Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ARK Evolves

ARK Evolves

As ARK has grown exponentially and vacancies are limited, we have had to increase our requirements to join ARK. ARK requirements are effective immediately:

- A minimum of one level 30+ character or 2 level 20+ characters
    - No warnings on the account
    - Must have good AO knowledge and played AO a minimum of 3 months.
    - Must have an exceptional ability to communicate in standard written English.
    - Must have the time and commitment to support AO and ARK in addition to experience or natural abilities with Customer Service or producing Events.

Those chosen from the initial applicant pool will be interviewed and then accepted on a trial basis to be followed by a training program.

We look forward to continuing to help you on Rubi-Ka. Thank you to all of the Anarchy Online community for your wonderful support.
    Earn free game time and play with your friends[/b]

Anarchy Online Community Representative

Mmmmh... I am afraid now to know that these requirements are new. I guess that 30 is still a tremendously low level to be an ARK anyway.

And 3 months of playing... OMG.

Anyway I do really think that no player should be allowed in the CS in any way (and ARK is definitively about CS).

This is true for any online game. I am sorry but when I have a problem I need to have the help of someone working for the CS. Because I can get helps / sympathy from other players, and if I need to call for ARK support, then I need someone really profecient. Not only helpful.
    "Donner à des millions une connaissance de l'anglais, c'est les rendre esclaves". (Hind Swarâj, ch. 18)

Lvl 30?

BWAHHHHHHHAAAAAHAAAA!

Must have at lest one lvl 30 character? Come on funcom, dont you think you first line of 'cs' should at least have good knowledge of the game? Perhaps even have played long enough to understand the little quirks which you have programmed in? Long enough to have seen MOST of the world of RUbi-Ka and not only be familiar with Greater Tir County, Omni Forest, or Newland Desert?

Truly, in the currect game state a 'new' first time player can make level 30 easily in a few weeks. Does this experience imbue this player with the necessary level of knowledge to represent Rubi-Ka in an accurate way? More importantly, does this level of knowledge actually qualify the ARK to actually 'help' a player in need? I think not. WHat it does do, is simply throw more 'warm bodies' at your CS problem. It supplies you with more ARKS who can say "Sorry, I've never heard of this problem, I'll make a note of it" or "Please wait while I ask a GM". These answers are the same type that have frustrated the citizens of RUbi-Ka since inception.

My suggestions:

You have a core of disenchanted players who really have nothing to do in game currently. These players were 'awarded' a wonderful item called 'the pioneer backpack'. This backpack was supposed to be a symbol of thier loyalty to Funcom, and also I believe as a symbol of their longevity (knowledge) of the world. Thus the pack has a uber +150 teaching modifier Which BTW doesn't do diddly

These are the players you should be trying to get to represent you. Yes, most are disenchanted and normally a disenchanted customer isn't one you want in CS, however --- if these ppl still have active accounts --- they really want to see the world become a better place. They would do whatever they could to make RUbi-Ka a better place simply because they recognize the inherant greatness of this game. The potential for greatness is here in Rubi-Ka - it just has to be tweaked and patched out.

Yes, I am one of these players. I want to see AO become the foremost MMORPG. It has all the potential in the world. BUT - one of it's problems is horrid CS. And yes, this begins with the ARKS.

Any means necessary should be used to get these types of players to join the ARK program. Yes, it might be hard to get many of us to help. Some ideas might be:

1. Make the pioneer backpack useful. If we have one - allow us to xfer it to our ARK account. An ARK wearing this backpack woudl show citizens that this ARK actually had vast knowledge of RK.
    2. I'm sure Funcom could come up with other enticements to get very qualified ppl into the ark program.

If you can't get good ppl into the ark program. Make ark's BOTS. That is currently thier function as seen by players.

Cern

read

Level was only one thing required. An interview will prove ARK are good enough.

I'm afraid you pioneers know so much the game (I'm sure you will not say the opposite :-)), that ARKs are not there for you, they are mainly for low-level (1-30) characters asking themselves a few (a lot of) basic questions.

If you need help, what's wrong with the /petition ? Or the email support ? And the support of other players-pioneers ?

If you want to help others, go on, and you'll get the job easily, I'm sure. You'll do your best. But I know that a level 50 can help quite good a level 10 or even 30. Don't you think ?
    Stercoral.

Circle G Inc. - Your safety is our business.
    http://nattguiden.no/circle-g/

Sorry ---

ARK's are supposed to be there for EVERY player of the game. If I do an in game petition, who answers it? An ARK. An ark who usually has limited knowledge of the game.

Who better to help players of any level but the ppl that have seen the most of AO?

If you were seeking to have the VERY BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE (not that funcom is seeking this), would you want people who had only played the game for a few levels/months? Or would you want the people representing you who had been around the longest, therefore knowing more about any problems you might be having in game.

As Stercoral points out (thanks Stercoral), the level requirement is only one requirement. There are other requirements that you must also meet before you can attend the interview. The interview is a good judge of character and is the real yardstick against which an applicant is measured - not the level of their play character. I know some low level players that would make great ARKs (including their in-game knowledge). I know some level 150+ players that wouldn't make good ARKs. A requirement is there, yes, but its not the be all and end all. The person behind the screen rather than the character in-game is what matters most. I know alot of people that have been helped by ARK that would agree with me here.

ARK does an absolutely fantastic job on Rubi-Ka. There is a multitude of talented people there and more talented people join as days go by; which is the reason for the increased requirements.

Cern, if you feel so strongly about CS then please, do apply for ARK. I invite you to.
    Earn free game time and play with your friends[/b]

Anarchy Online Community Representative

Cosm, you are pointing something that is -I dare hope- obvious.

I still doubt that someone that has been playing AO 2-3 weeks and reached level 30 is really able to help someone with :

- Class specific issues (I am always hitting for min dmges is it normal ? My MA lost his weapons while zoning is it supposed to happen ? My pet is stuck in a wall, am I doing something wrong ?).

- Intricate game mechanic (So ok let's start over the way I should do an implant).

- Various badly documented issues (Like the recent fix to Ring of Luck).

- Geography (I'm lost in a 25% zone without any map, what is the best and safest way out ?).

- Equipment choices (OK explain me again why as an enforcer I shouldn't go HE ?).

- Nanos (Mmmhh... I shall buff my MP to be able to cast higher level nanos ?).

- Tradeskills (So I can build my own nanos uh ?).

- Character progression (Where shall I hunt now ? I feel I only can do missions).

Being helpful requires personal skills, in communication, patience and a lot of dedication. This is granted.

But it's not enough and a technical knowledge of the game is also required. This is a vast knowledge because this game IS vast. Because there's two factions, many breeds, many zones, many professions, many nanos and weapons, many tricks and many sights.

Saying all this, I am still describing people paid for a job. At least as a customer this is what I would like.
    "Donner à des millions une connaissance de l'anglais, c'est les rendre esclaves". (Hind Swarâj, ch. 18)

If all Funcom wants is...

ARKS's to be able to say

"Hmm, I dont know, let me get a GM"(edit: oops should be ...,let me see if a GM is on or available"

"I'm not familiar with that bug"

"I've never heard of that happen before"

"Tradeskills ROCKSOORZ"

"I'm not sure how you get to Tir from Varmit Woods"

"I don't know what you can hunt solo at lvl 60. "

"I'll put it in my reports"

"Please use the in game bug report tool"

"Bracelet? I've never heard of a braclet you can assemble"

etc etc

Then Funcon should certainly target thier ARK program at people who are relativly new to the game.

Cosmik : Yes there are other requirements as you have stated. The ability to communicate in English. Time to devote. Paltry level reqs and 3 months in game time. These are certainly the people that have the most knowledge of the game.

