Thread: What should I start?

Exclamation What should I start?

Hello, I have tried most of the classes in AO. I never got higher then level 26 before I start a new characeter. I was playing a MA for a while, hitting for about 30-40 normal, until I teamed up with some people in Newlands. It was me, and NT, and an enforcer. The enforcer had a hammer and was hitting for over 130, while the NT was shooing things for 70-80 with some rifle. Both of them where yellow to me.

What I want to know is what is a good profession that can solo and can make money? I was reading the Soldier forums and I see a lot of people posting that they can not solo or make a decent ammout of money in later levels.

Anyone have any suggestions for me? I am willing to start any race/profession.

Thanks ahead of time,
    Dysan

Sure those hammers hit hard, but have you seen how slow they are ?

hammers takes 9 seconds per attack (2 seconds attack and 7 seconds recharge). Your MA's fist should be hitting, like every second or something (much faster).

although beams are faster than hammers (they are atrox only) they are still kinda slow with 6 seconds per attack (3.5 attack, 2,5 recharge)

But if you want to go solo, I'd recommend MP. lotsa pets and lots of fun NF's
    Last edited by Skybert; Jan 16th, 2002 at 11:35:50.

Wink Re: What should I start?

Originally posted by Dysan
    Anyone have any suggestions for me? I am willing to start any race/profession.

Thanks ahead of time,
    Dysan
    start an engineer .... we'r just the coolest guys around ehehehe ,)

no seriously, i'm a gimped lev50 neutral nanomage engineer and i don't *really* have probs soloin ..... there are some minor issues (cave mission/pathin in general/tradeskills erm lets say hard to use ehehehe), but with usin some work-arounds, they don't really count .....

and i guess those summon nanos (i don't have them personally so i don't really know) are *real* useful in groups .....
    tradeskillz ?

I can't really say what other peole should do, but I'm a simple character kind a gal so I like to play characters with not too many difficult pets or nanos to remember (I so won't be playing my trader for a while - to much math). I've now played my soldier to level 70 and my ma to level 33 (she's a reroll of my first character in retail, and now I actually get to use the attacks, yay). I also like my adventurer.

I can say that even if my ma does less damage with every attack she is still doing more damage than most people she groups with as she hits way faster too. The ma attacks do a great deal of damage as well. I'm still waiting to get to know how mas are in the higher levels though, but to me ma is the best profession when soloing and I've tried almost all of the professions at this point.

EDIT: forgot to add that my ma's heals have saved many lives by now . I just love playing my ma again. *grin*
    Last edited by peekaboo; Jan 16th, 2002 at 12:29:11.

Well, this is my opinion :

Enforcer - 90% use a hammer/beam. Boring. Slow. Not really damaging over lv 80 (when they can overequip into a ql200 mallet), and if they dont overequip the weapon they arent competitive. Unable to solo.

Soldier - same as above (but with Nova Flow)

Agent - Fun character to play (false profession), is agroed a lot due to high criticals (if you equip the right weapon). Can solo mission (sneak only).

Bureaucrat - Never have really given this class a try, definatly something on my todo list !!

Fixer - Can be fun is you like the speed. But other than that, i didnt see much use for this class. Needs some attention.

Engineer - HIGHLY gimped. Can only really do damage with a RED bot which requires other professions' buffs. Not easily soloable (if you mean soloable as in not using other professions to buff you).

Nano Technician - Ability to solo single reds (with use of root/nuke/root trick). This profession comes alive when in a team of 6 NTs all doing AOE nanos (Area Of Effect) in the middle of a huge green spawn - fun fun fun

Meta-P - Have you seen the mess with a team of 6 MPs??
    !Lagville! MPs solo with ease. They can solo anything their pets can take out (send attacker in to kill with heal pet on it - easy). This is the LAZIEST of all the classes. Can solo missions with ease (except those damn missions with water/acid - pathfinding).

Adventurer - An interesting class. Able to solo easy mobs/missions, but not really dedicated for the tougher mobs. But hey, who cares when you can turn into a Dragon ! *dreams*

Trader - We come to the 'math' profession. Not only can these chars do HUGE crits with their Shotguns......they can also buff all the puny professions into their gimpy weapons. Prob same soloing as the adventurer, never had to solo with my trader.....

Martial Artist - This profession has got to be most insanely best profession for soloing. With evade/dodge, high acs and fully buffed with all the nice MA nanos - they can solo reds. By reds, i mean soloing NW mobs at lv 42 without healing. This profession rips through green mobs without even taking a scratch.

Doctor - Soloable if you use loads of ips in weapon skills All a doc needs is a DECENT team that looks after him/her. Stand back and heal....what else can i say....

As for which breed to choose, for any/all of the above I would choose Opifex. Purely because they can equip higher level implants much quicker than the other professions. Also if you look at the costing on ip for the attributes (Str,Agi,Sta,Int,Sen,Psy) Opifex are the best.

Dont shoot me ! This is just MY outlook. (BTW this is PvM not PvP opinion). If you feel different, dont biatch, just explain your opinion.
    Variety is the ****E of life!

If you are concerned about damage and high leves I'd probably avoid the agent... we end up as one of the weakest classes at the moment. If you enjoy trying sneaking and don't mind failure then an agent might be for you... at some points we are able to easily sneak 100% missions and some levels it seems pretty much impossible. Plus conceal is pretty bugged.... last night I snuck my way through two lvl197 missions... but then couldn't hide from a Lvl50 cyborg in Omni-forest. For some reason grays see you about 80% of the time....

If your concern is soloing and you don't mind pets... go engie or meta... at the moment they are the only classes that can truly solo at later levels.

If you like groups Enforcers and Soldiers are great for groups

If you like PvP I'd suggest a vektor wielding Doc or a Home Defender Wielding Doc

Wink

Originally posted by *Bethany*
    ...Engineer - HIGHLY gimped. Can only really do damage with a RED bot which requires other professions' buffs. Not easily soloable (if you mean soloable as in not using other professions to buff you)....
    yeah, i'm not flamin you at all, but i just can't agree with that ... ,)

mmmm if you are talkin about doin 80%-100% difficulty missions, okee, no way i'm doin that alone ....

but i still manage to finish solo missions up to 75% (with some luck ehehe) without goin berserk or anythin ....

and if i remember how dang powerful i felt durin levs ~34 - 45, i would even say engis are *the* solo profession .... ,)

i'm down to a light orange bot at 50 now, and i still do quite well ... of course that patchy repairs nano changed from beein handy to an absolute must to survive ....
    tradeskillz ?

Wink Doc and MP

Hi there i think that all of these people have had some great advice. I have had some expierience with my only two characters. Those being my doc and my Meta I love them both the doc is fun for big teams (nano doc) he is kinda a god of big teams actually. But his soloing is sad. heh heh My meta on the other hand is lower level and is solely made right now as a soloer he is fun to play when i dont feal like talking to people or shouting for a team... Really i dont know what i would say is pick a profession and play it to L50-60 that is where you really start to se what they are all about...
    > Twillite <