Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Notum Wars vs. SWG PvP?

Notum Wars vs. SWG PvP?

Which will be better? It seems SWG players are going to make their own "unofficial" PvP servers. Notum Wars might rock too but the professions are so unbalanced.

http://boards.stratics.com/php-bin/s...ostlist&fpart=

This will ROCK! A normal 'galaxie' with normal ruleset designated by players for PvP. It will not be as harsh as Felucia with constant threat of ganking but you can build your toon to maximum perfection! I cant wait! See you all on Bloodfin Q1 2003!
    . : Oldskule - 87 Martial Artist RK1 Kung Fu Fighter! : .

. : Ternak - 112 Soldier RK1 *Dead* : .

. : Jenerik - 8 Enforcer RK1 Just another generic Enforcer : .

I will refrain from comment..

But remember who made the game, and remember that any mmorpg will be full of problems from the start.

Everyone keeps talking all these new games up into the clouds.
    Wait until they come out at least before you start talking about how great they are =P
    Legion
    Beartwo

and a whole litter of bearcubs ...

"Only the dead have seen the end of war." -- Plato
    "You see me now, a soldier, of a 1000 psychic wars...." -- Blue Oyster Cult

If the movement gains any steam, I'll be on Bloodfin playing with friends probably as a Neutral until the Hutt faction gets implemented. It's going to be nice to be able to be in a close-knit guild and be able to help tip the tides of war without having to sell your soul to some humongous Player Association.

If the movement doesn't gain any steam, I'll still keep an eye out on the major guild websites and follow where the major PvP-oriented PA's are headed.

The skill system and PvP systems seem to be quite well thought out. As stated in the referenced post, SW: G appears to be the spiritual successor to UO. AO is truly the successor to EverQuest in space.

I can hope that someday AO learns from SW: G and becomes less of a loot chasing level treadmill and returns to its roots of a skill-based system. PvP however, as evidenced by Notum Wars may never provide enough thrills for one who prefers a guild comprising of 20 very good friends. SW: G will provide me and the 19 others many opportunities to enlist for battles to the highest bidder and have our presence felt.

Words from the SWG beta (3 close friends testing, have watched them play it for hours) is that the gameplay is horrendous. Doesn't have the Fast-First-Person-Shooter movement style of AO, more slow like AC/EQ, glitchy as hell (granted still a beta) and the balance is just laughable. Not to mention SOMEHOW all these new games years past AO and AO still has better graphics than them all.

I don't know, I know I'm sticking around until AO gets too boring to play. New mmorpgs will be like when everyone left AO for DAOC and came back 2 months later. Galaxies might be vast, but it's going to be on XBOX.... What does that tell you about the audience they are aiming for, and how watered down it will be for the masses.

Whaam

I find it hard to believe that SWG doesn't have better graphics than AO. I've seen the gameplay videos on Stratics.

Current SWG testing is all focused testing in Betas 1 and 2. They disable almost everything and test 1 or 2 systems at a time. I don't see how one can any make broad characterizations when the game is being played/tested like this. The servers aren't up all the time and thus testers are not running around playing on their own. That comes in Beta 3.

Will be interesting to see what SWG comes to, if it will be crawling with kiddoes named lokeskywooker1-20k, it better be pvp all over the place so you can pass time massacring them all
    Hermy
    Shadelore
    Retired.

Turn based is rather boring for pvp. UO was fun few years but not so much now. Rather pvp in nw myself. The thought playing game with people camp movie ticket lines weeks in advance kinda scares me too..
    Last edited by Divinecross; Nov 19th, 2002 at 00:13:28.

I think SWG will do it better.
    Fear is the Mind Killer.
    You wasted life, why wouldn't you waste death?

The skill system and PvP systems seem to be quite well thought out. As stated in the referenced post, SW: G appears to be the spiritual successor to UO. AO is truly the successor to EverQuest in space.
    I love this quote! It is so true.

Words from the SWG beta (3 close friends testing, have watched them play it for hours) is that the gameplay is horrendous. Doesn't have the Fast-First-Person-Shooter movement style of AO, more slow like AC/EQ, glitchy as hell (granted still a beta) and the balance is just laughable. Not to mention SOMEHOW all these new games years past AO and AO still has better graphics than them all.

I don't know, I know I'm sticking around until AO gets too boring to play. New mmorpgs will be like when everyone left AO for DAOC and came back 2 months later. Galaxies might be vast, but it's going to be on XBOX.... What does that tell you about the audience they are aiming for, and how watered down it will be for the masses.
    Please don’t make me find you IRL and put the smack on. Were you high while typing that? It is in beta! BETA! You talk about balance! AO is not balanced.... constantly freaking nerfing everything and then loving. XBOX is just for maximum market potential....This game like UO will be truly skill based not smacking level reqs on nanos.... Still after all this time no guild housing.... No meaningful PvP.... A real faction system with real consequences.... Not to mention multiple servers with actual differences.... Please don’t make me put the smack on....

lokeskywooker1-20k
    GMs in SWG will not let you have any semblance to a name of anyone in the SW universe.... No numbers.... No 1337 speak (there is a filter!).... There will be meaningful RP! So far SWG is looking to be the best game ever! Just waiting on my beta acceptance

This is a beta going live supposedly in months. What the hell im I supposed to compare it to if all there is, is a beta? Think before you post. They are asking for comparisons, what do you want me to compare it to? How i THINK the game MIGHT be when it goes live?

"You talk about balance!" - Yep I do
    "AO is not balanced...." - I know this after a year here, whats your point?
    Last edited by Kikamiro; Nov 19th, 2002 at 14:48:42.

No numbers? How will they deal with the 500 billion xbox players and 12 year olds on aol? They are going for maximum marketing? I agree, and thats why it's gonna be watered down and standardized for the 12-15 year old masses (their main market).

Originally posted by Brandon

GMs in SWG will not let you have any semblance to a name of anyone in the SW universe.... No numbers.... No 1337 speak (there is a filter!).... There will be meaningful RP! So far SWG is looking to be the best game ever! Just waiting on my beta acceptance

Riiiight. Just like how DAoC was going to be perfect, too?
    And EQ before it?

Hah.
    All Software Sucks. Some we like anyway.
    --
    Kenlon- Combat Medic, RK1
    "This! Is! My! Boomstick!" Gear.

Creaky old vet, back for another go-round.

Well at launch there is like 20 some odd servers each with a player limit of 5,000 I think.... So lets say they have only 14 letters in a characters name A-Z is 26 letters the ' is 1 and the - is one.... Put those together in a comination and it equals like 30 trillion or something... it is exponetial.... So name will not be a problem.... only first name is Unique to server... so the unique name could be like Ra'Tha and then last name like Al'Lan-Amire.... Lots and lots of combos....

mmm swg
    I am Dnastyone Official Broom pusher for The Professionals
    Painmage my newest funnest guy
    PHEAR ME RK1 Yazule IMMMM BACK

I would have to say that this is an typicall example of how an flame should not look like. You need to think things through and calm down before you try to write an flame... Im sorry but I would rate this flame with an 1. Aggression is to high, grammar and cursing isnt to well planned... Maybe he has an point somewhere in there but I dont even want to find it. - Centurion3

ROFLOL

Originally posted by Whaambulance
    You know, that's a good point. It's already going to have the broadest appeal of any MMOG, and it's going on the X-Box as well...

I think it may be serious n00b/d00d/idi0t paradise.

I can't agree with you on the graphics, though. AO's still very presentable and the design throughout is great, but SWG looks to have better graphics. Higher poly models, that sort of thing.

And just as an aside to the excited folks: if you're already getting into fanboy mode for an MMOG that hasn't even left Beta yet... you're setting yourself up for disappointment. I'll check it out sometime after release, but I've got no expectations for SWG, good or bad.
    k- This message has been reviewed by intrusive goons searching for "evil-doers".

Unhappy

i liked UO pvp....
    Globuar - My first attempt at life on Rubi-Ka....

Originally posted by AngryCrat
    Whaam

I find it hard to believe that SWG doesn't have better graphics than AO. I've seen the gameplay videos on Stratics.

Current SWG testing is all focused testing in Betas 1 and 2. They disable almost everything and test 1 or 2 systems at a time. I don't see how one can any make broad characterizations when the game is being played/tested like this. The servers aren't up all the time and thus testers are not running around playing on their own. That comes in Beta 3.
    Originally posted by Brandon
    Whaam

Please don’t make me find you IRL and put the smack on. Were you high while typing that? It is in beta! BETA! You talk about balance! AO is not balanced.... constantly freaking nerfing everything and then loving. XBOX is just for maximum market potential....This game like UO will be truly skill based not smacking level reqs on nanos.... Still after all this time no guild housing.... No meaningful PvP.... A real faction system with real consequences.... Not to mention multiple servers with actual differences.... Please don’t make me put the smack on....
    I cant believe how people can draw the conclusion that it will be great eother as you yourselves state its in beta1 and 2 how can you draw that conclusion when others cant draw the conclusion that its not so great?

I for one is gonna test it and laugh when i see peoples stupid ways to bypass their filters and exploit their way through the game then i will quit.

EDIT: With the wording you I dont mean the original posters but people in common that raise SWG to the skies.
    Last edited by Eerieness; Nov 22nd, 2002 at 13:39:09.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast