Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cz, I feel pity for you.

Cz, I feel pity for you.

*watches Cz getting pelted with posts from all sides*

Seriously Cz .. right now I don't envy you your job.

Still, good idea with splitting up the patch notes on the boards so it's not all one big confused spam fest.

Keep up the good work.

Alex "Cado" Portello - Atrox Enforcer
    Lakisha "Sheelai" Thompon - Solitus Doctor
    Al "Asdur" Orender - Solitus Martial Artist

I have no nose .. I peeked on Ani while she took a shower!

Yeah, Cz's job is tough. But by in large it is tough because Funcom's policies make it tough. A good chunk of the complaints arise because people don't understand how these changes fit into the complete picture. Why not? Because Funcom doesn't tell you what the complete picture is.

The thing with using Riposte for the MA root-breaker is a good example. Out of the blue riposte is now important for MAs. Some hints that Riposte will be useful for other things some vague time in the future have been alluded to. But what they are, and when they will come is anyone's guess.

So now MAs are going to have to somehow redistribute their IP to make use of this important feature. Is it worth it? Unless you understand what else riposte will be used for, you can't make a decision except on the basis of the one known ability. Obviously, people think the choice is a harsh one.

Also, there are other pieces that are missing; being unable to break roots was not the only problem MAs faced. Are these other problems going to be addressed? Or is this root-breaker seen as solving the main MA problems? Nobody has any idea. So they have to assume the worst, that is, assume the present situation is seen by Funcom as a solution of sorts, because the present is all people have got to work with.

In short, if Funcom wants to cut down on the complaints and flaming and whining, then they had better make their comprehensive plans of profession development clear, so people can deal with the facts, and not indulge in negative thinking. As they haven't, and don't seem to have any intent of doing so, they have created their own pit of vipers. They could clear most of it out of they wanted to, but they don't, so I have no pity for them at all.

i feel for CZ.
    most AO player dont seem to be older then (lvl) 12

/me prostrates in front of the mighty (thong wearing soldier) CZ
    Achmed20 RK1 Fixer
    noone gives u power,
    real power is something u take

fear my lockpick ... plz?

Cz.....man I honestly do not WANT your job after seeing all the flames and attacks you have to deal with. Remember that there are at least some of us out here that understand what you have to put up with and do.

Amen. You poor, poor guy Cz.

When you're handed Patch Notes you have got to be immediately assaulted with the "Little Worm on a Big Freaking Hook" Syndrome.
    Chinarain
    Omni-Exploration Corps.

He makes his living helping to make games.

How bad can that be?
    Fear is the Mind Killer.
    You wasted life, why wouldn't you waste death?

Sheesh

Originally posted by Wraith God
    The thing with using Riposte for the MA root-breaker is a good example. Out of the blue riposte is now important for MAs.
    What's the big deal anyway? It's probably a balance issue. Like why did they make GA require a useless nanoskill like Matter Creation? If you don't like the Riposte reqs, then don't use that root-breaking path.

CZ chooses to be employed by Funcom.

Simple as that.

bump, and be damned

Cz has a dreadful job, and he's done well over a very bad patch release.

Cz, well done on maintaining yer cool. Difficult job in difficult circumstances. Trouble is, that probably means you're the right man for the job :=)

Chin up, nil illegitimi carborundum

i could do his job better i think. i would make a sample email that went something like this...

dear >>insert name of someone wanting a nerf here<<

i recieved your email/PM that you think profession xxx needs to be nerfed. i'm not going to bother passing that thoughtless drivel on to the devs. now run along little girl before i call your mom.

sincerely, CZjr.

hopefully he will make a letter just like that and send it out whenever some of these kids start complaining to him

Re: Sheesh

Re: having MA root-breaker tied to riposte

Originally posted by zugs

What's the big deal anyway? It's probably a balance issue. Like why did they make GA require a useless nanoskill like Matter Creation? If you don't like the Riposte reqs, then don't use that root-breaking path.
    The point in my post was not to support or oppose the choice. My point was that it was out of the blue, and people have to speculate, as you have done, about why its that way, and where its leading. As such Funcom has generated a lot of unnecessary angst and discussion.

It makes perfect sense.
    To understand why the skill requires Riposte, you have to understand what riposte is. without bringing up the obvious fencing or real life martial arts references, the basic definition of riposte is turning an attacker's attack back on them. They thrust, you parry and return their attack back on them using their own momentum.

In the case of waves of summer, you're reversing the root and adding your own damage and stun onto it. If that's not a riposte, I don't know what is. It's one of the most brilliant things they've done and I hope to see the riposte skill used in regular attacks, now that the parry skill works.

Couple of things:

Range - I'm sure this hasn't been decided, but the only way to make it work is to have the range the same as the caster's nanoprogram. You are, after all, throwing the nano back at the attackers. This is REALLY going to make someone think twice about carelessly trying to root an MA.

Skill checks - I'm assuming that the chance for success will be a roll between your riposte skill vs. the nanoskill of the opponent vs. their nanoskill. If you'r riposte is high, you have a better chance of reversing the nano attack. If their nano resist is high, then they have a chance of resisting the riposted nano attack and you're back to square one

Skill lock duration - Only way this is going to be decent is if there is a zero - five second lock on riposte skill. Something silly like 40 seconds is only going to destroy this excellent idea and will result in you getting rooted on the second try. If the attacker can re-root in five seconds, I should have a chance to re-riposte in five seconds too.

this is a step in the right direction, but in no way is it a lifesaver for the MA profession. I will welcome this move with open arms and give Funcom ALOT of respect for not waiting a year to add it though.

