Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 14.7.1 : GUI changes

Which isn't true unfortunately. As an owner of a GF4 with NVidia's latest certified drivers, I'm afraid I can't find a gamma control on the display comntrol panel anywhere...

---------

It's there, though. <grin> Just a bit tricky to find. nview tab of GF4 card advanced properties, 'device settings' button, color correct.

Has gamma, brightness (seperate from gamma, real brightness adjust), digital vibrance (color saturation) controls, etc.

Oh yes, the 14.7.1 on test is MUCH 'brighter' than the current world, for whatever reason.

Omni Trade's ground is now greyish blue, instead of brown, and quite visible even at mid night. Outdoors is also much brighter ground at mid night. Whether they intended this is another question, but the graphics changes include some texture color changes like this.

Under Color Correction (available in additional properties, display settings) there's an option for brightness, contract and gamma with the Nvidia drivers.
    A Genuine Lucien - Accept No Substitutes

Originally posted by Lucien
    Under Color Correction (available in additional properties, display settings) there's an option for brightness, contract and gamma with the Nvidia drivers.
    Originally posted by Evil "Evilspork" Spork
    My modern graphics card - a GF4400 - has brightness, contrast, hue, and saturation controls. None of them have any actual effect on anything, though, they just move around and are fun to play with.
    Anything else I can try?
    Originally posted by Whaambulance
    Hi.

This is singlehandedly the stupidest post I have EVER read on these forums. Congradulations.
    'Balancing' Nanos Will Remain Imbalanced Vs. Old Nanos - Because We Said So!

O Gaute, Gaute! Wherefore art thou Gaute?
    Deny thy nerfs and refuse thy lame design decisions;
    Or, if thou wilt not, be but on the forums,
    And I'll no longer be a whiner.

Originally posted by Evil "Evilspork" Spork
    Anything else I can try?
    You might try either PowerStrip or RivaTuner. Either one should help.

There is going to be a huge outcry to nerf the AOE Blinds.
    Engies can have the aura running that gives approx -1200 AMS AND blinds you.
    unless you're a fixer that can evac, or are in a wide open space with a lot of runspeed, i think you're more or less dead if that hits you.
    Add in rootbreaking-area-snaring-enhanced-damage slayers and I think that engies just became the new mass pvp uber prof.

time will tell.

--Rookie Teh "Wobble" Sux----------------------- AKA-----------------------Pirate "Ninjapirate" Dog--
    -+Legion+-
    WTB ATI T&L fix, h8 D3D.

Allowing another person to essentualy turn off my monitor while I'm playing a game is in no way a good thing. I can understand a debuff associated with a blind. You're BLINDED so you miss the enemy you're shooting at. Allowing them to turn off my monitor takes control of the game from me and gives it to someone else! Hell what's next? In 3 or 4 patches down the road will Crats be able to charm other players? You're already giving control of MY game to the blinder by allowing them to turn of my video.

Originally posted by Wobble
    There is going to be a huge outcry to nerf the AOE Blinds.
    Engies can have the aura running that gives approx -1200 AMS AND blinds you.
    unless you're a fixer that can evac, or are in a wide open space with a lot of runspeed, i think you're more or less dead if that hits you.
    Add in rootbreaking-area-snaring-enhanced-damage slayers and I think that engies just became the new mass pvp uber prof.

time will tell.

Don't you touch my AE blinds ! That combined with AE nukes are the two most fun things to do in large battles
    Seid. Clan Nano Technician, Atlantean
    Proud member of Opposing Force ( Website )
    Seid's Hideout : Home of the Friends List Tool
    I would like to see a mail system in AO, for letters, money and goods, and with mail order !

Originally posted by Unit99
    Allowing another person to essentualy turn off my monitor while I'm playing a game is in no way a good thing. I can understand a debuff associated with a blind. You're BLINDED so you miss the enemy you're shooting at. Allowing them to turn off my monitor takes control of the game from me and gives it to someone else! Hell what's next? In 3 or 4 patches down the road will Crats be able to charm other players? You're already giving control of MY game to the blinder by allowing them to turn of my video.
    Yes. We can now blind you. As we were supposed to be able to since day 1. What, don't like NT's and other blinders to be able to do something to you ? What a shame. Better avoid us then

As for the MY game bit. This is not YOUR game. It is a MULTI PLAYER game. Like it or not, you are, as I am, just one more player on whatever side of the conflict.

