Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What video card do you use?

Originally posted by Achmed20
    My ***** is longer then urs :P

PS: stupid thread

We don't care. We're all computer geeks. You play this game too. You're not the one to talk. (btw you spelled it wrong )
    ~Chris

Xyber:
    98 SE can only support 512 megs of ram.

FPS

I have around 15 fps in trade, i dunno in mission. setting all at medium 1152 x 864 32 Bit.
    My setup
    AMD t-Bird 1000
    320 meg ram
    Ati- Radeon nVivo 64 meg ddr (the first radeon)

I never had any problem with this ATI radeon card. My system is old, but Ao is really playable. I'll change it eventualy.

Actually, windows 9x does have support for up to 4 GB of RAM .... it's just horrible unstable with anything above 768 MB for some odd reason. Heck, it even starts having problems over 512 MB.

But it CAN handle up to 4GB and yes, I have seen it done just to show it off.

Even then, I'd recommend using Windows XP if you have the money for a system with 4GB RAM.
    Alex "Cado" Portello - Atrox Enforcer
    Lakisha "Sheelai" Thompon - Solitus Doctor
    Al "Asdur" Orender - Solitus Martial Artist

I have no nose .. I peeked on Ani while she took a shower!

Xtacy GeForce4 Ti-4200 128MB
    P4 1.8
    512 800Mhz RDRAM
    WinXP Service Pack 1

Was running smooth as Barry White in every part of AO at full max settings until 14.6 which now I run like crap almost every zone.

Sorz

You don't lose any stability, rather you lose efficiency and usage of the RAM... so performance starts to degrade per megabyte when compared to lower RAM numbers.
    ~Chris

cpu: amd 1900xp
    memory: 333mhz 512mb
    disks: 2 ata 133 20gigs in raid0
    vidcard: ati radeon 9700 pro (the one with the power connector hehe)

I run ao at 1024x768 32 with 8x anisotropic filtering on and 2x antialiasing.

I get around 40 fps almost everyon ein cities and sometimes in the 20's when its a packed house. but in missions and out in the wilderness, i get on average 75 or 80.

If i turn of anti aliasing and anisotropic i can get 100's most of the time but ao looks a lot better with antialiasing on (:

also, i do get some flickering when ao starts up but thats it, and yes it did crash the last time i tried to switch to the desktop.

Ayien

I run 512 meg ram on 98 SE.
    When I posted that on the Earth and Beyond boards someone told me that 98 would only handle 256 meg of ram.
    Another guy posted an article by Microsoft stating that Win 98 SE could only handle up to 512 megs of ram.
    He had a link and everything.

Originally posted by Slinki
    I run 512 meg ram on 98 SE.
    When I posted that on the Earth and Beyond boards someone told me that 98 would only handle 256 meg of ram.
    Another guy posted an article by Microsoft stating that Win 98 SE could only handle up to 512 megs of ram.
    He had a link and everything.

I can personally tell you that my other Win98SE box w/ 512MB of RAM runs like a champ.. I tested this thoery using 256MB and 512MB with memory hog games and DEFINATELY noticed that Windows 98 utilized the 512.... Even AO with 256MB would start caching hard drive space with 256MB after playing AO for over 30mins ish... But with 512MB in 98SE I played AO for hours and hours and never hit caching..
    Sorzella 173 NonoHPmage Assassin NT
    Advisor to Izgimmers Legacy
    /me reloads her Caterwaul
    /say No you may not have UA/TTS! However can I interest you in this fine Humidity Extractor?
    On a long enough timeline the survival rate of everyone drops to zero...

LOL im running AO on a dinosaur of a machine a p3 700 running a Voodoo 5500 (remember those? hehe) saving my pennies for a new machine my hubby nabbed the last new one we bought <sigh> (as well as the nice new confy computer chair I bought for myself

The game is suprisingly solid on my ole faithful machine , rarely crashing at all, lag being the only problem for me.

Currently have a Radeon 8500. I hate the heck out of it.