Damage wise, without our crits we're hurting. I can see why Funcom wants fights to last longer and doesn't want us to base our victories 100% on crits. Okay. Suggestions.

1) Raise base damage on fists. Not a whole lot, but some. Lemme rephrase that....I'm not looking for each punch to hit as hard as a beam, but I'd like a bit more kick than 100 damage per hit with 1120 MA skill. Just a little bitty bit when you take my other ideas into consideration.

2) make dimach recharge MUCH quicker (The devs were already thinking about this), based on dimach skill and maybe initiatives. Higher aggression = faster dimach recharge yet you lose out on evades. Risk vs. reward

3) make brawl recharge dependent on initiative, just like burst.

4) MA attacks are very low powered damage wise, especially in pvp, but they have some damned cool modifiers (since the changes). Again, BRILLIANT ideas on the new MA attack changes. SOMEbody there has their thinking cap on! But to add on to those changes, make the different types of MA attacks lock a different skill. Shen and bwt will lock dimach, attack of the snake and BoP will lock MA, bright blue cloudless sky, Angel of Night and Flower of life, I dunno. Make it lock something, maybe first aid and treatment? Actually that's perfect.

5) Make MA attacks useable by all MA weapons that require 66% or more MA skill to use.

All of these attacks are pretty sorry damage-wise if you look at each individual attack, but the whole key is the chaining up of attacks REALLY fast that equals great overall damage.

None of these proposed suggestions overpowers the MA, but it adds so much variety to our attacks and would make the MA ALOT ALOT of fun to pvp with. Versus professions like fixers and docs, we would still have one hell of a time competing, but we'd be on par with an enforcer or melee adventurer.

Variety does not make a class overpowered or funcom's love child, it makes the profession fun and restores balance. MAs were balanced before the patch, but I'd be willing to give admit that maybe we were balanced for the wrong reasons?

they want longer matches because longer matches in pvp are alot more fun. Nobody wants to step onto the battlefield and get owned in three seconds only to have to wait six minutes before stepping back into the ring and getting owned again. That's the frustration of pvp. Making fights last longer gives damage over time professions like the MP, NT, ADV and fixer a better chance.

It still is rock, scissors, paper and I think I'm actually starting to see where the devs are coming from again. Gaute admitted that the crit changes hit the MAs harder than other professions and I think they WILL try to make amends, but we have to give some realistic suggestions.

do these ideas sound reasonable to anyone? Man, I really do hope Cz or someone from the dev team reads this post!!!
    Nanomage: The OTHER other white meat

Can we not discuss stuff on this message ? This is intended as a hearfelt thoughts for the crap Cz has to deal with...not yet another forum for you to rehash the same old debates and thoughts in a different forum.

Talking yeah

yeah, cz does indeed a nice job ,)

/me offers cz another cookie as a sign of respect
    tradeskillz ?

Lightbulb New Patch

I think that CZ is doing an admirable job considering everything he has to deal with.

Maybe the next patch should be focused on some CZ luvin' intead of all the requests for class luvin'.

Keep up the momentum CZ and don't lose faith.

We still believe in you.

Dominaetryx, 155 Engineer
    Daemonestra, 158 Doc
    Vini, Vidi, Vici, Vino...I came, I saw, I conquered, then I had a glass of wine.

T-shirts are available in the lobby for a nominal fee...get yours now...supplies are limited.

/me munches on the offered cookies, and continues with the complete patch notes and other work, so the boss might unlock his chain and let him home for the day

I just hope FunCom remember to heal their meat shield.

In the case of Cz, they give him all the HoT's they've got, Fire Shields and Flame proof asbest armor.

Oh .. and Ovenmittens .. can't forget those.

*hands Cz a lockpick while noone else looks*
    *watches Cz munch on the lockpick and attempting to use the cookie as a lockpick*

*sighs*

Guess you'll have a long workday this time around.
    Last edited by Cado; Nov 21st, 2002 at 20:08:56.
    Alex "Cado" Portello - Atrox Enforcer
    Lakisha "Sheelai" Thompon - Solitus Doctor
    Al "Asdur" Orender - Solitus Martial Artist

I have no nose .. I peeked on Ani while she took a shower!

Talking

Hmmm at least CZ won't get chilly during all those long, cold Norwegian nights. I hope that you know everyone really doesn't hate you. Actually, the emotion people get over nerfs are probably the largest compliment that FUncom gets. People have to care, a great deal, to get as upset as they do over a game. I am sure everyone will be furious this weekend. So when we are boarding the plane for Norway with a length of piano wire secreted somewhere on our persons we won't be knocking on your door. We know that its the Devs that do the nerfing. So, in this calm before the storm I will say "Thank you for the good effort, and sorry for the upcoming flames."
    Bad Fixer
    Non Illegitimus Carborundum Est!

You never get rid of flames and whines. EVERY single MMORPG in existence receives just as many flames on their boards as AO does. But yeah, Cz handles it well. Very respectable guy.
    -BlueMagic

Blue "Zyian" Magic RK1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast