Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What video card do you use?

Dual 1.2GHz Tbird Palamino on Tyan Tiger MP
    1gig Regestered DDR
    2x 36 Gig 10k RPM U160 IBMs on AHA 29160 64-bit PCI
    GeForce3 (original)
    I play 1600x1200x32 Windowed (takes up full screeen anyways, but can alt tab to clicksaver and Mozilla easier)

Built this over a year ago, spent some $$$, but havent had to upgrade in quite a while. SCSI Drives dont hit the CPUs at all when loading in all the textures for the cityscapes so they are free to render the world and do other things. 7200 Delta fans (ugh) work well, but louder than a 747 at takeoff.

Not sure on FPS, its never unplayable tho, and runs quite nicely in trade and entertainment.

Dual boot Debian / Win2k

I love being able to do a "make -j12 bzImage" and only haveing to wait about 24 seconds.
    IMI Tellus TT Advocate.
    Helsinki Dual wielding Tellus Soldier
    Chlamydia Combat Medic "turn right and cough..."
    Heygimme Gourmet baby chef and connoisseur.

Athlon XP 1800+
    512mb DDR-333
    7200rpm 40gb HD
    GeForce 4 MX4600 (waiting for the next-gen GeForce Ti boards)
    Windows XP

Yesterday I was running AO (windowed - pretty much full-screen but has the nice "minimize" button at the top), with Outlook XP, Word XP, Frontpage 2000, Winamp and Photoshop on and off, and had no problems with frame rate or with switching programs.

On the GeForce 4 line, stick with any "Ti" model, the "Mx" models are more of a step back from the Geforce 3 line than a step up. They are being sold purely to fill the low-end market with a chip that says "NVidia"

Originally posted by Fion
    Geforce2 MX Original 32mb

I know, sad hehe.

I am within a few days hopefully, upgrading to a Geforce4 4200 or an MX 440 if I have to. Depends on which I get a better deal at. Anyone with a 440 who can tell me if it's worth 50 bucks? I know 420's suck and don't perform as well as a Geforce3 Ti 200, but what about a 440?
    Deagnor 204 Solitus Fixer (Omni) Director of R.U.R.
    ---*** Other RuRians ***---
    83 Opti Pistol Advent Motafrancis | Ovnor 161 Solitus Engineer
    117 Nanomage NT Knightweaver | DiceSlice 83 Opti 1HE Advent
    145 NanoMage MP Miner49 | Mohelunz 69 Solitus Doc
    141 Atrox Enf Cluedozer | Icewrench 63 Opti Fixer
    Icelo 57 Opti Keeper
    Sig updated Sept 2, 2008

My comp:

GeForce3 Ti200 64Mb 30.87 det's
    AMD Thunderbird 1.3Ghz
    512Mb RAM

My wife's comp:
    GeForce4 Ti4600 128Mb 40.72 Det's
    AMD Thunderbird 1.3Ghz
    512Mb RAM

get bits of loading lag now and then, especialy busy days in the middle of trade.

I can't use the 40.72 drivers on the GF3, all the chat text turns into blocks, and I can't read anything.
    Deagnor 204 Solitus Fixer (Omni) Director of R.U.R.
    ---*** Other RuRians ***---
    83 Opti Pistol Advent Motafrancis | Ovnor 161 Solitus Engineer
    117 Nanomage NT Knightweaver | DiceSlice 83 Opti 1HE Advent
    145 NanoMage MP Miner49 | Mohelunz 69 Solitus Doc
    141 Atrox Enf Cluedozer | Icewrench 63 Opti Fixer
    Icelo 57 Opti Keeper
    Sig updated Sept 2, 2008

I'm currently running:

AMD T-Bird 1.4 ghz (Old school 133 mhz bus)
    512 PC 2400 DDR RAM CL 2
    40 gig IBM Deskstar
    GeForce 2 w/32 MB RAM

15 fps in Trade w/ about 40 people running around
    25 fps just about everywhere else
    60 fps in missions.

I have to put the view distance on 50% but I Have everything on max. Also put mipmap at best performance. I'm running the newset drivers, but not sure of the version number like 40.xx I think.

If you are currently in the market for a new video card and are going for the power I would hold off for a few months to see what NVIDIA's new chipset is going to be. Direct X 9 is just around the corrner and you will certinly kick yourself for not haveing a supporting card... Longhorn which is MS next gen. OS will also REQUIRE a DX 9 Video card and they are doing away with however windows are displayed currently and going to use textures purely for all windows enviroments... But that can change.. Just my 2 credits worth.

Also note. ATI totally blows in the video game market. Almost all of the video cards need tweaking to maybe work with a lot of games. NVIDIA is the catch all. Just about every video game will be make to support their video cards instruction sets. So just be paitent.
    Maglin Opifex - Enforcer
    Kandra Solitus - Keeper

Originally posted by speardancer
    My comp:

GeForce3 Ti200 64Mb 30.87 det's
    AMD Thunderbird 1.3Ghz
    512Mb RAM

My wife's comp:
    GeForce4 Ti4600 128Mb 40.72 Det's
    AMD Thunderbird 1.3Ghz
    512Mb RAM
    steal your wifes graphics card !
    Spewing truth from every orifice.
    Fixanox - Member of Eternal Fury.
    Cronoco

I'm running a

Athlon XP 2100+
    512mb DDR333
    40gb Western Digital (my primary drive)
    12gb Maxtor (My secondary/backups drive).
    Hercules Geforce2 MX Original, 32mb.

Since GeforceFX cards will start comming out over the next 2 weeks, prices on Geforce4's are bound to start dropping. I'm gonna get a Geforce4 Ti 4200, hopefully by the end of the month.
    http://community.anarchy-online.com/...1/name/xaielao
    "Yea, I've got your information.. you got my money?"
    Proud member of 3305 Local
    A non-GA Fixer, and pround of it!

Fergus ~ 27 Soldier (after wipe) ~ Test
    "No escaping pain! You belong to me.." Megadeath-Skin o' my Teeth

Fion ~ 25 Opi MA (after wipe) ~ Test
    "Woh look at that MOB! Think I can take it? *SMACK* OUCH!"

Dual P4 (yes i know they suck)
    1.5gig RAM
    Quadro4 900 XGL 128mb

P4 2.8 gighaertz clocked to 3
    GF4 4600 (throwing in a radeon 9500 pro in a few days.. just gotta get it from the mail)
    1.5 gigs of RDRAM
    ~Chris

P4 2.53 Ghz
    512 MB of RIMM4200
    Original GeForce3 64MB

AO runs good although for some reason everything I try to do in the "background" is extremely slow. If I'm running AO it takes like 5 minutes to open a web page. I don't think it's AO's fault since my old Athlon 1.4 Ghz ran stuff in the background perfectly.
    -BlueMagic

Blue "Zyian" Magic RK1

GForce TI 4200
    Works kinda ok, had to disable anti-aliasing.
    My Voodoo 5500 worked much better but I had to upgrade sooner or later because 3DFX went poof.

I'm running the Gainward GF3 TI 200, with 2 month old Detonator drivers. With AO running in windows mode, I alt-tab all the time with no issues.

The rest of the computer is:

1.2 GHz Tualitan Celeron, running at 1.32 GHz

512 Megs SDRAM, cas 2

2 60 Gig IBM 120's in a RAID 0 array

Abit board (forget model number)

Windows XP Pro

I've been running AO, Winamp, Internet Explorer, and Photoshop all at the same time, with no issues, or lag.

Fred

must...see...more...
    FPS!
    Spewing truth from every orifice.
    Fixanox - Member of Eternal Fury.
    Cronoco

RE:-Graphics card

ASUS G3 64ddr
    AMD 1Ghz
    512 133sdram cruical cas2
    contection
    ADSL 512K

Can still be laggy at weekends, I need an upgrade ;p

peace
    cal
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

stuff

Asus A7700 GeForce 2 GTS 64 mb
    AMD Athlon 700mhz
    512mb SDRAM
    Win XP enterprise

The gfx cards a total beast - handles everything like its childs play. The only problem I have with AO atm is the HUGE memory leak. They say they fixed it, but they lied. After 2 hours last night AO was hogging over 400mb; sound fixed to you?

Oh - I also run on 56k at home until next month, so ping is never under 350, and ent/trade/tir/newland are really upleasant, and bs is.... well - its bs right?

I'm upping some time early next year, as soon as I get the cash... Going to 1.5+mhz, 1gb ram, raid 0, and prob g4 ti, but well see.
    Please allow me to introduce you to the voices:

The voices, the voices! Stop the voices!

The voices are played by, in order of appearance:

Gragoneye - loveable, hugable, with a fondness for violence!
    Servivious - bitter, twisted and a little unhinged..
    Blindhealer - just a little bit out of her depth!

Proud to be First Order!!

GF3 Ti200
    768MB Ram
    Win 98SE
    p3 500

Up until the last patch I didnt have anyproblems cept for the usual lag on zoneing, now, 5mins zoneing into Omni-Trade, 10-20 second Stops when new players enter my 40m Radius Of Lag.

Problems i see now are due to something FC did in the last patch with the video or how info is xfered. anyways I use to be able to enter say Trade with a clanner from any entrance and get up to safe height before the guards would waste her/im, now try and zone into trade, end up at a reclaim terminal.
    ~I am the Virtual Virus

Re: stuff

Originally posted by Servivious
    The gfx cards a total beast - handles everything like its childs play. The only problem I have with AO atm is the HUGE memory leak. They say they fixed it, but they lied. After 2 hours last night AO was hogging over 400mb; sound fixed to you?
    Hey! This game uses over 400Mb of RAM! Must be a memory leak!

Yeah, right...

Now if you can run the game until it falls over from lack of memory, that might be a memory leak... Not managed that here though.
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

My ***** is longer then urs :P

PS: stupid thread
    Achmed20 RK1 Fixer
    noone gives u power,
    real power is something u take

fear my lockpick ... plz?

Radeon 8500

no problems with any game atm,
    no Alt-Tab problem in AO, only a few performance problems cause of old slow CPU but still all settings at max in 1280res

I actually know a GForce3 User who cant get AO running anymore, despite he played it over a year with the same PC. He installed Win completly new several times with different drivers, nothing helped.

So I think, its not an issue of the grafic cards in general (except that Alt-Tab thingy with GForce*g*), but the personal PC configuration/hardware. A hint... throw away Win98/Me if your still using it. Since MS isnt supporting Win98 anymore problems here increasing noticable. Its the way MS is telling us: "Its time for our XP fee." :-)

Originally posted by Airri
    Since MS isnt supporting Win98 anymore problems here increasing noticable. Its the way MS is telling us: "Its time for our XP fee." :-)
    MS isnt supporting 95 not 98(yet)
    anyways i'd go to 2k before the Xp crap
    ~I am the Virtual Virus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast