Thread: Pet Handling (PvP)

Unhappy Pet Handling (PvP)

First off I'd like to state PvP isn't a big part of the game for me, but never the less when I'm in a certain mood I like to go have at it with another PC. That said I think there is a serious problem with pet mechanics that needs to be addressed in the PvP area.
    Last night I was in MMD and decided to fight an NT (I am also an NT) about 10 levels below who had a heal pet. I figured calm the pet and go to town on the NT. This is usualy the best way to deal with an outside healing pet. Little did I know the person this pet belonged to was hiding out of visual range so everyone would think this pet was attackable. Well short version is it wasn't and at several points it got the NT down to less than 1/4 at wich point he would root me and run so the pet would heal him (my roots stuck for every bit of 5 seconds while his lasted the entire time for some reason, and we were both using the exact same root, and I have 500 NR which is almost maxed for my level, but thats another thread). I eventualy ran out of nano and was taken down about 2 meters from the 75% area.
    I have no problem with outside healing because I can always back out to a range at which the healer wont be able to heal the other combatant or force the healer to come into the PvP zone making him fair game for others. But pets with MIA masters who I can't attack is a big problem in my opinion. If I can't attack or defend agains said pet I have little chance of surviving the fight.
    My suggestions for this are as follow. One, make it so that any pet who has been instructed to guard or heal a target that enters a PvP zone attackable so long as it stays in the PvP zone. This would allow people like myself to root or calm a pet that doesn't belong to the target its protecting, but if pet flees it wont bring others down on its master. Two, Make it so anyone who sets their pet to guard or heal a person who eneters a PvP zone open to attack by players in the PvP zone. This would cut down on outside help in general since the person giving the unfair advantage would be left open to attack. I think the issue its self lies in the fact that the PvP viability of the target is currently based on the master instead of the pet. So if a master is in 75% and the pet is in 25% the pet is rolled as 75% and is not open to attack. I think this should be changed to reflect the pet and not the master so people who have outside pets guarding them will not necessarly be recieving help from the pets for very long. Please take a serious look at this problem, I think it is an issue that needs to be resolved.
    Last edited by Olmy; Nov 25th, 2002 at 15:16:45.
    It matters little how we die, so long as we die better men then we imagined we could be--
    And no worse than we feared.

Olmy3 - Opifex Agent - Member of Wen-Tzu Enclave

I've never encountered this situation, but I would have thought, exactly like you, that, at the least, the pet would have been attackable. That it isn't, and this kind of stupid game can go on, is ridiculous. It is every bit analogous to having a soldier or agent, or other ranged attacker being able to attack into a PvP zone from the safety of a non-PvP area. Totally unacceptable.

I also think that the solution must involve either making the pet owner attackable, or not allowing pets into a PvP zone unless the owner is there too. The reason is to avoid having engineers engage in this cowardly activity. The usual approach to dealing with engineer pets is to kill the owner, so if the pet was just attackable and the owner not, this strategy would fail. The person would be forced to deal with the engi pet. Further, the engi could clearly just keep healing the pet with impunity. Simply dumb.