Thread: Anyone has already finished reading....

Anyone has already finished reading....

the book?

damn i did and it was one hell of a story.
    That brings me to my question who is Vanya
    who is the creature that started it all and why
    nobody knows i know but what do you think?

*** BOOK SPOILERS ***

Yup... Got it Tuesday and read it all night until I fell asleep and the first thing I did when I woke up was finish the book

That was some good ****, I tells ya. All the characters were really cool and all the stories were really good. Ragnar did a great job of making it actually seem like different people were telling the stories too. It didn't just seem like one godly narrator.

I was just dissapointed in the ending. I figured with all the different stories we heard and all the confusion it took to understand it all, that it would all come together in the end. But, instead, we get a cliff-hanger. Kind of upsetting, but I hope they actually put out a sequel.

It also would have been a much easier read if they used a "20 years ago..." format instead of (or additon to) the "March, 2017" format. It was pretty hard to keep track, especially in the beginning where there was stuff during 2014, 2007, 2016, and 2017. I almost was ready to start taking notes, but then it got easier as it started just going forward in time instead of jumping around.

It also doesn't make much sense that me, a dinky level 27 Fixer, knows all this personal information on all these people, but, I think I'll live. It just makes me that much more interested in what happens in-game now that I actually have a better idea of the history and how Omni-tek came about (evil bastards. I switched from Omni to Clan as soon as I finished reading the book and seeing what kinda stuff they pulled).

To answer your question, no, I'm not really sure who Vanya is. I'm guessing he's some alien from a race that have done this kind of stuff before in other galaxies many times before and are just hell-bent on taking over everything. I really hope Roman and David play into the storyline in-game too.

To anyone out there that didn't read it, you definitely should.

Oh, and Vanya, I doubt you'll be able to keep that screen name very long. Looks like they're gonna be strict about that kind of stuff. You might wanna change it.

well...

we will see on the name policy lol hope i can keep it

anyway i think that preety soon it wont matter if your
    Omni or Clan with a potentialy common foe lurkin somewhere.

I hope the second book is comin soon rofl cant wait to read
    the next chapter on this story....

Thumbs up Finished the book

It was a very good read. Lots of background info, but what's more it brought up alot of new questions.

Why have "They" gone to all the trouble that they have? "They" have invested alot of time and effort to bring to past the events that have happened. That kind of effort isn't done as a hobby, there is a goal, and a motivation behind "Them".

One thing about the book that was a bit out of place was the emphasis that it put on death.
    As we all know death is not permanent anymore. If your village gets hit by a sattleilte based energy weapon and vaporized for aiding and abeting enemies of the lawful planetary athorities, SO WHAT? You'll be looking at a reclaim terminal in a few seconds. If you're to poor to have paid the scan fee recently, well perhapes you should get a better job.

Vanya - Alien?

Great, now when they see a Russian name they assume he is an alien, where the heck is this world going to? lol
    Major Shadowolf Marone
    Blade Corp
    "Leading mercenery organization in the Galaxy!"
    Position - CEO
    Rank - Major

Personal quote:
    "Your advertisement could be here"

Just a hunch here, but my first guess on Vanya's identity is:
    (slavic name, shadowy individual and obviously unspeakably evil)

a.) A vampire? It makes sense that Vampires would have a vested interest in continuing the survival of the human race, after all they need food...

b.) A manifestation of Satan or some other diabolical organization, spiritual or otherwise. After all, if you think about it, Roman made a pact... of sorts... and historically, pacts with such individuals often carry a price which is not apparent until much much later...

c.) Aliens. I consider this option truly the least likely, based on the tone of the descriptions of Vanya. Plus I am biased against the belief of sentient aliens participating in our day to day affairs, even on a macro-political-economic sense. I personally believe that sentient aliens would have little or no interest in humanity as we know it, but then we're sorta stretching things a bit and getting off subject....

I'm wanting to believe the vampire theory, but I think that, judging from the book, the descriptions of Vanya lend more credence to my second hypothesis... After all, *as far as we know*, Vanya and his compatriots did nothing to aid the propagation of the Solitus and were not hinted at as to being preying upon the Omegas, and you would think that the vampires would be a bit more concerned about their food supply of the solitus completely getting wiped out.

But only the next book will tell for certain. Come now, you didn't really believe Omni Tek was munificent or benign did you? There are some of us who, all along *knew* they were evil, to the core. In closing, I would like to draw your attention to some closing words of an old name that is dear to me-
    Pissed off fixer, now playing enforcer, Cogs

Lightbulb

I'd guess that Vanya is actually someone from our time period or close too it who is trying to influence the cross roads that the trailers hint at.

Ren

Talking Storyline

The key fact is that these super powerfull beings ( whatever they are ) have been unable to intervene directly in Earths history but instead via manipulation of data and people this would indicate that Humans can either provide something that they require and that this thing is something they cannot personnally get invlolved with. The obvious inferance is that Notum is the aim of the game and the storyline will probably run that weay.

I would also expect other "agents" hostile to the Vanya group to get involved at some point ... infighting within infighting

Cerialis

Based on how well Ragnar developed the Omega personalities, I think it's safe to say that "Vanya" and his kind could very easily be an alien race. Immortality would create a very interesting outlook on things and considering that the notum on Rubi-Ka is almost a "natural" form of nanobots, I think it's safe to say that other races besides humans would be interested in it. Aside from that, the very ending, when "Vanya" reveals himself was distinctly Lovecraftian, and I liked it quite a bit. I think one thing we can say for sure about them is that they're pretty much incomprehensible. Complete alien intelligence.
    Clan fixer, Fourth Title

Director of Information
    Analog Myth

OK, notum is almost a natual form of nanobot/technology, so what happens if these actually got there own thoughts? could Vanya actually be just a manifistation of Rubi-Ka being alive? and possibly it is what caused the dreams of David and the tribe of Allysa? could it be maniupulating the minds of the people of this planet? ohhh so many questions and so much we don't know. Wheres book 2? (can't wait).
    Major "Nyadach" Prabel
    Neutral and proud of it!

bump!

I just finished the book and I am beginning to read it thru again ^_^ I think the "alien" theory about Vanya is the most possible, but who knows... I like the Idea of the "manifestation of RK made man", maybe ruby-ka (or some aliens who inhabited it before a catastrophe, who knows? maybe they needed OT terraforming, and they couldn't do that themselves, hehe) has created the Omega on earth (the only civilized planet *they* knew in the universe) to be able to get to RK in some time and then do some work for them... Oh, I think we will see something in the storyline, but surely some more background must be revealed (something more focused on the first millennia of ruby-ka, the formation of clans, the big war, the birth of the CoT, and so on), so there will come book 2... I must have it soon!
    Naima - Sorcerer of Atlantean, at the service of the Clans since 29475

Questions, questions!!

OK so some thoghts I've had. David is an immortal in the sence that he doesn't age but needs to eat sleep etc. How did this happen? We know that the Omega were much closer to true immortals through the use of nanobots, ie they could only be killed by starving the nanobots or incredible amounts of damage far beyond anything that anybody could withstand in the game at the moment. The bit where David id conceived and the murder of an Omega indicates that putting an Omega through a meat mincer wouldn't even kill them just put them out of action for a few hours!!!!

So how comes David is immortal?!?

Technology, OK not much was really said about this in the book except when refering to the nanobots and a bit of space flight. Have they reclaimed the technology lost from the Omega. Even at the end of the book there are strong hints that they have not. This is when the planet is first landed upon by the Omni-Tech scouts. This is only about a thousand years short of the present world we play in and this is about 20 000 years after the fall of the Omega!!! So since getting the Notum have we exceeded the Omega yet? Is this perhaps what the health its could be considered a massive increase in our nanobots with specific programs pre programmed to carryout the necessary repairs to our body, and so all we lack is the ability to contain this energy??

Perhaps we could look at this as the difference in levels of characters? A level 200+ character would be coming close to the levels of an Omega especially when compared to a level 1

/occ: Vanya's organization has demonic abilities, and attributes. They appear to have natural immortality. They manipulate human events from behind the scenes with extreme malevolence (if wiping out the human race isn’t malevolent I don’t know what is). They have access to knowledge that is deeply hidden. (i.e.: they knew about Roman Dragovich Zubov’s research and contacted him.) They have the ability to alter their physical appearance to human form, from “demonic” natural form.

Sounds very much like the classic description of demons.

Vampires are almost plausible, but classic accounts of them don’t allow for them to be out in sunlight. Vanya lead Roman across the snow for a couple of days. Vampires also are not described as having demonic natural appearances.

Aliens are a possibility, but if they have the technology to travel to earth, why not just head to Rubi-Ka instead? Why go to all the trouble of manipulation?
    ------------------------------------------------
    General Blyzzard
    Division 9
    Strat Ops
    -----------------------------------------------