Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgrade your servers

RAM

Well, seeing as I only have 1 gig of RAM loading AO into a ram drive isn't really an option atm. However I do have 4 gigs of VM as my min/max so that shouldn't be a problem.

Question is WHY does FC have ping acceptance turned off? Not that pings cause more lag, perhaps they know their servers aren't up to par and they know they are the problem and they don't us to have proof? Eh, maybe maybe not, who knows. It's speculation until a FC rep comes here and admits that their equipment needs upgrading and that will happen about the same time Hell freezes over.

Hatchet, they have ping acceptence turned off to prevent denial of service attacks against them. Its a basic defense for a large server like theres.

I would just like to point out a slight problem with your argument. you are saying it MUST be Funcom's fault, because you are suffering lag, and your equipment is up to spec. Now, if you where right, EVERYONE would have to suffer atleast the same amount as lag as you do (as its all funcoms fault). However people have posted here and told you they dont. This means its likely another problem rather than sub standard servers at Funcom.

Hugs

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

oh, and pings do cause lag. anything that uses up bandwidth causes lag, as other information cant be sent at the same time. all a ping is is a small amount of information sent to another compuer and resent back to you to time it. It will take up some bandwidth, and will create lag to and from that other computer or server.

Hugs

lilnymph
    Originally posted by Cz

Style over Substance

fault

I understand what you're saying and partially agree with you. I don't think it is *all* FC's fault. However I do not think that they are doing everything they can to ensure the best possible gaming experience for their customers.

And techinically this thread isn't about the current lag issues in AO (however it *is* pretty bad when Tir goes down twice a night) it's about the potiential (probable) problems they will incur upon the release of Notum Wars.

Imagine if you will the pics on the main AO page. See all those nice lights (all 8 of them?), see all the graphics and special effects going off? Well, that's just the mines and towers appearently. Now to all that add 60 people trying to hold a battle.

Hell, if FC can't keep Tir running for a week straight (and people aren't constantly fighting in all areas of Tir) do you honestly believe that they will be able to support the major attacks that we are potientially looking at in Notum Wars?

I'm inclined to believe (and until they let me beta test it I won't believe anything else) that they seriously need to take a serious look at not only the stability of their servers but the number of servers available and their "newness". Are they top of the line or outdated by 5 years?

You say people don't have a problem, but try running through Tir a few times at primetime. Hang out when the server overloads and crashes, or go to a large event (we went and attacked The One last night and even with 2 full teams we were laggy - and that's WAY out in the middle of SFH with no one around - and no, I was not the only one getting lag).

Anyway, if it is mostly "client" lag like you say then they need to change the minimum system requirements from what it is to P14 9.5 ghz with 100 gigs of UbEr RAM because what is going on now isn't working and it's not going to work for Notum Wars.

Hatchet

Lilnymph, he's not looking for a reason for lag or whatever he suffers .. he's looking for something to rant about.

Doesn't matter if we tell him it's a problem or not, he believes it to be a problem.
    We cannot tell him otherwise, even if we could take a machine that ran flawlessly and showed it to him IRL. He wants to rant, whine and get his way - Nothing we can do about it.
    Alex "Cado" Portello - Atrox Enforcer
    Lakisha "Sheelai" Thompon - Solitus Doctor
    Al "Asdur" Orender - Solitus Martial Artist

I have no nose .. I peeked on Ani while she took a shower!

awesome

Next event I host I'll be sure to invite you. That way when you lag to absolute hell and the servers crash you can say it was your own fault because you bought a superior computer.

Hatchet

Hatchet has a rotten way of putting things.
    However there is huge lag creation non necessity items in game that can easily be detectable. For example go to Newland walk around a big you'll end up pausing for about 15 seconds every 15 seconds. Work your way into a store and come out again the lag goes away. Just try not to look at the bulletin board near the entrance or next to the mission terminals that seems to be what triggers the lag.

Go to Tir and FT notice the difference between how well you could move upon first entering Tir versus how well you can move after arriving at FT. Returning to an entrance or what not doesn't improve the lag that much you have to zone out and zone back in to clear it up to what it was.

It does mean that if you have any true team pvp type fights or wars that the lag you'll experience would probably be much greater.

I probably won't be here I still havn't found a reason to stay. This game is just a time waster and isn't really all that much fun for me. Doing solo missions is boring. Doing team missions is difficult to find a group difficult to keep a group especially if you get a hot head in the group and well you xp way too fast in team missions to do it to often you'll end up outlevelling your ability to keep up armor, nanos, or imps. Also I hate playing a spell caster class and I don't care what you actually call it you do not have a non spell caster class in this game. I'm just waiting to upgrade my computer so I can use the newer software that is on the market.

What you dont realize guys is some of us Live in Tir/Newlag whatever... sure Tir has some instabilites (me thinks the hardware was failing... They just had to rebuild that server didn't they)... But all in all Rarely Do i get high pings... Usualy during peak times of day when the Internet is busy anyway...

The problem Arises from the amount of textures that are rendered... Ao Renders EVERYTHING... And i Mean Everything.. In the area.. So say your wearing full carb and A coat that covers it completely say MA suit... THen the client Renders the suit and The carb.. Thus the funky graphics glitches that sometimes happen..

Get a graphics card that removes unseen objects helps.. Ati Radeon 9700, Matrox parthon(My new baby), And enable that feature. It helps tremendesly.. Can go to tara with 20 people down there and not lag at all.. Not even a heavy PvP'd box room affects me....

Yes it is your system... Even uber Stuff has its weaknesses.
    Q u o t e:
    ((OOC))

Pardon me for hijacking the thread, here..

But, Brion - if you don't want your mother to know you were up and on the computer at 3:29 in the morning - DON'T post on a forum that she reads.

Busted.
    Grounded.

From the WoW forums. best PWNAGE EVAH!!!

Anyway, I have said my piece now, I will only coming back if someone else posts something I think is wrong

Just one request of people though, try and remember you dont KNOW everything, and their maybe reasons for things you havent thought of. It will make your journey through life much more interesting, as you will learn alot more about the world.

Hugs

lilnymph
    Originally posted by Cz

Style over Substance

Get a graphics card that removes unseen objects helps.. Ati Radeon 9700, Matrox parthon(My new baby), And enable that feature.
    I once tried out the Matrox Patheon card with Morrowind .. boy what a difference .. but then again, Morrowind is just about the most extreme game when it comes to overdrawing as it's called.

But yes, AO suffers under it too, just not as much.
    Alex "Cado" Portello - Atrox Enforcer
    Lakisha "Sheelai" Thompon - Solitus Doctor
    Al "Asdur" Orender - Solitus Martial Artist

I have no nose .. I peeked on Ani while she took a shower!

Originally posted by AkodoReign
    Get a graphics card that removes unseen objects helps.. Ati Radeon 9700, Matrox parthon(My new baby), And enable that feature. It helps tremendesly.. Can go to tara with 20 people down there and not lag at all.. Not even a heavy PvP'd box room affects me....

Yes it is your system... Even uber Stuff has its weaknesses.
    You are probably right however the only reason I still play this game is because I don't have a decent enough graphics card to play other games. When I replace my computer I'm quitting this game due to other factors having to do with the fact thats it is a very boring game.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12