I was going to get a GF4 Ti4600, but I have since decided to wait for the NV30. Or is that GFFX now? Whatever.

Right now I am at home at my parent's house for Thanksgiving break. Tonight I played AO on their P3 500 / TNT2 (32MB). I have to say that performance wasn't really that much less than my Athlon XP 1800+ / Radeon 8500 (64MB). This says one of two things, or both:

1) The AO engine doesn't scale for s***.
    2) The Radeon 8500 is a complete POS.
    Gogo "Atremis" Yubari
    220 MA - RK1
    Tranq

There are 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Radeon 8500, Athlon XP 1600 with 512 megs of ram. My rig runs well, what problems I have I'm pretty sure stem from my crappy internet connection.

p4 2.6ghz
    1024 MB ddrram
    GeForce4 Ti-4200 128MB
    Win XP

runing just fine
    I never had any problems

Last edited by cathrax; Nov 20th, 2002 at 14:35:37.
    3dmax is a way of life

210 Ma. Techlog
    175 Doc. Tecdoc
    145 Mp. Tecmeta

my old system was a (hold on to your hats now)
    p2 450
    640mb ram
    asus GeForce2 gts 32mb ddr
    7200 rpm disk

worked pretty good actually.. cept when being in a VERY crowded place..

my current system is:
    amd xp 2100+
    Geforce4 ti 4600
    512 mb ram 333mhz
    WD-SE 7200 rpm..

works like a charm

Arrow

The Win9x familly supports up to 512Mb, more than that it will not make sensible use of, and is not recommended. WinNT supports either 2Gb or 3Gb and I've no idea about Win2K and WinXP (though I think 3Gb is the maximum on a 32-bit processor as the other 1Gb of address space is needed for i/o, bios etc).
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 2.133GHz 333 MHz FSB
    Leadtek A250 GeForce4 4600ti 128 MB
    Asus A7V8X w/gigabit LAN and Serial-ATA RAID
    2x Corsair XMS 512 MB PC2700(333 MHz DDR) 2-2-2
    3x Western Digital 120 GB 1200JBSE 8mb cache drives (2 in RAID-0, one in an external FireWire caddy)
    2x 3ware Parallel-ATA - Serial-ATA converters for the internal drives.
    SoundBlaster Audigy Platinum Ex
    Windows XP Pro SP1
    DirectX 9 Beta
    Detonator Version: 40.72 official WHQL certified

I have no problems running AO in 1600x1200x32 with true 4x FSAA (not Quincunx) with full detail, view distances, etc. I don't believe I've ever dropped below 20 FPS (Though I find it rather amusing that I can run any other game on the market at the same detail level, resolution, FSAA setting, etc and be shocked if I drop below 90 FPS.. ) . ...and since I always run in windowed mode, alt-tabbing isn't an issue.
    Last edited by Knightwulf; Nov 21st, 2002 at 09:51:55.
    I hold no ties to any faction.

I am Clan, only because it suits my purposes. I will not fight your war for you, as it is not my war. Unless it benefits me.
    I am not Omni, as I am not a sheep. I have individual thoughts and feelings and I do not take orders well.
    I am not Neutral as I believe in taking any advantage offered to me.

I go where the winds take me. I believe in absolute freedom. I sell to the highest bidder, no matter their affiliation.

I am Fixer.

Knightwulf

Originally posted by Atremis

1) The AO engine doesn't scale for s***.
    2) The Radeon 8500 is a complete POS.
    Uhm.. That would be a resounding YES on both accounts.
    I hold no ties to any faction.

I am Clan, only because it suits my purposes. I will not fight your war for you, as it is not my war. Unless it benefits me.
    I am not Omni, as I am not a sheep. I have individual thoughts and feelings and I do not take orders well.
    I am not Neutral as I believe in taking any advantage offered to me.

I go where the winds take me. I believe in absolute freedom. I sell to the highest bidder, no matter their affiliation.

I am Fixer.

Knightwulf

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123