But if you are blinded, then your teammates can still assist you. PvP was never meant to be a 1 on 1 duel you know. I know that it has boiled down to that since the servers keeled over every time someone tried doing a large scale battle. But hopefully post-booster servers will be able to deal with real battles.

Personally I love a big battle with every profession doing their bit. Then you no longer have an equipment contest, but a teamplay contest.

AE nukes and AE blinds are good strategic tools, but will not win the war alone. And they work both ways.
    I would like to see a mail system in AO, for letters, money and goods, and with mail order !

Hmmm, can't see anything, isn't that part of the definition of "blind"?

And while I don't think Players will ever be able to charm each other, there are other games where you have to worry about the NPC's charming you.. I remember several times in EQ, where my character suddenly turned around and started beating on my teammates...

This is the way is should of always been.

<edit> oh, and I beleive if you know your hotkeys, you can still cast and such, it's just going to be a little harder.

Last edited by speardancer; Nov 21st, 2002 at 17:38:42.
    Deagnor 204 Solitus Fixer (Omni) Director of R.U.R.
    ---*** Other RuRians ***---
    83 Opti Pistol Advent Motafrancis | Ovnor 161 Solitus Engineer
    117 Nanomage NT Knightweaver | DiceSlice 83 Opti 1HE Advent
    145 NanoMage MP Miner49 | Mohelunz 69 Solitus Doc
    141 Atrox Enf Cluedozer | Icewrench 63 Opti Fixer
    Icelo 57 Opti Keeper
    Sig updated Sept 2, 2008

Originally posted by speardancer
    Hmmm, can't see anything, isn't that part of the definition of "blind"?

And while I don't think Players will ever be able to charm each other, there are other games where you have to worry about the NPC's charming you.. I remember several times in EQ, where my character suddenly turned around and started beating on my teammates...

This is the way is should of always been.

Why is it the way it should of always been? Because it's like that in EQ?

No, let's try this little experiment tho..

Take something that's not transparent, and cover your eyes. Can you see anything? No?

That's the reason it should be that way.

Originally posted by Vydas

Why is it the way it should of always been? Because it's like that in EQ?
    Deagnor 204 Solitus Fixer (Omni) Director of R.U.R.
    ---*** Other RuRians ***---
    83 Opti Pistol Advent Motafrancis | Ovnor 161 Solitus Engineer
    117 Nanomage NT Knightweaver | DiceSlice 83 Opti 1HE Advent
    145 NanoMage MP Miner49 | Mohelunz 69 Solitus Doc
    141 Atrox Enf Cluedozer | Icewrench 63 Opti Fixer
    Icelo 57 Opti Keeper
    Sig updated Sept 2, 2008

Two fine examples why the blinds should NOT turn off my or anyone elses video. I would view it as harassment for someone to constantly turn off my video as it is obviously interferring with my gameplay. It's going to be such a big fun joke for those 2 to go around turning off the video of other players. And yes eventually if they are starting to let someone else control my video in my game it will lead to players being able to charm and control other players. And I could really care less what they do in EQ although it seems obvious fc is bent of copying all their mistakes that never worked or made people happy there. And yes the blinds are supposed to make you blind this is why your chances of hitting your opponent while blinded (debuff) should be applied NOT allowing me to turn off your video.

The new harassment profession of choice. NT! Hey I can go around harassing people by turning off their video. And I can spam it to keep harassing them for extended periods of time. And yay FC wont punish me because it's the way they wanted it.

Get real people!

Here's something I'm betting none of you are thinking about...

Emergency healing kits.

30 seconds of blindness.

Even using the best treatment kits I can (ql170) that I HAVE to find in missions or actually do missions for, I only get at best 1/2 of that the Emergeny healing kits can do.

What does this mean?

Means that now everyone over level 150 with 6k+health is going to be sitting there longer trying to heal up instead of using one or two shots from an emergency hit to get 5k health back.

While some of this "makes sense" being completely (screen black) blind is, and I agree with the above pointless grief play. Having the screen become darker and objects in your immediate vicinety difficult to see is one thing, having everything black for the entire fight... I'll be pressing evac a lot when I see this and go do something else.

And for those of you that say, "Well it only lasts a few seconds." Guess what NOTHING prevents you from casting blind, nuke, blind, nuke, blind, nuke, and for the running class, blind, nuke, root, blind, nuke, root.

Inregards to Seid's post: But if you are blinded, then your teammates can still assist you. PvP was never meant to be a 1 on 1 duel you know.

The concept of AoE (Area of Effect) blind nano's is lost on you isn't it? How is a teammate that is also blinding with me, being AoE nuked and unable to see which way to run for cover or attack the person casting to begin with going to help me? They're not. I'll just see more team "EVAC US"
    The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live! - Unknown

"I've always wanted to be somebody, but I see now I should have been more specific." - L. Tomlin

Vyker - 182 Fixer
    ** Card Carrying Union Member (team)

Originally posted by Tiran
    It's there, though. <grin> Just a bit tricky to find. nview tab of GF4 card advanced properties, 'device settings' button, color correct.

Has gamma, brightness (seperate from gamma, real brightness adjust), digital vibrance (color saturation) controls, etc.
    Ah-ha! found that button... pity it doesn't do anything... hmm, looks like an e-mail to Nvidia is due.. the nView page is useless and there is another one where I see only narrow stripes of the page - *very* wierd...

And yes, 14.7 is brighter, at night at least. Possibly too bright... night now looks not unlike day, rather removing the point of having it at all...
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

Two fine examples why the blinds should NOT turn off my or anyone elses video. I would view it as harassment for someone to constantly turn off my video as it is obviously interferring with my gameplay. It's going to be such a big fun joke for those 2 to go around turning off the video of other players. And yes eventually if they are starting to let someone else control my video in my game it will lead to players being able to charm and control other players. And I could really care less what they do in EQ although it seems obvious fc is bent of copying all their mistakes that never worked or made people happy there. And yes the blinds are supposed to make you blind this is why your chances of hitting your opponent while blinded (debuff) should be applied NOT allowing me to turn off your video.

The new harassment profession of choice. NT! Hey I can go around harassing people by turning off their video. And I can spam it to keep harassing them for extended periods of time. And yay FC wont punish me because it's the way they wanted it.

Get real people!
    As I recall, blinds are hostile nanos, and as such you'd only be able to cast them on another player in a PvP situation.

Now your going to tell me that PvP is harrasment... (Not counting griefing which is almost non-existant now anyway...)

And, a blind doesn't turn off your video. Just makes it very hard to see (but you *can* still see, just not very well..)
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

i don't like it when mobs take control of my display and force me back to the reclaim without my consent.

look on the bright side: your frame rate will go through the roof.

Hell, I already get a 20-30 second blind run on me every time I zone in to Omni Trade or Broken Shores...

- DrVixen

When I'm blinded, my map - along with all the pretty arrows and player dots and mob dots and door dots - works just fine. So what you do when you're blinded (high concept here)...is look for that mass of white dots, point your arrow in the OPPOSITE DIRECTION, then RUN AWAY!

Next they're gonna get on roots for taking control away from their keyboard...
    Originally posted by Whaambulance
    Hi.

This is singlehandedly the stupidest post I have EVER read on these forums. Congradulations.
    'Balancing' Nanos Will Remain Imbalanced Vs. Old Nanos - Because We Said So!

O Gaute, Gaute! Wherefore art thou Gaute?
    Deny thy nerfs and refuse thy lame design decisions;
    Or, if thou wilt not, be but on the forums,
    And I'll no longer be a whiner.

=)~

Originally posted by Cz
    grabbed hold of me now and told me the (E)LLTS will in fact have no visual effect anymore, so there's no need to be able to turn it off. I think there's a few that will like that change.
    /prostrate Gaute and the horse that brings the word !
    Cz lets battle bots !
    "You eat the Bronto Burger, I want a taco !"

Guild Storm

Formula44 Fixer
    Fishtaco Engineer NEW NAME is Craftwoman
    Americanpie Agent - Retired
    proctology Doctor
    formula Bureaucrat
    Account Created 2001-06-27 15:29:57

Get real people!
    No, YOU get real. Blind is an OFFENSIVE nano. That means NOONE can blind you unless you PVP !

If you dont want to risk being blinded, don't PvP. I dont really see the big deal.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast