Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Farewell to AO from Dovve

Farewell to AO from Dovve

This has to be the hardest post I have ever written on any messageboard in my life. Saying goodbye to so many people that I have come to know and care about during my time playing AO is .... i don't have words.

Everyone has been wonderfull here, I had fun times, deep conversations, long friendships, loves, and so many things I will never forget. So many of you have had an impact on me, you know who you are, and I will never forget you. I'll miss all of you dearly.

The level to which I got into things here is what has lead me to this point where I must say goodbye. My internet addiction and denial of it has taken me to a point where I must get a hold of it.

I realize that many people have what it takes to play a game like this "casually" in a healthy manner. I am unfortunately not one of those people. I am currently battling bi-polar disorder (manic depression) and the escapism that a game like AO offers is too much like a drug for me.

While I am getting professional help for this, my departure from AO is a self prescribed solution. It's something that I know I have to do. Please don't be sad to see me going. Instead be happy to know that I will be out in the real world turning it into a place I want to be, and not one I want to escape from.

--

The map and skin work that I have done here I am turning over to the AO community (they have also been updated today). Anyone who wants to can feel free to download the files, update, colorize, edit, re-arrange, alter and re-distribute them as they see fit. All I ask is that you provide a credit about where the source materials came from, and that you maintain their "open-source" nature.

I also have made a set of layered Photoshop master files for the map that will be a great help to anyone who wants to make their own themed version of the map. They are available on my website, just scroll down a bit.

I was also working on a special version of the map for Funcom that was going to be worked into the game. I will unfortunately not be able to complete this task. All of my files can also be considered open domain for Funcom to use if they choose to in the shipping version of the game. I can't tell you how much I appreciate their recognition of my work and the kindess they have shown me. I wish them all the best.

--

I will leave my account open for a few days while I say my goodbyes and respond on this board a little. *big hugs for everyone* I'm going to miss you all so much. I will still be checking my mail at peacefairchild@hotmail.com if you want to drop a line now and then.

Lots of love,

Dovve (161 Meta-Physicist)
    Dovvey (101 Martial-Artist)
    Peace42 (54 Fixer)
    Dovve42 (40 Trader)
    Dove42 (10 Doctor)
    Last edited by Dovve; Nov 19th, 2002 at 00:00:44.

Unhappy

Nooooooooo!!!

We'll miss you.
    --
    Kenlon- Combat Medic, RK1
    "This! Is! My! Boomstick!" Gear.

Creaky old vet, back for another go-round.

Well, I can't say I ever knew you in person...just from occasional exchanges on the boards and your contributions to the AO community.

But, as someone who also devotes a lot of spare time to making tools for the AO community, I have always held much appriciation for your hard work and dedication.

I sincerely hope you get any personal issues resolved, and I wish you all the luck in the future. You will be missed.

-Jayde

Thou we've never met, you are one of the people in the AO community I respect the most. Your tools have made the game more fun for many many people.

I wish you the very best of luck and your personal issues will resolve. I know.

Big Thanks from me, and the rest of the AO community.
    /DaveDread (D.A.V.E.D.R.E.A.D.: Digital Artificial Violence and Exploration Device/Replicant Engineered for Assassination and Destruction mohahaha)

200 Opifex Clanner Gimp - Dinged in Style! (dimached a Virulent Minibull) Finally got my head straight, nothing like a goat helmet to get you in shape again. Oh, and those marks on my forehead (yah, still visible through the helmet, duh)... It was a Motorcycle baby. Really. Ran me over in West Athens while I was working on my tan. Think I look bad? You should see the biker.

/me falls to the ground, grabs head, screams

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooo....................................... ...............................................
    ~~~~~
    Katelin "Missmaul" Locknane -Sloooowly climbing her way out of the dank pits of gimpness. But stil crazy. Ya know...just in case you cared.

Thanks for your work it will always be remebered...Take care...

I wish you great success in your personal life. Your map has been invaluable to me and many others.

OMG!!!!!!!!!!

what a nightmare
    ?

"Please don't be sad to see me going"

Cant help BUT to.. You have changed the way that a lot of us play the game with your tireless efforts.. You will be missed...
    Maximus "Immense" Meridius - Enforcer (Don) My Armor
    Sun "Firegoddess" Kaba - Super Sneak Agent
    "Gridarmor" - Grid Armor Wearin' Fixer
    STORM - Best of the best
    Creator of AO Character Lookup, click to download
    Damn it feels good to be a Gangster

Best of wishes for you in real life take care, youll be missed.

You've made a positive impression on a large number of people, Dovve. That's quite an accomplishment. Grats and best wishes.
    Heals - they're not just for tradeskills anymore
    Hypos omni doc RK2 <-- stupid enough to have thought that going past level 150 would help her be a better doc
    Phlair omni mp RK2 solo char
    Nerfbat omni enf RK2 awarded the hammer of braveness
    Shadow Ops

Dovve, we have never met, never talked, but you have made a huge influence on my time in AO, I am sad to see you go..though I have not gotten to know you, to me you seem to be a very nice person, very nice.

I am sad to see you go, but I am also happy for you, that you are taking steps to making your life better. Reality must always take precedence.
    Maybe one time, when things straighten out, we will see you here again, on a casual level.
    Until then, or for the rest of eternity, I wish you all the best in life.

Good luck, and Thank you Dovve..
    "They have some pretty wierd things in Tir"
    "Yeah, they're called clanners"

Ask any fixer, any real fixer. It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile; winning's winning.

wow

Well, Dovve, I can't say that I ever interacted with you personally either ingame or on the forums, but I will be sad to see you go. And happy for you. I've struggled with many things that are similar to what you've described, and yr perspective in incredibly positive. I have no doubt that you will be successful in yr quest for an enlightened life. I'll miss the opportunity to get to meet you, but every time I use yr map or skin I'll remember that you are enjoying yr LIFE. It'll be poignant, but happy. Best of luck, love. Be well.

Grrrrrrrrrr

This sucks.....

I'll miss you.
    Vergil : OT NT : Dept of Applied Nanotechnology
    Jobe Plaza
    Retired NT Professional
    Proud Owner of RubiKa's Biggest Banjo Collection
    Server First!

Dear Dovve,

You have made an enormously positive contribution to the entire AO community and are a very well liked and respected member of our little 'family'. I wish you the best in all you do.

With highest regard,

Kwerk
    156 Martial Artist General
    Black Dawn Syndicate

Farewell sweet lady...*bows*

Hmm,

Are you sure you want to go? That site looks a bit crackpot to me. They've even got their own popular psychology book.

Seriously, to everyone. If you're studying and losing grades because of this game - quit now!. Otherwise don't sweat it, there's always another job/change in lifestyle round the corner.

Grades are the only thing you can't easily do again.

Dovve, we've not met, and I've not used any of your maps yet.

But... I know how internet addiction can affect one's RL. Seen too many of such cases when I was a game admin.

So I'm here wishing u the best of luck in getting your RL stuff in order.

Hope to see u back here one day (which would imply u had succeeded in RL by then).

BTW, sometimes complete abstinance might not be a good "cure". See if u can do it in moderation. I'm no expert, but IMO, a big swing from one side to another cannot be that healthy...

Dovve,

You have been an invaluable friend and ally in this world. While I will miss you greatly, I am quite certain that you are doing the right thing for yourself, and hope it all turns out well. Please keep in touch, if you can, and may all your journeys in life be as successful and fruitful as your time here. I will of course make the resources of my site available to you for hosting.

Hope to see you again sometime... Farewell, my friend.
    Last edited by Krystanova; Nov 18th, 2002 at 05:09:55.
    Rhiannon "Krystanova" Pourier
    Xenobiologist and Explorer, 179 Adventurer
    Explorer 100%, Achiever 53%, Socializer 47%, Killer 0%

Visit Faunlore: Rubi-Kan Wildlife, the Anarchy Online bestiary!

Its great your opening the sources for all your work, but nobody will ever be able to make maps and skins as you did.
    Jenslove-165
    Born-July 3rd, 2001

Finally got me a naner suit...

Account Created - 2001-06-28 03:53:22

Jenslove is not, has never been, and will never be Ebayed. So stop harrassing me.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast