Thread: You know your game is worth playing when...

Arrow You know your game is worth playing when...

You're willing to pay THIS much for a character:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1318221965

Insanity. But it raises an interesting point: would any level 200 character in AO ever fetch this much on eBay? Thoughts?

That cant be real. EQ had that crap, false bids and stuff. Im sure that someone with no history is going to spend 3200 bucks to buy an account.

Go figure...
    I think at this point with AO a 200 character wouldn't fetch an awful lot.

I'd have to say that it has something to do with the leveling process being unbearable and people willing to do anything to avoid actually having to _play_ a character.

It also probably has something to do with the 'flavor of the month' syndrome. Towers in UO sold for thousands of dollars a couple years ago. I don't know if that's still the case.

Having gotten to approximately the same point in both games (25 in DAoC and 55 in AO) in terms of where the 'grind' starts, I can say for sure that I might have a character at lvl200 in the next 3 years on Rubi'Ka. I had difficulty even logging on anymore in the other game. It's all a matter of taste, I guess.

I for one love the potential that _this_ game presents. Every time I run into a bubbling zone wall and it won't let me through, I think 'I can't wait till they open that zone up'. I been thinking about how large the terraformed portion of the planet is. In all reality, it's got to be about as big as Alaska. That's pretty huge and more is on its way.

A game is only as small and boring as you choose to make it. I see level junkies all the time hanging out in Broken Shores because it's the 'only way to level.' You wonder if they've ever been to Perpetual Wastelands. Perhaps if AO were more popular, these people would be the ones paying 3K for a lvl 200 account.

My character levels. He's happy when he does because it opens up more to explore. I suppose lvl200 will come in time. I won't be so bored out of my mind that I'll have to pay for it, however.

If you look at the completed items you can see plenty of completed auctions for level 50 or very close to level 50 characters in DAOC, sometimes two level 50 chars on one account and about the highest one only finished at $500. This is almost certainly a hoax. Either someone doesn't like the guy and is bidding really high just to mess up his auction, or he wasn't going to get enough money so he has changed his mind and he's bidding really high on his own character so that he wont have to sell it, or maybe even he is bidding on his own char trying to inflate the price to get someone crazy to bid on it. The chance of someone paying 6 times what the highest bids were on other characters for for this one is pretty much nil.

Agreed about the hoax thing. The top bidder is also an anonymous one, so most likely this auction will run afoul.

But still, I'm sure the developers of DAoC would be proud if their characters were being sold "legitamitely" for that much on eBay, eh?

LOL! Hope that guy isn't expecting to see 3k.

Anyone who would buy a fake video game character for even a 13th of that money, is insane.
    "By the way, if anyone here is in marketing or advertising: kill yourself." --Bill Hicks
    "Have we turned into gerbils? People are paying money to walk up invisible steps over and over again." --Dennis Leary

vegbetty (0) $3,150.00 Jan-14-02 13:10:22 PST
    familygregguy (0) $3,100.00 Jan-14-02 13:09:18 PST
    vegbetty (0) $3,000.00 Jan-14-02 13:02:19 PST
    hixexofhenry (0) $2,000.00 Jan-10-02 13:17:21 PST
    letou (1) $1,450.00 Jan-14-02 09:46:58 PST
    letou (1) $1,350.00 Jan-14-02 09:03:37 PST
    invisigoth88 (7) $1,275.00 Jan-11-02 20:51:19 PST
    forum182 (38) $1,200.00 Jan-07-02 00:35:21 PST

look at the last few bids dose anyting seem out of place? the bid goes from 1450 dollards to 3150 dollard in 5 bids? for seome resion that dose not seem verry likly. look at the tme frame more closlly there is a large gap in time for the last bids... not real consistant with bidding as it normaly stantds.

EDIT: also if you look at other bids on ebay for DAOC some of the bids like a level 47 only going for 300 dollars..... humm yea someting seems out of place....
    Last edited by Lozer; Jan 15th, 2002 at 03:44:19.
    Level 132 Nano-Techniction <---- Retired till NT fix
    Level 72. Engineer <---- why is my pet running the wrong way?
    Level 69. Agent <---- Retired sence Concealment Nerf.
    Level 58. Adventure <---- TONS of lost ip.
    Level 41. Meta.<--- Mp's are too uber.
    Level 30. Enforcer <---- press "Q" and watch tv.
    Level 29. Doc <---- Can't..... Find.... Group.....

Quote of the week "When people complain equally about all of the classes, then the game is balanced."