Cern

If I apply, will you give me free ice cream?
    Snarf: Level 165 Atrox NT

"At one time you were maybe a little useful Snarf. Now you're just being annoying." -- Hawkman

"Well one guy said Atrox was the worst breed for the NT. The other guy said......'You tell that to Snarf....he'll kick your arse!' You are a NT Rockstar!" -- Hemicuda

"Snarf, Snerf, Nerf. It's YOU that brought nerf to NT's you you!" -- Rhayden

"Snarf cuts to the core of the problem like a chainsaw to a bunny rabbit." -- Deaddreamer

By the way I am english-challenged ~ won't be a real good ARK.

Now SNARF stop being bitter, and go back cleaning the moat of your city.

Ok, so what exactly are the job responsibilities of an ARK? You people complaining that someone who's only played for a few months can't answer all these questions you pose, but 99% of those questions they shouldn't have to answer. As far as I know, ARKs are not there to be your personal guides and babysitters across Rubi-Ka. Asking them questions about tradeskills, where to hunt, what items to use, etc etc has nothing to do with their purpose.

As Cosmik said, the level of a character has very little to do with how good of an ARK you may be. They do get training, its not like they just choose people and *pop* they become ARKs and are set loose. Sure, an intimate knowledge of everything in and on Rubi-Ka may help a bit, but it is not the end-all be-all to being a good ARK.

PigLick

Originally posted by PigLick
    Ok, so what exactly are the job responsibilities of an ARK? You people complaining that someone who's only played for a few months can't answer all these questions you pose, but 99% of those questions they shouldn't have to answer. As far as I know, ARKs are not there to be your personal guides and babysitters across Rubi-Ka. Asking them questions about tradeskills, where to hunt, what items to use, etc etc has nothing to do with their purpose.

As Cosmik said, the level of a character has very little to do with how good of an ARK you may be. They do get training, its not like they just choose people and *pop* they become ARKs and are set loose. Sure, an intimate knowledge of everything in and on Rubi-Ka may help a bit, but it is not the end-all be-all to being a good ARK.

PigLick
    Even worse are the people that think ARKs are the game developers and expect detailed questions as if the ARKs attend the University of Funcom - Majoring in Anarchy Online Source Code.

Damn this is outrageously funny. You just launched the magic word 'complaining' when none was.

This is not a complaint but a critic on the fact that :

1) ARK are players - hence people that pay for the game and that are not working for it. This is a debate that was started with UO a few years ago.

2) That the requisites for ARK recruitment will not ensure that these helpful people will have a clue on many issues, tricks and mechanism of the game.

On the 1) topic I have mixed feelings. I know that I, for instance, can be very useful to beginners or even more seasonned players. And I like to do that because AO like any other online game is a social game. But it doesn't seems right for me that players take the role of the CS in something that looks like a part-time -and sometimes full-time- job.

On the 2) topic, read my previous post. I am sorry but the requisites for ARKs are frightening lows and in my view totally inadequate. Even if they are stuck in the backyards just to explain the basic tricks to beginners.

Now honestly all this is not an issue to me. I don't need nor desire the help of any ARK ingame, when my guildmates and friends can solve 90% of my problems.

I play this game and don't feel bad because I died from insta-death or lag. I would be pissed off to loose my precious Yalmaha to a bug but that's all.

If it matters maybe my perspective is better understood.

Now seriously level 30 ?

This might be a bit off topic I suppose, but I guess I'm ranting about how it's going to help alot if ARKs can really solve problems.

One time I couldn't zone into 2HO - attempting to zone in would time my client out, and logging back in would find myself exactly where I had attempted to zone.

/petitioned of course. Got a response from an ARK who requested that I zone for him. I did of course, anc crashed. Less than 3 minutes later after he played with some stuff, he asked me to log off, passed the problem to people with functional power in the game world and had the problem resolved in less than 15 minutes later - after which I logged back on and tested, finding myself now able to zone.

He even checked back with me to confirm the problem had resolved without me needing to further contact him. Aside from the time waiting for a response, it took less than 25 minutes to resolve a problem I petitioned about. Wish I could remember the ARK's name for the sake of just recognizing his leetness publicly, but my memory is poor there.

I imagine if all problems could be snapped down like this, AO would have much more stress-free... if a GM could have hit the logs, checked my death, seen a bugged death, and just replaced my lost time (heh, see sig), I would have been ok. Annoyed for a moment, but I would have just gotten on with the game and kept kicking mob booty with my team. But, like every other player, I got a 'sorry, deal with it'.

What can I say? The bugs shouldn't be there, but if ARKs or GMs had the ability to check out some logs and help mitigate the damage... but who am I kidding.

-Tokens lost because an inventory is full - even though it has 8 slots open. Thanks stacked robot/monster parts!

-XP lost from double-hitting monsters, instant no-hit no-aggro deaths, and other various intensely frustrating bugs.

-Yalms lost from crappy zoning bugs.

ARKs being able to fix something when a bug makes the game go bad - kind of a pipe dream around here really.

OK, I did it

Since I have nothing else to do in game other than repetitive mission after repetitive mission. I have accepted your invitation and applied for ARK status. I'm truly hoping this will enhance my in game experience as currently I have become bored with the game.

Dont get me wrong. I dont hate AO nor do I ever flame Funcom. I truly believe that this game - could easily be the best MMORPG, bar none. Even better than those that are soon to be released. Perhaps in some small way I can help.

Call me fan boy if you like. I'm ready to go to a higher plane. Beam me up Cosmik!

Cern

So what's your class / level Cern ?

I'm a 138 MP. I started at launch and have not leveled in the last 2 months. I've seen most everything, I was a successful MP before MP's were fashionable. Hopefully I can find happiness within the ARK program.

Good luck then.

I went through the ARK training scheme although never made it to full advisor status through lack of time. The people who work on the ARK scheme are very good - work very hard and believe it or not do use a vaste expanse of knowledge to attempt to answer peoples problems. I can only commend them for their effort and wish them the best.

No matter how knowledgable these people are, people who are keen and willing to help, but who don't necessarily have sufficient game knowledge, will make it on to the scheme. At the end of the day keeness to learn is really important. These people are valuable assets and are supported in game by the backing of the scheme, but may struggle with some of the more technical problems.

These new rules do go some way towards making the scheme better, but only reinforce the problem I had with the scheme. As an ARK you are required to work 10 hours per week on average with no more than a couple of weeks in a row of 6 hours or less. For this you receive your monthly subscription for free.

I didn't sign up for the free subscription - infact to pay me $1/hour of my time is almost a slap in the face. I signed up to help other players. To then be told I must do 10 hours a week was an impossible constraint on me - if I had done that I would have no time to play my main.

So my comment to the powers that be that run the scheme is surely it would be worth having players as ARKs who can only log in for 2 hours a week, but who have been playing since the beta days and really know the game mechanics and geography?

I have been playing since beta 4, have a 120 engineer as a main, have flown most of the world, know routes to places, make and plan my own implants, have made nano crystals from instruction discs, have made the first parts of the mysterious bracers, make jewelry... need I go on!

I'd love to help but couldn't put in the time to meet the ARK scheme requirements. Believe it or not, I get more satisfaction from helping the newbies in my guild, and, as an engineer with beacon warp, you can fix half of the game problems that ARKs can anyway. Stuck in a wall, beacon warp - stuck in a plane, beacon warp - cant see team mates in a dungeon - beacon warp.

So people if you can't put in the hours, become an engineer and run around warping ppl in trouble Either that or Funcom CS, get a clue about requirements for ARKs and get people in who have played a class to its full and can act as consultants - to work alongside the level 30 people with 3 months experience who are willing volunteers with time on their hands.

Once again, I would like to commend the people on the ARK scheme - you do a superb job and none of the above is intended as a critisim of your work, more a heads up on the way things should move.

Soton

Brava Soton!

Well said. I didn't realize that Funcom comped your account in exchange for your time as an ARK.

Time isn't a problem for me as I'm not playing my main until FunCom does something for the high level game.

Cern

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast