are 18 hour spawns, the time should be greatly reduced and then set to random times within a 6 hour period or similar.

The idea of sharing is never an easy one but many people have to take their head out of the game for a moment and realize that all of us do share one common thing: We are all customers and want to play the game to enjoy ourselves. There should be some common courtesy presented for all customers alike and right now there aren't any customer courtesy rules placed in the game that deal with significant factors.

There are many ways to fix camping problems. First, group level could define whether or not the mob being camped drops the loot. By doing this, you have only those groups within similar levels competing for a spot. Two, by placing in a camp sharing method, you allow for fair play to be introduced in areas of the game that need them to be. Remember, not everyone wants PvP or chaos, or competition. Some just want to be with their friends, enjoy collecting items, maybe even enjoy doing missions. Regardless, camp sharing could be defined by the group present or in extreme cases the guild present.

Example One: Group Example
    Situation - Nugget

This mob is 18 hours and people that camp him time him for 18 hours and then form their kill groups, outdue the next group there and get the rewards. They don't sit there and wait for him to spawn (the timer does all the work for them).

Remedy to One

Lower the time to 6 hours or even 8 hours and randomize the time at which he could come so that it's not static in duration. First group that is there can stand at the spot and do a /marktime command.

(*/marktime = A command used to mark the time you arrive at a particular location and it would count until you left the area in question. This would determine the time you and your group have spent there. There can be certain modifications to a command like this which would allow for GMs/ARKs to be more easily able to reach logs and decide outcomes)

After doing a /marktime command if another group comes to the spot and asks to share the spot with them, they both must come to an agreement or /petition to have a GM/ARK intervene. If an ARK/GM intervenes he or she can decide the outcome whatever way they choose. The limitation to groups at particular areas should be limited to 3 groups. If the groups do not /marktime the area they are camping then the first 3 groups that do are allowed to agree on terms.

Condition - If more than one group wishes to compete for a spot then those groups must be full or have at least 5 members. This way you don't get 2 member groups vying for the spot.

-------------

Example Two: Guild Example
    Situation: Polymorphed Lunatic

Guild raids and events are going to be the more problematic events to deal with and as such is a more delicate matter. I believe that no more than 3 guilds should be able to compete for a spawn at one time and that the guilds present must have enough members within their raid party to be able to handle the mob in question. If they do and more than one guild wants to compete for the spot then they should come to an agreement or an ARK/GM should be able to decide the outcome for them.

In the case of the Poly Lunatic, a quick/fast spawn this should never be a problem anyways. However, in many cases, it is.

-----------

Final Note - We are all here to have fun and the game is divided in sections for most of the things we like to do. Look below:

Competition and Strife and War - Notum Wars, Political Areas, and Arenas.

Loot and Item Collecting - Common and Rare mobs both outdoor and indoor.

Exploration - New areas, dungeons.

Socialization - Clubs, Guilds, small and large events.

Roleplaying - Story participation, Character personalization, Developed dispositions and background information.

Adding a shared camping solution to 75% areas will not hurt any of these and will allow people to still do what they've always liked to do. In one particular situation, loot and item collecting - it allows for a more diverse proposition and curbs the hostility present at these camp sites.

Thanks again.

Agree with doing away with spawn timers. The mob should have X chance of spawning every X hours with X fluctuating around some base. People who want an uber drop should actually have to make the effort to log in and see when the mob is up as opposed to setting an alarm clock.

And the problem is that some of these groups aren't even interested in the loot. They go, outkill the mob, then post the loot (such as the shades) in exchange. Then people who are in small guilds and are just starting up are "forced" to pay 25M for a pair. I myself just decided to pay, out of the many futile attempts to kill Nugget.

Bump for random time-spawns.

Adding to that, I dont even think that the /marktime command is necessary, given that many goups just won't lag around waiting for a 6 hour mob to randomly spawn. Whoever is lucky (or persistent) enough to see the mob is most likely going to get the kill.

Spawn Times

Random spawn would be very good, spawn time of x + or - y with the chance increasing after time x if not spawned. No more "Oh 5 minutes till spawn for datmob, got to go"

Also us players should respect someone that has spent time and effort to get there first and with a decent chance to get that mob, saying that you can out damage a legit group for a target and taking it is poor imo. Only exception to this would be if they are of an opposed alignment, clan, omni, neutral should be able to compete for mobs with each other.

Re: Spawn Times

Originally posted by Belce
    Random spawn would be very good, spawn time of x + or - y with the chance increasing after time x if not spawned. No more "Oh 5 minutes till spawn for datmob, got to go"

Also us players should respect someone that has spent time and effort to get there first and with a decent chance to get that mob, saying that you can out damage a legit group for a target and taking it is poor imo. Only exception to this would be if they are of an opposed alignment, clan, omni, neutral should be able to compete for mobs with each other.
    In a political area I agree that opposite sides should be able to compete for a mob but in a 75% zone its not about competition - its about who times the mob right and who stacks the favor in their odds to win the kill. Randomizing will help and looks like a lot of you favor it so that is good.

well, I will agree that unique mob camping can be a problem but I think what you have here is not a good solution. Having a randomize time and shorten respawn time might help but....
    First, on the "Marktime" feature, large guilds will have enough people that they can have a group sitting there for hours. Also, they will not want to have GM/ARK having to make decisions such as telling or forcing group a to leave spawn cause group x wants it. In addition, a large guild can keep a team at the spawn for long periods of time, thus locking it out from other. Trying to limit it to 3 guilds at the sight will once more hurt the small guilds who might not be able to put together as large or as high level a team. Once more, funcom wouldn't want to have their employees having to play baby sitter and who would like to be told that their group has to leave the spawn becuase they ARE part of a big guild.

Courtesy is something that should be encouraged, but it only takes a few bad apples to ruin it all, and I doubt that Funcom wants to become the courtesy police and try to bind it up with all sorts or rules.
    I wish I had a suggestion on how to handle it, but in the end, there will always we those who dont' give a darn and with very long camp times it doesn't pay for people to be courteous when another group will come along and basically jump the kill line and take the mob.
    If at first you dont' succeed, reload.

If it moves, shoot it. If it doesn't move, loot it.