Thread: A Bit of a Worry

A Bit of a Worry

I just phoned my local branch of GAME (a large chain of computer game shops in the UK) to ask when they would be getting Notum Wars in. I was told it is not on their list of future PC releases and so they will not it seems be stocking it.

Phoned another store near me and they are expecting it to be delivered on friday. Panic over!

/me starts to look around for other stores .. EB perhaps?
    Promoo - Agent, Clan on Rimor
    Still alive but now dressed in spandex and called Big Gun in CoH
    Keeper Of Tiggy

Happy Tree Friends - The best animation on the web

It was PC world who said they were getting it on friday.

Arrow

GAME = EB - so if one don't have it, doubt the other will (if there *are* any EB stores in the UK that haven't been changed into GAME yet...)

PCWorld huh? Worth a shot I guess...
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

Well I went in PC World today - they dont have it.

Infact nowhere has it. This sucks.

UK Release

For some reason we have got a delayed release in the UK. I was told by both Game and PC World that it will be out in the first week of December.
    "You know how these so-called 'Environmentalists' are all vegetarian? Well, there would be a lot more of the Environment if they stopped eating all the plants..."

Harry Hill

Same with EB and Game in Manchester.

I had the game improted from Sweden when it first came out. Didn't hit the shops here until September if I remember correctly.

Re: UK Release

Originally posted by Vanity
    For some reason we have got a delayed release in the UK.
    <hint - release date of AC2 is?>
    Dont you think I look like Geordie from Star Trek?
    <-----------------------------------------------------------
    Actually I look more of a cross between him and Picard don't I?

Arrow

Maybe you'd like to explain the connection?

Or is this just paranoid conspiracy theory?
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

yea they screwed up bad
    Supersoly lvl 220 Atrox Enforcer
    Fearthis lvl 200 Opi MA
    Tehsoly lvl 60 Atrox Enforcer

and a lvl 160+ sold...

Legion

I think he's trying to say that FC initially gave a street date to GAME for NW synchronised with the release of AC2.

Sounds like good marketing to me not paranoid conspiracy?

The computer games market overheats around christmas where games will make 4-5 times what they would make any other time of the year. All publishers attempt to exploit the christmas window meaning competition for shelf space in major retail outlets becomes incredibly intense over christmas.
    In the UK there is so little shelf space over christmas that publishers actually have to pay for it and typically a lot of games won't end up on the shelves and will only be available by order.

In the States the retailers prefer concrete release dates with big lead times. Some of the bigger stores insist on getting stock weeks in advance. Getting games publishers to play on the store's terms has lead to the slow realisation in the game industry that old school standards need reform. The dichotomy between marketing and development traditionally left the marketing boys out on limb come release date. Hopelessly flapping about like beached fish spouting vacoous excuses for why their game wasn't ready without actually knowing why. As the industry has matured the larger companies have started adopting working practices that on the whole are leading to the development process becoming far more predictable and deadlines are being achieved. Even so getting games out on time is still a bit of a black art.

So for there to be confusion over release dates and lack of supplies is probably no great surprise.

Anyway back to work...

Originally posted by diatribe
    I think he's trying to say that FC initially gave a street date to GAME for NW synchronised with the release of AC2.

Sounds like good marketing to me not paranoid conspiracy?
    Sounds like bloody silly marketing to me - and therefore paranoid conspiracy (that and FCs PR person is on record as saying that they had no intention of going head-to-head with AC2).

some people believe PR is just a pretty way of saying convincing liar.

i dont, but some people do

UPDATE....

Well I got an email today from Digital River....

Notum Wars is out of stock!

They will email me when they are going to ship my copy.

/me is less than pleased

Can't you just order it online from EBgames.com? Or isn't that a viable option? I just placed an order tonight for a 2 copys, one for my room mate, and myself. They usually ship within 2 days or so.
    Voide
    Clan Enforcer

"I could run forever, on these guilty shifter's feet"